✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[21-Sept-2011] Coldplay @ Much Music, Toronto

I was surprised to see that some people were disappointed with the crowd's energy. I watched the taping and I was impressed with the level of interest the audience was showing - singing all the lines, jumping, etc. Not to mention it was probably the worst weather of the summer festivals this year. Chris asked them to sing twice - he wouldn't do that if he didn't think the audience was into it. Letterman's audience was terrible. I couldn't believe the people checking their phones in the front row that night!!!!!!! In Canada, Chris said they have the best fans in the world. He doesn't say that at every concert - they must have been pleased with the fan reaction! Great show!!!!

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh man, was this such a surreal moment or what. Even after 2 days, it just doesn't seem like it happened. It was amazing.

My sister and I got there at 12:30pm (wristband line) and we met such amazing people in line (including coldplayer, w1ll1am7) where it was 6 of us then PlayAMessage met up with us (it was nice meeting you and anytime! always here to help out a fellow coldplayer)! We knew gates opened for us at 6:45pm but waiting in line made the experience awesome as well!

STORY: I swear I saw Guy walk past our line outside of Much but only one other person saw as well, but I was too starstruck to even say a word (but he seemed busy or needed to go somewhere, probably to the Edge interview)

Much Music were very well prepared and super nice to all of us (apparently they knew months before that Coldplay was going to come! I don't know how they kept that secret for so long!). A couple of people who work at Much Music gave out ponchos and answered a lot of questions we had (Mostly being: Were in the front of the line?). They did not tell us about the setlist - obviously wanted to keep that a secret! They took a picture of us (all 7!) because we were first in line, that was very nice of them! If we had any questions, we would tweet them and get answers within minutes! We also got to see the band's soundcheck for a good 10 minutes or so! That was really cool! And it rained. A lot. Forgot to mention that. Haha!

Then it came, 6:45pm. They started closing off Queens St. and they took us into the lot in 20s at 7pm and even though my sister and I are 5'0 and 5'2 respectively, we had a very nice view of the stage (about less than 10 people behind!). But I was a tad jealous of the Rogers ticket holders but honestly, anywhere in the lot, you had a very good view.

Much Music entertained us until 9pm and then, the lights dimmed and the rain stopped! And next thing you know, Coldplay was on stage. Everything about the concert was just flawless, it was amazing. I don't know how to describe it. It felt so intimate (even with thousands of people watching behind us), it was…no words. From the moment MX/HLH started to In My Place to playing Clocks to their newer songs (Paradise sounds AMAZING live), it was just perfect. The crowd was great! Singing along to both the newer and old songs. It was very nice of them to do an Amy Whinehouse tribute! Us Against the World, hearing it live…was just the icing on the cake. LOVED IT. Chris, Jonny, Will, Guy were so lively and happy and they seemed to really enjoy themselves! I'm really glad! (Haha Chris made a comment about Justin Bieber!)

Big big thanks to Much Music for sure, they did an amazing job. To the people (and coldplayers) I met in line, you're awesome - I can't wait for when we meet up for the next concert! And finally, Coldplay - for being them. Love life so much right now.

Quote from the show:

"Coming to Canada is like taking a bath in greatness." - Chris Martin

(Sorry for the long post! :P I'm just too excited!)

This is my first post, but I just had to say how amazing the show was the other night, as well. My husband and I had wristbands and made it around 4:45 to stand in line. We still ended up with a pretty decent view. Actually it would have been a great view buy we got unlucky with extra tall people in front of us. lol I still had a total blast. They never cease to amaze me. It's ridiculous how happy they make me. I'm still on a Coldplay high and will be for some time, I'm sure.:dazzled:

This is my first post, but I just had to say how amazing the show was the other night, as well. My husband and I had wristbands and made it around 4:45 to stand in line. We still ended up with a pretty decent view. Actually it would have been a great view buy we got unlucky with extra tall people in front of us. lol I still had a total blast. They never cease to amaze me. It's ridiculous how happy they make me. I'm still on a Coldplay high and will be for some time, I'm sure.:dazzled:

If you were behind a tall brown guy in a grey hoodie, that was me! My apologies :P

I just watched the show on tv last night, and wow, am I jealous of you guys...in a nice way though. :) I can't wait to see them live again...I know there's nothing quite like that feeling.

I really liked how they rocked out at the end of GPASUYF. And Paradise - made me fall in love with the song all over again. I hope they don't wait too long after the release of MX to announce their North American tour dates...or more specifically Toronto. LOL

39999_1.jpg

Coldplay gives Toronto crowd peek at new album

TORONTO — Under a grey sky and intermittent rain, Coldplay gave a grateful Toronto crowd an early look at its long-anticipated fifth album with a free outdoor show at MuchMusic headquarters on Wednesday.

Fans lined up along Queen Street West — shut down for the occasion — in the wee hours of the morning for a chance to take in a one-hour show from the British rockers, who hadn’t visited the city since a show at the Rogers Centre more than two years ago.

With a constant drizzle raining down, fans huddled under umbrellas and donned plastic parkas during the show, and the band showed their gratitude for the crowd sticking it out through the dreary weather.

"I can’t believe all of you put up with the wind and rain to be here," frontman Chris Martin said between songs.

"I said before no one would show up. . . . We’re English, we’re very insecure."

But the audience’s affection for the band was obvious.

While waiting for the show to begin, fans collectively hummed the melody from Viva La Vida and chanted the band’s name, some clutching brightly coloured signs that wilted in the rain.

Part of the draw was the opportunity to hear some of the new tunes cooked up for the band’s upcoming album, the cryptically titled Mylo Xyloto, due out Oct. 24.

It’s been more than three years since we’ve heard from the London Brit-poppers. Their last record, Viva La Vida, opened at No. 1 in Canada, the U.S. and across Europe en route to millions in sales and three Grammy Awards.

And much of the band’s set was composed of new material, from buoyant first single Every Drop is a Waterfall to Paradise, an ornate bit of chamber-pop resized to stadium scale. Other new highlights included the driving Hurts Like Heaven and the cheerfully roaring Charlie Brown.

"We have some new songs — if you don’t like them, you don’t have to buy them or anything," Martin said in his carefully self-deprecating way at the start of the show.

Still, the crowd responded warmly to more well-worn corners of the group’s catalogue, with the loudest cheers coming for early alt-rock hit Yellow, anthemic stunner Viva La Vida and Grammy-winning piano ballad Clocks. As has become a recent custom of his, Martin also tossed out a few bars of Amy Winehouse’s Rehab.

The band has always excelled at making tunes that are at once earnest and expansive, personal and universal, and the diverse crowd gathered on Wednesday was evidence of their broad appeal.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/ArtsLife/1264643.html

coldplay-376x225.jpg

Coldplay – Toronto

Downtown Toronto is out of sorts tonight, with a 1,000 strong crowd huddled together in the rain, waiting in anticipation for Coldplay. The band are playing a free outdoor show in the parking lot of Much Music (the Canadian equilvant of MTV). As is the way with gigs like this, the rain doesn’t seem to matter, and the moment that Coldplay take to the stage the sky clears. They kick off precedings on an high with new track ‘Hurts Live Heaven’. Witnessing the performance against the backdrop of Toronto’s CN Tower, their lighting and a slew of fireworks makes for an arresting sight, but then again this is Coldplay and they don’t do things by half.

On the verge of releasing their fifth studio album Mylo Xyloto, Coldplay are arguably one of the biggest bands in the world right now, and tonight sees them live up to their stadium status despite the intimate surroundings. Playing a careful mix of old and new, we’re treated to six songs from the new album, scattered amongst classics such as ‘Clocks’ and ‘Yellow’. Of the new material showcased, ‘Charlie Brown’ is an immediate standout, with its glorious riff, it’s a song that’s got classic Coldplay written all over it. Interaction with the audience is kept to a minimum, but with a small bit of banter between songs, Chris Martin is humble and charming, even managing a reference to Canada’s very own, Bieber. It’s not all jokes though, there’s a poignant moment during the opening chords to ‘Fix You’, where Martin instead sings a few verses of ‘Rehab’ by the deceased Amy Winehouse.

An unexpected highlight was their reworked version of ‘God Put a Smile on Your Face’. Starting off with a stripped down intro of guitar and vocals, the drums then took center stage and what followed turned out to be the the most rousing moment of the night . Chris Martin is the public face, but drummer Will Champion is the band’s unsung hero. Coldplay are old pros at this stage, but they never once go through the motions. Their live show is truly an experience. Closing out the night with ‘Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall’, the confetti and fireworks are out in force again, illuminating the city’s skyline to bring the night to a close, a bitter-sweet farewell to summer.

http://www.state.ie/34006-live-reviews/coldplay-toronto

I heard a few people talking about coldplaying at the concert, so I decided to join the forum! I was standing in the front row near the left side of the stage. I've been watching the online streamed concerts all summer and it was amazing to see all the new songs live.

I heard a few people talking about coldplaying at the concert, so I decided to join the forum! I was standing in the front row near the left side of the stage. I've been watching the online streamed concerts all summer and it was amazing to see all the new songs live.

Great that you could be there! Welcome to Coldplaying! :D

If you were behind a tall brown guy in a grey hoodie, that was me! My apologies :P

LOL! No, we had about three, tall, white guys in front of us. It was kind of you to apologize anyway, though. :laugh3:

I wish there was some way to get a copy of this show too. It'd be nice to have.

Cool. If you were near the front left, you were probably close to Jonbenar and me. He had a red sweater and Coldplay Tshirt, if you watch the video they film him all the time :lol:

I was front row at this show too!! Most incredible experience. I was also on the left side. I was the girl with the curly hair and glasses..... and I think I may have been standing beside Jonbenar (he had a red sweather, and a navy blue X&Y t-shirt....right?). I believe I also met secretspy (sorry, I never got your name), you mentioned that you had the same watch as Chris, and we tried to name all the roadies.

It was great to be at the front surrounded by other coldplayers (even if I didn't know you were from the site..)

I'm watching the concert again and I recognize all of the people described here :) I'm the guy with glasses in the blue jacket, I was only on camera for a few seconds though.

BTW, I noticed they've shuffled the setlist for the re-aired version of the concert. :thinking: