✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[21-Sept-2011] Coldplay @ Much Music, Toronto

Well to put it simply - The show was amazing! My friend and I were a couple people back from the stage and it was awesome! The rain made for an interesting 3hr wait, haha but I love rain so it was good fun!

I must say though, a little disappointed with some people in the crowd tonight - Umbrellas in my face during the wait when we were told not to bring them, and constantly being hit by large bags/backpacks (other items no one should have brought into the lot). And the guy behind me definitely ruined a good chunk of the show for me... Screaming the lyrics to every song (even the slow ones) and making guitar noises, etc. with his mouth all completely out of key and to the point where I could hear him more than Chris sometimes, and then he constantly commented on every single thing. I understand we are all excited but I thought that was just rude.

Aside from some people, was a solid night... I love photography and usually have my camera out taking pics through concerts but I left it in my bag the whole time, and took a couple with my friend's cam then we put away. We decided just to enjoy the show and super glad we did! :)

Tried watching the video up on the Much website but ready to pass out! So very glad I sit in a chair all day at work tmrw - I can barely feel my feet! :)

Hope everyone else who was there had a great time!

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised many of you are complaining about the crowd... I couldn't believe so many people knew the lyrics to the newer songs! That's the first time I've seen that. Surely, some of them had to be Coldplayers. I didn't notice anyone doing the Charlie Brown dance... but it's still early. It'll catch on soon. :D

Did any of you that were there do it, though? :)

I'm surprised many of you are complaining about the crowd... I couldn't believe so many people knew the lyrics to the newer songs! That's the first time I've seen that. Surely, some of them had to be Coldplayers. I didn't notice anyone doing the Charlie Brown dance... but it's still early. It'll catch on soon. :D

Did any of you that were there do it, though? :)

i agree with you the crowd was pretty good for only that big a of a crowd

Great concert, contrary to what people said about the crowd not being into it, I would disagree, I don't think the taping did any justice. I was pleasantly surprised at to how many people knew all of the lyrics to their new stuff, and everyone at the front was really getting into it. I really felt that this was a true Coldplay concert in the sense that we waited outside in the rain, like the die-hard fans we are, all day just to see them perform for an hour. The weather was horrendous all day, then stopped raining right before the concert. I don't know if anyone saw the performance at Letterman, but that was a horrible crowd. It wasn't until the end where they really started getting into it. The boys seemed like they were having a great time, really getting into it. Their new stuff really is amazing live, especially Charlie Brown. I didn't realize how amazing the fireworks were until seeing it live. Definitely is a nice addition to the show. I don't think anyone has posted the setlist or anything yet, but here it is:

1. MX / Hurts Like Heaven

2. Yellow

3. In My Place

4. Major Minus

5. Paradise

6. God Put a Smile

7. Viva La Vida

8. Charlie Brown

9. The Scientist

10. Clocks

11. Fix You (With Rehab by Amy Winehouse intro)

12. ETIAW

Encore

13. Us Against the World

I was fortunate enough to get a setlist, and they had Violet Hill on it, but they didn't end up playing it. Which I found to be a little strange, especially because they were playing it at the soundcheck. Glad to meet anyone who was there today and waited all day, can't wait to see you guys again!

The show was amazing! I was there before the soundcheck then after they moved us all to the opposite side of the street I left to buy a hat because I was getting soaked. I came back and waited around for about 2 hours and something said to me ask the security guard about wristbands. I asked if this is where the wristbanders were *just to be safe* thats when he said they are already inside these people don't have wristbands... WTFFF this whole time I waited thinking those were Rogers people. I was annoyed as you could imagine..the people in front of me were saying I wonder what song they will play first. Being a pretty big fan and seeing all the live streams and whatnot I knew it it was Hurts Like Heaven. It was really annoying to be at the very back infront of the cameras. I lived. I figured that might have happened to others and they might not have made it inside at all.

also on a side note I met Liam Gallagher right around the corner hours earlier :D

I came back and the show recorded and it was an amazing day so i'm still happy. Glad everyone enjoyed the show! One last thing being at the very back alot of people were jumping for Charlie Brown. The crowd was loving it and from those over head shots I saw after there was a hell of alot of people.

I can't believe we were all watching the same crowd. On tv I saw fans singing every word and even crying over their favorite songs. Toronto crowd are legendary for their warmth. Glad you saw that too. :)

Exactly! Just from watching the stream, I saw young people who must have been 9-10 yrs old when ROBTTH was released singing every single word of The Scientist. The crowd looked great to me. You know the crowd is great when Chris asks them to sing a chorus.

I'm so pumped up for Saturday. I'm going to be face to face with the boys. Oh my!

Great concert, contrary to what people said about the crowd not being into it, I would disagree, I don't think the taping did any justice. I was pleasantly surprised at to how many people knew all of the lyrics to their new stuff, and everyone at the front was really getting into it. I really felt that this was a true Coldplay concert in the sense that we waited outside in the rain, like the die-hard fans we are, all day just to see them perform for an hour. The weather was horrendous all day, then stopped raining right before the concert. I don't know if anyone saw the performance at Letterman, but that was a horrible crowd. It wasn't until the end where they really started getting into it. The boys seemed like they were having a great time, really getting into it. Their new stuff really is amazing live, especially Charlie Brown. I didn't realize how amazing the fireworks were until seeing it live. Definitely is a nice addition to the show. I don't think anyone has posted the setlist or anything yet, but here it is:

1. MX / Hurts Like Heaven

2. Yellow

3. In My Place

4. Major Minus

5. Paradise

6. God Put a Smile

7. Viva La Vida

8. Charlie Brown

9. The Scientist

10. Clocks

11. Fix You (With Rehab by Amy Winehouse intro)

12. ETIAW

Encore

13. Us Against the World

I was fortunate enough to get a setlist, and they had Violet Hill on it, but they didn't end up playing it. Which I found to be a little strange, especially because they were playing it at the soundcheck. Glad to meet anyone who was there today and waited all day, can't wait to see you guys again!

Ok, so I was not hallucinating when I thought I heard them play VH at the soundcheck. Not that I am complaining. Still so incredibly buzzed about the concert, and after watching the replay of it on Much at 1 AM, I have to say, it did not do the crowd justice. On Yellow, come on, we were all belting it out and yet, from the TV, it seemed like the crowd was whisper quiet.

Now for some (admittedly not that great) photos:

Soundcheck:

nationalandcoldplay017.jpg

and Concert :D

nationalandcoldplay055.jpg

nationalandcoldplay053.jpg

nationalandcoldplay045.jpg

nationalandcoldplay031.jpg

nationalandcoldplay041.jpg

That last photo I really like, not sure why.

I have more photos, but they are not that great :(

Oh yeah, like to thank the good soul who offered us her extra wristband.

I had a wristband and was waiting in that line on Richmond with a friend who didn't have one. Just as my friend was about to leave to find a place in the general area... said stranger offered us her extra wristband cuz she overheard our convo.

coldplay-456.jpg

Coldplay Test Out New Songs, Cover Amy Winehouse During Free Toronto Concert

On a day when rock enthusiasts were mourning the loss of R.E.M, British rock band Coldplay proved there are still groups out there carrying the torch.

The quartet performed a 14-song, 65-minute free show in Toronto Wednesday evening (Sept. 21) – broadcast live in Canada on MuchMusic and in the U.S. on Fuse TV -- supporting their forthcoming 'Mylo Xyloto' album before thousands of fans. And while all braved inclement weather, the skies cleared for the show, which was split evenly between older albums and the upcoming one.

Although opening with 'Mylo Xyloto' -- which is little more than a short instrumental -- Coldplay thrived on the bubbly, bouncy 'Hurts Like Heaven' as lead singer Chris Martin strummed his acoustic guitar. Using the same stage setup -- heavy on lasers and other effects -- as used during their summer European festival dates, the band upped the ante with a slightly faster 'Yellow' and anthem-like 'In My Place.'

The only drawback might have been the ridiculous amount of confetti tossed out during 'In My Place,' looking like it was the show closer and not an early offering.

"Well good evening everybody," Martin said, thanking fans for putting up with the rain and adding that -- given their traditional English insecurity -- they expected three people to show up in the parking lot adjacent to MuchMusic headquarters. Just a wee bit more than that turned up, Chris!

Of the new songs performed, 'Major Minus' unfortunately lived up to its title by at best sounding forced and U2-lite. The mid-tempo framework in 'Paradise' should fare much better with its huge sing-along chorus potential, although it took a little while for the crowd to warm to. What definitely came off as a keeper was the fantastic 'Charlie Brown,' which brings to mind the same infectious yet intricate hook 'Lovers in Japan' had from 2008's 'Viva La Vida Or Death and All His Friends.' Meanwhile, 'Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall' could have been renamed 'Every Teardrop Is a Firework' given the stream of pyrotechnics soaring high into the sky during the finale (well, the televised finale).

After a second half that included 'The Scientist' and 'Fix You' -- the latter of which was unexpectedly intro'd with the chorus to Amy Winehouse's 'Rehab' which got the crowd chiming in on the "no, no, no" -- Coldplay returned for a post-televised encore of 'Us Against the World.' Martin, guitarist Jonny Buckland, bassist Guy Berryman and drummer Will Champion then bowed a few times before calling it a night.

The band -- who play Las Vegas and Atlanta later this week -- performed an exclusive 'Live at Letterman' concert in New York City on Sept. 20 that's currently available for streaming. 'Mylo Xyloto' comes out Oct. 24.

http://www.spinner.com/2011/09/22/coldplay-toronto-concert/

Exactly! Just from watching the stream, I saw young people who must have been 9-10 yrs old when ROBTTH was released singing every single word of The Scientist. The crowd looked great to me. You know the crowd is great when Chris asks them to sing a chorus.

I'm so pumped up for Saturday. I'm going to be face to face with the boys. Oh my!

So excited for you!! :D

Coldplay shrugs off the rain at free outdoor concert

Posted by Ryan Bolton / SEPTEMBER 22, 2011 0 Comments

2011-21-09-CP%20%2825%20of%2029%29.JPG

Screw the rain, we want us some Coldplay.

That was the agreed upon sentiment from the hundreds of fans that waited under drenched umbrellas and plastic ponchos shutting down Queen St. last night. A free Coldplay show to premiere new material off their anticipated fifth studio album, Mylo Xyloto? The rain was an afterthought for most.

And Chris Martin made a point of thanking the crowd, saying early in the set: "I can't believe all of you put up with the rain and wind to be here. We didn't think anyone would show.

"We're English, we're very insecure."

2011-21-09-CP%20%289%20of%2029%29.JPG

Before I begin to delve into the hour-long show at MuchMusic, a brief sidenote: The 40 Year Old Virgin got it wrong. From my standpoint last night, this little fenced-off hub for media, a lot of pretty girls like Coldplay. Fact. And they hang off of every lyric and swoon when Chris Martin takes his coat off and spins it around. Write that down.

About 10 minutes before this British success story of a band hit the parking lot stage at Much, the rain stopped. And the multi-coloured fireworks began. Let's just get it out of the way now: it was a flashy show. With a massive outdoor stage, huge multiple screens behind the band, they had an impressive light show, smoke machine, confetti (and lots of it) and a shit-ton of fireworks. So much so that everyone in the front of the audience left with flecks of firework residue in their hair. You could tell a lot of work went into this shindig. Then again, it was broadcast live on Much.

Opening with "Hurts like Heaven," a track off the new concept album, is this uplifting, quick-paced ditty. There's a lot of "ooohs" and "wooos" in the new material, which they spliced into the set list. In total, they played six new tracks in between their megahits like "Yellow," "Fix You" and "Viva La Vida." The new material, as you've probably already heard the singles, the infectious "Paradise" and the night's closer, "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall," the new tracks will keep longstanding fans content. The track "Charlie Brown," with soaring guitar and Chris Martin "ooohs," is surefire hit. It's another feel good song — a Coldplay staple when creating music, of course.

Although the vocals were a tad quiet for the opening track, the sound quality for the show was sharp. Coldplay is a seasoned stadium-playing band and it shows. Chris Martin kept the crowd interaction to a minimum, but when he did, he kept it cheeky. With even a tad of French.

2011-21-09-CP%20%2827%20of%2029%29.JPG

"It's a strange time in a man's life when you're old enough to be Justin Bieber's dad," Martin quipped before plunging into "Clocks." "This is an old song, but we still like playing it." After the song, they transitioned into the chorus of the late Amy Winehouse's "Rehab," assuming as a bit of a tribute to a fellow Brit, and then transitioned into the piano-driven, fan sing-along "Fix You."

With a sea of camera phones in the air and ample fireworks above, Coldplay ended with "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall."

I'm still picking flecks of fireworks out of my hair.

Coldplay's set list:

Hurts like Heaven

Yellow

In My Place

Major Minus

Paradise

God Put a Smile Upon Your Face

Viva La Vida

Charlie Brown

The Scientist

Clocks

Fix You

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall

Encore:

Us Against the World

Writing by Ryan Bolton // Photography by Christian Bobak

http://www.blogto.com/music/2011/09/coldplay_shrugs_off_the_rain_at_free_outdoor_concert/

omg my first concert and it was COLDPLAY! <3 it was so much fun and the best experience. :') i hope they come to toronto soon, cause i really want to see them again. i miss them already haha ! does anyone know when they are coming back to toronto ?

omg my first concert and it was COLDPLAY! <3 it was so much fun and the best experience. :') i hope they come to toronto soon, cause i really want to see them again. i miss them already haha ! does anyone know when they are coming back to toronto ?

No North American dates announced yet, but when they do, I'll see ya there! :D

Some of my videos from the evening:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YUOxgUyRS8&feature=colike]Coldplay - Fix You Live @ Much Lot (Toronto, Sept 21, 2011) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZJrcIv5xVo&feature=colike]Coldplay - Yellow/In My Place Live @ Much Lot (Toronto, Sept 21, 2011) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIdDTgOZGBo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL]Coldplay - God Put A Smile Upon Your Face Live @ Much Lot (Toronto, Sept 21, 2011) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZdAzjeE4rk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL]Coldplay - Major Minus Live @ Much Lot (Toronto, Sept 21, 2011) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUYYJWEbY9g&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL]Coldplay - Viva La Vida/Charlie Brown Live @ Much Lot (Toronto, September 21, 2011) - YouTube[/ame]