✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hello, I shall now vent on why Mylo Xyloto is not as bad as expected.

xTwisted_Logicx

Okay, so this is my belief, and I'm pretty sure it's right.

Viva La Vida was basically a Pop Song.

It charted #1 in many, many countries.

Fix You is arguably Coldplay's most well-known song after VLV

It didn't even top the UK charts, and in most places did not go top 10.

THINK, PEOPLE, THINK.

Is Hurts Like Heaven poppy?

Charlie Brown?

Us Against the World?

Major Minus?

Princess of China, as heard in the video, wasn't that "poppy". PEOPLE RIHANNA DOES NOT JUST DO POP. HAVE YOU HEARD 'CALIFORNIA KING BED"? OTHER SONGS SHE'S MADE? SHE HAS A GOOD VOICE POP OR NOT, SO STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT HER.

Up in Flames?

NONONONONONONO

Is ETIAW "poppy"?

YES, THATS WHY IT PEAKED TOP TEN IN OVER TEN COUNTRIES!

Is Paradise "poppy"?

YES, THATS WHY IT'S TOP TEN ON iTunes AND WILL PROBABLY TOP TEN AS WELL.

They are NOT a SINGLES band, they are an ALBUM QUALITY BAND.

Obviously, the songs on the album will have a much less repetative (POPPY) style.

DO YOU HEAR CHRIS MARTIN SAYING ANYTHING OVER AND OVER IN AN ANNOYING FASHION ON MAJOR MINUS? HLH? CHARLIE BROWN? US AGAINST THE WORLD?

WAS THE CHORUS ON HLH "AND IT HU-HU-HU-HURTS LIKE HEAVEN"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I rest my case :)

Fix You is NOT Coldplay's most well-known song besides VLV. Maybe Clocks or Yellow.

But with Clocks your point still stands, I guess. It's not chart-topping in any sense but it is an instantly-recognizable classic.

I think what people are frustrated about (I'm not really frustrated, I like the new stuff, but I totally get why there's people who hate it) is the fact that Coldplay is relying on the pop gimmick so much to get to a chart-topping position. They didn't used to feel the need to have to be #1 as far as radio play is concerned, but right now that seems to be the situation.

Myself, I feel that it's a little premature to give a verdict on MX because it has a variety of different types of songs on it, and we haven't heard complete versions of most of them.

You are absolutely right. This is the same thing I said before... but some people here need to bash all the time.

Of course those singles are poppy thats why they ARE singles. Like Viva La Vida. And Paradise has some really great, Coldplayish parts in it... its not real pop music. By far not.

Yesterday I listened to the whole VLV album and after that I listened to Paradise again. And you know what? It was not more poppy than VLV ( single ). It was Coldplay, just in MX-style ( a bit like X&Y with synths ).

So Im very sure, too that MX will have the same or even better quality than VLV and Coldplay did NOT go mainstream and they never will. Chris is way to smart and WAY to selfcritical with his music that he would write pop songs...he wants to deliver great, unique songs and thats what MX will be. He would also never do things he dont want to just because Eno would say it or something...

This is another thing.

1) a song is not poppy because Will kicks some "Disco drums". Think of Paradise as an acoustic cover... it would be brilliant. So you see: The idea behind those songs is brilliant.

2) people complain about the fact that Chris sings "Up in flameeee" 9 times in a row or something. But the song would not be better when he would use other words. Lyrics aren´t bad because they are not complicated or something. Some people just want to see strange lyrics so that those lyrics seem to be intelligent or so... bullshit at its best.

Because we all have experience at their music and something like instinct. And you won´t change this when you accept everything thats negative, but if someone likes something you say "its not even out there"

I know what Im talking about. Most of MX is available as live versions. And the other fews songs wont be mainstream at all. Like always. Otherwise they would have been released.

All I know is that, even if the new songs are poppy, I love them, and I love Coldplay. And other people should consider the fact they change every time, but people eventually grow on the change, so to keep the negative criticism not so heavy until you've heard the whole album. We are their fans, aren't we?

Because we all have experience at their music and something like instinct. And you won´t change this when you accept everything thats negative, but if someone likes something you say "its not even out there"

I know what Im talking about. Most of MX is available as live versions. And the other fews songs wont be mainstream at all. Like always. Otherwise they would have been released.

No one knows how the album will be. We just know a few songs, people who dislike the songs are just talking about the songs, about what WE ALREADY KNOW. Some fangirls on the other hand, are already judging an album we haven't even heard yet.

On the contrary, Charlie Brown, Hurts Like Heaven, and Major Minus are all pop songs. I mean, I can't think of a single moment in Charlie Brown that isn't 100% pop. Doesn't make it bad, but it IS a bona fide pop song.

Eh...I consider it more "pop-rock" than "100% pop."

I'm not entirely sure why everyone draws up negative connotations when the term "pop" is heard. The Beatles, often considered the greatest band of all time, was a pop band (look at anything written between '63-'66, and even some non-psych stuff from '67-'70). The Smiths, another great English band...pop music. I often compare The Smiths to Coldplay, not for any stylistic reasons, but they were a poppy-rock band with great instrumentations, a dynamic vocalist and something to say. They were a band that people loved to hate, loved to condemn and loved to label, kind of like Coldplay. Look at The Cure, Joy Division. Paul Simon is classified as World Pop. Are you gonna tell me that Paul Simon isn't an incredible musician? It's not like every Rock act is great (look at Nickelback for pete's sake!). So please, don't be ignorant. Don't condemn the genre of music, rather, take a look at the particular artist. Coldplay have LONG been mainstream. Yellow, Clocks and VLV topped the charts. They've won Grammy's. They've topped the iTunes download lists. They've headlined the world's top festivals, and there's nothing wrong with that. Bands change. What Chris Martin thought was relevant or what he felt in 2000 when he penned Parachutes might not be what he's feeling in 2011. You can't expect a person to remain stagnant for 10 years, and if you do then I suggest you leave this forum, hole yourself up in a bunker, and remain frozen in the "glory years". Be patient folks, it's a virtue.

Eh...I consider it more "pop-rock" than "100% pop."

Same. It's definitely catchy but it's based on rock-elements. When it's guitar-centered rather than centered around a synth riff or a hip-hop beat it doesn't seem as pop for me. Probably a personal bias. And just because something is pop-influenced or sounding doesn't make it bad. If the instrumental talent is there and the lyrics are meaningful, then it's a great song no matter what genre you consider it.

Rant.

(Disclaimer: For the people here who are genuinely thrilled with the everything the band has been doing in this era, the following doesn't apply to you. Also, this is not directed at anyone in particular, and any offense caused was not intended on my part. Oh, and everything that follows is nothing more than my opinion, even though I may believe that I'm right on the money :P)

This whole "Is it pop or is it not?" argument is just a strawman. It's a distraction to keep people arguing over semantics, rather than addressing the REAL reasons why people aren't happy with some of new material. Just like the "they aren't going to make another Parachutes, get over it!" argument, it completely misses the point. Hate to be this direct, but most of these arguments are made by people who don't have the capacity to accept the possibility that the quality of band's music may be on the decline. Coldplay aren't infallible, and if you find yourself going to all sorts of lengths trying to defend everything they do, then you probably need to start thinking about whether you might have a completely unrealistic image of them. Honestly, scrolling through some of these threads nowadays is like witnessing a discussion between religious fanatics and secular rationalists (not necessarily this thread).

Whether the songs people are complaining about can be classified as pop or not is neither here nor there. Lazy songwriting / shallow lyrics / lack of inspiration are what people are ACTUALLY concerned about. And these things are really not that hard to notice if you haven't put Chris Martin on a pedestal.

And so what all of this really comes down to is FEAR OF DISAPPOINTMENT. Are you being honest with yourself when you share your opinion here? Or do you find yourself taking offense to genuine criticism that wasn't being aimed at you, but at the band? Why would four multi-millionaires need to be defended anyway - is it because they are incapable of taking criticism without being offended? Come on now. The reality is that there's a whole bunch of disappointed people on here split down the middle, with half of them admitting their disappointment and writing about their frustrations, and the other half attacking those people because they can't stand to admit that their favourite band might be letting them down a bit. I've never seen so much insecurity on display here as I have over the last few weeks on the forums, and I think that speaks volumes.

Sorry if this derailed the discussion a little, I just get a little tired of people getting so defensive over stuff like this. If you love the new stuff that's great. If their marketing decisions don't bother you, that's fine too. But the lengths some people go to to convince themselves and others that Coldplay are untouchable and that everything they put out is nothing less than mindblowing, is quite frankly embarrassing.

Sorry. Continue. :P

Rant.

(Disclaimer: For the people here who are genuinely thrilled with the everything the band has been doing in this era, the following doesn't apply to you. Also, this is not directed at anyone in particular, and any offense caused was not intended on my part. Oh, and everything that follows is nothing more than my opinion, even though I may believe that I'm right on the money :P)

This whole "Is it pop or is it not?" argument is just a strawman. It's a distraction to keep people arguing over semantics, rather than addressing the REAL reasons why people aren't happy with some of new material. Just like the "they aren't going to make another Parachutes, get over it!" argument, it completely misses the point. Hate to be this direct, but most of these arguments are made by people who don't have the capacity to accept the possibility that the quality of band's music may be on the decline. Coldplay aren't infallible, and if you find yourself going to all sorts of lengths trying to defend everything they do, then you probably need to start thinking about whether you might have a completely unrealistic image of them. Honestly, scrolling through some of these threads nowadays is like witnessing a discussion between religious fanatics and secular rationalists (not necessarily this thread).

Whether the songs people are complaining about can be classified as pop or not is neither here nor there. Lazy songwriting / shallow lyrics / lack of inspiration are what people are ACTUALLY concerned about. And these things are really not that hard to notice if you haven't put Chris Martin on a pedestal.

And so what all of this really comes down to is FEAR OF DISAPPOINTMENT. Are you being honest with yourself when you share your opinion here? Or do you find yourself taking offense to genuine criticism that wasn't being aimed at you, but at the band? Why would four multi-millionaires need to be defended anyway - is it because they are incapable of taking criticism without being offended? Come on now. The reality is that there's a whole bunch of disappointed people on here split down the middle, with half of them admitting their disappointment and writing about their frustrations, and the other half attacking those people because they can't stand to admit that their favourite band might be letting them down a bit. I've never seen so much insecurity on display as I have over the last few weeks here on the forums, and I think that speaks volumes.

Sorry if this derailed the discussion a little, I just get a little tired of people getting so defensive over stuff like this. If you love the new stuff that's great. If their marketing decisions don't bother you, that's fine too. But the lengths some people go to to convince themselves and others that Coldplay are untouchable and that everything they put out is nothing less than mindblowing, is quite frankly embarrassing.

Sorry. Continue. :P

I like this. Very straight-forward and concise. (: What is your opinion of the new songs by the way?

I like this. Very straight-forward and concise. (: What is your opinion of the new songs by the way?
Hey, cheers! If I were to rate what I've heard so far, it would probably go something like this (subject to change, obviously):

Excellent:

N/A

Very Good:

Moving To Mars

Us Against The World

Hurts Like Heaven

Charlie Brown

Good:

Major Minus

Princess Of China

Average:

Up In Flames

Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall

WTF:

Paradise :P

What about you?

Okay, so this is my belief, and I'm pretty sure it's right.

Viva La Vida was basically a Pop Song.

It charted #1 in many, many countries.

Fix You is arguably Coldplay's most well-known song after VLV

It didn't even top the UK charts, and in most places did not go top 10.

THINK, PEOPLE, THINK.

Is Hurts Like Heaven poppy?

Charlie Brown?

Us Against the World?

Major Minus?

Princess of China, as heard in the video, wasn't that "poppy". PEOPLE RIHANNA DOES NOT JUST DO POP. HAVE YOU HEARD 'CALIFORNIA KING BED"? OTHER SONGS SHE'S MADE? SHE HAS A GOOD VOICE POP OR NOT, SO STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT HER.

Up in Flames?

NONONONONONONO

Is ETIAW "poppy"?

YES, THATS WHY IT PEAKED TOP TEN IN OVER TEN COUNTRIES!

Is Paradise "poppy"?

YES, THATS WHY IT'S TOP TEN ON iTunes AND WILL PROBABLY TOP TEN AS WELL.

They are NOT a SINGLES band, they are an ALBUM QUALITY BAND.

Obviously, the songs on the album will have a much less repetative (POPPY) style.

DO YOU HEAR CHRIS MARTIN SAYING ANYTHING OVER AND OVER IN AN ANNOYING FASHION ON MAJOR MINUS? HLH? CHARLIE BROWN? US AGAINST THE WORLD?

WAS THE CHORUS ON HLH "AND IT HU-HU-HU-HURTS LIKE HEAVEN"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I rest my case :)

I never thought it would be poppy :| I love everything from MX

Hey, cheers! If I were to rate what I've heard so far, it would probably go something like this (subject to change, obviously):

Excellent:

N/A

Very Good:

Moving To Mars

Us Against The World

Hurts Like Heaven

Charlie Brown

Good:

Major Minus

Princess Of China

Average:

Up In Flames

WTF:

What about you?

Excellent: :dance:

Moving To Mars

Us Against The World

Hurts Like Heaven

Charlie Brown

Major Minus

Princess Of China

Up In Flames

Good::lol:

Paradise

WTF: :sick:

Don't Let It Break Your Heart (judging by the cheesy title:phu:)

Excellent:

N/A

Very Good:

Moving To Mars

Us Against The World

Hurts Like Heaven

Charlie Brown

Good:

Major Minus

Princess Of China

Average:

Up In Flames

WTF:

What about you?

Same to you! :) And oh. Nice! And coincidental. lol Mine are a lot like yours except moved up on the scale and changed a little.

Excellent:

Hurts Like Heaven

Charlie Brown

Us Against the World

Moving to Mars

Very Good:

Major Minus

Good:

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall

Average:

Princess of China

Dreadful:

Paradise

I haven't heard Up in Flames so I can't rank it.