✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Who the Most Mainstream Band?

Nature

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Michael: RH is more mainstream than radiohead I think. At least here.

The abbreviated Radiohead is indeed more mainstream than the full name Radiohead.

Oh my god, what a stupid, stupid, stupid thread. I think people who vote here dont even know how to spell "instrument" or "music"...

Then it's a good thing I didn't actually vote in the poll. ;)

Also, huh?

The abbreviated Radiohead is indeed more mainstream than the full name Radiohead.

Then it's a good thing I didn't actually vote in the poll. ;)

Also, huh?

OMG I mean RH is more mainstream than Muse :lol: They even use radiohead songs as background music for tv shows and stuff (or Coldplay, if someone dies they use Fix You as background music :lol:)

Hmmm . . . I'd say U2 as of right now, considering that they've sold 100 mil+ albums, whereas Coldplay have sold 50 mil+

Plus, U2 have been around considerably longer :P . . . although when I talk about Coldplay with kids my age they have a vague idea of who they are . . . whereas when I talk about U2 everyone looks confused :dozey:

Plus, U2 haven't had a 'big' hit in a while now . . . I don't know, I guess. Either Coldplay or U2 :shrug:

Don't ask my why people in Kansas don't know who U2 is :facepalm: I have no idea

OMG I mean RH is more mainstream than Muse :lol:

Um...no they're not.

I went with U2. They're not exactly burning up the airwaves anymore (though I did hear Mysterious Ways twice the other day :lol:) but overall, they're the biggest band on the planet.

As for quality? Radiohead is by far the best of these options (or any options, in my opinion :P). U2 next, then Coldplay. Three awesome bands.

Muse is pretty bad though. Origin of Symmetry was pretty great, Absolution pretty good, and everything else was just terrible. The Resistance is unlistenable.

The Killers would be on the list....if it wasn't for their hiatus... :(

They're coming back soon though. :clap:

Well, Radiohead aren't NOT mainstream.

Cite: SIX Grammies

Cite: Platinum records

Cite: Millions of fans worldwide

Just because they have an "I-hate-people" attitude and make non-radio-friendly songs doesn't mean they're underground or something. I don't know anyone who doesn't have The King of Limbs or In Rainbows.

I love Radiohead, and I know that they are pretty damn mainstream. And I'm sick of the Radiohead trolls on here. You're not superior to me because you like Radiohead better than Coldplay. Bravo.

Wake up Radiohead fans, and admit that your band is incredibly successful on a global scale. They aren't YOUR band.

Well, Radiohead aren't NOT mainstream.

Cite: SIX Grammies

Cite: Platinum records

Cite: Millions of fans worldwide

Just because they have an "I-hate-people" attitude and make non-radio-friendly songs doesn't mean they're underground or something. I don't know anyone who doesn't have The King of Limbs or In Rainbows.

I love Radiohead, and I know that they are pretty damn mainstream. And I'm sick of the Radiohead trolls on here. You're not superior to me because you like Radiohead better than Coldplay. Bravo.

Wake up Radiohead fans, and admit that your band is incredibly successful on a global scale. They aren't YOUR band.

1. I never said that Radiohead weren't mainstream, only that they were less mainstream than Muse. That may not have been true ten years ago, but it is now.

2. Everyone you know owns a Radiohead record? You must not know very many people. Hardly anyone I know has even heard of them (though they recognize Creep most of the time). I realize that that sounds vaguely hipster of me...but I'm merely stating fact. I wish more people DID know and listen to them.

3. I never said I was superior to you because I like Radiohead better than Coldplay. Obviously I'm not. It's just music, dude, nobody is superior to anyone else because of their musical tastes.

4. I never said they were my band or that they weren't successful. But, to put things into perspective...Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends has sold around two thirds as many copies as all of Radiohead's albums combined.

Radiohead have never had a radio hit apart from Creep (though I suppose cases could be made for Karma Police and a couple songs from The Bends).

All I said in my post was that Muse are CURRENTLY more mainstream than Radiohead.

I'm not singling you out. I'm just saying that Radiohead are incredibly popular and successful, much to the dismay of their diehard fans. Everyone wants them to themselves, and they're at the point where if they recorded Thom taking a shit and released it people would call it stunning.

Most everyone I know is familiar with Radiohead's work (even some dumb sorority girl has "Reckoner" on her iPod, misspelled with no album art).

And Coldplay is wayyyy more mainstream, admittedly (I voted U2 though, just because no-one seems to hate U2 like people hate Coldplay). But when people call Radiohead "indie music" it's just stupid.

1. I never said that Radiohead weren't mainstream, only that they were less mainstream than Muse. That may not have been true ten years ago, but it is now.

2. Everyone you know owns a Radiohead record? You must not know very many people. Hardly anyone I know has even heard of them (though they recognize Creep most of the time). I realize that that sounds vaguely hipster of me...but I'm merely stating fact. I wish more people DID know and listen to them.

3. I never said I was superior to you because I like Radiohead better than Coldplay. Obviously I'm not. It's just music, dude, nobody is superior to anyone else because of their musical tastes.

4. I never said they were my band or that they weren't successful. But, to put things into perspective...Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends has sold around two thirds as many copies as all of Radiohead's albums combined.

Radiohead have never had a radio hit apart from Creep (though I suppose cases could be made for Karma Police and a couple songs from The Bends).

All I said in my post was that Muse are CURRENTLY more mainstream than Radiohead.

Hmm..

It all depends where you go man. In the UK, Radiohead is fucking huge. They're a household name - especially with people who were teens in the 90s. I think Radiohead are just as big as Muse are in the UK. Hell, for the first five years of Muse's existence they were known as "those Radiohead clones".

U2 and Coldplay are more "mainstream" than both of them though.

I can't stand this topic. It implies that "mainstream" is bad. Mainstrem is completely meaningless and says nothing about the band. The Beatles were main stream, ffs.

, just because no-one seems to hate U2 like people hate Coldplay).

I think that's only because of how long U2 has been around. They are legends now. It's not cool to hate on legends.

When Coldplay has been around for thirty five years I doubt people will be trashing on them as much as they do now.

I'm not singling you out. I'm just saying that Radiohead are incredibly popular and successful, much to the dismay of their diehard fans. Everyone wants them to themselves, and they're at the point where if they recorded Thom taking a shit and released it people would call it stunning.

Most everyone I know is familiar with Radiohead's work (even some dumb sorority girl has "Reckoner" on her iPod, misspelled with no album art).

And Coldplay is wayyyy more mainstream, admittedly (I voted U2 though, just because no-one seems to hate U2 like people hate Coldplay). But when people call Radiohead "indie music" it's just stupid.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I do know people who hate U2 with a passion, though. "Edge plays the effects pedal, not guitar," "Bono is an a**hole," etc. Similar to the general dislike of Chris Martin, actually.

I wish everyone I knew was familiar with Radiohead (maybe when I get to college where people listen to something other than Usher and LMFAO). Music conversations would be so much more fun.

By the way, Radiohead technically ARE indie now (on an independent label), whereas they weren't before, but I do understand what you're getting at. :laugh3:

Hmm..

It all depends where you go man. In the UK, Radiohead is fucking huge. They're a household name - especially with people who were teens in the 90s. I think Radiohead are just as big as Muse are in the UK. Hell, for the first five years of Muse's existence they were known as "those Radiohead clones".

True. I'm in the U.S, it seems that everyone here has heard of Muse whereas Radiohead is still a giant, Creep-shaped question mark. Twilight seems to have helped Muse along.

I think that's only because of how long U2 has been around. They are legends now. It's not cool to hate on legends.

When Coldplay has been around for thirty five years I doubt people will be trashing on them as much as they do now.

That's entirely up to Coldplay. Their potential status as legends all depends on whether they keep on making para-paradises and wa-wa-waterfalls. :lol: