✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

So Many Changes in Coldplay...

Don't Shiver

They no longer share profits equally. Source was an article on here a while back just after the first bits of MX news were surfacing.

Their rule of never having anyone else but themselves singing on the album has been broken.

They wouldn't split up anymore if a member took drugs/they don't ask about that stuff...

"One thing that surprised me was when Nagui asked about the "no drugs" rules, they acted kind of weird. They were like "this rule doesn't exist anymore. we were young, it's a stupid rule blah blah" so Nagui asked if they take some stuff and they answered "we don't talk about that". Junkies haha !" http://coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79038&page=8

And of course, their music has changed a lot in MX. It has far more synth, it is much less acoustic, etc. Personally, I love all of their new songs.

But... since their early days when they were fresh out of university, they've changed really quite a lot. I guess it is just a natural change, but the original "Coldplayness" seems to have gone a miss...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I just checked the PRS for Music and it says that Chris gets 19% while Will, Jonny and Guy are getting 9.5%

They always got 12.5% each.

It's rather strange to be honest :confused:

This would seem only fair now, as Chris is the major contributor of lyrics and music that he gets paid the lions share of the profits. It's not as if any of them are struggling for a £/$ or Euro any longer. Guy already has other sources of income in the form of his production work and Apparatjik and I'm sure they all have investment returns that will keep them warm at night. But why should Chris only get 12.5% if no one else is writing entire songs (the others get 9.5% for coming up with rifts, odd lines and turning up to play instruments but get out of the majority of interviews - not a bad way to spend your days)

As for the drugs - personal preferences I guess, it's not just something exclusive to the entertainment industry so why should we be surprised? - they aren't physically inhibiting/injurying or endangering you or I so why should it be of our concern how they spend their money or obtain the level of relaxation that enables them to sleep of instance? After all Multi-vitamins and Cod Liver Oil are drugs too :o :P Opinions on such topics change for all of us as we "grow up" and that's all that has happened for these 4 men (just they've grown up in front of us and now learnt to be a little more coy about what they say) I personally hope that what ever battles they MAY have had either individually or as a band unit in regards to drugs are now behind them and that there is no longer a need to discuss this topic in the media. Isn't it funny of all the topics Chris was so vocal about over the years, the trivial ones are the ones thrown back in their faces... Lets talk about the progress of Fair Trade campaigns or the ongoing requirement of funding for Oxfam instead - I guess they aren't such emotional topics for magazine media these days. :palm:

As for the music changing, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. My preferences and infulences have changed in the last 10 years and I'm sure yours have too, so why shouldn't theirs? Their abilities, skills and experiences will also influence what sort of music they make. If they didn't move on I'm sure we'd all complain about how stagnant their music was and why should we buy another 14 songs worth of ROBTTH/Parachutes/X&Y/Viva * (SELECT your LEAST favourite) because what you love someone else hates and vise versa. So I can only imagine the guys have decided that they are happy with MX and can accept that they will both lose and gain fans with this piece of work. That after all is one of the guarentees in life.

I hope they will remain together and complete the contract committment of 3 further albums refered to elsewhere on the forum today. The fact that more records fall to Coldplay (online presales record taken from Adele) can only prove as encouragement for them at such a physically and emotionally tiring time as album release week is. However I also wouldn't be surprised if a break is also needed to gain some space and prospective in life... it's a trend that appears to be working for other bands so MAY happen to Coldplay I'm sure it will be something we can all survive in the end even if it feels like the end of the world just now, after all remember those changing interests and preferences, there's always a new someone coming through to appreciate.

One of the differences which i dont know if its good or bad is that Chris is talking a lot about his wife. During the viva era, if any reporter even mentioned gwyneth chris would boil up , but he seems to be a little more at peace with the media's interest in his marriage. He still doesnt make it important and there is no question of both of them selling their marriage or even being seen together , for that matter. But still, his extreme discomfort in talking about his wife seems to have lessened down a bit! I think he might have been influenced by Jay Z!

surely him being more relaxed about it is a very good thing, just shows he's accepted that the magazine media will always be interested in his marriage, they are after, always interested in what Hollywood folk and band front men do. He's just demonstrating some of that growing up I refered to earlier, better for the children privately and have you noticed it's limited the talk about divorce since he's been more open but not alot of "meaty" answers has actually been said... perhaps this is part of the plan to get the magazine media to lose some interest in the situation.

I'm sorry, but I don't think any of them do drugs. Guy smokes cigarettes, but I think that's the extent of it. As for money, I doubt they're losing sleep over it. They all have a shit load of money.

Don't be sorry Caroline, I'm as pleased as you are if they aren't doing drugs, but techincally they are, with 3 of them enjoying an alcoholic drink or at least Guy, a quick cigarette. Yes how can you win? depends on what you define A DRUG to be and I'm sure that was pointed out to Chris by many more people than he'd like to contemplate when that statement was originally made, which is why they are now trying to move away from it.

You know I just checked the PRS for Music and it says that Chris gets 19% while Will, Jonny and Guy are getting 9.5%

TY. I've been meaning to ask b/c to me it looked like Chris was getting a raw deal. After all, they all admit that he's the one to always bring the main concept, lyrics, and music. Then the rest of the band can add their bit. It's only fair he gets a bigger piece of the pie.

One of the differences which i dont know if its good or bad is that Chris is talking a lot about his wife. During the viva era, if any reporter even mentioned gwyneth chris would boil up , but he seems to be a little more at peace with the media's interest in his marriage. He still doesnt make it important and there is no question of both of them selling their marriage or even being seen together , for that matter. But still, his extreme discomfort in talking about his wife seems to have lessened down a bit! I think he might have been influenced by Jay Z!

How can talking about his wife be bad? He's still not saying that much about her, just barely admitting he's married and considers himself lucky.

This would seem only fair now, as Chris is the major contributor of lyrics and music that he gets paid the lions share of the profits. It's not as if any of them are struggling for a £/$ or Euro any longer. Guy already has other sources of income in the form of his production work and Apparatjik and I'm sure they all have investment returns that will keep them warm at night. But why should Chris only get 12.5% if no one else is writing entire songs (the others get 9.5% for coming up with rifts, odd lines and turning up to play instruments but get out of the majority of interviews - not a bad way to spend your days)

As for the drugs - personal preferences I guess, it's not just something exclusive to the entertainment industry so why should we be surprised? - they aren't physically inhibiting/injurying or endangering you or I so why should it be of our concern how they spend their money or obtain the level of relaxation that enables them to sleep of instance? After all Multi-vitamins and Cod Liver Oil are drugs too :o :P Opinions on such topics change for all of us as we "grow up" and that's all that has happened for these 4 men (just they've grown up in front of us and now learnt to be a little more coy about what they say) I personally hope that what ever battles they MAY have had either individually or as a band unit in regards to drugs are now behind them and that there is no longer a need to discuss this topic in the media. Isn't it funny of all the topics Chris was so vocal about over the years, the trivial ones are the ones thrown back in their faces... Lets talk about the progress of Fair Trade campaigns or the ongoing requirement of funding for Oxfam instead - I guess they aren't such emotional topics for magazine media these days. :palm:

As for the music changing, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. My preferences and infulences have changed in the last 10 years and I'm sure yours have too, so why shouldn't theirs? Their abilities, skills and experiences will also influence what sort of music they make. If they didn't move on I'm sure we'd all complain about how stagnant their music was and why should we buy another 14 songs worth of ROBTTH/Parachutes/X&Y/Viva * (SELECT your LEAST favourite) because what you love someone else hates and vise versa. So I can only imagine the guys have decided that they are happy with MX and can accept that they will both lose and gain fans with this piece of work. That after all is one of the guarentees in life.

I hope they will remain together and complete the contract committment of 3 further albums refered to elsewhere on the forum today. The fact that more records fall to Coldplay (online presales record taken from Adele) can only prove as encouragement for them at such a physically and emotionally tiring time as album release week is. However I also wouldn't be surprised if a break is also needed to gain some space and prospective in life... it's a trend that appears to be working for other bands so MAY happen to Coldplay I'm sure it will be something we can all survive in the end even if it feels like the end of the world just now, after all remember those changing interests and preferences, there's always a new someone coming through to appreciate.

Great response!

I'm assuming this is for UK rights? Not sure how it works over there, but under U.S. publishing rules, they'd all have to get equal shares as they're all credited co-writers. Publishing rights also go by contract, and unless I've missed it, they're still bound by their original 1999 deal. It's peculiar on many levels, but if true, I'm sure they all agreed to it, none of them seem disgruntled or anything like that.

That said, while Chris is undoubtedly the primary (in most cases sole) lyricist, both he and Will have stated on numerous occasions that Jonny is the primary musical songwriter., which I guess just makes the whole thing more confusing.

EDIT: I just looked it up on ASCAP (which is the rough U.S. equivalent of the PRS for Music for those who may not know) and all four of the boy are still credited as co-writers with an equal split (though like I said above, as far as I know that's mandatory with ASCAP rights), so in the U.S. at least the equal split rule still holds true (or I'm reading something wrong which is entirely possible). I'm going to tak a nap now as this whole thing has confused me more the more I try to figure it out.

sorry the band Apparatjik not making money.

Yes they are Lory: merchandise and appearance fees mean that this "adventure" is at least cost-effective and counter productive impacting on other projects. I wouldn't have bought Mew albums, or Coldplay B sides had it not been for Jonas's and Guy's involvement in Apparatjik (So Guy wins again :lol:) Profitable was an unquantified value in my original response.

Why is there such a stigma about Coldplay doing drugs? Don't get me wrong, I personally hope they don't, but if they did I doubt they would do any form of class A drugs and loads of great music has come from artists that take drugs. I think it would be a little close-minded to "like Coldplay less" or go off Coldplay a bit if they did do drugs. I don't know. I just get irritated when people make out as if people who do drugs are scum of the Earth. :\ Don't kill me for saying this.

Why is there such a stigma about Coldplay doing drugs? Don't get me wrong, I personally hope they don't, but if they did I doubt they would do any form of class A drugs and loads of great music has come from artists that take drugs. I think it would be a little close-minded to "like Coldplay less" or go off Coldplay a bit if they did do drugs. I don't know. I just get irritated when people make out as if people who do drugs are scum of the Earth. :\ Don't kill me for saying this.

Chris has admitted to a sleeping pills habit and said he wasn't very proud of it.

Yes they are Lory: merchandise and appearance fees mean that this "adventure" is at least cost-effective and counter productive impacting on other projects. I wouldn't have bought Mew albums, or Coldplay B sides had it not been for Jonas's and Guy's involvement in Apparatjik (So Guy wins again :lol:) Profitable was an unquantified value in my original response.

I don't know If I would go quite that far. While it is true that some people probably do develop an interest in the 4 members of aparatjik's musical projects based on their music, I'd say the number can't be that high as the album has had nearly zero mainstream exposure and the few live shows they've only played a handful of live shows. They have no label support so they're on their own as far as financing. At best, Aparatjik is recouping costs, but I'd say it's more likely that Guy and Mags are going out of pocket on the project. That audio visual cube can't have been cheap to build/operate.

I wouldn't worry about Guy though, it seems he's doing quite well for himself in real estate investing these days.

the only one that is Profitable wins and it's Guy & Martin because it values ​​in the recording industry worldwide .

Apparatjik done volunteer, planted trees, sponsored a fashion house. and others.

Apparatjk be profitable if the wanted they could have been as Black Eyed Peas but Black Eyed Peas is fans of Apparatjik and not their public or label . because rappers is a culture own.

Magne no more A-ha not exist more and more he is in debt just like me. and mew, no one knows. Apart from Asia and the world Scandinavian in independent music of movies Danish and mew not in the charts or in the musics TVs or in advertisements .