✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

So Many Changes in Coldplay...

Don't Shiver

I'm curious to know the last time the band made that statement. I couldn't find any recent direct quote.

i'm not saying this is exactly proof (it's certainly not a direct quote, either :P), but the shared profit was mentioned in this article: http://coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89286

Like REM and U2, Coldplay operate as a democracy; all profits are shared equally (though Martin writes most of the songs) and in photographs or interviews, Martin refuses to be singled out. You talk to the band together or not at all.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious to know the last time the band made that statement. I couldn't find any recent direct quote.

the 10% to charity ? I saw Chris and Jonny tlak about it in an interview this week actually ! Chris said that when he was 10 years old his mother would give him 10 dollars but take a dollar from it to charity and that is how they decided to do it.

edit : I found the video, at 3:27 http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/coldplay/x48lliq?mediaid=7941910

the 10% to charity ? I saw Chris and Jonny tlak about it in an interview this week actually ! Chris said that when he was 10 years old his mother would give him 10 dollars but take a dollar from it to charity and that is how they decided to do it.

edit : I found the video, at 3:27 http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/coldplay/x48lliq?mediaid=7941910

I stand corrected.

I like JackZ take on it

Weird interview,but if I had to guess about the drugs thing, it'd be that Guy probably did something before and they decided it would be stupid to kick him out of the band for it and abolished the rule, but surely they didn't just let him continue to do it...

Magne no more A-ha not exist more and more he is in debt just like me. and mew, no one knows. Apart from Asia and the world Scandinavian in independent music of movies Danish and mew not in the charts or in the musics TVs or in advertisements .
How do you know Magne is in dept? You just assume so because a-ha no longer exists?

Also, Mew videoclips are still shown on TV and even their music is used in advertisements - just check out a certain Scandinavian shoebrand and their 2011 commercial. It is still aired here on Dutch tv. It has Mew- Beach in it.

bad mood between the bands exist example for Coldplay on Violet Hill video. kind of a whim of Chris'is me and not others I am the leader :dozey:

but is a past :)

It's just a video :confused: they just play music and Chris sings/playbacks. How would that reflect such a thing as a bad mood within the band?

no it's stories with his solo career. (all have problems in life me too. I have to give a lot of money to everyone, because I can not live and eat just a fact)

and you know why guys have created Apparatjik? what is real people apparatjik ?

a damn horrible pressure of power showbiz world, medias papes and others. the people who run for money label bosses and other people that reduce a slave human being and not have to life with dignity and in peace. :(

It's just a video :confused: they just play music and Chris sings/playbacks. How would that reflect such a thing as a bad mood within the band?

written here too :

http://www.20min.ch/ro/musique/news/story/23275634

Avant votre dernier album, «Viva la Vida», vous aviez eu des problèmes au sein du groupe. Comment était l’ambiance cette fois?

Bonne. Nous avons trouvé une façon agréable de nous dire les choses. Et le fait d’avoir enfin notre propre studio nous aide: on n’est plus pressés par le temps. Si ça commence à chauffer, on peut s’en aller. Nous habitons tous à quelques minutes du studio.

TY so much for the clip, Lilly. I'm glad they're still giving the "dime" to charity, but nowhere do they say they still get equal pay.

TY so much for the clip, Lilly. I'm glad they're still giving the "dime" to charity, but nowhere do they say they still get equal pay.

It's still reported in almost every article about the band (the Billboard one, the Sunday Times One etc.) Articles like this are usually very tightly controlled by the band's camp, virtually nothing gets mentioned if it's not the band's official line. Even if that's not the case, if it were no longer true, there would be someone willing to "expose" that fact, which would itself be newsworthy in the right circles.

How do we know...possibly the other 3 decided to 'pay' Chris extra for taking on the spotlight. He manages most of the publicity...even when they appear in groups, he does most of the talking. In past interviews some of them (I distinctly remember Guy) have said how they appreciate Chris's willingness to take the hits for them. Maybe they've decided as a group that he should earn more.

As far as drug use. I think of that 'rule' as a naive pronouncement of 4 very committed young men. They were smart & focused and knew how hard they would need to work to find success. They couldn't risk any attention-zappers. Fame came, stresses build and things happen. If one of them succumbed to temptations, it would be in the band's best interest to stay intact, along with their general caring for each other.

I'm just throwing this out there as a possibility. Who knows?

wasn't the "drug" rule that if any of them did drugs, they'd be out of the band?

maybe they just decided that was a bit harsh, as it makes it sound like the person would be kicked out of not just the band, but the friendship. i think they would probably rather try to help the person through it instead... :shrug:

This.

If they've changed the rule it's because it might be too harsh. It sounds a bit as if they would completely give up on that person and he would be in an even worse position.

Thinking about it I don't care if Chris gets a bigger part of the money now. He does do more as others of you said - more music video effort and screen time, interviews, spotlight, writing lyrics etc. If it's the case it's probably the other members who have suggested his possible raise.

I was at the Absolute Radio interview today and he said categorically "we are a democracy, we split everything equally, bands that don't share the rewards, don't share the bad times and that's when they split up" And Jonny agreed.

Like I said, I'd bet money on it being assigned for charity.

I was at the Absolute Radio interview today and he said categorically "we are a democracy, we split everything equally, bands that don't share the rewards, don't share the bad times and that's when they split up" And Jonny agreed.

Like I said, I'd bet money on it being assigned for charity.

That's the sole reason I care about this. Bands where things are unequal have a decided tendency to split up (or have umpteen lineup changes ie. Oasis.) If the rest of the band wants him to have more money, that's cool, but if he's given himself a pay raise at the expense of giving the others a pay cut, that's bad for the stability of the band, which is bad for us, the fans.

:nod:

How does that interview or quote from interview say that the video of Violet Hill is showing that there's a bad mood within the band? I cannot see it at all.

people see and they want in interpretation of videos, songs .. and I do my personal interpretation, false or not, me not know.

everyone see what they want. Considering that songs and videos is art from artistic .

but had problems in the band in the past is writing.

Just to put this credit thing to rest once and for all, taken from an interview he did in Norwich on Thursday:

How have you kept that going? So many bands fall apart or at least a couple of members drop off…

We share credit. And we share money.

You promote Fair Trade and equality. Does this ethic extend to the working of the band?

In 80% of what we do, yes.

So there’s no animosity?

No there’s no animosity at all over money. If one of you is much, much richer than the other and arrives to work on a skateboard whilst another one lands on the roof in a helicopter…it’s going to cause problems… I’m sorry for eating whilst talking to you by the way. (Chris is eating his dinner: chunky vegetable soup.)

http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5060868#post5060868