✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

So Many Changes in Coldplay...

Don't Shiver

the only one that is Profitable wins and it's Guy & Martin because it values ​​in the recording industry worldwide .

Apparatjik done volunteer, planted trees, sponsored a fashion house. and others.

Apparatjk be profitable if the wanted they could have been as Black Eyed Peas but Black Eyed Peas is fans of Apparatjik and not their public or label . because rappers is a culture own.

Magne no more A-ha not exist more and more he is in debt just like me. and mew, no one knows. Apart from Asia and the world Scandinavian in independent music of movies Danish and mew not in the charts or in the musics TVs or in advertisements .

A-Ha were one of the most successful pop acts of all time, I'm sure Mags is fairly well off.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok,I know I'm seriously spamming this thread, but I've been having more thoughts about the royalties issue.

It really doesn't make sense to me that if the split is no longer equal, so many news articles on the band are still reporting that it is. Things like that in articles are almost always fact checked and even if they weren't the information that can apparently can be easily looked up would have been picked up and reported on by someone by now, and yet all reports still repeat the equal split line. This goes double for a band like Coldplay who have legions of detractors who would jump at the chance to expose something like this, especially if the band is actively disseminating the fact that they're equal partners. All I can think is that there must be more to this situation than meets the eye.

I honestly don't think it means anything. Just because it's listed like that doesn't mean that's what the band actually does.

If they're still saying everything is equal, then everything is equal. I can't think of any situation whereby Chris would say "oh hey guys I'm gonna start taking a larger cut than you but I'm still gonna say we split it equally so can you just go along with that please?" and them just taking it lying down. They don't strike me as pushovers.

Another possibility is the fact that they give 10% of their profits to charity. It said that J, W and G are getting 9.5% and C is getting 19%, perhaps they split it that way so that 10% can be accounted for, but Chris never actually sees it.

Guest howyousawtheworld
A-Ha were one of the most successful pop acts of all time, I'm sure Mags is fairly well off.

And a great band they were as well. So much more to them than Take On Me.

I honestly don't think it means anything. Just because it's listed like that doesn't mean that's what the band actually does.

If they're still saying everything is equal, then everything is equal. I can't think of any situation whereby Chris would say "oh hey guys I'm gonna start taking a larger cut than you but I'm still gonna say we split it equally so can you just go along with that please?" and them just taking it lying down. They don't strike me as pushovers.

Another possibility is the fact that they give 10% of their profits to charity. It said that J, W and G are getting 9.5% and C is getting 19%, perhaps they split it that way so that 10% can be accounted for, but Chris never actually sees it.

Exactly. That's the kind of thing that breaks up bands.

Just wanted to say something about the drug thing: I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. Maybe they tried out a few harmless things, I don't see anything wrong with that, personally. (Then again, I am from Holland. ;))

I mean, drugs are dangerous when you're in the wrong environment, with the wrong people, but I think our boys are absolutely fine.

And yeah, maybe it's just sleeping pills. Or a bit too much alcohol.

(Alcohol is about as dangerous as an average 'hard drug', though.)

I'm not saying drugs are ok and I don't want to offend anyone by the way, just that it's not necessarily always a bad thing.

I'm assuming this is for UK rights?

Yeah, it's for the UK only, so I don't know how they split their profits over in the US.

I suppose they all agree to the percentage and I know Chris is the main person in the band who comes up with all the music and lyrics, it's just that they've always sort of said that all their profits are always shared equally in the band. :thinking:

I don't really mind, as long as there are no arguments or fights over who gets how much and whatnot.

This would seem only fair now, as Chris is the major contributor of lyrics and music that he gets paid the lions share of the profits. It's not as if any of them are struggling for a £/$ or Euro any longer. Guy already has other sources of income in the form of his production work and Apparatjik and I'm sure they all have investment returns that will keep them warm at night. But why should Chris only get 12.5% if no one else is writing entire songs (the others get 9.5% for coming up with rifts, odd lines and turning up to play instruments but get out of the majority of interviews - not a bad way to spend your days)

As for the drugs - personal preferences I guess, it's not just something exclusive to the entertainment industry so why should we be surprised? - they aren't physically inhibiting/injurying or endangering you or I so why should it be of our concern how they spend their money or obtain the level of relaxation that enables them to sleep of instance? After all Multi-vitamins and Cod Liver Oil are drugs too :o :P Opinions on such topics change for all of us as we "grow up" and that's all that has happened for these 4 men (just they've grown up in front of us and now learnt to be a little more coy about what they say) I personally hope that what ever battles they MAY have had either individually or as a band unit in regards to drugs are now behind them and that there is no longer a need to discuss this topic in the media. Isn't it funny of all the topics Chris was so vocal about over the years, the trivial ones are the ones thrown back in their faces... Lets talk about the progress of Fair Trade campaigns or the ongoing requirement of funding for Oxfam instead - I guess they aren't such emotional topics for magazine media these days. :palm:

As for the music changing, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. My preferences and infulences have changed in the last 10 years and I'm sure yours have too, so why shouldn't theirs? Their abilities, skills and experiences will also influence what sort of music they make. If they didn't move on I'm sure we'd all complain about how stagnant their music was and why should we buy another 14 songs worth of ROBTTH/Parachutes/X&Y/Viva * (SELECT your LEAST favourite) because what you love someone else hates and vise versa. So I can only imagine the guys have decided that they are happy with MX and can accept that they will both lose and gain fans with this piece of work. That after all is one of the guarentees in life.

^

My thoughts exactly:D

That said, while Chris is undoubtedly the primary (in most cases sole) lyricist, both he and Will have stated on numerous occasions that Jonny is the primary musical songwriter., which I guess just makes the whole thing more confusing.

The fact that Jonny is the main music writer is totally new to me! I always thought Chris wrote the tunes. Could you cite a source for your statement? I would really appreciate it!

wasn't the "drug" rule that if any of them did drugs, they'd be out of the band?

maybe they just decided that was a bit harsh, as it makes it sound like the person would be kicked out of not just the band, but the friendship. i think they would probably rather try to help the person through it instead... :shrug:

That's what I was thinking. I just don't think that if one of them confessed to taking drugs or whatever, the rest of the band would say 'Right, you're out, goodbye.'

Btw, I LOOOOOVE your sig! :D

Yeah, it's for the UK only, so I don't know how they split their profits over in the US.

I suppose they all agree to the percentage and I know Chris is the main person in the band who comes up with all the music and lyrics, it's just that they've always sort of said that all their profits are always shared equally in the band. :thinking:

I don't really mind, as long as there are no arguments or fights over who gets how much and whatnot.

I can't see that any of the others would stick around if they felt they weren't being treated equitably. They all have enough of a profile in the industry as members of such a huge band to attract enough attention to a new project if that's what they wanted. Heck, Guy's still in the band and he's already got like 16 other ventures going.:laugh3:

That's what I was thinking. I just don't think that if one of them confessed to taking drugs or whatever, the rest of the band would say 'Right, you're out, goodbye.'

Guy's already pretty much confessed to doing some drugs (mainly pot I think) in the early days, He's just careful never to say it explicitly.

Yeah, if sleeping pills are his biggest problem then I think they'll be fine.

Sleeping pills can be highly addictive and hav devastating side effects. Just because they can be obtained with a prescription, it does not make them safe. They are powerful drugs to be used with moderation

The fact that Jonny is the main music writer is totally new to me! I always thought Chris wrote the tunes. Could you cite a source for your statement? I would really appreciate it!

I'll see if I can find anything on it. I know I've heard both Chris and Will mention it.

yeah, plus, i feel like since they all have families now, they are probably less inclined to start doing hardcore drugs... of course, that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. :P

aww, thanks. :wacky:

wasn't the "drug" rule that if any of them did drugs, they'd be out of the band?

maybe they just decided that was a bit harsh, as it makes it sound like the person would be kicked out of not just the band, but the friendship. i think they would probably rather try to help the person through it instead... :shrug:

I think early on that was a "rule" they were young and maybe thought as they were starting out as a band that drugs might "ruin" them, now that they are older and have made a name for themselves they don't feel the need for this "rule". Personally, who cares if they have a smoke, toke, or drink, they are big boy's:thinking::lol:

A-ha has never been recognized nor his record company never done anything to promote the band (much they have a lifetime of official DVDs by Warner) nor the medias and nor the bands.

hear their solos albums and you'll hear the real A-ha.

I remember how I got on my nerves over the years because the medias are bad .

and that only bands like Coldplay they were recognized long before 2005.

said here

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu1G0F12H9I]A-HA ITW Arte 2009 - YouTube[/ame]

but you know see this interview just a war between Magne & Morten negative voltage (Morten critical voice of Magne, and Magne have nerve ) all kind of circus maybe about a stupid girl.

the band can disappear even for something stupid and leave fans in tears because they think they have lost their family A-ha .

I'm curious to know the last time the band made that statement. I couldn't find any recent direct quote.

This!

In all the clips I've watched (and I've listened to every single interview posted in the Mulitmedia section), when asked the question, will, Guy, Jonny, always point to Chris. Even in the recent interview at Taratata, Will said Chris writes their lyrics even though the latter was trying to be modest as usual. Of course Jonny writes his guitar riffs which are great. There wouldn't be a Coldplay sound without those.

I'm curious to know the last time the band made that statement. I couldn't find any recent direct quote.

As far as I know, no band member has mentioned it since the X and Y era,and it seems to have gone omitted in articles about the band since around the same time.