✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[31-Dec-11] Coldplay to headline New Year's Eve gig, Abu Dhabi, UAE

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's done, what a great concert!!! Setlist...Hurts Like Heavennn, Yellow and In My Place

Major Minus, Lost.... The Scientist, Violet Hills, God Put A Smile, Up In Flames, Us Against The World, Viva La Vida, Charlie Brown, Fix You, Clocks... Paradise, Every Teardrop and... Fireworkssss

na01ja-Cover02.jpg

Coldplay's lead guitarist Jonny Buckland, left, and singer Chris Martin usher in the New Year amid a torrent of confetti at their concert in Abu Dhabi.

na01ja-Cover01.jpg

Members of the audience cheer during the Coldplay concert in Abu Dhabi for New Year's Eve, 2011.

In Abu Dhabi, revellers were ringing in the New Year with a Coldplay concert at the Volvo Ocean Race Destination Village.

The band opened with Hurts Like Heaven, from their newest album Mylo Xyloto. Giant yellow, green and blue balloons sailed across the crowd as the band played Yellow, from their 2000 debut album.

Afterwards came In My Place, the lead single from their second album, A Rush of Blood to the Head.

Adam Dunne, 27, from the UK, came with his wife.

"To celebrate New Year's Eve at a Coldplay concert is just amazing. The atmosphere and the crowd has really made it," he said.

Flash Entertainment estimated there were 20,000 fans ringing in the new year at the concert.

During the afternoon, the sounds of the band warming up were an added excitement for visitors who attended the opening day of the Corniche's Destination Village.

The band was rehearsing during a sound check at a stage adjacent to the village, where visitors milled about, listening in anticipation of the New Year's Eve concert.

"It's exciting to hear them practise; I just can't wait to hear them properly tonight," said Rachel Freeman, a UK expatriate who was exploring the village with her family before the show.

link

The concert was amazing! The best possible way to spend a new years eve :) I was quite close to the stage on Guy's side. Guy was even better looking in person and his bass was quite loud. He wa really smiley and kept laughing at Chris and Jonny's bromance. Chris was brilliant as usual and his guitar smash during GPASUYF was hilarious. He kept sprinting up and down the ramp or just lolling on the floor. Jonny was on fire and shined during In My Place :) will was adorable! He sang the end of UATW and the crowd bellowed his name :) what I really love was that each membe of the band had their moment to shine. The grafitti background during Paradise was incredible and the video on the screens had that pink and blue Studiofeed effect. After Fix You, Chris counted down to new year. They then played ETIAW and fireworks erupted. They then bowed and left :( the crowd sang the viva chant for a good ten minutes! We noticed their families sitting on top by the left of the stage although the lights didn't go on them too much, we just assumed. Chris dedicated UATW to his family. Overall a wonderful night: will as adorable as ever, brilliant during GPASUYF; Jonny on fire during Charlie brown (the lights were fucking amazing! Best song of the night); Chris was charming beyond belief and The Scientist was beautiful; Guy was really enjoying Major Minus! He looked unbelievably handsome. I love this band so much :dazzled: sorry for typos!

Countdown

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTwriFZIUqc]Countdown to New Year 2012 with Coldplay Live - YouTube[/ame]

MX/HLH/Yellow/part of IMP

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOBnc-jyZP8]Coldplay abu dhabi 2012 opening ( intro ) NEW YEAR EVE - YouTube[/ame]

part of Yellow

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gNcNq7Tzw4]Coldplay performs Yellow in Abu Dhabi concert - NYE - YouTube[/ame]

Coldplay is spot-on in Abu Dhabi

Group gives memorable New Year's eve performance at the Abu Dhabi Breakwater

2527631047.jpg

Coldplay perform on New Year's eve at the Volvo Ocean Race in Abu Dhabi on Saturday.

3057314444.jpg

The four-piece group, led by Chris Martin came onstage just after 10pm.

3852513544.jpg

Chris Martin's voice wasn't the strongest at times, but the band were pitch-perfect in every other way.

338123878.jpg

Fans enjoy Coldplay's performance on New Year's eve at the Volvo Ocean Race in Abu Dhabi on Saturday.

When Coldplay last performed in Abu Dhabi, many remember the gig as being amazing and memorable. When pressed, they say it's because of the massive lightning storm that took place as the British alternative rock band performed.

After their New Year's Eve performance at the Abu Dhabi Breakwater, people will still remark how memorable the band were - and this time, it's thanks to the music.

The four-piece group, led by the boyishly handsome Chris Martin (perhaps many in the crowd wondered, as I did, what his wife Gwyneth Paltrow was doing for New Year's Eve), came on just after 10pm and put in a solid set until just before midnight, perfectly timing what we thought was their last song to segue into a 20-second countdown to the New Year.

"We're so happy you're spending your New Year's Eve with us," said Martin as giant timers ticked down and the crowd chanted along with him.

He'd had the 20,000-strong audience eating out of his hand since the moment he stepped on the stage, and sat down at his signature upright piano to play the songs that have brought the band worldwide fame, from their first hits such as Yellow - one of the biggest sing-alongs of the night—and Fix You, the huge Viva La Vida, and finally the current radio hits, Paradise and Every Tear is a Waterfall.

With five studio albums, the band - comprising alongside Martin bassist Guy Berryman, lead guitarist Jonny Buckland, and drummer Will Champion - had more than enough material to do a two-hour set, and so after a short break for fireworks to the left of the stage, they returned, a surprise to the audience - I'd expect things to be wrapped up after the sparkles in the sky faded. In fact they came back to play another hit, and to douse the crowd with glitter and confetti.

It's as they had done earlier in the night, shooting neon paper into the air, matching the colours on the Mylo Xyloto album (the band wears these colours too, and the stage background featured the yellow, green and pink in hypnotic swirls).

Martin's voice wasn't the strongest at times, but the band were pitch-perfect in every other way - in fact, it was comparable sometimes to hearing them on the radio, so spot-on were they.

link

Best New Years EVER.

Coldplay was as ever, AMAZING. Although it was PAINFULLY short:cry: but at least we got to spend new years with them so I shouldn't complain. Chris was bouncing up and down the stage like we know him to. He didn't talk as much as he did the last time he was here though. It felt like he was little sad. I don't know, just a general feeling I had.

I was front row, Guy's side so I couldn't really see johnny and Will from my angle a lot but from what I did get to see was an electrifying Will drumming away. Unbelievable energy, incredibly talented.

Johnny was so NICE. His usual self, what can I say. He cheering us on whenever we belted a tune. All of them did actually. But he was absolutely amazing. Especially on In My Place cos that's the part were he moves up the MX stage and does his"solo".

Guy completely shocked me with how sweet he was and not at all what I pictured him to be, cold and un-phase. He was smiley all the time laughing at us and cheered us all the way especially when we were singing The Scientist. I was completely impressed with how loud we were especially with that song. Chris even said at one point, "I can't believe it took us this long to come here".

But If I had to narrow it down to a special moment, then I have got to say it was Charlie Brown. It got every one on their feet everybody was dancing like CRAZY to that song. I remember thinking if only they can play it again!

A group of girls came prepared with their elephant props (elephant hand-made bow-ears) and Charlie Brown lyrics and Paradise signs. They were so cute. Chris looked twice at them to read what they had written and smiled at them. A roadie even took a picture of them dancing with their elephant gear on. So here's to hoping they making it on the Roadie 42 blog.

Butterfly and MX confetti were BEAUTIFUL. I'm not even sure there were balloons at the concert=( Didn't get any bouncing off of my head. No xylobands, like Chris said. Some ppl got their own version of glowing wrist bands with them. Fireworks at the beginning of Hurts Like Heaven and at the end of the countdown. It was....magical. One of the best moments of the concert.

Chris said that their families were here. So we assumed they were the ones at the balcony waving at the crowd the whole time. It was funny. Knowing that Gwenyth was there but not being able to see her was a funny feeling. Chris dedicated ETDWF for his "baby".

Overall, one of the best experience(s),of my life. Every single moment that lead up to last night's concert was worth everything.

Happy new year to everyone! And to all of you guys here on coldplaying.com, you guys were definitely on my mind :) Hope you guys have the best year coming!

Till next time;)

Her's the Setlist:

The Abu Dhabi New Year's Eve Concert

Hurts Like Heaven

Yellow

In My Place

Major Minus

Lost!

The Scientist

Violet Hill

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face

Up In Flames