✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[25-Apr-2012] Coldplay @ Keyarena, Seattle, WA, USA

Jenjie

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quotable quotes from Chris:

"bet you're all thinking, why does this band Coldplay have such sad songs when they have the most handsome bass player in the world? Just look at him. He's definitely the most handsome bass player of all the bands"

"thanks for coming out tonight, must be so hard with traffic and work and school"

of course, he also said Us Against The World was about our baseball team who are not doing so well right now :)

Clocks

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO_a6HwhTAs[/ame]

Paradise

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=I79Od0BEFeY[/ame]

Viva La Vida

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gHah_b1gAw[/ame]

Yellow

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvCztqKiImI[/ame]

Fix You

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=9anLvHOWS9I[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxk6FvojDg8[/ame]

Princess Of China

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGT2_JTWn64[/ame]

Charlie Brown

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBtsybcObbM[/ame]

MX/Hurts Like Heaven

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn_89FecIy0[/ame]

ETIAW

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftHLjPKWQhI[/ame]

GPASUYF

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE1t2Zd6zHI[/ame]

Warning Sign

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWgR1ZjF_Os[/ame]

Clocks

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTqjQMcwVaU[/ame]

Charlie Brown

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NbgRf2tGXo[/ame]

Quotable quotes from Chris:

"bet you're all thinking, why does this band Coldplay have such sad songs when they have the most handsome bass player in the world? Just look at him. He's definitely the most handsome bass player of all the bands"

"thanks for coming out tonight, must be so hard with traffic and work and school"

of course, he also said Us Against The World was about our baseball team who are not doing so well right now :)

Aaaawww :wacky:

So I went through my pics and videos and have some pretty darn good ones! Like I said before, I'll try to post them by this wknd bit I have spotty internet access the next few days and have to upload them from my camera. I have some pretty good vids (recorded HD) of the following (but none longer than a few mins as I wanted to enjoy the show since it was my only one this tour!)

Intro/MX

HLH

IMP (Chris came over really close at one point!)

LIJ

Violet Hill

GPASUYF (Will drumming)

Warning sign

DLIBYH (again, Chris came over right by me)

VLV

Charlie Brown

UATW (kinda far as I was next to the stage)

End clap/exit (only like 5 secs as my camera battery was dead lol)

MX/Hurts Like Heaven

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUwoNLT-cbQ[/ame]

Violet Hill (beginning)

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ckgYXebvp0[/ame]

Princess Of China

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=32QMaPzH9lk[/ame]

Viva La Vida

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mu1orXkFG8[/ame]

Charlie Brown

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O9g5EJjrQ4[/ame]

MX/Hurts Like Heaven

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMiJTpPiafw[/ame]

Major Minus

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iW0LfXU21Y[/ame]

ETIAW

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoYL6I8fWb0[/ame]

In My Place

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=WodMg8iulyM[/ame]

The Scienstist

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAbYRIl1mog[/ame]

Yellow

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaRJmDIlYIU[/ame]

Warning Sign

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=suvmi13-HkI[/ame]

GPASUYF

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLl-awg2MXs[/ame]

Hello, hello! Saw the show last night and had a blast (first time seeing them). Great show (although I sure wish it had been a little longer ... oh well). Had a great seat, sang at the top of my lungs, just really enjoyed it. In My Place was probably my favorite part, thanks to the confetti and it being my favorite Coldplay song.

I am DYING to know what song was playing over the PA before the Jay-Z song. I thought I'd remember the repeating lyric well enough to Google it today, but alas, no. I know the Jay-Z song was played at least in Vancouver, not sure if those two songs are the same at each show.

I looked over some of the other threads in the live forum to see if there was a thread that addressed it, but didn't see one. Can anyone help identify that song? Thanks!

Live Review, Photo Set: Coldplay, Metronomy, The Pierces at Key Arena

Coldplay_01-600x400.jpg

A little over a decade ago, I saw Coldplay live for the first time. I actually went to the show for Grandaddy; The Sophtware Slump had just come out and they were touring with the buzzworthy young band from England. Coldplay’s Parachutes, already a hit with the press across the Atlantic, were now barely scraping into 120 Mintues regular rotation, and only hinting at a break into TRL canon. But Chris Martin was as chatty as ever, charmingly nervous but willing to play up the part of the big rock star. Multiple times he commented on the strangeness of the venue (they played Benaroya Hall of all places), and even once he said that this would be the perfect venue for a band much, much bigger than they were.

Coldplay_02.jpg

Fast forward to 2012. Coldplay is now playing soccer and football stadiums, with extravagant stage setups and enough set designers in tow to screw in many many fluorescent lightbulbs. Mylo Xyloto marks their fifth album and their fifth reimaging, this time as like a fluorescent, ravetastic version of Disney’s “Newsies”. They brought a piece of the city with them, a large graffiti mural emblazoned with inspirational tidbits and lyric snippet. And of course they have the Arena Rock Catwalk, so they can of course “come into the crowd” and “feel the audience’s energy.” Which they did. Multiple times

Coldplay_12-600x400.jpg

Their set breezed by on a tight schedule, bouncing back and forth between earlier and later hits. All killer, no filler, as they say. Taking notes from the Flaming Lips’ live shows, Coldplay brought their toys: paint splattered balloons, a metric ton of M, X, and heart shaped confetti, fluorescent fish (?), lasers, spotlights, scaffolding, blacklights, you name it. Wristbands were distributed before the show which lit up in sequence to the music, giving the concert at the Key Arena the air of a soccer game. And by the feel of the crowd, our team was winning.

Coldplay_04.jpg

Speaking of sports, Chris Martin’s banter was very sports heavy. A shout out to the Seahawks during “ “ and a song dedicated to the poor start of the Mariners (“Us Against The World“) had an audience of all ages eating out of the palm of his hand.

When you think about it objectively, it’s amazing that a band like Coldplay, spanning the years that they have, haven’t really made an egregious misstep in their careers. Every single one of their studio albums is a little better than average, with a healthy amount of truly memorable modern rock moments sprinkled amongst them. And they’ve never been afraid to grow, to reinvent, to change form and run with it. Kind of like Radiohead, but without the art school shackling or the moody estrangement. It was never meant to be more than fun.

But the question remains, does a band like Coldplay, inoffensive enough but never really groundbreaking, deserve a concert like this? As their albums go on, their sound becomes more and more bombastic, epic, arena. But even older tunes like “Warning Sign,” “In My Place,” and even “Yellow,” sound larger than life, larger than they were back in 2001.

When Martin and company were playing Benaroya, I believe he didn’t think Coldplay were going to be the biggest band in the world. But I do believe he thought they’d get close.

PS Metronomy played too. They are a small, small band, rigidly English and not really worth noting. They played like they couldn’t wait to get away from the crowd.

link

Photos:

Coldplay_01.jpg

Coldplay_02.jpg

Coldplay_03.jpg

Coldplay_04.jpg

Coldplay_05.jpg

Coldplay_06.jpg

Coldplay_07.jpg

Coldplay_08.jpg

Coldplay_09.jpg

Coldplay_10.jpg