✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[25-Jun-2012] Coldplay @ Toyota Center, Houston, Texas, USA

Jenjie

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Confetti-soaked Coldplay concert proves Chris Martin is the hardest working entertainer around

Entering Toyota Center, I almost didn't take the wristband that the ticket taker offered. That would have been a mistake. Even before the first song of the Coldplay concert Monday night, a recorded version of Jay-Z's "99 Problems" boomed through the stadium and activated the sound-sensitive wristbands into a glow that enveloped the massive arena.

And a magical night of confetti in neon colors, flashing lights, bouncing rubber balls and songs that everyone at the sold-out concert knew every word to by heart began — and it was pure delight.

Coldplay stepped onto the stage to the theme of Back to the Future, which segued into the opening track, "Hurts Like Heaven," from the band's fifth studio album, Mylo Xyloto, released in late 2011; the audience, waving glittering, glowing wristbands in unison, immediately felt a part of the experience.

(The band estimates they spend $640,000 per concert on the electronic wristbands — most of the tour's profits — but are hesitant to give them up because "it just feels so magical," guitarist Johnny Buckland said.)

After the end of the second song of the set — "In My Place" from 2002's A Rush of Blood to the Head — I was curious to see where the concert could possibly go from there, since lead singer Chris Martin was already positioned in a near-backbend, swimming in a sea of confetti.

I shouldn't have doubted.

From there, following Martin's lead, the band took the audience through a decade-long catalog of songs, from "Major Minus" to "Lovers in Japan" to such resonant hits as "The Scientist" and "Yellow," mixing in thoughtful piano solos with high-energy rock tunes, all accompanied by stunning lights and visuals.

Early on Martin thanked the audience for "taking all the crap" of finding a parking spot, slogging through the crowds, paying too much for tickets and overpriced food — all on a Monday night — to come hear the band and promised, "We're going to try to make this the best fucking show we ever had." Then he delivered.

A nonstop whirling dervish of energy throughout the 90-minute set, Martin continually ran around the circular stage and catwalk piled high with confetti debris, piano and guitars defaced with the same type of neon paint that I used to graffiti my junior high desk. He leapt on risers to get closer to the audience, he jumped up and down in pure unadulterated joy, he did gravity-defying kneebends and, at times, sprawled out on the floor at the end of a song as if thoroughly spent before the audience's energy willed him back into action.

If, at times, his voice cracked under the strain of singing so enthusiastically for so long — he sang 21 songs (an unusually large number for a singer of his stature in an arena concert) — it didn't matter. Though he's a superstar singer with a movie-star wife, at heart, he's really just a working class guy determined to give the crowd their money's worth — and more.

Midway through the evening, the band set up at the end of the catwalk for a mix of songs, and then returned to the main stage for a renditions of a drum-laden "Viva La Vida" (with surely one of the all-time great sing-along refrains), a graphics-accompanied "Charlie Brown" and a hard-hitting "Paradise," where the audience again sang along in unison. At the conclusion of the song, Martin said, "You're making me feel like this is a holiday."

After what felt like an encore pause, the band reappeared in the middle of the audience in the cheaper, higher seats away from the action — complete with an upright piano — for two heart-wrenching acoustic songs, "Us Against the World" and "Speed of Sound," before returning to the stage for a real finale triad: "Clocks," "Fix You" and "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall."

Then, the four-member band who have known each other since college, stayed on stage for several minutes and cheered the audience in return, as if they were reluctant to leave. It was that kind of night.

Coldplay will play a second Houston show at the Toyota Center on Tuesday at 7 p.m. Wolf Gang and Robyn open.

link

Photos

012_Coldplay_06252012_CP.800w_600h.jpg

001_Coldplay_06252012_CP.800w_600h.jpg

016_Coldplay_06252012_CP.800w_600h.jpg

011_Coldplay_06252012_CP.800w_600h.jpg

015_Coldplay_06252012_CP.800w_600h.jpg

014_Coldplay_06252012_CP.800w_600h.jpg

017_Coldplay_06252012_CP.800w_600h.jpg

013_Coldplay_06252012_CP.800w_600h.jpg

010_Coldplay_06252012_CP.800w_600h.jpg

007_Coldplay_06252012_CP.525w_700h.jpg

005_Coldplay_06252012_CP.800w_600h.jpg

Last Night: Coldplay at Toyota Center

Coldplay%20June%2026%201-thumb-560x373.jpg

At the risk of obliterating the last remnants of my punk-rock cred, I guess I never really understood all the Coldplay hate. Chris Martin's Ernest Lee Sincere routine puts a lot of people off, sure, and some (like my neighbor) bailed on them when they started dressing like Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, but while some of their music might be reminiscent of those songs you can't place as you're wandering through the outlet mall, Coldplay has some legitimately good tunes. So what if Martin married Gwyneth Paltrow, the heart wants what it wants.

Right, Ric Ocasek?

Rocks Off has to admit, Coldplay puts on a hell of a show. It was obvious even as the last chords of Robyn's opening set were fading out and the coverall-clad roadies started setting up that we were in for an audio/visual feast, and they didn't disappoint.

At heart, we suspect Martin and company know it would be hard to hold a modern crowd's attention through portions of their catalog, so they charge out of the gate and grab you by the throat from the outset.

Oh, does your favorite band drench the crowd in confetti during the closing number? Coldplay does it the second song, bitches (and then again two songs later). Does your favorite band sell glow sticks to wave at random intervals? Coldplay gives away free bracelets that light up by remote control!

The coolness of seeing this multicolor display last night was only slightly tempered by the nagging suspicion that the goddamn thing is now broadcasting images of my bedroom back to some giant marketing conglomerate.

Or maybe the bracelet thing was for the band's own amusement. We didn't major in psychology.

Are all of these -- confetti ("In My Place"), giant balloons ("The Scientist"), and singalongs ("Yellow," "Violet Hill") -- not-so-cheap parlor tricks designed to distract an audience from occasionally over-precious songwriting?

Perhaps, but they worked. Rocks Off won't claim the roars of approval were louder than Sunday night's One Direction show (though probably less high-pitched), but by the sound of it, whatever Martin and the boys were selling, most of us were buying it.

It would be easy to mistake Coldplay for "Chris Martin and Friends," but the band's sound owes as much to guitarist (and co-founding member) Jonny Buckland as Martin's falsetto. His distinctive riffs were in evidence in everything from "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" to "Speed of Sound" (one of only two X&Y tracks that made the Mylo Xyloto/Viva La Vida-heavy set list).

The rhythm section of drummer Will Champion and bassist Guy Berryman have also been around since the band's late-'90s formative years. No band defections in a 16-year history are fairly unusual, but evident in their onstage cohesiveness.

For most of the show, Martin roamed a Day-Glo set that resembled something out of To Live and Die in L.A. (with a lighting rig a friend of mine described as "Pink Floyd, circa 1972"). He cuts an athletic if goofy figure: capering jerkily, arms outstretched, occasionally collapsing to the ground (overcome by the adulation, no doubt). And the crowd-pleasing didn't stop with confetti cannons (luckily for Toyota Center, Houston has an ample supply of leaf blowers).

The band set up at the end of the stage runway that extended out to section E for a three-song set consisting of "Princess of China" (with video accompaniment by Rihanna), "Up in Flames," and "Warning Sign." They returned to the main area for four more songs (including "Paradise," another audience participation number), then popped up in section 112 at the back of the arena to do a quick two-fer of "Us Against the World" and "Speed of Sound."

The crowd, already eating out of Martin's hand, were firmly in his grip for the encore of "Clocks," "Fix You," and "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall" (including intro track "M.M.I.X."). All told, not quite an hour and 45 minutes of show, but nobody was complaining. Martin and company were locked in from the get-go and clearly have got their act down to a science, you'll excuse the pun.

They say one of the hallmarks of a true Svengali is leaving those in thrall unaware and/or uncaring that they've ever been manipulated. Well played, Chris Martin. Well played.

Personal Bias: Honestly disappointed at the underrepresentation of X&Y. Not that we'd ever admit to liking X&Y. Heavens, no.

The Crowd: Step right up, step right up: fun for the while family.

Overheard In The Crowd: "Fuck Dallas!", in response to Martin asking us to "make some Houston noise"

Random Notebook Dump: "Is there any job less stressful than floor security at a Coldplay concert?"

link

Coldplay%20June%2026%202.JPG

Coldplay%20June%2026%203.JPG

Coldplay%20June%2026%204.JPG

Coldplay%20June%2026%205.JPG

Coldplay%20June%2026%206.JPG

thisdudeisaverycooldude.png

Panorama: Toyota Center, Houston

26 June 2012 5:44 pm

Check out Roadie #42's crowd shot from last night's show

news_line.png

Good evening. Last night in Houston, Coldplay played to an excellent crowd at the Toyota Center. Here's Roadie #42's panorama photo of them, just before the show. (Special mention to the fan in the thumbnail photo above, who appears to be holding up 4 and 2 with his fingers.) Click the pic to see the hi-res version.

20120625Houston1Crowd_Small.jpg

Anchorman

Okay so I consider myself a huge Coldplay fan! Their music has calmed me during breakups, a divorce, etc... So of course I was emotional last night! When they sang Fix You, I literally started crying! I hope I didn't completely embarrass my fiancé haha but yes, I cried like a baby! The whole experience was surreal! The confetti was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen! The energy was electric. I warned the people sitting next to me that I will sing every lyric and dance my a** off! They were dancing and singing along as well! Last night was the first concert of any kind or my sisters and I was so happy to see them having such a good time! The attendants were very helpful I directing where to go. It was visually the most beautiful thing I have ever seen! Those of you going to the concert tonight are in for a real treat! The videos and pictures don't give the concert any justice! You have to be there to see how truly beautiful the show is! My only complaint is About Robyn. She def looked like she was on something and her music was terrible. Other than that, had the time of my life!

Oh, does your favorite band drench the crowd in confetti during the closing number? Coldplay does it the second song, bitches (and then again two songs later). Does your favorite band sell glow sticks to wave at random intervals? Coldplay gives away free bracelets that light up by remote control!

:lol: I love the Houston Free Press.