✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[25-Jun-2012] Coldplay @ Toyota Center, Houston, Texas, USA

Jenjie

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, what a night! Let’s begin at well ha the beginning. So a couple months ago I applied to work with Oxfam and initially I was not chosen, but they put me on a wait list if anyone dropped out. 2 days later and I got the oh so charming email asking me if I still wanted to do. Well that was easy.. Heck yeah! So I was informed we were to meet at 4 at the box offices and that was that. I drove down from a north Houston suburb and met some incredible people and had a brilliant experience!

Oxfam has some wonderful campaigns and are trying so hard to get people to take note and it can be hard when people just assume you are out for their money. They tend to take the awkward way around you. But then you meet the avid people who are already taking action and love Oxfam, those are the best because you can talk to them with free reign and really understand how they got into Oxfam!

So I worked my best Houston charm for 2 hours promoting #lovefoodhateinjustice My crew were top notch! We had a blast! But not everyone is there for the same reasons, and that puts a damper on things, but the rest of us owned the Toyota Center!

After volunteering they thanked us for our hard work and sent us off with tickets! I had already purchased a ticket so I went to my original spot which if you were to look at the stage from the audience, I was directly to the left of the stage where Guitar Roadie Matt’s layer of Jonny is located, so I got to watch the roadies dancing it out to 99 problems and watched as they prepared for the show to get underway. So I sat down with about 10 minuets to spare before the show starts and there was a couple next to me who commented on how I had just made it and we got to chatting. They kept asking questions about the band and songs and about the wristbands, I pointed out Miller who was on the stage taking the panorama and they thought that was “soooo cool” how they did that (they had already had a couple of beers to begin with)

Then comes 99 problems, and back to the future and I just lit up! Same set list, but it didn’t matter, the show was incredible! I’m pretty sure I gave the guy behind me a black eye when I jumped up and thrusted my fists in the air. Eh his fault. The lights were brilliant and bright, the sound was thrilling and the boys were on fire! Jonny would glance over at us and grin and Guy made his way around the back to say hello to our side during in my place when Chris took over his side. Will, sigh Will was beating his drums to the rhythm of my pulse. I wish I could have gotten a better shot of him with my camera, but he moves to fast ☺ Chris is great about including the folk behind the stage so major props to him!

I didn’t find him overly talkative though; he through in a couple Houston’s and sing this with me bits, but nothing to really shout about. Highlights for tonight had to be a warning sign, and us against the world. Beautiful!

Oh before he began fix you, he tossed in a bit of Beyonce, seeing as this her home town.

Also to the guys who sit way up with the spotlights! Y’all have balls of steal! And to the roadie who chilled behind Will all night, you have one blessed ass to view! Envy to the max!

Great night and I can’t wait to do it all over again tonight! I’ll be on the floor so a different view indeed!

Oh also saw Hoppy before they opened the doors, I called out to him but he gave me a double take, probably because I said his name and because I was dressed as a chili pepper.

Wow what an absolutely amazing night. So my seat was section B row 1 seat 13, which was right in front of the right corner of the X stage. I was super excited that my first concert was going to have such a great view. We walked around a bit to skip out on Robyn because she's really not the greatest. As soon as she finished we worked our way down to our seats and had a terrific view of things. The roadies were hard at work calibrating the lasers and getting Will's funky drum thing(what's it called anyways?) for Up in Flames into position near the bottom of the X stage. I'm pretty sure I say Hoppy (the guy with the jelled back hair?). I also got to see Matt(R42) pretty close since he was taking the panoramic shot and other pictures during the night. Soon Jay-Z's 99 Problems came on, followed up by the Back to the Future theme and after watching the festival shows and other various Coldplay concerts throughout the last year, I knew it was time that the boys come out.

The lights dimmed and soon I saw 4 guys getting into their spots. It was truly amazing, I've watched thousands of their live clips on YouTube and to finally see them in real life was unreal. As soon as MX began, the Xylobands flashed on and everything went nuts. The transition from MX to Hurts Like Heaven was absolutely awesome because of the way Will's drums sounded. I knew it was going to be a great night.

As soon as Hurts Like Heaven ended, Will started bashing the drums again and soon enough In My Place was booming from the speakers. Jonny boy sounded great and as soon as the 'yeah's of In My Place began, confetti was raining down everywhere. I gotta say, it's alot harder catching them as they fall down than it looks haha. Soon Chris was jumping all around the X stage and came right to the part where I was, I reached my hand out as far as it could go, which was touching the top of the X stage, trying to touch Chris. Before I knew it, I made direct eye contact with Chris and he high fived me, WHICH WAS SOMETHING I'LL NEVER FORGET. :)

The concert continued with the usual set list, the lasers/lights during Major Minus are pretty cool and blinding too haha. Lovers In Japan is such a great song, so glad that they have it back in the set again. I got to bounce a couple of the balloons which was pretty awesome. The 'Mellow Yellow' intro of Yellow is really good and sounds great. Will made GPASUYF sound amazing, he's such a fantastic drummer.

The X stage portion of the set came up next, it's so awesome for them to move right into the floor crowd. Will was literally an arm's reach away and I'd be lying if I said I didn't scream out his name a few times lol. The only bad part was that some drunken idiot came right up next to us and was spilling beer all over the place. He was trying to take picture while holding his phone upside down lol.

DLIBYH is really awesome live due to the drums and how the lasers go with the theme of the song. The blow up song symbols look cool too since they pretty much pop out of no where. It's a great addition to the set list and definitely better live than the recorded version. Viva la Vida really got the crowd going crazy and singing. Will's bell has like dust or something powder that blows off of it every time he gives it a whack. The 'ohhhhh' chants were ridiculously loud and crazy. Charlie Brown and Paradise are both major crowd favorites and both sound equally amazing live.

They said goodnight after Paradise and acted like they left, which they've been doing since the festival shows and is honestly kinda dumb. They soon popped up way back somewhere in the 110s section. Us Against the World was pretty normal and nothing really that special. Speed of Sound acoustic was awesome and it was definitely another crowd favorite.

The band then ran back to the main stage to play their final 3 songs. Clocks was definitely much better than I expected and the lasers made it pretty epic. Jonny's solo part on Fix You was amazing and Chris was jumping around on the X stage during that too, so I was able to take a few pictures of him. Before I knew it, the night was coming to an end, MMIX started and I knew that they would soon be playing their greatest song in my opinion, Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall. The drums soared during it and the 'wa wa wa wa's were great, the last minute of that song is absolutely wild and it got the whole place going crazy.

All in all it was a pretty epic night and something I won't be forgetting for a while, especially the high five. Chris bring so much energy to the crowd with all his weird jumps and twirls. I didn't take many pictures, but the few that I took turned out terrible. I'll upload the 2-3 decent ones in a bit. Thanks for reading!

Wow what an absolutely amazing night. So my seat was section B row 1 seat 13, which was right in front of the right corner of the X stage. I was super excited that my first concert was going to have such a great view. We walked around a bit to skip out on Robyn because she's really not the greatest. As soon as she finished we worked our way down to our seats and had a terrific view of things. The roadies were hard at work calibrating the lasers and getting Will's funky drum thing(what's it called anyways?) for Up in Flames into position near the bottom of the X stage. I'm pretty sure I say Hoppy (the guy with the jelled back hair?). I also got to see Matt(R42) pretty close since he was taking the panoramic shot and other pictures during the night. Soon Jay-Z's 99 Problems came on, followed up by the Back to the Future theme and after watching the festival shows and other various Coldplay concerts throughout the last year, I knew it was time that the boys come out.

The lights dimmed and soon I saw 4 guys getting into their spots. It was truly amazing, I've watched thousands of their live clips on YouTube and to finally see them in real life was unreal. As soon as MX began, the Xylobands flashed on and everything went nuts. The transition from MX to Hurts Like Heaven was absolutely awesome because of the way Will's drums sounded. I knew it was going to be a great night.

As soon as Hurts Like Heaven ended, Will started bashing the drums again and soon enough In My Place was booming from the speakers. Jonny boy sounded great and as soon as the 'yeah's of In My Place began, confetti was raining down everywhere. I gotta say, it's alot harder catching them as they fall down than it looks haha. Soon Chris was jumping all around the X stage and came right to the part where I was, I reached my hand out as far as it could go, which was touching the top of the X stage, trying to touch Chris. Before I knew it, I made direct eye contact with Chris and he high fived me, WHICH WAS SOMETHING I'LL NEVER FORGET. :)

The concert continued with the usual set list, the lasers/lights during Major Minus are pretty cool and blinding too haha. Lovers In Japan is such a great song, so glad that they have it back in the set again. I got to bounce a couple of the balloons which was pretty awesome. The 'Mellow Yellow' intro of Yellow is really good and sounds great. Will made GPASUYF sound amazing, he's such a fantastic drummer.

The X stage portion of the set came up next, it's so awesome for them to move right into the floor crowd. Will was literally an arm's reach away and I'd be lying if I said I didn't scream out his name a few times lol. The only bad part was that some drunken idiot came right up next to us and was spilling beer all over the place. He was trying to take picture while holding his phone upside down lol.

DLIBYH is really awesome live due to the drums and how the lasers go with the theme of the song. The blow up song symbols look cool too since they pretty much pop out of no where. It's a great addition to the set list and definitely better live than the recorded version. Viva la Vida really got the crowd going crazy and singing. Will's bell has like dust or something powder that blows off of it every time he gives it a whack. The 'ohhhhh' chants were ridiculously loud and crazy. Charlie Brown and Paradise are both major crowd favorites and both sound equally amazing live.

They said goodnight after Paradise and acted like they left, which they've been doing since the festival shows and is honestly kinda dumb. They soon popped up way back somewhere in the 110s section. Us Against the World was pretty normal and nothing really that special. Speed of Sound acoustic was awesome and it was definitely another crowd favorite.

The band then ran back to the main stage to play their final 3 songs. Clocks was definitely much better than I expected and the lasers made it pretty epic. Jonny's solo part on Fix You was amazing and Chris was jumping around on the X stage during that too, so I was able to take a few pictures of him. Before I knew it, the night was coming to an end, MMIX started and I knew that they would soon be playing their greatest song in my opinion, Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall. The drums soared during it and the 'wa wa wa wa's were great, the last minute of that song is absolutely wild and it got the whole place going crazy.

All in all it was a pretty epic night and something I won't be forgetting for a while, especially the high five. Chris bring so much energy to the crowd with all his weird jumps and twirls. I didn't take many pictures, but the few that I took turned out terrible. I'll upload the 2-3 decent ones in a bit. Thanks for reading!

Great review!

Although, when they were in Dallas this weekend, they didn't do anything after Paradise, except run to the B-stage.