✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[28-Apr-2012] Coldplay @ HP Pavilion At San Jose, San Jose, CA, USA

Tash

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's the Fix You video! Can't make out what he's saying at the start though :inquisitive:

Ok. Here's the story. I can't make it out either. A friend of mine tweeted to Coldplay asking for a shout out for LFDianne because I was driving so far. So it kind of sounded to me like he said "This is for LFdianne" but I wasn't sure because it happened so fast and it is hard to make out. So I was hoping for a decent video. But now it sounds to me like "this is for Phil and banana" so who knows... Lol

Ok. Here's the story. I can't make it out either. A friend of mine tweeted to Coldplay asking for a shout out for LFDianne because I was driving so far. So it kind of sounded to me like he said "This is for LFdianne" but I wasn't sure because it happened so fast and it is hard to make out. So I was hoping for a decent video. But now it sounds to me like "this is for Phil and banana" so who knows... Lol

That would be amazing, especially after you got a wave from Will. Let's hope a better quality of Fix You gets uploaded :)

Charlie Brown

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSZ1rpjDAKE[/ame]

MX/Hurts Like Heaven

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHToEOq8UsA[/ame]

The Scientist/Yellow

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAold7WZRRo[/ame]

How do people keep getting the setlists??

I actually didn't take the set list for this show. I asked a gentleman at the sound/mixing area in the back if I could borrow one to take a photo of it for the article I was writing about the show... if he said, "here you can have it", I would have taken it (:P), but he didn't so I took a photo and handed it back to him.

Coldplay is seriously one of the hardest bands to get set lists off the stage, especially the show last night - I didn't even try. There is so much space between the staging and the barricades that I feel too bad to make enough of a spectacle of myself to ask. Much easier in the smaller shows (I got one at the Club Nokia gig - Guy's set let).

Jason

Hey Jason:

Thanks for all the pictures, videos, the review and posts. It looks unfortunately like the DLIBYH video has a copyright protection claim on it in the states (so we can't view it here). Anyone know of a work around? I would really like to see it.

Regardless, thanks for the effort and everything involved with getting these items up online. Great work and that was one amazing show the fellas put on last night.

Tom

Tom, try now. I deleted the previous upload, and broke out DLIBYH and Viva into two files, and just uploaded DLIBYH and it doesn't seem to have any issues playing in the U.S. now...

Jason

Tom, try now. I deleted the previous upload, and broke out DLIBYH and Viva into two files, and just uploaded DLIBYH and it doesn't seem to have any issues playing in the U.S. now...

Jason

Thank you Jason! Great video and then some.

Tom

Well, here is my short vid from last nights show. Not the greatest quality, but I couldn't have captured the awesomeness of actually being there. :dance:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H420T-76-k&hd=1]Coldplay Mylo Xyloto Tour - San Jose, CA (April 28, 2012) - YouTube[/ame]

Great video^!

The concert last night was my very first ever. It was louder than I expected! But nonetheless, I will never forget this concert. It was amazing. Before we had breakfast at the hotel, my dad, brother and I walked downtown to kill time, I picked up about 10 pieces of confetti( i picked up 7 last night on the way out) and brought them home. This morning, we were driving back home, i was listening to LIJ, and i was looking over at the hill to the north east of San Jose. I could see the sun breaking over the hills, it just reminded me how precious life is. We can expect many more great concerts from them.

Coldplay Turns the Audience Into the Light Show

It's been a ferocious month for great music all over Santa Cruz and a bit beyond. Visually, Coldplay took the prize.

5c913be8cf5dcdb45ff20c67bd0bae7b

You've got to love a band like Coldplay that gives back. I'm not talking about music here, because no one can top Bruce Springsteen, who gave three solid hours of big band playing at the San Jose Arena Tuesday night (attended by many Santa Cruz fans.)

But visually, Coldplay took the prize with a gimmick I'd never seen at a rock show before.

Every person entering what fans will always think of as the Shark Tank (despite whatever corporate sponsor bought the naming rights this year), was given a wristband. There were signs telling them not to throw them away because they were part of the show.

Yeah, it was a corporate wristband, plugging Coldplay on one side and Twitter on the other, but it wasn't offensive.

Having seen pictures from the Friday show and Madonna at the Super Bowl, I knew what was going to happen.

But, I still wasn't prepared for the way the wall between performer and audience fell when the house lights went down and the wristbands lit up in bright colors.

It was the technological equivalent of doing the wave. The audience was now part of the show. See shaky video here.

The lights flickered in time with the music and they weren't used all the time, but as an accent, like fireworks, during big crescendos.

Nice trick. Wonder how much it cost? With prices ranging from $61 to $167 a ticket with service charges, they could afford the nick nack, no doubt most ungreenly imported from China. But it gave something a rock audience may not have seen before and will be talking about for a long time. Too bad they stopped working when you left the arena.

Coldplay, the English band that broke onto the world stage with the alternative hit "Yellow" in 2000, has been on a tightly-controlled and shameless path to follow in the footsteps of U2 and become one of the last big rock bands.

Unlike U2, there is little substance in their songs, which are the musical equivalent of French onion dip and chips or chocolate covered Twinkies, depending on your junk food addiction of choice.

Their whole catalog, with only a few exceptions, is catchy as hell, but lyrically resembles the poems in a junior high school student's diary. The tunes are deceptively simple, but layered in bolder experiments, cornerstone guitar licks here, challenging stops and starts there.

Like little movie soundtracks they sound great while they are playing, but I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone sing one later.

The recordings, like U2's, are produced by Brian Eno, who adds enough layers of glimmer to give them some depth, beneath the sugar coat. Overall, they are less like U2 than they are the current equivalent to old FM standards Journey or Supertramp. They aren't breaking ground so much as putting a shiny patina on it.

That said, their hour and 40 minutes on stage passed in the blink of an eye, one sparkly hit after another with frosted birthday cake visuals to keep everyone happy. (And to cover up the fact that Chris Martin has got NO dance game. He moves more like Elaine from Seinfeld than Mick Jagger. By comparison Bono, with his steelworker frame, seems like a ballerina.)

The set, which was identical both nights in San Jose, covered all but two songs off the new disk, Mylo Xyloto (a cryptic name with no meaning but to be cryptic). But the easy-listening hits were there from their four other albums: "Clocks," "Yellow" (which started dirgelike and acoustic and then built up to the grandeur), "The Scientist," "Fix You."

And they gave. Singer Chris Martin thanked the audience for braving the same traffic they faced getting there. "I know it's a hassle to get to a big show," he said, probably commuting by private jet from L.A. and facing traffic from the San Jose Jet Center.

They played on a B stage in the middle of the hall, and a C stage out in the back of the room, giving fans some intimacy in the hockey tank. They also triggered confetti twice, at a cost of $5,000 a pop to pay for clean up. The visuals were spectacular, the music lush and easy.

Yeah, it's a guilty pleasure to go to a concert that is not the least bit challenging, but simply good fun.

That said, the opening bands had some kick. I will buy discs by Metronomy, a band that definitely challenged the audience with the kind of electronic prog rock popularized by early Genesis and David Bowie and later acts like Muse or Ratatat. See Video. It was refreshingly complex and not easy listening, but the audience seemed to really like them.

The Pierces also played, a sister-fronted band that had a few intriguing tunes. I'd buy them too. What more could an opening band want than to find some new fans in an echoey arena. It worked. (Vid of my favorite song by them..sounds like something from Disney)

PS: The show was said to be sold out and on Friday the only tickets available were behind the stage. On Saturday afternoon, however, there were great center seats available at Ticketmaster.

link

Photos

5c913be8cf5dcdb45ff20c67bd0bae7b

dfa3eb6af71f1e4345728c461da6f08a

b09bad747c31210ba0a85f89a85d258e

453753764ce305407c40aa42647e0d4d

I actually didn't take the set list for this show. I asked a gentleman at the sound/mixing area in the back if I could borrow one to take a photo of it for the article I was writing about the show... if he said, "here you can have it", I would have taken it (:P), but he didn't so I took a photo and handed it back to him.

Coldplay is seriously one of the hardest bands to get set lists off the stage, especially the show last night - I didn't even try. There is so much space between the staging and the barricades that I feel too bad to make enough of a spectacle of myself to ask. Much easier in the smaller shows (I got one at the Club Nokia gig - Guy's set let).

Jason

I asked for the setlist on the first night. One of the security guys was really nice to me because he said i was a true fan :P and he tried so hard to get it for me. He told me he was gonna go try to get it, but he said they didnt give it to him because they were gonna use it the next day. too bad i didnt see him in the second show maybe then he would have been able to get it for me .