✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

12 Coldplay Months of 2011: May review (the beginning of the LP5 era)

Alien Radio

fuzzyman.gif

May was a big month for Coldplay fans.

Anticipation for Coldplay's fifth studio album was on it's climax. Forum was full of rumours and speculations. South African shows were announced, the Oracle confirmed that the LP5 won't be called "Alien Radio"...

But the end of May was a bang. Those were one the the most exciting times to be a Coldplay fan...

Here's a little recap of what happened during May:

01 MAY

It was announced that Coldplay will headline Rock im Park festival on Friday, the 3rd June and Rock am Ring festival on Saturday, the 4th June.

Read more: http://www.coldplaying.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=7416

Here's the full line-up:

3f0ad3de.png

05 MAY

Tickets for Coldplay at Splendour in Grass festival at Bryon Bay in Australia went on sale.

09 MAY

It has been confirmed by the official Coldplay site and radio sources that Coldplay will perform two shows in South Africa:

5th October - Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town

8th October - FNB Stadium, Johannesburg

14 MAY

Tickets problem for South African shows occured - ticket retailer Computicket failed to accommodate the huge demand of tickets for Coldplay's shows.

Read more: "]http://www.coldplaying.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=7424

17 MAY

Coldplay have announced that they will headline Austin City Limits festival at Zilker Park in Austin, Texas on September 16th.

Tickets went on sale on the same day.

18 MAY

There were more and more rumours and speculations on Coldplay's fifth album.

There was organised a poll: "When do you think we'll hear a new single from Coldplay?"

Here are the results:

162ac76.png

23 MAY

Coldplay had a photoshoot, according to Phil on the band's twitter.

He posted one of the photos from the shoot:

20110523photoshoot.jpg

24 - 30 MAY

This was the time when the excitement for LP5 was the biggest.

Coldplay were uploading videos and images on twitter and facebook hinting at - later announced - "Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall" single.

Tweets/posts contained lyrics to ETIAW.

Here are all of them:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

20110525gif1.gif

20110525gif2.gif

20110525gif3.gif

[ame=

]
[/ame]

[ame=

]
[/ame]

[ame=

]
[/ame]

[ame=

]
[/ame]

[ame=

]
[/ame]

30 MAY

The new album by the Pierces, You & I, which was produced by Guy Berryman, has been released. Here's the video for the song "Glorious" from the album:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

31 MAY

It was all followed with a single announcement:

Dear friends

We're about to play a bunch of summer festivals so it's as good a time as any to put out a new song.

'Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall' will be available digitally on Friday 3rd June at 12pm (BST), except in the UK where it'll come out on the stroke of midnight between Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th June.

We'll also stream it here on Friday and give it a run out at Rock Im Park.

Love Will

ETIAW release was the beginning of, at that point untitled, LP5 era.

etiaw800high.jpg

Two new photos from the photo shoot on the 23rd May were posted too:

newpic800spray.jpg

newphoto2820.jpg

Later that day Coldplay played a secret gig for friends and family at the Forum in Kentish Town, London.

Roadie #42 has written a blog entry about the gig on the 1st June:

Back in 2002, I did my first ever day’s work for a band called Coldplay. They were doing Production Rehearsals at The Forum in Kentish town. For those who have never been there, The Forum is a theatre sized rock venue, with a stage almost exactly the same size as the one in the Christmas Lights video. It also happens to be right next door to the Bull & Gate pub, where on their fourth ever show, Coldplay met up with a young sound-man called Dan Green who has been with them ever since. Dan has recently been co-producing their new album...

The Coldplay I met in 2002 were getting ready to do a run of festivals, including their first shot at headlining Glastonbury. They had a bunch of new songs, but nobody had heard them yet. They were nervous and excited. They were about to emerge from the studio and see whether the world shared their enthusiasm for this music they’d worked so hard on.

My role during those first days carried so little responsibility that I spent those four days of rehearsals almost entirely in the pub. Indeed the first time I met the band was when they were about to go onstage for their final run through before heading out on tour.

I nipped in the back door of the venue and into the tiny corridor that leads up onto the stage. I was hoping to sneak in unnoticed, as though I’d been there all day. When I opened the stage door, I bumped into the four friends in a team huddle before hitting that stage for one last run through before the festivals.

Today, almost ten years later and after weeks of rehearsal, we moved all the band’s gear once again into The Forum in Kentish Town, to do exactly the same again. One last run through before hitting the festivals. Today there was an invited audience of “Family and Friends” to give just enough pressure to make it real.

My role has changed greatly, to the point where the chances of getting a pint in amidst the chaos are now slim to none. The band have changed a great deal too - stronger, more experienced and confident, but still the same four (well, five) fellas.

But here they are again, standing in that very same little corridor, emerging from the studio and onto the live stage. About to start a new adventure. Nervous, excited and hoping that the world shares their enthusiasm for what they’ve created.

http://vimeo.com/24492579

I reckon they’ll be just fine…

R#42

Merry Christmas! :santa:

• 2 weeks later...