✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Aus Promoter: Coldplay Will Tour Australia In 2012

busybeeburns

I think it's probably more likely you'll need to start saving for interstate, unfortunately. If they were going to head to Perth, I feel like they'd have announced it with this first lot of shows. That's not to say there isn't the possibility of demand/outcry becoming so great that good old WA ends up being added to their itinerary. I'd say the chance is pretty small, though. I wish they were heading over there; I was looking forward to visiting Perth.

I'm so torn on the whole stadium thing -- on the one hand, I love that I can say Coldplay are hitting them up over here in Australia, but I love the intimacy and size of venues like Rod Laver Arena. And I've had experience with the arenas -- which tickets to go for, what the view will be like from where, when to line up, where to line up, etc. I'm going to stress the hell out with the stadiums.

Also, it's seemingly meant less shows with these larger venues; I was all ready to fork out for at least 11 different shows over Australia/New Zealand, and this first announcement has only reached four. I'm certain we'll be getting a few more dates, but still -- it's going to be over so quickly.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, i was looking forward to smaller concerts and going to at least 2 sydney shows but oh well, i guess a stadium tour is ok too.

I don't know if they'll announce another sydney date considering the capacity of Allianz Stadium is around 40000-45000. So they'd have to be pretty sure that they'd fill up the second date to announce one. Unfortunate for Perth as well. I live in Sydney but i was planning to go to a Perth concert while also visiting family there :\ oh well, can't be that disappointed, at least i et to see them in Sydney so i'm so excited!!!! So nervous for tickets though because i've never bought tickets for a concert before.

Yeah, the stadiums are massive. I think they can sell them out, though, or at least get extraordinarily close. I'm really hoping we get at least one more date for both Melbourne and Sydney -- their travel itinerary certainly allows for it. Another New Zealand date would be great, too. I just want them to do as many shows as possible! :P

For me, I think ticket buying is literally the most horrible part of the entire experience. Especially when it's someone you really, really, really want to see. I get so nervous and tetchy, I barely know what to do with myself until either that confirmation email is sitting in my inbox or I have the printed tickets in my hand. I stress for days beforehand trying to decide if I should purchase online or just head in to the actual ticketing outlet and go from there. I find it such a stressful process. I'm not looking forward to that, at all. :stunned:

^agreed

Do you know what the deal is with pre-sale ticketing? it says that pre-sale ticketing is not a preferential seating service....does that mean that they just randomly pick a ticket even though i may be one of the first people to buy tickets?

If i chose to purchase them when they go on sale to the public would i be able to pick seats in a certain section?

Like the general sale, seats are automatically allocated for you. How it works is that you'll signify the amount of tickets you wish to purchase and then you'll hit something like "Find Tickets" and selected for you will be the "next best available". In a sense it is first in, best dressed; it just comes down to which tickets are still on offer.

Not sure how well-versed you are with pre-sales, but just as general information: only a relatively small percentage of tickets are offered, so once they've been exhausted or the sale has ended, it's back to waiting for the general sale. And the pre-sale doesn't mean you'll be getting the offer of all the best seats first -- it's still a random selection of tickets. It's more about being given the opportunity to purchase tickets sooner, and hopefully, with less people to contend with (given it's narrowed down to Visa customers only).

:)

Didn't U2 have 2 stadium shows each in Bris, Syd, Melb and Perth last time they were here? And that was with the whole '360' stage area allowing more space for the audience. You'd think Coldplay are popular enough for two shows in Bris, Syd, Melb at least?

You know, if I recall correctly, I think U2 may have even done three Melbourne shows. I definitely think Coldplay has enough of a following to call for at least two shows in Melbourne and Sydney. And I can't see why Brisbane wouldn't be the same. I am really, really pulling for more shows.

I think it's probably more likely you'll need to start saving for interstate, unfortunately. If they were going to head to Perth, I feel like they'd have announced it with this first lot of shows. That's not to say there isn't the possibility of demand/outcry becoming so great that good old WA ends up being added to their itinerary. I'd say the chance is pretty small, though. I wish they were heading over there; I was looking forward to visiting Perth.

I'm so torn on the whole stadium thing -- on the one hand, I love that I can say Coldplay are hitting them up over here in Australia, but I love the intimacy and size of venues like Rod Laver Arena. And I've had experience with the arenas -- which tickets to go for, what the view will be like from where, when to line up, where to line up, etc. I'm going to stress the hell out with the stadiums.

Also, it's seemingly meant less shows with these larger venues; I was all ready to fork out for at least 11 different shows over Australia/New Zealand, and this first announcement has only reached four. I'm certain we'll be getting a few more dates, but still -- it's going to be over so quickly.

Agreed, I doubt they'll suddenly decide to include a Perth show, quite disappointed though to be honest. Fair to say they're like the 'Peoples Band' and to see them leave out Perth for the first time let alone Adelaide for the third (?) time seems like it's more about the money and not the people now which is a shame. Of course it may not be their fault but you know if Foo Fighters can do a whole Australian Tour and U2 can bring over their claw/360 tour you would think Coldplay could, you know?

Also agree on the arenas as oppose to the stadiums, but it was always going to be the natural progression. On the bright side for you guys though, you'll probably get fireworks and such for your shows!

Yeah, I'm surprised Perth and Adelaide haven't been included. I know that Adelaide is frequently left off the tour schedule, but given the amount of shows they played the last time they were out here, I thought for sure they'd hit five of the six states. I suppose I can't really complain when they're coming to my hometown and I know I'll be seeing them either way, though. I just want to extend the experience for as long as possible.

And yeah, it was always going to be the next step. It's going to be absolutely incredible either way, I know that. And with a huge crowd like that, the Xyolobands are going to look insane.

Are you heading to the Melbourne show, Cobalt? Or is your attendance banking on the prices? Think you're spot-on with the nosebleed price, but it wouldn't surprise me if GA was $99.00, also.

(SN: I seriously don't understand why dates and venues are announced, but prices and seating charts we still have to wait for. Irks the crap out of me).

Runway too short for band

Dunedin airport's limitations could be another stumbling block to the city hosting top international music acts, it appears.

It was revealed yesterday Coldplay had considered playing the Forsyth Barr Stadium in Dunedin, but ruled it out for logistical reasons.

The megaband from Britain is touring stadiums with its Mylo Xyloto tour and yesterday announced four dates in Australia and New Zealand, including one show in New Zealand at Mt Smart Stadium in Auckland on November 10.

Asked yesterday if stadium representatives had tried to persuade Coldplay to play in Dunedin, Dunedin Venues Management chief executive David Davies said he had been "actively involved" with Coldplay's promoter over bringing the show to Dunedin, but after the promoter did some research, they decided to stick with just an Auckland show because of logistical issues.

Those were that the band's wide-bodied jet, which they used to transport their lighting rig, would be unable to fly fully laden out of Dunedin International Airport.

A representative of Coldplay's Australasian promoter, Chugg Entertainment, could not be reached for comment yesterday, and Coldplay's New Zealand publicist referred questions to Chugg.

But Dunedin International Airport chief executive John McCall said while he did not know what kind of jet Coldplay used, there were limitations at Dunedin because of the airport's runway.

A fully laden Boeing 747, for example, could not take off from Dunedin because the runway was too short.

In fact, the same was true of most New Zealand airports, apart from Auckland and Christchurch, Mr McCall said.

Top international acts reported to use Boeing 747s for transporting equipment include U2, Lady Gaga and Madonna.

Mr Davies said Dunedin would not get every show that came to New Zealand, but stadium acts always presented an opportunity which would be pursued.

Coldplay lead singer Chris Martin stayed in Dunedin in 2003 while his then soon-to-be wife Gwyneth Paltrow was filming the biopic Sylvia.

link

Agreed, I doubt they'll suddenly decide to include a Perth show, quite disappointed though to be honest. Fair to say they're like the 'Peoples Band' and to see them leave out Perth for the first time let alone Adelaide for the third (?) time seems like it's more about the money and not the people now which is a shame. Of course it may not be their fault but you know if Foo Fighters can do a whole Australian Tour and U2 can bring over their claw/360 tour you would think Coldplay could, you know?

Also agree on the arenas as oppose to the stadiums, but it was always going to be the natural progression. On the bright side for you guys though, you'll probably get fireworks and such for your shows!

I'm sure it's more to do with mundane logistical things, as opposed to not "wanting" to play more places. They have a history of playing more places than a lot of international acts, and they are playing fewer dates everywhere this tour. To be honest, I think it's probably more to do with the band (understandibly), not wanting to be on such a punishing schedule as the last two tours, now that they have families and stuff. They've all more or less said as much.

Talk of Dunedin Coldplay gig denied

It remains unclear whether a possible Coldplay concert in Dunedin was discussed between promoters and venue management.

Dunedin Venues Management Ltd (DVML) chief executive David Davies told the Otago Daily Times he was ‘‘actively involved'' with a Coldplay promoter in relation to the band performing at Dunedin.

But Chugg Entertainment, Coldplay's Ausralasian promoter, denied there was any such dialogue.

A Chugg spokeswoman, who asked not to be named, yesterday told the ODT the company had never been involved in any discussion about Coldplay performing in Dunedin.

Chugg had no comment to make in respect of whether Dunedin's airport had limited capacity to accommodate international bands or their equipment.

At a Dunedin City Council meeting yesterday, Mr Davies told councillors that Dunedin had been close to getting a Coldplay concert.

He said Coldplay considered playing in Dunedin and that the issue with the band was it would be able to fly in, but not fly out of the city because the airport runway was too short for its fully-laden plane to take off.

Mr Davies also said the band needed to be in Sydney the following day to set up for a concert there, so it could not consider landing at Christchurch and transporting gear by road.

He said ‘‘we were pretty close to getting Coldplay'', and the reason Dunedin was ‘‘in the mix'' for Coldplay was because the promoter had come to the Elton John concert at the stadium to check it out.

When contacted after yesterday's council meeting, Mr Davies said his only comment on the issue was he had no desire to put ‘‘that relationship'' [between DVML and Chugg] at risk.

link

I honestly couldn't be bothered with Coldplay anymore.

This latest tour has only cemented my opinion of them, they've become more and more inaccesible over the years and their music has become more and more commericial. I flew to Melbourne from Adelaide for Viva, but I just can't bring myself to do the same this time. Not for a cold fish stadium show, the audience interaction they once had is gone forever.

I've followed Coldplay since the Blue Room, so I say all this with a heavy heart, but they're just not my band anymore, they've become something else, something I don't really like.

I thought they had a great album in them, but I can see now they've delved too far into superstardom for that to ever happen. There's too much money invested for them to ever have true artistic freedom, and more to the point I think they've stopped wanting to make that one truely great piece of musical art, opting rather for Grammies, charting singles and bigger than Ben Hur audiences. They've become an industry, they've become the Rihanna of Bands.

I honestly couldn't be bothered with Coldplay anymore.

This latest tour has only cemented my opinion of them, they've become more and more inaccesible over the years and their music has become more and more commericial. I flew to Melbourne from Adelaide for Viva, but I just can't bring myself to do the same this time. Not for a cold fish stadium show, the audience interaction they once had is gone forever.

I've followed Coldplay since the Blue Room, so I say all this with a heavy heart, but they're just not my band anymore, they've become something else, something I don't really like.

I thought they had a great album in them, but I can see now they've delved too far into superstardom for that to ever happen. There's too much money invested for them to ever have true artistic freedom, and more to the point I think they've stopped wanting to make that one truely great piece of musical art, opting rather for Grammies, charting singles and bigger than Ben Hur audiences. They've become an industry, they've become the Rihanna of Bands.

While I can understand your sentiment, the truth is that ALL proffessional bands are an industry, even if some don't admit it.

Devastated. First time they've missed out on Perth :( and by the looks of the announcement on their Facebook page other fellow Perth fans aren't too impressed either. Would anyone think a Perth date could ever be added (whether it be through petition, FB group, whatever) or should i just hope and start saving for possibly going interstate?

Hey man, let's make this happen! I've been spreading this around on facebook and on forums, spread it yourself as well!

Adelaide/Perth fans, I've made a petition! It worked last time in 2005, initially they weren't coming, then through a petition dates were announced! Let's do it again this year, band together people! Here it is: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/bring-coldplay-to-perthadelaide-this-2012/

Please everyone sign, the more the better for us Aussie fans! :)

Hey man, let's make this happen! I've been spreading this around on facebook and on forums, spread it yourself as well!

Adelaide/Perth fans, I've made a petition! It worked last time in 2005, initially they weren't coming, then through a petition dates were announced! Let's do it again this year, band together people! Here it is: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/bring-coldplay-to-perthadelaide-this-2012/

Please everyone sign, the more the better for us Aussie fans! :)

Just thowing it out there, but are you sure the venue is free during that time? That's a common reason tour stops get left out (and can be easily checked by anyone), and if that's the case it's going to be hard to succeed. Otherwise (given what happened with Twisted Logic), I'd say you've at least got a shot. Good luck.:)

Just thowing it out there, but are you sure the venue is free during that time? That's a common reason tour stops get left out (and can be easily checked by anyone), and if that's the case it's going to be hard to succeed. Otherwise (given what happened with Twisted Logic), I'd say you've at least got a shot. Good luck.:)

It's really hard to know yet, Chugg entertainment aren't communicating with Coldplayers at all, but for now it's worth a shot. The fact that this exact same thing happened with Twisted Logic in 2005 encourages me to believe its possible! Power of the people :)