✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I can't beleive it, Princess of China Flops in the US

ihaveabono

IMO Paradise is a lyrical masterpiece, just like sone fans will say the song AROBTTH is a lyrical masterpiece ( I still don't agree with that)

If you watch the Shynola version of Paradise, the lyrics make sense

( If you haven't seen it go watch it : http://www.shynola.com/ )

Chris always says he wants fans to interpret the lyrics the way they want.... The way I see the song Paradise is a girl who is disillusioned of the world around her, it's not what she expected or wanted so she dreams of her own world.

I love the part of the song that says "Lying underneath those stormy skies, she said ohh I know the sun must set to rise". I think the girl realizes at the end that she has to get through some tough times to get to the good, there is some hope at the end.

I somehow manage to find some kind of meaning to all Coldplay songs...even POC and ETIAW

Anyway, I'm not going to sit here and write the "true meaning" of the lyrics of Paradise because I think that's something you should figure out on your own. And if you find no meaning to the lyrics and you think they are pointless, that's your opinion.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO Paradise is a lyrical masterpiece, just like sone fans will say the song AROBTTH is a lyrical masterpiece ( I still don't agree with that)

If you watch the Shynola version if Paradise, the lyrics make sense

Chris always says he wants fans to interpret the lyrics the way they want.... The way I see the song Paradise is a girl who is disillusioned of the world around her, it's not what she expected or wanted so she dreams of her own world.

I love the part of the song that says "Lying underneath those stormy skies, she said ohh I know the sun must set to rise". I think the girl realizes at the end that she has to get through some tough times to get to the good, there is some hope at the end.

Anyway, I'm not going to sit here and write the "true meaning" of the lyrics of Paradise because I think that's something you should figure out on your own. And if you find no meaning to the lyrics and you think they are pointless, that's your opinion.

see, the meaning of the lyrics are obvious. you are proving my point.

"When she was just a girl/ she expected the world/ but it flew away from her reach/ so she ran away in her sleep/ and dreamed of para, para, paradise"

you basically just para para paraphrased that verse. :D

"When she was just a girl/ she expected the world/ but it flew away from her reach/ so she ran away in her sleep/ and dreamed of para, para, paradise"

The good part of the song is in the second part.

"Life goes on, it get so heavy the wheel breaks the butterfly"

i just cant beleive it, POC flops in the US, it was just removed from the airplay list

:( :( :( this is a sad day cuz its one of my favorite tracks from mylo :(

There's no one single U.S. "airplay list", so I'm not sure what you're talking about. :\

Anyway it did better than many of their late campaign singles in the past, so while it wasn't exactly a success, I'm not sure it was a "flop". It wasn't even released to many of the formats where Coldplay have historically done well in the U.S.:dozey:

EDIT: To clear up some confusion here, while it hasn't been released as a commercial single, it was released for radio play in a few formats on 4/17. The highest format it's charted in so far is Pop at #20.

If you watch the Shynola version of Paradise, the lyrics make sense

I somehow manage to find some kind of meaning to all Coldplay songs...even POC and ETIAW

This is very well written. I still wouldn't consider it a masterpiece, but they are definitely well thought-out and very awesome when you put two-and-two together.

I think there is something very special with Paradise. Every time I hear it, I think back to the first time I heard it while doing homework. It gets a lot of shit, but Paradise is a really good song.

Thank you. :)

I defend Paradise on this forum because it gets so much undeserved hate. I like the song, a lot. My only criticism are the lyrics. They don't suck, which you may think that's what I meant when I said they were no masterpiece. The lyrics are ok, they do their job. All I am saying is that they are not great. They are very simple and blunt, not vey figurative or elaborate. I've said my piece.

I defend Paradise on this forum because it gets so much undeserved hate. I like the song, a lot. My only criticism are the lyrics. They don't suck, which you may think that's what I meant when I said they were no masterpiece. The lyrics are ok, they do their job. All I am saying is that they are not great. They are very simple and blunt, not vey figurative or elaborate. I've said my piece.

I definitely agree. The lyrics are very simple and blunt. They're not bad and they're not lazy, but they are very straight-forward while still retaining an element of subjectivity so that people can take different things away from the song.

I'm gonna buy a gun and start a war, if you can tell me something worth fighting for

Is better than the wheel breaks the butterfly.

Sorry, but it's true.

Viva La Vida lyrics are also pretty obvious to understand and for me are great, it doesn't really matter if it's "easy" or "hard" to get, but the ways things are presented. Viva and Paradise have storylines and are both accessible but Viva has much better rhymes and fine verses than the other. Paradise uses some really common expressions while Viva doesn't.

Examples of unintersting things on Para:

When she was just a girl, closed her eyes, life goes on, gets so heavy, para-para-paradise (loads of times)

Nice things on Viva:

Seas would rise when I gave the word, sweep the streets I used to own, feel the fear in my enemy's eyes, upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand...the list goes on

I love both songs, good melodies don't need great lyrics, but while Viva IS a masterpiece as a lyric, Paradise is just commom, not bad, and not good too

I'm gonna buy a gun and start a war, if you can tell me something worth fighting for

Is better than the wheel breaks the butterfly.

Sorry, but it's true.

The wheel breaks the butterfly is from a tern that means to put effort into achieving something.

Anyway, I like to actually understand what I'm listening to/singing along with so I am perfectly ok if the lyrics to paradise are "obvious".

I am entitled to think a sing is amazing am I not? Plus Paradise is what moved me to become more than just a casual fan, that song really moves me :)

I thought this was a POC thread, let's get back to the topic :)

The wheel breaks the butterfly is from a tern that means to put effort into achieving something.

Anyway, I like to actually understand what I'm listening to/singing along with so I am perfectly ok if the lyrics to paradise are "obvious".

I am entitled to think a sing is amazing am I not? Plus Paradise is what moved me to become more than just a casual fan, that song really moves me :)

I thought this was a POC thread, let's get back to the topic :)

It's actually a paraphrase of a famous editorial about the Jagger/Richards/Marianne Faithful Redlands drug bust in the mid 60's, which was itself derived from a poem by Alexander Pope. I'm sure Chris was probably aware of both the poem, and it's connection to rock history when he decided to use it.

I personally don't mind that one at all. Nor Paradise.

Just don't compare it to AROBTTH, alright? :P

I've showed my friends it, and they enjoyed it. I think with a little promoting, it'll do just fine here.

After all, everyone loves Rihanna, right? :rolleyes:

I wasn't comparing anything to AROBTTH

I am still waiting to hear POC on the radio.

Everytime I go to a store I think "Please play some Coldplay, at least play Princess of China", then it starts to play Rihanna's "We Found Love" and I think "sooo close"

I used to really love Rihanna, I thought she was great, then it all went downhill after that Chris Brown stuff. I still love her song "Umbrella".:heart:

• 3 weeks later...