✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I can't beleive it, Princess of China Flops in the US

ihaveabono

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay doesn't have any singles on Billboard Hot 100 now while it has 3 on the UK, that's bad, even Michel Teló's Ai Se Eu Te Pego is on Bilbboard Hot 100!!!!

US charts aren't like charts for everwhere else. They're broken down by format, with it being relatively hard to enter the Hot 100 (and even harder to place high). Given that MX's early singles have already gone through they're cycle of radio play, peaked, and are over with now, and the fact that CB and PoC weren't released as widely or in as many formats, it's not unusual at all. PoC did peak on the hot 100 at #20, which is fairly impressive given the parameters of it's release. PoC, wasn't released to Rock, Alternative, or Triple A formats, which all (especially triple A) have been strong formats for the Band. It did reach #24 on the Pop charts (and to my knowledge is still there somewhere.) Coldplay have never been as hot a singles band in North America as they have elsewhere (though worldwide their singles sucess is quite low for a band of their overall commercial achievement.)

The way I look at it, it really doesn't matter to me whether or not there's certain people out there who aren't appreciative enough of talent to get a certain CP song popular on the radio...I've got my records on*. Obviously, we all love Coldplay here, we know they're awesome, and if there's people out there who don't appreciate them, well, that's their loss. :) And Coldplay fans can listen to all the CP they want off their own MX album. At least I sure will be. :wacko:

*See my nerdy ETIAW reference? :wacky: :lol:

I would love for it to bomb, maybe it would say to them, "Hey, don't do that again!"

I think Charlie Brown will be like all the rest of the Coldplay songs on the radio. Great reception but then will drop off pretty quickly. Most people who listen to the radio aren't smart enough to like Coldplay. They'd rather hear a cheesy electronic beat where the person sounds like a computer trying to be cool.

Coldplay are not single focused anyways. They sell actual albums, that's what they do. Where their individual songs place on the charts are quite irrelevant to me.

Fair point, that's what I most like on them actually, they make albums, I do like when they go well on singles charts though :P

Fair point, that's what I most like on them actually, they make albums, I do like when they go well on singles charts though :P

I like their singles doing well too, because it means even the general public are enjoying something specific from them but overall I don't care if their songs chart or where they chart.

I would have liked to see POC chart at #1 in the States though, only because it would have easily done so. They just waited to long to officially give it radio ads/promo/music video.

• 2 weeks later...
I would love for it to bomb, maybe it would say to them, "Hey, don't do that again!"

I think Charlie Brown will be like all the rest of the Coldplay songs on the radio. Great reception but then will drop off pretty quickly. Most people who listen to the radio aren't smart enough to like Coldplay. They'd rather hear a cheesy electronic beat where the person sounds like a computer trying to be cool.

That's a pretty contridictory statement IMHO. On the one hand, you state that if PoC "flops", they shouldn't make similar music because it doesn't please mass numbers of people, and in the next paragraph, you say the strength of CB rests primarily in the fact that it doesn't have mass appeal.

Aside from the fact that making music for other people's tastes is (IMHO) a really dumb thing for any musician to do, you can't have it both ways. Presumably, Coldplay wrote, recorded and released PoC because they liked it, which is as it should be.

I like their singles doing well too, because it means even the general public are enjoying something specific from them but overall I don't care if their songs chart or where they chart.

I would have liked to see POC chart at #1 in the States though, only because it would have easily done so. They just waited to long to officially give it radio ads/promo/music video.

I don't think it ever had much of a chance at an overall #1, certainly never an "easy" chance.

Having a shit video didn't help. I think with a killer video, it would've gotten more attention.

I thought it would be the summer hit - guess I was wrong. Too bad, I like it.

The video was generally received much more favorably than the song itself FWIW.

What Coldplay songs really have been hits on the radio(in the US)? Yellow, Clocks, In My Place, Fix You, Speed of Sound, Viva la Vida. I might have heard Every Teardrop and Paradise 3-4 times each max.

I think what Mylo Xyloto is missing is that A level song. All the other albums had them. This one just has a bunch of B level songs at best.

What Coldplay songs really have been hits on the radio(in the US)? Yellow, Clocks, In My Place, Fix You, Speed of Sound, Viva la Vida. I might have heard Every Teardrop and Paradise 3-4 times each max.

I think what Mylo Xyloto is missing is that A level song. All the other albums had them. This one just has a bunch of B level songs at best.

Most of those weren't really true radio hits, at least as far as how the industry recognizes a hit single. Coldplay's only two true hit singles in North America were Speed of Sound and VLV. The current crop of singles is fairly in line with what most of their singles have done.