✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[5-May-2012] Coldplay @ KROQ Weenie Roast, Irvine, CA, USA

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's only three things to say about last night

1 - what a lame crowd

3- the camaramen..OH please!!!..they could have been better!!

2- Coldplay, in spite of the situation ie lame crowd and camaramen, gave their best as always!! it was awesome!

Coldplay and KROQ have a special relationship that goes back to 2000, when they played their first gig for KROQ at Almost Acoustic Christmas. KROQ is the LA radio station that gave Coldplay their big break into getting in the LA radio market. They have done many many shows affiliated with KROQ, and I think they will go out of their way for KROQ when they can. The Weenie Roast is traditionally held in June, but was changed this year to accommodate Coldplay's schedule.

BINGO.

Most of you are right in that Coldplay likely wouldn't play just any summer mini-fest in the U.S. But KROQ is highly influential across the whole country, and they were one of the first stations to give Coldplay national exposure after Parachutes, giving them an instant break so they wouldn't flounder in the American market for years like many of their British counterparts. So the band knows they're indebted to KROQ, hence why they played Weenie Roast just for fun.

Anyway, didn't see this posted here, but Dom Anderson - tour manager for Muse and Incubus - tweeted this last night while he was snooping backstage:

AsKe7nLCQAE53pD.jpg:large

BINGO.

Most of you are right in that Coldplay likely wouldn't play just any summer mini-fest in the U.S. But KROQ is highly influential across the whole country, and they were one of the first stations to give Coldplay national exposure after Parachutes, giving them an instant break so they wouldn't flounder in the American market for years like many of their British counterparts. So the band knows they're indebted to KROQ, hence why they played Weenie Roast just for fun.

Anyway, didn't see this posted here, but Dom Anderson - tour manager for Muse and Incubus - tweeted this last night while he was snooping backstage:

AsKe7nLCQAE53pD.jpg:large

Did you take this?

Oh, N/M. Missed your last line of text,lol.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m5DNpR68N0]Coldplay - Live at KROQ Weenie Roast 2012 [Part 1/5] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqxKkyFb8BQ]Coldplay - Live at KROQ Weenie Roast 2012 [Part 2/5] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCYpSii8jjo]Coldplay - Live at KROQ Weenie Roast 2012 [Part 3/5] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeWAJ2DthXM]Coldplay - Live at KROQ Weenie Roast 2012 [Part 4/5] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sY4damu8MI]Coldplay - Live at KROQ Weenie Roast 2012 [Part 5/5] - YouTube[/ame]

Here's the video I took of Violet Hill, was so happy to be in the position of finally getting this song on video. Also I didn't notice Chris stumbled towards the end until I watched this video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpUP8tlXxjk]Coldplay "Violet Hill" KROQ Weenie Roast - YouTube[/ame]

A few pictures... I took a lot less then I usually do:

DSCN0436.jpg

DSCN0438.jpg

DSCN0440.jpg

DSCN0441.jpg

DSCN0442.jpg

DSCN0444.jpg

DSCN0446.jpg

DSCN0453.jpg

DSCN0455.jpg

KROQ Weenie Roast y Fiesta a Day of Mixed Emotions

Coldplay, Angels and Airwaves lead Adam Yauch tributes at day-long concert

L.A. radio station KROQ's Weenie Roast y Fiesta should have been an unabashed celebration. The 20th anniversary of the annual summertime concert took place on Cinco de Mayo and was headlined by Coldplay, who were putting the finishing touch on a week of three triumphant sold-out shows at the Hollywood Bowl. In addition, it featured several longtime KROQ favorites like Incubus and Pennywise, as well as old friends Garbage, Silversun Pickups and the Offspring, all with new music on the horizon. The second stage featured up-and-comers such as AWOL Nation, Of Monsters and Men and Grouplove.

But even with surprise guests Soundgarden adding to the festivities, there was a pall over the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater that wasn't hard to figure out. The death of the Beastie Boys' Adam Yauch just the day before was on the minds of many. The Beasties were veterans themselves of the Weenie Roast and KROQ had spent much of Friday paying tribute to the late Yauch with remembrances and long sets of Beasties music.

Several acts on the bill picked up those tributes. Coldplay, who debuted their piano rendition of the Beastie Boys' "(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party)," at the Bowl on Friday night, also included it in their hour-plus closing set.

"We’re gonna have a moment for them because I also aspired to be in a band and have a lot of fun like they did," said Angels and Airwaves' Tom DeLonge, while Grouplove dedicated "Slow" to Yauch. The Dirty Heads dedicated their whole set to Yauch, and Dustin Bushnell (Duddy B) sported a Beastie Boys Check Your Head t-shirt.

Even those who didn't make their thoughts of Yauch public were clearly thinking of him. "When I heard he died, it broke my heart because he was definitely a voice for my generation," AWOLNATION's Aaron Bruno told Rolling Stone. "I’ve been asked a lot, if you could be in any band who would it be? And I’ve answered Beastie Boys a couple of times because they got away with murder. They were a white hip-hop group that were respected by all different colors and all different genres. They were a punk rock band first, which I can identify with. And then they were one of the most successful hip-hop groups of all time while keeping their integrity somehow."

Proving Bruno's point about the group's wide-reaching influence, Arnar Rosenkranz Hilmarsson from Of Monsters and Men was also a huge Beasties' fan growing up in Iceland. "I was very said to hear the news," he told us. "When I heard 'Intergalactic' for the first time, I was in my sister’s room and I just started dancing. It was awesome, probably my favorite song by the Beastie Boys."

Despite the sadness evident in the building, there were still nearly 20,000 fans on hand ready to celebrate, and in between paying their respects they enjoyed several highlights. Starting early in the day, where fans withstood the sun to check out the second stage, Of Monsters and Men's crowd was positively buoyant, while Grouplove got the audience singing along energetically to "Tongue Tied" and their cover of Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance With Somebody." When Bruno challenged the throng to see who would be the first to crowd surf, several answered the call in the midst of the pogoing fans.

Garbage kicked off the main stage with a superb set that included a cover of Patti Smith's "Because the Night" and wrapped up with their haunting, slowed-down version of "Only Happy When It Rains." Among the other high points were Soundgarden, who came out to a heroes' greeting as the unannounced special guest and played several hits, along with "Live To Rise" from the Avengers soundtrack; Incubus, always L.A. faves; and Silversun Pickups' set, which was heavy on the new material off Neck of the Woods.

The unquestioned crowd favorite of the night was Coldplay, who'd already made L.A. theirs this week, with fans and critics alike extolling their three sold-out Bowl shows, praising their showmanship and energy. Coldplay brought both qualities to Verizon, as well as the confetti, neon lights and hits like "Scientist," "Viva la Vida" and the sing-along anthem "Fix You."

And they captured what everyone was thinking when, during their rendition of "Fight For Your Right," Coldplay stopped at the line "Mom, you're just jealous, it's the Beastie Boys," and let the crowd sing "Beastie Boys" multiple times.

It was a fitting moment. The night may have belonged to Coldplay musically, but the Beastie Boys were never very far from anyone's thoughts.

link

Live review: KROQ's Weenie Roast y Fiesta

6a00d8341c630a53ef0168eb3f9edb970c-600wi

What exactly does a rock band need -- and in what quantity -- to distinguish itself in today's exuberantly eclectic pop landscape?

Along with branded beach balls and remembrances of Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys, that question seemed to fill the air Saturday at Irvine's Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, where KROQ-FM (106.7) presented its annual Weenie Roast y Fiesta. The daylong concert -- headlined by Coldplay, with performances by Incubus, the Offspring and an unannounced Soundgarden, among others -- offered several successful takes on defining a pop aesthetic, but little consensus on the matter.

Still, the Weenie Roast's variety suggested something more promising: that in "a Black Eyed Peas world," as one KROQ DJ put it, rockers are thinking hard about how to specialize their music. A big crowd response, when it occurred, seemed almost secondary to the effort involved.

The sole international act on a main stage dominated by Southern Californians, Coldplay matched that geographical distinction with a show far more elaborate than any other band's. Last week, the English group played a sold-out three-night stand at the Hollywood Bowl, and to Irvine it brought a slightly pared version of that high-tech production, complete with lasers, pyrotechnics and heart-shaped confetti. And that was all during the first two songs.

Cutting-edge though they may have been, Coldplay's theatrics amounted to old-fashioned showbiz razzmatazz, a physical embodiment of the widescreen sentiment in the band's material.

"You use your heart as a weapon, and it hurts like heaven," frontman Chris Martin sang in "Hurts Like Heaven" from last year's "Mylo Xyloto"; other songs pondered faith, war and the power of music itself over arrangements that embellished rock guitars with sampled strings and rave-style synths.

Martin and his bandmates knew Weenie Roast's pumped-up audience differed somewhat from their own, so they skipped a handful of folky numbers and "Princess of China," an R&B-accented collaboration with Rihanna. But Coldplay didn't disavow its essential tenderness: Near the end of the band's hourlong set, Martin paid tribute to Yauch, who died Friday, with a hushed piano-ballad rendition of the Beastie Boys' "(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party)."

Incubus was similarly expansive, delivering philosophical hard-rock songs whose dense, multipartite structures kept revealing fresh details: a funk-derived bass line, for instance, or harsh electronic squiggles by the band's DJ, Chris Kilmore. Yet singer Brandon Boyd's spiritual-dude vibe almost reached the level of self-parody, as when he tied his long hair in a bun and picked up a pair of mallets for an aimless drum solo.

Tom DeLonge of Blink-182 faced the same threat with his histrionic emo-punk project, Angels & Airwaves. And though Silversun Pickups exuded an appealingly low-key attitude, the group's music seemed overwhelmed by Brian Aubert's neo-shoegaze guitar.

Two veterans of West Coast punk -- Pennywise and the Offspring -- fared better with a less-is-more approach, blazing through speedy, tightly constructed songs about phony authority and suburban ennui. "You want a slow one?" Pennywise guitarist Fletcher Dragge asked at one point. Then he answered himself in a fashion that can't be quoted here before offering a breakneck take on "Fight for Your Right," one tougher but no less affectionate than Coldplay's.

As Weenie Roast's surprise guests, Soundgarden had perhaps the evening's easiest job: Simply showing up onstage Saturday was enough to warrant huge cheers. Yet these reunited grunge survivors played with a lumbering intensity that demonstrated the continued usefulness of rock's component parts.

In "Spoonman," guitarist Kim Thayil and bassist Ben Shepherd intertwined menacing lead lines, while drummer Matt Cameron drove "Jesus Christ Pose" with a muscular precision. And singer Chris Cornell flexed his still-impressive yowl throughout the band's set, most memorably in "Slaves & Bulldozers," in which he incorporated a few lines from "In My Time of Dying," the gospel traditional once covered by Soundgarden's forebears in Led Zeppelin.

Like a negative image of Coldplay's Day-Glo pop, Soundgarden's heavy, blues-based semi-metal had a solid sense of itself and its strength. It didn't do anything more than it needed to, and that was plenty.

link

A blast of confetti punctuates a triumphant pose by Chris Martin of Coldplay.

Hurts Like Heaven/In My Place

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=etpvdR_DDng[/ame]

In My Place

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U39rQ7zxlA[/ame]

Viva La Vida

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch4lvIqPE3k[/ame]

The interview with Chris and Will is at the bottom of this page, but I couldn't rip it, so if someone could be kind enough to succeed where I failed, or maybe record it for everybody that would be wonderful.

Chris' trousers are...well I suspect they're not his own.

Here's the video I took of Violet Hill, was so happy to be in the position of finally getting this song on video. Also I didn't notice Chris stumbled towards the end until I watched this video:

A few pictures... I took a lot less then I usually do:

DSCN0444.jpg

I love the balloon picture :)

this[/url] page, but I couldn't rip it, so if someone could be kind enough to succeed where I failed, or maybe record it for everybody that would be wonderful.

Chris' trousers are...well I suspect they're not his own.

Cool interview! The interviewer seems very nice :wacko: