🪐 MY UNIVERSE | COLDPLAY X BTS | OUT SEPTEMBER 14TH 🛰

[5-May-2012] Coldplay @ KROQ Weenie Roast, Irvine, CA, USA

this[/url] page, but I couldn't rip it, so if someone could be kind enough to succeed where I failed, or maybe record it for everybody that would be wonderful.

Chris' trousers are...well I suspect they're not his own.

Cool interview! The interviewer seems very nice :wacko:

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool interview! The interviewer seems very nice :wacko:

I listen to her on the air. I like her. Much nicer than Kevin and Bean. I was seated a few rows back from the Kevin and Bean team, and I was so tempted to go tell them that I'm still mad at Bean for dissing me in front of the boys at the Breakfast thingie last October. But I didn't...maybe I should have, he kept walking up and down the aisle and I had an aisle seat.

I listen to her on the air. I like her. Much nicer than Kevin and Bean. I was seated a few rows back from the Kevin and Bean team, and I was so tempted to go tell them that I'm still mad at Bean for dissing me in front of the boys at the Breakfast thingie last October. But I didn't...maybe I should have, he kept walking up and down the aisle and I had an aisle seat.

Well...Damn-It.... You should have stuck your leg out if you had an aisle seat:rolleyes: :P

What did he say to you at the breakfast show?

What did he say to you at the breakfast show?

It was a tiny studio show with about 75 people, a week before MX was released. It was webcast, too. I was standing right in front of Guy and next to the morning dj's. They played Charlie Brown and I was dancing and singing along. A few minutes later, when the djs were asking the band about file sharing etc, Bean said to Chris "this lady here knew all the words to Charlie Brown and it hasn't been released yet. Don't tell me you haven't downloaded it?" Chris was just staring at me so I croaked out that I'd been to a lot of the live shows. Chris gave me a smile and kind of laughed and looked at the dj's and said "back at you.". They said so you've learned the songs from going to live shows? I nodded and they moved on. But it was mortifying to be accused if illegally downloading and put on the spot like that!

The problem with KROQ's mini-fests is that a lot of the audience are here to only see 2 or 3 of the bands playing, so you get a lot of quietness during pretty much every non-headline set. Which I think is kind of a shame, since everyone arriving late is not only robbing themselves of seeing some great bands, but is pretty much wasting their money since they PAID to see the full lineup whether they like it or not.

Even though the venue's curfew is 11pm, I'm gonna predict Coldplay goes til 10:30 or maybe a bit later. I've never seen any headliner at KROQ events play more than an hour.

Oh, for everyone who's awake right now (i.e. not living in Europe and sleeping), be sure to watch Silversun Pickups on the webcast in a few minutes. They're awesome.

That's the reason I don't really like festivals. The saving grace with most of them though ist that there are usually multiple stages so the odds are better that there will be at least 1 band on that you kind of like.

That's the reason I don't really like festivals. The saving grace with most of them though ist that there are usually multiple stages so the odds are better that there will be at least 1 band on that you kind of like.

Weenie Roast is held at Verizon Wireless amphitheater. One main stage and one small stage on the concourse. The smaller bands played on the small stage between 1 and 3. The bigger bands played on the main stage starting at 4. Assigned seating too, except for the lawn area at the very top of the amphitheater.

BINGO.

Most of you are right in that Coldplay likely wouldn't play just any summer mini-fest in the U.S. But KROQ is highly influential across the whole country, and they were one of the first stations to give Coldplay national exposure after Parachutes, giving them an instant break so they wouldn't flounder in the American market for years like many of their British counterparts. So the band knows they're indebted to KROQ, hence why they played Weenie Roast just for fun.

Anyway, didn't see this posted here, but Dom Anderson - tour manager for Muse and Incubus - tweeted this last night while he was snooping backstage:

AsKe7nLCQAE53pD.jpg:large

To be fair, they're actual break in the U.S. market was probably ABC (or was it NBC-I can't remember), using Yellow in a series of high profile network promos, but your point is well taken. Incidently, Muse, the only other UK band to significantly break into the US market in the last ten years is also heavily beholden to KROQ.

• 4 weeks later...