✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

hey who else hates zooey deschanel other than dee, emily and me?

Destrokk

No, it reflects the critics' ratings of the shows - with a couple exceptions. For example, critics have been absolutely hammering Family Guy, Glee, and The Office this year. Only my sentimental bond (and Ellie Kemper :heart:) to The Office is preventing me from putting the show in Tier 5 (it's been absolutely dreadful this season).

Now it's true that humor is subjective and you may not find the shows ranked in Tier 1 funny at all. I guess it's more accurate to say the shows in the top tiers are what you might call a "critic's show" aka TV snobbery. :P

The only way critics can become well known these days is if they slag something very popular off and make all the people RAGE. So I don't always trust what the critics say 100% of the time and I watch the show to make decisions on it. I guess if you want to actually compile a list of "tiers" you're going to have to find the TV ratings.

I remember Pitchfork reveiwing MX as coldplays best album yet. :confused: I'm not sure if that reflects the popular opinion, but I would say not.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are missing out on one of the best TV comedies right now. The first couple of episodes were average as it focused on the 'adorkability' of Zooey Deschanel's character. The writers wisely stepped away from that for the subsequent episodes and it has surprisingly matured into a very funny show. Schmidt has emerged as the show's breakout character.

Because I love making lists, here's roughly the hierarchy of TV sitcoms right now:

Tier 1 (amazing): Archer, Community, Louie, Parks and Recreation

Tier 2 (good): 30 Rock, Cougar Town, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Happy Endings, New Girl

Tier 3 (average): How I Met Your Mother, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Modern Family, South Park

Tier 4 (below average): The Big Bang Theory, The Office, Portlandia, The Simpsons, Up All Night

Tier 5 (mediocre): American Dad, Family Guy, Glee

And shows below Tier 5 are ones you should avoid at all costs - I'm talking about 2 Broke Girls, Two and a Half Men, Whitney, etc.

Parrotdies, you're way too obsessed with critiquing things with way too much finality.

I don't think you realise how pointless it is. You may as well just write any random TV shows and place them in any random "tier" and it would mean the same thing.

Besides, those tier names are so boring! How about these for a different option...

Tier 1 (amazing): Tier **Miraculous**! It's astounding how these shows now grace our television screens!

Tier 2 (good): Tier Dayumn Fine. These shows are dayumn fine for some laughs.

Tier 3 (average): Tier Apathetic. Nothing special here...

Tier 4 (below average): Tier Cringeworthington. Named after Sir Cringeworthington, whom was well known for his paltry jokes. It was rumoured in his later years he often carried with him a recording device with a laugh track on it, to help the nerves he had developed over life about being unfunny.

Tier 5 (mediocre): Tier Feces. These shows are just total poop and should be avoided, along with their stench, at all costs. Unless you like poop jokes... /elitist.

These are much more fabulous. Hey, maybe others can add their suggestions!

Parrotdies, you're way too obsessed with critiquing things with way too much finality.

I don't think you realise how pointless it is. You may as well just write any random TV shows and place them in any random "tier" and it would mean the same thing.

Pointless as all the critics' Top 10 lists at the end of the year? Sure, I'll give you that.

But like I said, I love making these lists :)

They're easy, they're fun, and they generate a lot of debate/conversation. It also gives people a way to try out new things: someone might watch an episode of Community (the show desperately needs the ratings!) because they saw it's a show critics love and want to see what the fuss is all about.

Then mission accomplished! That's why I certainly don't agree with people who argue that reviews + rankings should be disregarded completely. There's plenty of art + films + music that I discovered only because they were recommended to me.

Also, I do want to note that these "rankings" aren't completely arbitrary; the shows ranked in the top do reflect the more critically acclaimed shows and the shows in the bottom are critically panned. Now whether you like all the shows at the top is a different story - it's entirely possible that all your favorite programmes are from what I designated Tier 5.

Anyway, disagree all you want with my rankings; I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it.

But you're certainly talking about them aren't you? ;)

It also gives people a way to try out new things: someone might watch an episode of Community (the show desperately needs the ratings!)

oh

oH

OH MY GOD

I HAVE THE STRANGE URGE TO TURN ON MY TV

AND LOOK UP THE SHOWTIMES FOR SOMETHING I HAVE NO TIME FOR

OHHHHH GOD

OH

OH

IT'S LIKE I'VE BEEN POSSESSED

AAAAhhghh

oh

oH

OH MY GOD

I HAVE THE STRANGE URGE TO TURN ON MY TV

AND LOOK UP THE SHOWTIMES FOR SOMETHING I HAVE NO TIME FOR

OHHHHH GOD

OH

OH

IT'S LIKE I'VE BEEN POSSESSED

AAAAhhghh

Aren't you like 12? What else would you be doing besides talking to strangers on the internet and then complaining when they don't include you in all their games.

Aren't you like 12? What else would you be doing besides talking to strangers on the internet and then complaining when they don't include you in all their games.

I don't understand why you're mocking my age, because age doesn't really correlate with intelligence, unless I was like 2 years old

but if it makes you feel better about yourself...

Ok

the next one is a jab at how teenagers are immature and give their personal information to strangers on the internet

Which is incredibly true, I wasn't taught better than that or know common sense or anything...

and the last one is obviously wrong, and you'd know if you read the thread

You're being defensive about your list and how "easy and fun" they are it's rather funny

Pointless as all the critics' Top 10 lists at the end of the year? Sure, I'll give you that.

No, more pointless. When someone like Roger Ebert or whoever the TV equivalent is makes a list - he is writing to a huge audience and has the ability to influence the medium in fairly large ways. I still think the interest behind what "critics" think is totally meaningless and the people who care are strange to me - but there actually is a point when professional "critics" working for a newspaper or a magazine write their lists because they have been acknowledged as an influence in the medium.

But like I said, I love making these lists :)

More power to you then. You've pretty much negated everything I said because the fact is you enjoy doing it and you aren't harming anyone by doing so. So yeah, carry on.

Was only goofing off :P I think I accidentally made Destrokk go into a bit of a panic though... D:

Aww yeah I'm sorry, I heard you got some VMs about it or something, that's too much hahaha

I'm a grammar/spelling Nazi, but I'm fine with people who speak English as their second language so that's why it looked like I kinda snapped at you

Because I love making lists, here's roughly the hierarchy of TV sitcoms right now:

Tier 1 (amazing): Archer, Community, Louie, Parks and Recreation

Tier 2 (good): 30 Rock, Cougar Town, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Happy Endings, New Girl

Tier 3 (average): How I Met Your Mother, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Modern Family, South Park

Tier 4 (below average): The Big Bang Theory, The Office, Portlandia, The Simpsons, Up All Night

Tier 5 (mediocre): American Dad, Family Guy, Glee

And shows below Tier 5 are ones you should avoid at all costs - I'm talking about 2 Broke Girls, Two and a Half Men, Whitney, etc.

:uhoh:

Aww yeah I'm sorry, I heard you got some VMs about it or something, that's too much hahaha

I'm a grammar/spelling Nazi, but I'm fine with people who speak English as their second language so that's why it looked like I kinda snapped at you

iz cool man

we cool

That parrotdies person is weird as fuck, how the hell do they know what goes on when they never post in here? (Clearly aware that Dee made a thread recently, as well as how they somehow know Dee's young). Y'know not to mention they made a fucking list of like 20 tv shows ranks, and appears to endlessly read reviews, as Kiame said there's nothing harmful about that, but if you watch shitloads of TV why would you bother then reading reviews about it?

In deefence (GET IT?! HAHA) at no point did it ever appear Dee felt pissed off that she was excluded, pretty much any retard could include themselves in saying YOLO (I know I did), so yeah, that was a bit OTT.

I also think it's really shabby to make personal digs at people when you haven't revealed anything about yourself, it's very cheap.

Nothing to do with what I quoted from you but I just saw a couple of episodes of New Girl and let me just tell you something,

It was probably one of the worst shows ever made in an age of TV that is trying to hard to be the next big thing, this isn´t even trying and Zooey is still the main character and the rest of the cast is just unfunny and this show is just a big ass pile of shit, its so bad that I wanted to puke my eyes out. It was so bad that I had nightmares of Deschannel dancing around in her leggings while she made unfunny ironic dances about Bill Cosby, it was so bad that I didn´t find any meaning to life. It´s shit.

Was only goofing off :P I think I accidentally made Destrokk go into a bit of a panic though... D:

I was joking too.

I know right? Who would have thought a show titled Cougar Town could evolve into one of TV's critically acclaimed comedies?

Just check out the AV Club's reviews for Season 3 for reference: http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/tvshow/cougar-town,133/

ENOUGH

• 1 month later...