✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

How do you get an upgrade at a Coldplay show?

Forty Two

Most of the time, it's by luck. A roadie/crew member will pick someone out and voila, upgraded seats.

But don't worry about your seats. I thought I had pretty bad nosebleed seats, but as soon as the band came on, I could not care less.

• 3 weeks later...

When I got upgraded in 2009. I was at the show really early in my seats with my then girlfriend. We were just sitting there hanging out, she got pretend mad and a crew member came to cheer her up. I started talking to him, turns out he was the video manager. He got called away mid conversation, but he got the point I was hardcore. I named Matt and he laughed.

Came back after the first opener, reached into his pocket and said "Just talked to Chris and he wanted me to give you these." Boom row 3 on the stage right ramp. Chris was pretty disconnected the entire show and at the end gave me the Lovers parasol.

Then in April when I saw them again I was in the stands behind the stage, row 1(Bought at the box office at 6:30) he noticed me and waved at me. The only reason this is logical as to why he remembers me is because they filmed the 2009 shows and after he gave me the parasol the camera was in my face for a solid 30 seconds.

When I got upgraded in 2009. I was at the show really early in my seats with my then girlfriend. We were just sitting there hanging out, she got pretend mad and a crew member came to cheer her up. I started talking to him, turns out he was the video manager. He got called away mid conversation, but he got the point I was hardcore. I named Matt and he laughed.

Came back after the first opener, reached into his pocket and said "Just talked to Chris and he wanted me to give you these." Boom row 3 on the stage right ramp. Chris was pretty disconnected the entire show and at the end gave me the Lovers parasol.

Then in April when I saw them again I was in the stands behind the stage, row 1(Bought at the box office at 6:30) he noticed me and waved at me. The only reason this is logical as to why he remembers me is because they filmed the 2009 shows and after he gave me the parasol the camera was in my face for a solid 30 seconds.

Hahaha, that's awesome. I'm jealous that you have the LiJ parasol.

Do you mean Chris waved at you, or Matt?

here's a question... do you think looks matter when it comes to getting upgrades? I put on quite a bit of weight over the last couple years so I'm not exactly as cute as I used to be.. lol. If it's based solely on how early you get there and how excited you are though, I think I might have a chance.

I purchased floor seats (section 2) Mylo Xyloto tour tickets all the way back in December of 2011. This would of been my 3rd Coldplay concert ever, so I wanted to do it big. Lets fast forward to May of 2012. A friend from Texas was coming into town and I recommended we go see Coldplay. I already was going with someone on the 9th, so I figured i'd just buy cheap seats for the 8th. I believe we were placed in section 419 which is super high up. We arrived to the Verizon Center about 20 minutes before they opened the doors to the public. We got our Xylobands, got our tickets scanned, and headed to our seats in 419! Once we got up there, both our seats were broken and not suitable for viewing a concert in them. I flag down an usher and explain to him our problem. He then finds some service workers to try and repair the seats. They said that the seats couldn't be repaired, so they had to walk us to guest services to get new seats. I knew that those service men weren't the roadies I heard about on this forum, but I kept hopes high thinking hmm, maybe we'll be upgraded to some really nice seats. That didn't happen, we were basically moved over to the other side of the arena and a tad bit lower, but still in the 400 section. So about 15 minutes later, I spot a roadie pulling a group of two girls to the side asking them "hey, did you girls make these posters?" "how big of fans of Coldplay are you". I knew exactly what was going on, and I wanted to throw myself in front of them and try to request tickets. She offered them seats between the first 3 rows. You see, I actually made my own shirt for the concert. I had a friend photoshop me into a picture with coldplay that looked pretty funny but only something a true fan would do. So once she finished talking to them, I tell me friend, I'll be right back and I try to find her to talk to her. She walked so fast that I couldn't catch her so I kind of gave up and headed back to my seat, bummed out. Then I gained hope again and tried a second time to find a roadie. At this point, I knew how they acted so I felt that I could spot one from anywhere. What do you know, I did spot another roadie upgrading a group of guys to one of the front 3 rows. I tried to catch him but he also walked too fast to speak to. I was going to say "hey, do you know where the bathroom is, hoping he would notice my shirt i created. I eventually gave up trying to track him down and just went back to my seat. At this point I forced myself to just forget about it and enjoy the concert..after all, the next show I'd be in section 2 in front of the X stage. So Wolfgang performed and I LOVED THEM. I checked them out before the concert and the king and all of his men was by far my favorite song by them that i've heard. Anyway, after they were done they said, he we'll be in section 114 or something like that if you wanted to get stuff signed by them or to meet them. My friend said hey lets go there! I kind of recommended that we didn't since I didn't want to risk missing the start of coldplay. She said that there was enough time to get there to meet them. So we leave our seats and head to 114. Before we even get 20 feet away, a guy standing on the side randomly stops us saying "hey guys you coldplay fans". I knew EXACTLY what was going on because he was the same guy I was trying to track down. My friend however thought he was a creep at first since shes used to that kind of thing lol. He showed us his badge and asked if we were happy with our seats etc. We of course say any seat is a good one for Coldplay. Then he asks if we're the only people in our group and we say yes. He tells us he has 4 tickets left between the first 3 rows on the floor if we want them. At this point I'm going crazy, after reading so many people getting upgraded on this site, I never thought it would happen to me! He even had popcorn and offered me some, I of course take some! He guides us to the lower level. I'm so pumped that I call my mom and tell her the good news. We get down to the lower level and he hands us our tickets. First row on the floor, left of the X stage cat walk. It looked as if they reserved the first 3 rows for "true fans" that get lucky enough for tickets. Rows 4 and back looked like really rich people who were only sitting that close up because they could afford it. They didn't look anywhere near as exited as any of us within the first 3 rows. Now, I'm a 21 year old male. I've been a coldplay fan ever since I heard Clocks and In My Place for the first time back in the 6th grade. There was only one other guy in the row. The rest were 14-17 year old girls haha, but I didn't mind, they were all really nice. Some of the girls on the left of me were so pumped that they asked me the name of some of the songs Coldplay played. I gladly told them the names since I love myself some Coldplay trivia! The man who upgraded us to the seats came back about 2 other times during the concert to see how we all were doing up there. He was very kind and funny.

During the concert, I can't tell you HOW AMAZING IT WAS TO BE SO CLOSE TO COLDPLAY. I think after this concert, Jonny became my favorite Coldplayer. I forgot which song it was, but Chris was being Chris and running all around. It seemed as if everyones attention was all on Chris on the X Stage but I turned around and continued to look at Jonny. I of course had my camera out recording and i scream Jonny!!! I wave and what not to get his attention and he actually noticed me and kind of smiled and made eye contact! That by far was the coolest thing ever, just being noticed by someone from Coldplay was awesome!!! At the end of the concert, there were two setlists given out to people in the first and second row. One was a little girl who sat behind me. The other was to a couple that I believe was one of the first to be upgraded to the floor seats. The little girl however was kind enough to let me take a picture of her setlist. I personally would of framed it but I guess I can frame the picture of the setlist

So that's basically my story. Here are some tips/advice if you're going to a Coldplay concert soon.

1) It's ok to bring a point and shoot camera, they didn't have a problem with it. It just can't be a professional camera.

2) Feel free to record during the concert. The event staff guys were really strict against recording when the 2 acts were on before Coldplay, but they never told anyone or me to stop when Coldplay came on stage. I got maybe 1-2 mean looks from the event staff guy but he didn't tell me to stop .

3) If you want your seats upgraded, being on the highest level (400ish) helps a lot. Try to get to the concert early and walk around the halls. However, sometimes the roadies will come to your seat if you're lucky, so just keep your eyes open for them.

4) Make concert shirts or posters. I personally had fun making my shirt, but it's one of the only ways that I've seen that you'll be noticed as a "true fan" by them. Put effort into it and be proud of it.

5) HAVE FUN!

My next goal is to actually meet Coldplay. I get another chance tomorrow since I'll be in section 2 that time. I'd love to get upgraded to front row again, but at the same time, I think it's good to share with someone else who hasn't wants to experience Coldplay on the front row!

smallnshort, you should post a photo of your shirt! lol

Most venues I go to don't allow posters to come inside, so I was thinking of writing on a piece of fabric and stuffing it in my purse for the Jersey show. Or maybe I'll make a shirt that says "I came 1,200 miles to see Coldplay" or something (it's true - I live just outside of Jacksonville, Florida, but I grew up in Connecticut and decided to go there to see the Boston and Jersey shows..... and also friends and family haha). I've got floor seats for the Boston show, but I'm up in the nosebleeds behind the stage for the Jersey show, and I'm going to that show with my mom... we're not 14-17 year old girls so I hope that doesn't blow my chances of getting upgraded! As for the Boston show, I'm not exactly sure where on the floor I'll be sitting but I'm only 5' tall so an upgrade wouldn't hurt :)

Oh, and another question... do they take your original tickets when you get upgraded? Or do you keep them? Because if I got upgraded, I'd probably do the same thing... go up to the last row and give my original tickets to someone who seems deserving of better seats.

Thanks for telling us your story Smallnshort247 !! I'm from France and I'm going to see Coldplay twice in Boston because I'm in the city for the summer. I have a good seat for the second show but I'll have a seat behind the stage for the first show (there are no other seats available). I have already made my own Coldplay tee shirt with the dates of all the Coldplay gigs I attented and I was thinking about bringing a French flag. Now i'm definitely going to bring one and write something on it ! I hope I'll be noticed by some roadies then :D

Thanks for telling us your story Smallnshort247 !! I'm from France and I'm going to see Coldplay twice in Boston because I'm in the city for the summer. I have a good seat for the second show but I'll have a seat behind the stage for the first show (there are no other seats available). I have already made my own Coldplay tee shirt with the dates of all the Coldplay gigs I attented and I was thinking about bringing a French flag. Now i'm definitely going to bring one and write something on it ! I hope I'll be noticed by some roadies then :D

Here you go! On the back it said "Keep calm and listen to Coldplay" :D

389015_10151098932640329_1190943194_n.jpg

smallnshort, you should post a photo of your shirt! lol

Most venues I go to don't allow posters to come inside, so I was thinking of writing on a piece of fabric and stuffing it in my purse for the Jersey show. Or maybe I'll make a shirt that says "I came 1,200 miles to see Coldplay" or something (it's true - I live just outside of Jacksonville, Florida, but I grew up in Connecticut and decided to go there to see the Boston and Jersey shows..... and also friends and family haha). I've got floor seats for the Boston show, but I'm up in the nosebleeds behind the stage for the Jersey show, and I'm going to that show with my mom... we're not 14-17 year old girls so I hope that doesn't blow my chances of getting upgraded! As for the Boston show, I'm not exactly sure where on the floor I'll be sitting but I'm only 5' tall so an upgrade wouldn't hurt :)

Oh, and another question... do they take your original tickets when you get upgraded? Or do you keep them? Because if I got upgraded, I'd probably do the same thing... go up to the last row and give my original tickets to someone who seems deserving of better seats.

I saw them in D.C both shows but I want to seem them AGAIN live lol. Knowing that they may not be near by for a little while makes me want to see them as much as possible. So I may see them both nights at that NJ show. I'll have nose bleed seats for sure during that show but I'm more set on my chances of meeting them after the concert. I'm sure they'd come out at least one of the two nights to meet some fans.

As for the ticket, it depends. For our seats, they were such crappy nose bleed seats that the roadies didn't ask for ours. However, the next day my friends got upgraded from section 109 to 2nd row seats. They did take their tickets. So if they don't take your tickets, it would be very nice of you if you did that!

I was considering Boston too but it's just too far from D.C for this kind of trip.

Considering your height, it might be hard to see. Floor seats are interesting. I like that you're involved with all the props Coldplay uses during the show, and I like that you're kind of expected to stand during the whole show. You can jump as you please and what not. But sometimes it is hard to see, so I hope you have a good view or get upgraded!

Haha, I love the shirt! I wanted to go to both NJ shows, but by the time I bought tickets, the second show was sold out on Ticketmaster and I've got to fly back to Florida that night anyway... just found out I'm on the schedule at work the next morning. Even if I don't get upgraded, I'll be more than happy with the floor seats... I saw them in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago and had balcony seats, and for the Jersey show I'm behind the stage, so I guess I'll have seen them from all angles. lol.

Anyone have luck upgrading from seats behind the stage :uhoh:

Yes sir. My friends and I were upgraded at the July 9th Verizon Center show from Section 424. Funny thing is, we weren't even acting overly excited, and instead just looking at our phones to try to find better seats in the arena somewhere when roadie Brad walked up to us. We were on the aisle about halfway up the section if that helps. It happened after Wolf Gang performed and just before Robyn came on so it didn't happen super early, but then again we were there at about 6:30 and I'm pretty sure he was scoping people out early on (but I had no idea who he was until I saw the MX credentials!). We didn't have custom shirts on but we were wearing shirts we just bought from the merchandise table outside. So I'll never know why he picked us, but I guess it was Coldplay fate, and those two DC shows were the best nights of my life :)

Yes sir. My friends and I were upgraded at the July 9th Verizon Center show from Section 424. Funny thing is, we weren't even acting overly excited, and instead just looking at our phones to try to find better seats in the arena somewhere when roadie Brad walked up to us. We were on the aisle about halfway up the section if that helps. It happened after Wolf Gang performed and just before Robyn came on so it didn't happen super early, but then again we were there at about 6:30 and I'm pretty sure he was scoping people out early on (but I had no idea who he was until I saw the MX credentials!). We didn't have custom shirts on but we were wearing shirts we just bought from the merchandise table outside. So I'll never know why he picked us, but I guess it was Coldplay fate, and those two DC shows were the best nights of my life :)

I was at both those shows too! Got upgraded the first night. I think Brad upgraded me too but I was so excited I forgot his name :laugh3: I'm a new Wolf Gang fan now too :D

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Lucky :wreck:

Anyone have luck upgrading from seats behind the stage :uhoh:

Yeah, my friend and I had seats behind and above the stage in Philadelphia last week. I made a shirt for the show, but never actually expected an upgrade. We were looking at merchandise before Wolf Gang's set when a man came up behind us and asked if I made my shirt. I said yes, we talked a little, then he exchanged our tickets for second row tickets. So we weren't in our seats behind the stage when we were upgraded, but when the roadie saw where the seats were he offered us closer seats.

Hahaha, that's awesome. I'm jealous that you have the LiJ parasol.

Do you mean Chris waved at you, or Matt?

I do not have it anymore belongs to my old girlfriend now. Chris waved at me in Vancouver, as it was Andy not Matt that upgraded me. Andy had to go get tickets for me without telling me.

I'll see if I get lucky again, I turned them down a second time, but as its my friends first concert ever I'd say yes.

Reading all your stories give me hope for the gigs in Boston, thanks for sharing them !

Here are some pictures of my home made tee shirt. It took me ages because I tried to use each album's font but I'm proud of the result ! I have to add one the Boston Gigs though, I wasn't supposed to go but finally I am.

The front:

605062IMG9763copy.jpg

The back:

141289IMG9761copy.jpg

oh my god im gonna watch them in melbourne next november and i actually live in indonesia so i gave up everything to see them!!! please wish me luck i wanna get an upgrade so so so bad my seat is so far away from the stage but if i dont get it then it's fine cause it's coldplay... but still wish me luckk!! hehehe :):):):):):(:(:(:( sooooo exciteddddd