✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Are the f*ckups on purpose?

Blue Nails

Personally, i don't think they are on purpose in the sense that they would literally screw up a song at a certain time that either Chris or the guys have staged/talked about because that's ridiculous. I think they have these screw ups because they generally always happen in every show however they've now (especially Chris) become more open about them and feel like they can admit them to the audience because they've realised that they're quite entertaining.

So no, it's not on purpose. They're just admitting their mistakes a lot more often now.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(sorry i don't know why my comment was cut in half) what it DOES worry me is that they fuck up the same songs numerous times. i mean, if i were chris (with a lot more of looks and talent :P ) i would rehearse this songs a huge lot during the week to make sure it didn't happen again. if something bothers me is that lack of "professionalism" to make sure everything works out perfect... it's hard to believe coming from coldplay though (and as you said, the rest of the songs are performed without mistakes... and you know they are perfectionists) but... you know i love them anyways :lol:

so, to quote myself again, they sure exagerate the mistakes because they feel more comfortable on stage and with the crowd. it doesn't even cross my mind to think that the fuck up on purpose. what worries me is that thing from above :confused:

still waiting on guy to fuck up :D )

i remember guy fucking up yellow i guess in the trouble norweigan ep it was quite funny to listen :lol: he corrected it quick (and they didn't stop) that one from will was interesting! i've never heard will fucking up drumming... that or i have bad memory WICH I HAVE :P

IMAGINE this performance with a 'fuckup' added in? It just never would have happened! Please Coldplay drop this disingenuous gimmick!

If honest mistakes are made (like I believe at Glastonbury 2011) then it's cute, shows their real etc. but if they are deliberate I just think it's so not cool.

Of course the fuckups are planned/scripted/intentional. They never used to do it during the earlier tours. It's not like they've got worse at playing their instruments!

Coldplay - See You Soon - YouTube

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fijxGB3ucuQ]Coldplay - See You Soon live L'Olympia Paris France - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=newVCIYUxl4]Coldplay see you soon Enmore Theatre Sydney 07-08-2001 - YouTube[/ame]

should cripter all "fuckup" lol :thinking:

Spontaneity of Chris is touching and the end of story of the song I do not know myself :)

Personally, i don't think they are on purpose in the sense that they would literally screw up a song at a certain time that either Chris or the guys have staged/talked about because that's ridiculous. I think they have these screw ups because they generally always happen in every show however they've now (especially Chris) become more open about them and feel like they can admit them to the audience because they've realised that they're quite entertaining.

So no, it's not on purpose. They're just admitting their mistakes a lot more often now.

This is what I think too :nod:

Guest LiquidSky

I've seen a lot of shows and I agree that he might use it as a tool other than it being planned out. He messes up in almost every show....

Im glad this was aired as I was starting to wonder about this too

After reading the comments so far I hope that your idea he uses it as a 'tool' to warm the crowd up is true as I dont think I could handle the fact it is scripted

I would love to see then go back to basics sometimes and dont worry if there is a fuck-up, most people wouldnt even notice!!!

Coldplay and Chris are very close to my heart so please boys just entertain us without too many gimmicks ;)

If I can sing every lyric to every song and never f*ck up, why can't he? Also, I've been to many, many concerts and bands screw up. However, it's considered professional to keep going and not call attention to the mistake. In fact, I remember an interview with the boys and they talked about mistakes, saying that 1 can be charming but 2 are unprofessional. If the f*ck-ups are just Chris being Chris, why are there never more than 1? He's a consummate professional and he uses them as a tool, but never to the point where he'd consider them unprofessional. And as others have said here, most people aren't following the band like we all do. They'd think the charming mistake was something special that happen at *their* show.

Another gesture that seems to be showing up -- has he kissed the stage at the shows you've seen?

Another gesture that seems to be showing up -- has he kissed the stage at the shows you've seen?

Yep. He does it a lot. Doesn't mean anything anymore. :confused:

I'm a bit surprised to see the poll is almost 50-50. I voted no myself because saying yes didn't feel right... But it's only just a no.

Yep. He does it a lot. Doesn't mean anything anymore. :confused:

I think it's something many artists do. He often says that now they're getting old so they have lots of things and habits. I guess this is now one of them, after a good show he kisses the stage, I don't see what's disappointing in doing it often. It just means he's grateful for every show, that's great actually :D

I think it's something many artists do. He often says that now they're getting old so they have lots of things and habits. I guess this is now one of them, after a good show he kisses the stage, I don't see what's disappointing in doing it often. It just means he's grateful for every show, that's great actually :D

I agree, I don't see it as a negative, but it isn't spontaneous. It's like bowing & waving at the end of a show.

I agree, I don't see it as a negative, but it isn't spontaneous. It's like bowing & waving at the end of a show.

:nod: It's not because it's not spontaneous that it's negative. (because it doesn't have to do with the performance itself, as opposed to the fck ups - btw I just watched a recent one during Warning Sign, and, yeah, I heard him at other performances messing up a note, he would continue, maybe giggle a little, but he'd continue, but now he doesn't care, he stops & has a laugh with the crowd, and then they start again)

^^He tries to make each show personal for the city he is in. So, it's not scripted, but a line to help you feel more personally connected to 'your' show.

I find it endearing that he cares enough to do that. There are a lot of artists that will say "Thank you (insert random city), you've been great tonight", and that is as personal to your city as they will get. Chris still wants to make sure the audience is connected to the show. It also helps the casual fans become more invested in the band. I can't tell you how many people I know over the years that have been casual Coldplay fans, then have seen them live, and they become much more invested in the band.

^^He tries to make each show personal for the city he is in. So, it's not scripted, but a line to help you feel more personally connected to 'your' show.

I find it endearing that he cares enough to do that. There are a lot of artists that will say "Thank you (insert random city), you've been great tonight", and that is as personal to your city as they will get. Chris still wants to make sure the audience is connected to the show. It also helps the casual fans become more invested in the band. I can't tell you how many people I know over the years that have been casual Coldplay fans, then have seen them live, and they become much more invested in the band.

I agree. Coldplay have developed an entire organization to help keep fans connected. Let's face it, as they've became bigger and bigger, it became impossible for them to handle it themselves. Roadie 42, Prospect, Oracle, Anchorman are all part of a P.R. machine and it works. I remember an old interview where Chris talked about reading the local papers to get an idea what was going on in the city they were playing. When he mentions the local sports team do I really think he's followed their games? Of course not, but it tells me he cares enough to do some homework and throw one out to the fans. It's amazing, really.

Even though I still think these mistakes or gestures aren't 'genuine', I have thought of it some more and realised all this makes Chris an excellent frontman and performer. The way he plays with the audience is truly something. And I'm sure it comes from his heart.

In other words: the fuckups may not be unique, but Coldplay's charm is. :cheesy:

So I decided to go with it and see it as a good thing.

So thanks to everyone in this thread. After days of horrible confusion I can now continue living my incredibly interesting life.

Even though I still think these mistakes or gestures aren't 'genuine', I have thought of it some more and realised all this makes Chris an excellent frontman and performer. The way he plays with the audience is truly something. And I'm sure it comes from his heart.

In other words: the fuckups may not be unique, but Coldplay's charm is. :cheesy:

So I decided to go with it and see it as a good thing.

So thanks to everyone in this thread. After days of horrible confusion I can now continue living my incredibly interesting life.

Dead on! Now I'll go back and continue living my incredibly dull life. :0