✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Are the f*ckups on purpose?

Blue Nails

The band are very aware of how cute they are when they mess up, and I think it's very tempting for Chris to exaggerate a mistake if he feels like the show needs something extra.

Or sometimes, it's just Chris being a perfectionist.

Well, you're right, the mistakes are hilarious and very endearing, to the point where I almost hope they make one.

I just think they know it's in their benefit to mess something up, but only, in my opinion, when it's unplanned. I wouldn't like it if they decide before the show if they should fuck up that night and when... (But I don't think they do that.)

The thing is, it wouldn't make them sincere if it's deliberate. And sincerety is what Coldplay are about, to me.

:nod::nod::nod: This, I completely agree :nod:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guitar toss is fine by me but I really, really dislike these deliberate 'fuck-ups'. I love almost everything Coldplay do but to me it just seems really disingenuous.

I understand that due to the nature of the show things have to be planned (ie. the lights and props etc.) but I would appreciate it if the gigs were slightly less scripted. I mean these days we don't even get excited about seeing the setlist from the latest show because we all know the setlist is going to stay the same!

Who seriously believes that the guitar throwing at the end of GPASUYF is spontaneous? Why should it be? He does it every night, the fans know and expect it, full of anticipation. It's part of the show and it's great.

As for the f*ckup at Glastonbury 2011, Will did indeed sing wrong lyrics during UATW. The boys couldn't stop giggling so Chris decided to stop and took responsibility for the mistake. There's an article on this site where Will admits that Chris took one for the team.

The article that the OP references is really nitpicking and unkind to Coldplay for no serious reason. I'm sure most fans don't mind the f*cks, planned or not. In fact, they make Chris even more adorable.

The guitar toss is fine by me but I really, really dislike these deliberate 'fuck-ups'. I love almost everything Coldplay do but to me it just seems really disingenuous.

I understand that due to the nature of the show things have to be planned (ie. the lights and props etc.) but I would appreciate it if the gigs were slightly less scripted. I mean these days we don't even get excited about seeing the setlist from the latest show because we all know the setlist is going to stay the same!

I find that us at home make a big deal of the setlist. For most fans at the actual show, it doesn't matter.

Who seriously believes that the guitar throwing at the end of GPASUYF is spontaneous? Why should it be? He does it every night, the fans know and expect it, full of anticipation. It's part of the show and it's great.

As for the f*ckup at Glastonbury 2011, Will did indeed sang wrong lyrics during UATW. The boys couldn't stop giggling so Chris decided to stop and took responsibility for the mistake. There's an article on this site where Will admits that Chris took one for the team.

The article that the OP references is really nitpicking and unkind to Coldplay for no serious reason. I'm sure most fans don't mind the f*cks, planned or not. In fact, they make Chris even more adorable.

They make him even more adorable when it's not planned. If they're planned, I'll have a less good opinion of him. And you know how much I love him.

Lately I have this feeling too.He fucked up at D.C. when they were playing yellow,and it was a little...how to say...unnatural.The lyric should be"you know I love you so",but he sang"for you I'd bleed myself dry".When Chris said"lets do that again",the whole band started at the same place.I was wondering wtf,he only fucked up the last sentence,why they played the whole part?And unanimous?It looks like they already have decided that.:\

I love Chris said some dirty words when he fucked up,but if this is on purpose...idk how i feeling.But god,he is so sexy when he says sh*t or sing"fucking ship".:lol:

They make him even more adorable when it's not planned. If they're planned, I'll have a less good opinion of him. And you know how much I love him.

I don't think they're planned. As some have pointed out, it doesn't occur every night. I buy the assertion that he maybe does it as a spur of the moment, depending on how the gig is going.

Just talk to me after your gig and tell me there's a possibility what so ever you might have a less good opinion of Chris. I'm bought and paid for here.:lol:

I've been to many a concert in my lifetime, but I've never seen a better lead singer, busting his chops to make sure everyone has a good time. Chris just doesn't stop. He seems to be everywhere, working every inch of the stage, and even making time for those seated behind the stage. My eyes were glued on him the whole time. I remember singing POC without ever seeing Rihanna b/c I couldn't even be bothered to look at the jumbo TVs. :lol:

It's one thing to watch a gig on youtube or on TV, it's another to see it happening right in front you and be part of it.

Enough rambling!:)

They fucked up the beginning of Speed of Sound on the C stage in Toronto night one, but they didn't at all on night 2. Sometimes when someone else in the band fucks up, you can see the band start laughing. I saw this between Guy and Will a few times over the 2 shows! ( I focus on Guy a lot! LOL)

I don't think they're planned. As some have pointed out, it doesn't occur every night. I buy the assertion that he maybe does it as a spur of the moment, depending on how the gig is going.

Just talk to me after your gig and tell me there's a possibility what so ever you might have a less good opinion of Chris. I'm bought and paid for here.:lol:

I've been to many a concert in my lifetime, but I've never seen a better lead singer, busting his chops to make sure everyone has a good time. Chris just doesn't stop. He seems to be everywhere, working every inch of the stage, and even making time for those seated behind the stage. My eyes were glued on him the whole time. I remember singing POC without ever seeing Rihanna b/c I couldn't even be bothered to look at the jumbo TVs. :lol:

It's one thing to watch a gig on youtube or on TV, it's another to see it happening right in front you and be part of it.

Enough rambling!:)

Oh I don't mean he doesn't give everything or that kind of stuff. But to me Coldplay is true, sincere. Coldplay is what isn't fake in music. It's a big part of why I love them more than any other bands, and that's why I'd be quite disappointed if those fuck ups were planned.

But, as you said, they most likely aren't planned (like, being a part of the script - I think the...energy theory is interesting and probably true in some occasions). It is quite weird that they happen so often, but there is most likely no fuck up planned ahead of the show.

They just mess up a lot cuz they suk.

jk I've been fortunate enough to see them twice on the tour and they only fucked up one time out of the 2 shows and when they did it was the big warning sign fuck up from DC. It was hilarious the way that he handled it too.

Lately I have this feeling too.He fucked up at D.C. when they were playing yellow,and it was a little...how to say...unnatural.The lyric should be"you know I love you so",but he sang"for you I'd bleed myself dry".When Chris said"lets do that again",the whole band started at the same place.I was wondering wtf,he only fucked up the last sentence,why they played the whole part?And unanimous?It looks like they already have decided that.:\

I love Chris said some dirty words when he fucked up,but if this is on purpose...idk how i feeling.But god,he is so sexy when he says sh*t or sing"fucking ship".:lol:

He did this on the 10th June in Manchester! I don't dislike Chris, but I think his fame has got to him a little...

I think that the mistakes are intentional and not very fun!! :\

I have never been to a live concert but, when I watch their performances, I do not notice the necessity of make that kind of joke. It just sounds... I don't know... not very natural!! (sorry If I made some mistakes, my english is not that good :D)

well, my opinion is a bit of a mash up of all the previous comments. i don't think they are intentional, but i guess that at the smallest mistake, chris exagerates it dramatically to connect with the crowd.

you guys mentioned all the shows of this tour, but let's remember older shows. they sure fucked up sometimes, but they didn't stop often because of that. and i think that they were quite nervous and that they didn't feel loose enough. now they can say OK FUCK IT LET'S START OVER :laugh3: because they know that everyone will be ok with it, but i guess that before they tried to cover it up because they were thinking "oh god i made a mistake i hope no one will notice because otherwise everyone will hate me"

what is alarming though, is that happens at nomerous shows of

well, my opinion is a bit of a mash up of all the previous comments. i don't think they are intentional, but i guess that at the smallest mistake, chris exagerates it dramatically to connect with the crowd.

you guys mentioned all the shows of this tour, but let's remember older shows. they sure fucked up sometimes, but they didn't stop often because of that. and i think that they were quite nervous and that they didn't feel loose enough. now they can say OK FUCK IT LET'S START OVER :laugh3: because they know that everyone will be ok with it, but i guess that before they tried to cover it up because they were thinking "oh god i made a mistake i hope no one will notice because otherwise everyone will hate me"

Interesting. That may be a part of the explanation :nod:

IMAGINE this performance with a 'fuckup' added in? It just never would have happened! Please Coldplay drop this disingenuous gimmick!

If honest mistakes are made (like I believe at Glastonbury 2011) then it's cute, shows their real etc. but if they are deliberate I just think it's so not cool.

Of course the fuckups are planned/scripted/intentional. They never used to do it during the earlier tours. It's not like they've got worse at playing their instruments!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsz-EeNZBkI]Coldplay - See You Soon - YouTube[/ame]

I do feel Chris feels more comfortable with himself and the audience, as a performer, that he feels he can come right out and say they fucked up and laugh. I think at Glastonbury Will would have gone on if Chris hadn't started smiling and then felt the need to start over. It's growth on Chris' part--I've been watching the 2003 Live DVD (working out to it, actually) and he seems waaaaaaaaaaaaay less comfortable and at ease. He's grown into the performer that he is now, and as self-depracating as we know he is, he feels the need to stop a song once it's started and chuckle or start over. So, no, I don't think the fuckups are planned.

I submitted this question to the Oracle a few weeks ago, sadly it is unanswered!

I asked whether Chris would deliberately fuck up Warning Sign since he fucked it up even back in Glasto 2005 and eversince i heard it he started it over and excused for fucking up, i thing at the philadelphia show lately with nearly the exact same words as at glasto 05!

too bad the oracle didnt answer...

oh btw: i dont know i think the fuckups are unintentional but chris fucking up warning sign is just getting old. i think he has a hard time playing it or at least had a hard time at first. since it was a charming fuckup, he never felt like putting more effort into it.

i mean they do shitty stuff sometimes, see clocks (may it be because chris is going nuts :D ), jonny on in my place, will on in my place with the backing track at main square festival in france 2011, then in in my place the 2nd take where he keeps playing on in the interlude (which was probably the first time ever that will did a mistake, still waiting on guy to fuck up :D ), chris on speed of sound (falling off the stage), or at some festival last year with us against the world,... OH YEAH guy fucked up a bass line on white shadows at glastonbury 2005 i think... havent watched the stuff in years...

so many things to name... the shows became more scripted recently starting with the viva tour so i think the old fuckups are all unintended