✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Are the f*ckups on purpose?

Blue Nails

(I don't know if this should go in the Live section or not.)

Lately I've been wondering about this. I read a review the other day, which was a bit critical towards the band and it suggested that almost everything is scripted in their shows. For example, when Chris throws his guitar on stage, it gets a replay on screen in slowmo. Nice effect, but it shows it's not a spontaneous move (anymore).

The article also said Chris at some point stopped a song because he 'fucked it up', while the mistake wasn't obvious at all.

Last year, they nailed Glastonbury and they made a mistake. (Or should I say: because they made a mistake?) That moment made the whole concert even more special than it already was. The article suggested that since then, it seemed like they decided to do a fuckup every night.

It's part of their charm that not only they can get away with it - it even adds something to the experience. Something that makes every show unique.

Does anyone think they may be doing it on purpose?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(I don't know if this should go in the Live section or not.)

Lately I've been wondering about this. I read a review the other day, which was a bit critical towards the band and it suggested that almost everything is scripted in their shows. For example, when Chris throws his guitar on stage, it gets a replay on screen in slowmo. Nice effect, but it shows it's not a spontaneous move (anymore).

The article also said Chris at some point stopped a song because he 'fucked it up', while the mistake wasn't obvious at all.

Last year, they nailed Glastonbury and they made a mistake. (Or should I say: because they made a mistake?) That moment made the whole concert even more special than it already was. The article suggested that since then, it seemed like they decided to do a fuckup every night.

It's part of their charm that not only they can get away with it - it even adds something to the experience. Something that makes every show unique.

Does anyone think they may be doing it on purpose?

The Glastonbury fuckup seemed unintentional to me.

As for the current tour, yes, I've been wondering this as well. The guitar toss is definitely part of the show and it doesn't bother me that it is planned, for some reason, as opposed to the fuckup. I find it a bit...idk, I don't have the word for that yet, but I don't like that they seem to have now put it as a part of the show. Maybe I find it less honest, simple as that.

I suppose this is an interesting debate. I can understand viewpoints from both sides to be honest.

He messed up a lyric at Manchester on the 2nd night in Yellow, and instead of stopping the song immediately he said he had messed up at the end instead and replayed the chorus.

Instead of saying "you know I love you so", he said "for you I bleed myself dry". He got it the wrong way round. I don't think this was intentional.

On the other hand, there are moments where he says "oh I've fucked up" when I don't particularly notice anything wrong, but then again Chris knows much more than me how the song should go because he wrote the song!

As for the guitar throwing at the end of GPASUYF, I quite like it actually :D.

Whatever still, I love Coldplay just as much!

I saw Coldplay the first night they were in Philly about a month ago and they didn't have a "fuck-up" at all. I've watched a lot of Chris messing up and I don't think it's entirely scripted but rather Chris uses it as a 'tool.'

In an interview once Chris said that in arenas he can tell when a song isn't doing to hot when he sees people going through the silhouettes of the exits lights. I think that if Chris isn't feeling enough energy coming from a song he'll "fuck-up" in the middle of it. This always brings new found energy into song that wasn't there before.

Glastonbury 2012 is a perfect example. Us Against the World, new song, not a classic yet. Crowd it a little chatty, a little bored with a new slow, acoustic song. Chris fucks up and gets people a laugh and paying attention again. Notice how Chris never fucks up during Viva, Charlie Brown, Fix You, Yellow...the hits and if he does (by accident) he addresses it at the end and doesn't stop the good vibes in the middle of the song. That's because everyone loves them and there is already plenty of energy flowing. Chris especially fucks up during Up In Flames on the Mylo Xylotour, that's because it's a slower song with less energy than say Princess of China, which comes before, and Warning Sign (a classic) which comes after.

Back to when I was in Philly the first night, a lot of people sat down during Up In Flames. Chris could definitely feel this loss of energy but he didn't fuck-up. So the next night in Philly Will's drum machine 'broke' during Princess of China so they (unfortunately) had to play Trouble (a classic) instead of Up In Flames. (This is just a little theory I had not sure if I even think that's how it happened).

Anyways, I digress. The fuck-ups are definitely there on purpose but are a split second decision kind of thing based on Chris' read of the crowd. Works like a charm every time too. I don't mind it either because personally I enjoy it when Chris talks to the crowd before a song. I don't think he does it enough, actually.

That's my theory, anyways.

I don't think that the place where the fucks up happens is plan, but it is a trick they use so that the crowd will relate more and feel more close to them. They could easily go on with the song on many occasions, but they learned that in acknowledging them, they create a ''unique'' moment that will stand out for the fans. (I don't know if I am clear...)

Anyway, I found it cute and it makes good youtube video for us to watch and laugh later

I saw Coldplay the first night they were in Philly about a month ago and they didn't have a "fuck-up" at all. I've watched a lot of Chris messing up and I don't think it's entirely scripted but rather Chris uses it as a 'tool.'

In an interview once Chris said that in arenas he can tell when a song isn't doing to hot when he sees people going through the silhouettes of the exits lights. I think that if Chris isn't feeling enough energy coming from a song he'll "fuck-up" in the middle of it. This always brings new found energy into song that wasn't there before.

Glastonbury 2012 is a perfect example. Us Against the World, new song, not a classic yet. Crowd it a little chatty, a little bored with a new slow, acoustic song. Chris fucks up and gets people a laugh and paying attention again. Notice how Chris never fucks up during Viva, Charlie Brown, Fix You, Yellow...the hits and if he does (by accident) he addresses it at the end and doesn't stop the good vibes in the middle of the song. That's because everyone loves them and there is already plenty of energy flowing. Chris especially fucks up during Up In Flames on the Mylo Xylotour, that's because it's a slower song with less energy than say Princess of China, which comes before, and Warning Sign (a classic) which comes after.

Back to when I was in Philly the first night, a lot of people sat down during Up In Flames. Chris could definitely feel this loss of energy but he didn't fuck-up. So the next night in Philly Will's drum machine 'broke' during Princess of China so they (unfortunately) had to play Trouble (a classic) instead of Up In Flames. (This is just a little theory I had not sure if I even think that's how it happened).

Anyways, I digress. The fuck-ups are definitely there on purpose but are a split second decision kind of thing based on Chris' read of the crowd. Works like a charm every time too. I don't mind it either because personally I enjoy it when Chris talks to the crowd before a song. I don't think he does it enough, actually.

That's my theory, anyways.

hmmm...thinking about it I may agree with some points of your theory. The theory that it comes from Chris to bring more energy when he feels it's down is interesting.

Though I'm pretty sure that the fact Will's drum machine broke was definitely not intentional.

I'm glad someone finally called this out!

In Glastonbury, I believe there was a mistake. It sounded like Will said "like a river to a rainbow" instead of raindrop during UATW and you can see the boys laugh a little. So maybe Chirs wanted to perfect their new song, or bring energy like others mentioned?

But at my show I heard absolutely NOTHING messed up when he stopped. But, he did stop when Jonny was "appearing" during UATW, so maybe he wanted the crowd to be more rowdy for him, haha!

Another thing, Chris uses the whole "Lady Gaga says her fans are the best, but I think she is wrong" line a lot as well, yes?

I'm glad someone finally called this out!

In Glastonbury, I believe there was a mistake. It sounded like Will said "like a river to a rainbow" instead of raindrop during UATW and you can see the boys laugh a little. So maybe Chirs wanted to perfect their new song, or bring energy like others mentioned?

But at my show I heard absolutely NOTHING messed up when he stopped. But, he did stop when Jonny was "appearing" during UATW, so maybe he wanted the crowd to be more rowdy for him, haha!

Another thing, Chris uses the whole "Lady Gaga says her fans are the best, but I think she is wrong" line a lot as well, yes?

He often uses the same lines. :nod:

lol, I agree with that Stazima said (except I do think the drum machine broke).

essentially a way to pick up a show...I don't really got a problem with it at all.

it adds more to the atmosphere...and I like the guitar smash as well

(i remember reading that review the op is talking about...that entire review was like a backhanded compliment...some reviewers will always find something to moan about)

lol, I agree with that Stazima said (except I do think the drum machine broke).

essentially a way to pick up a show...I don't really got a problem with it at all.

it adds more to the atmosphere...and I like the guitar smash as well

(i remember reading that review the op is talking about...that entire review was like a backhanded compliment...some reviewers will always find something to moan about)

:nod:

I remember it as well :nod:

:whip:

i think Chris sometimes gets very into the act of playing and interacting with the crowd, so much so that he'll forget certain lyrics or hit wrong notes on the piano. and he also is probably quick to accuse himself of messing up even if he hasn't. :P

yet, i also wouldn't put it past him if he sometimes did it on purpose? that's just who Chris is, sometimes he acts out for attention. that's why he's the frontman in the first place. :P

Chris "fucked up" during Us Against The World when I saw them in Tampa and I've noticed that they've been fucking up a lot lately. But in that specific instance, people were clapping along to "keep time" for Chris during UATW, and 18,000 people can't really keep time that well. So Chris "fucked up" in order to have everyone stop clapping to keep time instead of saying, you guys can't keep time so stfu.

But that doesn't really explain all of the other fuck ups.

I think chris is exaggerating the ´´FUCK UP´´ lately, at times i see that it is not necessary to do this,but i think he do this to show to public he is one normal man like the others and shows your human side error-prone.

If that's what happens, then who cares? It makes your show more special. If it's 'part of the act' then kudos to them, they're putting on a show. :D

Also I think perhaps we notice this more because we watch all the shows, all the live streams...we go to all the shows, read all the reports, etc. The average Coldplay goer, which most of us aren't, wouldn't notice. Perhaps? Although my husband, who is occasionally forced to listen to gigs or go to them.. :cool: has commented on more than one occcasion, that they fuckup more than ANY band he has ever seen. So who knows?

But personally, I love them, as I said, it makes your show more personal, more special.

Thanks all for your replies so far :cheesy:

So if they don't fuck up at every single show, the mistakes are not deliberate. Or at least, not entirely.

However, I agree with this:

I've watched a lot of Chris messing up and I don't think it's entirely scripted but rather Chris uses it as a 'tool.'

I don't think that the place where the fucks up happens is plan, but it is a trick they use so that the crowd will relate more and feel more close to them. They could easily go on with the song on many occasions, but they learned that in acknowledging them, they create a ''unique'' moment that will stand out for the fans.

i think Chris sometimes gets very into the act of playing and interacting with the crowd, so much so that he'll forget certain lyrics or hit wrong notes on the piano. and he also is probably quick to accuse himself of messing up even if he hasn't. :P

yet, i also wouldn't put it past him if he sometimes did it on purpose? that's just who Chris is, sometimes he acts out for attention. that's why he's the frontman in the first place. :P

I think chris is exaggerating the ´´FUCK UP´´ lately, at times i see that it is not necessary to do this,but i think he do this to show to public he is one normal man like the others and shows your human side error-prone.

The band are very aware of how cute they are when they mess up, and I think it's very tempting for Chris to exaggerate a mistake if he feels like the show needs something extra.

Or sometimes, it's just Chris being a perfectionist.

If that's what happens, then who cares? It makes your show more special. If it's 'part of the act' then kudos to them, they're putting on a show. :D

Well, you're right, the mistakes are hilarious and very endearing, to the point where I almost hope they make one.

I just think they know it's in their benefit to mess something up, but only, in my opinion, when it's unplanned. I wouldn't like it if they decide before the show if they should fuck up that night and when... (But I don't think they do that.)

The thing is, it wouldn't make them sincere if it's deliberate. And sincerety is what Coldplay are about, to me.