✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

College Stuff

golfing7861

I was naive in college with regard to job opportunities, but I wouldn't say it was a waste. At one point I stopped being afraid of post-college life and just took advantage of the opportunity rub elbows with pretentious academics. Granted, my college was relatively cheap (by some standards) with no loans needed. If all you want is a job, technical community colleges and specialty programs are a much better bet. I personally applied to grad school, realized how unpragmatic and expensive it would be, and said F this, I'm leaving the country and getting me a TEFL certificate. Still alive (I think).

Move to a country in which the process of applying to colleges is much easier.

Actually How do you apply to college in america?

Here you get one form in your last year of highschool. You get information on the courses you are interested in doing from colleges all over the country. Then you fill out the form with the courses you want to do in order of preference.

If you get enough points (through exams) to do your preferred one then you get it.

If you don't get enough points for your first choice, then you could get your second, third ..etc.

Easy. Right? :uhoh:

UCAS sucks :angry:

So does student finance too :angry:

A lot of people have issues with it.

UCAS is not fit for purpose, its worst than useless.
Well that's reassuring :cheesy:

I plan to go study in Scotland next year and the man from Heriot Watt University who came here to present it to us told us we'll need to use that website at some point this year in order to apply...fortunately the teachers said they'll do that procedure with us :anxious:

I'm applying to Birmingham, Manchester, Warwick, Bristol and... I haven't decided on my 5th choice yet :\

I wanted to apply to Manchester, then they increased the grades so I'd need an A in Bio :cry2:

I know I'm applying to Leeds, possibly Newcastle and Liverpool and some others idk yet

Anyone else applying to colleges this year? I'm overwhelmed with all the stuff to do :\

Any advice from those of you who are already in college as to the application process?

I applied to a lot of colleges last year, so I do understand how it can feel overwhelming when you're trying to do that while at the same time trying to balance school work and extracurricular activities. What I would advise is to make a list of the requirements and deadlines for each college and then prioritize based on the time you have left to do each application and also of course to what colleges you are most interested in. A list will help you keep organized so you don't forget to do anything and you can also track your progress. Many colleges use the common app so that may help in minimizing the amount of work you need to do in total but don't forget about supplements that a college may require. Many times the essays that are required by colleges may ask the same or similar questions so you can recycle some answers, but make sure that if a college asks something specific to their college (like their curriculum, standards, motto , etc.) that you are knowledgeable about it. If recycling essays, don't forget to edit and tweak it a bit to make sure you're talking about the school you're submitting the essay for. ( Don't put University A when you mean University B).

Manage the application process by devoting some time each day to the applications instead of doing it all at once so it doesn't feel as overwhelming. I don't know your day's workload and deadlines so I can't give more specific advice. Weekends are also great in catching up if you avoid distractions.

As for more advice on the actual application and essays, I'm not sure if you're asking for that or just for time management advice. If you'd like more suggestions, feel free to PM me! :)

Move to a country in which the process of applying to colleges is much easier.

Actually How do you apply to college in america?

Here you get one form in your last year of highschool. You get information on the courses you are interested in doing from colleges all over the country. Then you fill out the form with the courses you want to do in order of preference.

If you get enough points (through exams) to do your preferred one then you get it.

If you don't get enough points for your first choice, then you could get your second, third ..etc.

Easy. Right? :uhoh:

Same here. :nice:

I did a few courses at the University of Nottingham a couple of years ago. :wink3: Luckily, I didn't need to apply through UCAS!