✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Alt-J Δ

shred

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently was introduced to that "Something Good" song. Pretty good at first couple of listens but I'll have to look more into them before I have a solid opinion. I'm not sure how I feel about the name though...still, if the music's good the name shouldn't matter:shrug:

Have you heard Tesselate? It was the lead single I think, and it's pretty representative of the album IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
^The lead singer is from Southampton.

Except I don't know da fuq his accent is because none of us sound like that

It's weird because I've heard him talk in live videos and he sounds normal, it's just when he sings his voice is weird :wtf:

• 4 weeks later...

No, I agree with Jonny and the cake. Their combination of instruments, the voice, the variations in the songs and just the overall difference between the tracks through the album itself is something new. I can't even compare them and their sound to another band.

They're one of these bands lazily labelled as a "new Radiohead" or whatever, along with Django Django, Everything Everything and Foals before them, but I think Alt-J are easily the best of the current batch of "geek-indie" bands.

I used to be in a band with a guy who would only listen to music in weird time signatures, and could only appreciate stuff if it was clever. He used to spend ages writing such intelligent music, but it was rubbish because it had no soul to it. I feel like a lot of indie bands at the moment are trying to be really clever, like him, to compensate for the crassness of the last decade, ie. Pigeon Detectives, The Kooks, the landfill indie that borrowed Oasis and the Strokes.

Basically, there's music for the heart and music for the head, and I think Alt-J fall nicely in the middle. No, they're not unique, but for my money, they do what they do better than anyone else out there right now.

I don't think Everything Everything are anywhere near to Radiohead, I saw them live with Muse and they were a normal indie band at the beginning, nothing like Alt J or Radiohead

It's bollocks because no one really sounds like Radiohead, but there have been comparisons, I'm not making them up.

Geeky indie has been mentioned by the press, and the aforementioned bands have been lumped in. Alt-J, Django Django and Everything Everything are vaguely similar in that they share the same influences, and they try to do something similar with their sounds.

• 5 months later...

I have a problem I literally can not stop listening to Alt-J this is ridiculous. Thank u 4 this thread so I can cry about how good their album is.

Who has seen them live are they any good because I listened to some live concert recordings on spotify and to be honest it sounded really bad and I felt my heart break a little but I still adore them.

Saw them live at Laneway. They were great but their set was bogged down with technical errors. They had to stop their set for about 15mins to get their sound right again.

Even with that they still put on a damn fine show. They sound just as great on their album and if it weren't for the technical difficulties, it would have been better.

And I'm with you on not being able to stop listening to them. When I first discovered their album, I went through 2 months not listening to anything else. :P

Aw sweet! It's good to hear that they are decent live because those live recordings I heard were hilarious

BUT I RLLY NEED TO SEE THEM LIVE oh my god I'll probably cry I have a very unhealthy obsession with them I think but not quite because I don't even know any of their names or what they look like so maybe I'm still safe