✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Did Coldplay gain or lose fans with Mylo Xyloto?

guda4siempre

For some Coldplayers MX it's mainstream. But I didn't say that I thought that X&Y and Viva La Vida was mainstream. I really like those album and I really like some MX songs too! Don't be mad. Everyone can have their opinion!

I don't have an issue with people having any opinion whatsoever on the quality of the songs in MX. The part I find silly/confusing/annoying/etc. is the use of the adjective "mainstream" in relation to a band who's been at the forefront of mainstream pop music/cultural awareness for over a decade. I meant neither you nor anyone else any offense. :)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like MX, but if I had not already been a fan, I don't think I would have thought this album was very special. I wouldn't have become a fan from this album, but they definitely didn't lose me. Viva La Vida along with Chris' funny dancing, is what got me into Coldplay...I'm serious...:|

I don't have an issue with people having any opinion whatsoever on the quality of the songs in MX. The part I find silly/confusing/annoying/etc. is the use of the adjective "mainstream" in relation to a band who's been at the forefront of mainstream pop music/cultural awareness for over a decade. I meant neither you nor anyone else any offense. :)

That's fine :nice:

I guess I use a wrong adjective. ><

That's fine :nice:

I guess I use a wrong adjective. ><

Not so much wrong as misapplied I guess. IMHO for something not to be "mainstream" it has to exist is some kind of Niche. Coldplay have been one of the most popular pop/rock acts in the world since at least AROBTTH. Therefore, I don't get how people can possibly contend that there old songs weren't mainstream, but the new ones are, given that songs like Yellow, In My Place, and Clocks are pretty ubiquitous. It's like using "indie" as a genre descriptor, it means nothing in and of itself, and IMHO is pretty useless. That's what I was trying to get across.

Not so much wrong as misapplied I guess. IMHO for something not to be "mainstream" it has to exist is some kind of Niche. Coldplay have been one of the most popular pop/rock acts in the world since at least AROBTTH. Therefore, I don't get how people can possibly contend that there old songs weren't mainstream, but the new ones are, given that songs like Yellow, In My Place, and Clocks are pretty ubiquitous. It's like using "indie" as a genre descriptor, it means nothing in and of itself, and IMHO is pretty useless. That's what I was trying to get across.

Coldplay are mainstream, their albums are always promoted with the intention of going to number 1 in the charts. If Coldplay had never become mainsteam they would never have played all those fantastic arenas or stadiums across the globe. I agree songs like Yellow and Clocks are made for the masses, hence why they are still played on the likes of radio 1 in the UK and other big stations around the world. What I will say is that Coldplay, unlike other mainstream acts tend to have slightly more creativity about them which is not necessarily a dig, just a fact when you listen to such acts as Kesha or One Direction

They did gain and lost fans. Some of the new fans are ''false'' fans and others have come to know Coldplay through the new songs. They lost fans because their songs became to be too mainstream, too artificiel. When I heard ETIAW for the first time, I was not convinced at all. Today, I like MX era, but It's definitely not their best era.

There's only one thing that I don't like in this era; the VIP tickets (It was too expensive!!!).

:nod:

They probably gained a lot for Pardise and POC. At Copenhagen I was talking with some girls who clearly only were there because they were hoping Rihanna would come. :blank:

But I don't think they're gonna keep that kind of fans.

At Copenhagen I was talking with some girls who clearly only were there because they were hoping Rihanna would come. :blank:

But I don't think they're gonna keep that kind of fans.

^A friend who listen R&B and Hip Hop music, start to listen to Coldplay, just because Rihanna sang on POC. :facepalm:

and theres the problem you see. currently in the music industry "mainstream" is pretty vague. i agree you could always label their singles from the very beginning "mainstream" but their albums as a whole?! definitely not. and thats the difference between parachutes or a rush with MX.

back then all the teenagers who were there just for yellow or in my place or generally to just jump up and down and have a good time (nothing wrong with that) was far less than people similar to what you two describe above. i swear probably most of the people who turn up now for their live shows don't even know their pre-VLV stuff in its entirety. sure they've heard their singles but the rest...

i dont think they lost a great number of fans with MX. certainly not as many as they did with X&Y and VLV. they gained a HUGE following though. i mean gigantically huge! but i personally wouldn't call them fans. and if they carry on in the same direction as MX, which is pretty meretricious and lacks the musical depth some people look for, then trust me they'll be even bigger.

but if you've been a fan since the beginning and you're STILL following them after MX, you're faithful enough to stay a fan even after a collaboration with nicki minaj and her enormous bottom

I think we for sure gained lots of fans.

I think Coldplay lost some as well. Some people we're like "This sucks, I like the old music way better! I'm not listening to you anymore Coldplay!"

But if they said things like that then they obviously we're not true fans to start off with.

I love all the songs on MX. But I love all the older ones too.

of course they gain fans in my opinion,coldplay never gain more fans if they didnt be mainstream,if they were the same band they were in the past,they never grow in music popularity,like radiohead is,and i love MX era, if you dont like, respect,WHO thinks Paradise is a bad song?In my opinion this song is fantastic i love the symphony of this song,and others like Charlie Brown and DLBYH .That album shows how coldplay evolves musically.

Of course they gained fans. MX is the most approachable and pop-friendly album they've made. A casual listener can't tell the difference between any of the first four albums. Take it from my sister who said, "All their songs sound the same." But MX is the most different and the most mainstream, which is why it gained fans.

Of course they gained fans. MX is the most approachable and pop-friendly album they've made. A casual listener can't tell the difference between any of the first four albums. Take it from my sister who said, "All their songs sound the same." But MX is the most different and the most mainstream, which is why it gained fans.

and theres the problem you see. currently in the music industry "mainstream" is pretty vague. i agree you could always label their singles from the very beginning "mainstream" but their albums as a whole?! definitely not. and thats the difference between parachutes or a rush with MX.

back then all the teenagers who were there just for yellow or in my place or generally to just jump up and down and have a good time (nothing wrong with that) was far less than people similar to what you two describe above. i swear probably most of the people who turn up now for their live shows don't even know their pre-VLV stuff in its entirety. sure they've heard their singles but the rest...

i dont think they lost a great number of fans with MX. certainly not as many as they did with X&Y and VLV. they gained a HUGE following though. i mean gigantically huge! but i personally wouldn't call them fans. and if they carry on in the same direction as MX, which is pretty meretricious and lacks the musical depth some people look for, then trust me they'll be even bigger.

but if you've been a fan since the beginning and you're STILL following them after MX, you're faithful enough to stay a fan even after a collaboration with nicki minaj and her enormous bottom

let's hope it doesn't come to this... oh gawd...

*runs to toilet and vomits*

When I say "do you like Coldplay?"

I get

"I only like one song, think its called paradise"

When I ask that I usually get "Coldplay? Who the hell is Coldplay?"

And what's sad about that is that they know for songs like Paradise or Viva or Clocks but they don't know that they're Coldplay songs.

And what's sad about that is that they know for songs like Paradise or Viva or Clocks but they don't know that they're Coldplay songs.

When I talk to people like that I usually have to sing part of a song for them to figure out who I'm talking about. :facepalm: :uhoh: :blush:

When I talk to people like that I usually have to sing part of a song for them to figure out who I'm talking about. :facepalm: :uhoh: :blush:
I can't say that has never happened to me :shame:

I hate having to do that :lol:

Tbh, until about a year and a half ago, I knew basically all of their singles but didn't know it was Coldplay. Then when I started to really become a fan and listen to more and more of their songs I realized I knew quite a lot of them already. :shame:

My addiction started with VLV, but now it feels like I have been loving them for my whole life allready :D

(it is kinda unbelieveble but I hadn't heard of Coldplay before then, I really liked their music and was suprised when I was told that they are a giga famous world band :lol: now that seems so unreal :P) They are my first (music)love! :D

I hope lots of people found out Coldplay with MX and in a few years they will be 'old' fans too :D