✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Did Coldplay gain or lose fans with Mylo Xyloto?

guda4siempre

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously when you look at Chris's wife its hard to retain a sense of loyalty and connection with what the band represent, to be quite frank. And thats another thing, they really don't feel like a real band anymore. That is something that they desperately need to address more than anything and not begin to rest on their laurels. When they started off, they were less polished as an act but they you could at least call them a band; without being virtuoso, they were just four people playing music together and then they started using backing tracks in the music to the point where its at today.

I think its about time they bring it round now. They've experimented alot over the last 10 years and made alot of unique and fantastic music, now they need to start being that band we all grew to love 'all those years ago.'

This has needed to be said for a while now.

Obviously when you look at Chris's wife its hard to retain a sense of loyalty and connection with what the band represent, to be quite frank. And thats another thing, they really don't feel like a real band anymore. That is something that they desperately need to address more than anything and not begin to rest on their laurels. When they started off, they were less polished as an act but they you could at least call them a band; without being virtuoso, they were just four people playing music together and then they started using backing tracks in the music to the point where its at today.

I think its about time they bring it round now. They've experimented alot over the last 10 years and made alot of unique and fantastic music, now they need to start being that band we all grew to love 'all those years ago.'

This has needed to be said for a while now.

Define "real band" though. Sure they use recorded elements to supplement live performance, but so does virtually every arena level act I've seen live for the last 10 years or so. Sure, they're show is full of production and "gimmicks" now, but again, so are a lot of other shows. In a lot of ways, IMHO they're more of a "real" band now than they ever were back in the old days. They're better musicians both individually and as a group, super tight when playing together live, and have all evolved into great showmen. In addition, their newer music (again IMHO) actually features the talents of all FOUR members, as opposed to a lot of the early material that was primarily focused around Chris.

What you're talking about is merely that they've moved beyond your tastes, which makes them no more or less "real" than they ever were.

Define "real band" though. Sure they use recorded elements to supplement live performance, but so does virtually every arena level act I've seen live for the last 10 years or so. Sure, they're show is full of production and "gimmicks" now, but again, so are a lot of other shows. In a lot of ways, IMHO they're more of a "real" band now than they ever were back in the old days. They're better musicians both individually and as a group, super tight when playing together live, and have all evolved into great showmen. In addition, their newer music (again IMHO) actually features the talents of all FOUR members, as opposed to a lot of the early material that was primarily focused around Chris.

What you're talking about is merely that they've moved beyond your tastes, which makes them no more or less "real" than they ever were.

I think what you mean is that my tastes may have moved beyond the way that they have been making music more recently. I don't disagree with you but it still stand by what i said. If they want to break new ground and get anywhere artistically in the future, thats what they need to do.

I think what you mean is that my tastes may have moved beyond the way that they have been making music more recently. I don't disagree with you but it still stand by what i said. If they want to break new ground and get anywhere artistically in the future, thats what they need to do.

Now I'm confused. In your first post, you seemed to concede that they have experimented and/or grown over the course of there career. Is that not the definition of "breaking new ground"? Conversely, when you say they need to "get back to" something isn't that the very definition of recovering OLD ground?

true, coldplay changes constantly from album to album but in the big picture we're still waiting for their joshua tree or something. something that will be revered impactful and game-changing by critics and fans. viva la vida was perhaps the closest to that but not quite. i'm not saying they have to do something like that, it's become increasingly difficult to do it, but as a self-made biggest band in the world it's kinda their duty :shrug:

ps why are you in pain? :bigcry:

true, coldplay changes constantly from album to album but in the big picture we're still waiting for their joshua tree or something. something that will be revered impactful and game-changing by critics and fans. viva la vida was perhaps the closest to that but not quite. i'm not saying they have to do something like that, it's become increasingly difficult to do it, but as a self-made biggest band in the world it's kinda their duty :shrug:

If we're making comparisons, IMHO AROBTTH is Coldplay's Joshua Tree, in that it's the record that will go down in history as the epitome of their "classic sound" What they Haven't done yet is make their Achtung Baby, a record that truly breaks ground and redifnes not just them, but their genre of music as a whole.

ha! your waiting on critics, I doubt that is going to happen and if it did then Coldplay really earned it and I'll give them an applause for that one. And I don't think it is their duty to do so because of their label biggest band. They are that label because obviously people like them and the music they make. Their duty as artist is to please themselves first and in some cases only themselves because in reality you cant please everybody.

lol they gained...I'm the best example...welp.

I knew Coldplay from Viva La Vida and Yellow but I was not a fan, like I wasn't interested into their music in any way but I got a gift from my mom at my last year birthday (November 2011 it was). The gift was a card for my very favorite shop with CDs,books,films and stuff. Sooo I went there and completely didn't know what to take. I saw MX on all of the shelfs,everywhere with title "New!" or "#1", "Bestseller". I truly loved the cover,because of colours that are lovely and still I think that this graffiti is just oustanding. I thought "Wellp Coldplay is a good band, maybe I'm gonna like it, why not, lets try". So that way I bought my very first Coldplay CD + some books and Tony Bennett duets II (that I don't really like after all this time).

At first it was just like you say it is with those fans who know one song...yep I loved Paradise. But with time I fell in love with all of the songs and I downloaded all their previous CDs and EPs with the time. And after that I also bought the CDs because I believe in supporting artists that I adore and respect in that way. Then I realized they will have a gig in Warsaw and in everyday I was becoming more and more into Coldplay.

Haha I don't know if anybody read this story but I call myself a Coldplayer and really I think that you can become a fan because of Paradise. This song actually started everything for me.

^i like oldplay and newplay but they've hardly broken any ground, i'm still waiting for that

i prefer intricate, layered, electronic but they just can't do that

better keep it cute

(not a direct response to that post)

I don't know what you mean by breaking any ground(sorry I don't know a lot of expressions in English). Do you mean as in producing something new and unique like creating a new sound in music? Cause if that's what you mean then I don't think Coldplay has broken any ground at all. Their music has been influenced by other artists. And that's the same for the MAJORITY of artists, so I don't think it matters.

lol they gained...I'm the best example...welp.

I knew Coldplay from Viva La Vida and Yellow but I was not a fan, like I wasn't interested into their music in any way but I got a gift from my mom at my last year birthday (November 2011 it was). The gift was a card for my very favorite shop with CDs,books,films and stuff. Sooo I went there and completely didn't know what to take. I saw MX on all of the shelfs,everywhere with title "New!" or "#1", "Bestseller". I truly loved the cover,because of colours that are lovely and still I think that this graffiti is just oustanding. I thought "Wellp Coldplay is a good band, maybe I'm gonna like it, why not, lets try". So that way I bought my very first Coldplay CD + some books and Tony Bennett duets II (that I don't really like after all this time).

At first it was just like you say it is with those fans who know one song...yep I loved Paradise. But with time I fell in love with all of the songs and I downloaded all their previous CDs and EPs with the time. And after that I also bought the CDs because I believe in supporting artists that I adore and respect in that way. Then I realized they will have a gig in Warsaw and in everyday I was becoming more and more into Coldplay.

Haha I don't know if anybody read this story but I call myself a Coldplayer and really I think that you can become a fan because of Paradise. This song actually started everything for me.

Hahaha that's great. These are the kind of replies that I was expecting. I hope there's more people like you who became a fan.

I do think there are fans and "fake" fans. We have to be strict and look at the defintion of the term "fan", which is a person who becomes obssesed and is greatly devoted to something. I'm not trying to sound elitist or believe I'm better than someone by being a true fan of something, but I think some people misuse the term, or they aren't aware of its real meaning (those people who misuse the term are the "FAKE" fans). Anyhow, we should not judge a person if they are a truer fan or not (that's another subject).

For example: I like the beatles, I have some of their CDs but I don't fall in the definition of a fan. Same goes for other bands I like to which whom I don't consider myself a fan. I just like some of their music. Another example: There's only three songs I like by The Flaming Lips. Does that mean I'm a fan of them? I doubt it.

I just want to say that in every album for every band/singer, they lose fans whether the album is really good or really not. It all depends on a person's music taste.

I'm one of the fans who were gained (technically; see my signature) and I know some people who were lost. So, yeah, my two cents.

Change brings about change? That some change in composition 'style' brings about some change in the band's fanbase? (common sense o.o)
:rolleyes5: I felt dyslexic for a moment. Yeah of course change in style affects a band's fanbase. I remember the forum when ETIAW came out, it was a crazy discussion for coldplayers.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bit of both. I think ever since viva/MX era they've gained a lot of younger teen fans. Back at my first MX concert I July when I got upgraded to the front row, two girls kept asking the names of half the songs. I didn't mind telling them, but it just shows that a lot of their new fans don't know much of Coldplay beyond viva and MX eras.

I'm someone who was a young child when Coldplay was making Yellow, Clocks, Fix you and all that. I remember hearing these songs, but I didn't know who made them. I listened to classic rock, Beatles, QUeen, and all that... but I was on youtube and I decided to go and listen to Coldplay for no other reason but to figure out who they were. I think I knew Speed of Sound, but that's it. Obviously, I listened to paradise and bam, I got emerged into the band. But me being picky, after listening to the song a bunch of times, it got boring for me so I went back to the beatles.

I was searching something on youtube a few months later when I saw COLDPLAY LIVE ROCK IN RIO. I shrugged and thought, why not, and I heard the "YEAHH!!!" Of Chris Martin and the stunning melody of Mylo Xyloto and I was hooked. I went through every song on youtube of coldplay, bought all their stuff on iTunes later.

So yes, I know a lot of people who became fans. I also know a lot of old fans who are disapointed with MX. I am too, knowing what CP is capable of, but I'll always remember MX/HLH as my first real Coldplay moment.