Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Did Coldplay gain or lose fans with Mylo Xyloto?

guda4siempre

My addiction started with VLV, but now it feels like I have been loving them for my whole life allready :D

(it is kinda unbelieveble but I hadn't heard of Coldplay before then, I really liked their music and was suprised when I was told that they are a giga famous world band :lol: now that seems so unreal :P) They are my first (music)love! :D

I hope lots of people found out Coldplay with MX and in a few years they will be 'old' fans too :D

This is exactly the same thing that happened to me. I was singing Clocks in 3rd Grade (when I was about 8 years old), but I didn't really discover Coldplay until 5 years later!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they really lost that much fans, but I do think it's an album that unlike the others has it's flaws. The live experience was absolutely amazing and I've seen it 3 times, but as a whole , MX the album . I dunno , it could have been epic if they'd replaced a few songs with better and good old Coldplay songs (imo, POC, UIF, EveryTear,Paradise). Paradise is a great instrumental but I still think the lyrics and the chorus is too cheesy, Teardrop a great party song but let's face it the melody was copied (coldplay don't need to do that), UIF sounds unfinished and POC ..well fine could have been better but Rihanna+Coldplay that's band-image murder.

+The Hurts like heaven advert, I mean why, why !

They've probably gained some fans, but lost image. I think a lot of people now see them as a band that concentrates on the epicness of the show and selling lots of records not per-se the music.

I still absolutely love them and don't see them in this way, I support and love the music all the way but it's a shame they've lost a bit of integrity in my view.

Mylo Xyloto or not, Coldplay's popularity in the Philippines didn't really change that much. Or, I should say, they're really not popular here, which is kinda sad for me. Well, that's what I observed in the Filipino communities in the internet, which is pretty much totally clustered in Facebook.

Though, I should agree, Coldplay gained fans with this album. Superficial fans. The album even topped the iTunes charts. Rihanna was the key. RIHANNA WAS THE KEY. She was the sole reason the new guys bought the album. And Paradise as well.

Poor me being a lonely guy in our class when it comes to music.

I would say they are as popular in Denmark as they were at the time of Viva...perhaps a bit more considering the duet with Rhianna. My guess is that perhaps they might have gained more fans, but it´s hard to say. I hope that they have gained more fans obviously: more people enjoying our boys ´ fantastic music :)

If I didn't got that amazed at their gigs during the MX song I think I would have stopped loving them that much

but now I feel like I don't love them that much as when I became a fan, yes it's because of MX thanks Paradise, ETIAW and Rihanna :nod:

But I do keep following them so I think I'm just waiting for a better album now

Gained them because they're trying to broaden their audience to stupid tweens and angsty toddlers

oh men, has anyone noticed this? I mean, it's cool when people start liking coldplay, but when I see people that like justin bieber, one direction, katy perry and coldplay at the same time, I shudder. :wreck:

Before MX, their audience was the general populace, teens, adults, old fogies, soccer moms, gay people, straight people, and anyone with a radio.

Now their audience is the general populace, teens, adults, old fogies, soccer moms, gay people, straight people, anyone with a radio, and tripped-out rave kids on ecstasy.

So they gained tripped-out rave kids on ecstasy.

oh men, has anyone noticed this? I mean, it's cool when people start liking coldplay, but when I see people that like justin bieber, one direction, katy perry and coldplay at the same time, I shudder. :wreck:

This may be hard for some people to get their head around, but the thing of it is the general perception of Coldplay has always been being more like those manufactured pop acts than being a "real" band. It seems to me that most of the criticisms emerging from the band's fanbase in the MX era, are really just echoes of what other people always said about Coldplay. ;)

If I hear the word 'fake fan' on this forum one more time, I think I'll implode :bomb:

I know most of you were joking there, but I still can't believe some people actually believe in the concept of a 'fake fan', and that there are 'truer' Coldplay fans than others

These people will whine when Coldplay don't get enough attention, and when they do have a lot of attention, they will whine that there are too many 'fake' fans.

So what if people like Rihanna? Or if they've only heard Paradise? Can't you have respect for people who like all kinds of music?

Oh, I forgot, there's an objective musical ranking for music, and Coldplay are near the top, and "Kesha and One Direction" are at the very bottom. Therefore it's a disgrace if Rihanna or 'Nicki Minaj' fans like Coldplay, because Coldplay are so much better.

Not everyone's gonna listen to the entire discography of your band. Sure, it's a bit annoying when someone says they're a big fan of a band and they turn out to know a few songs, but who cares, really? Does it matter? They're happy with their music, and you're happy with yours, and Coldplay is happy at their success.

I hope the few of the people who actually have this elitist mindset will drop this attitude and have a little more respect for your fellow Coldplay fans. You don't have to like what they listen to, but at least give them respect. I'm getting tired of reading a thread on here and every single time there's a post of some smug kid talking about how great he is because he doesn't listen to One Direction like his peers, followed by his declaration of hatred towards Coldplay fans who don't know as many songs as him.

---

I think Coldplay has gained a lot more fans. The fans who stopped listening are irrelevant compared to the many many new fans they gained. And most of us pre-MX Coldplay fans still listen, regardless of what we think of the new album. I think it's crazy to force yourself to not listen to a band just because you don't like one album.

If I hear the word 'fake fan' on this forum one more time, I think I'll implode :bomb:

I know most of you were joking there, but I still can't believe some people actually believe in the concept of a 'fake fan', and that there are 'truer' Coldplay fans than others

These people will whine when Coldplay don't get enough attention, and when they do have a lot of attention, they will whine that there are too many 'fake' fans.

So what if people like Rihanna? Or if they've only heard Paradise? Can't you have respect for people who like all kinds of music?

Oh, I forgot, there's an objective musical ranking for music, and Coldplay are near the top, and "Kesha and One Direction" are at the very bottom. Therefore it's a disgrace if Rihanna or 'Nicki Minaj' fans like Coldplay, because Coldplay are so much better.

Not everyone's gonna listen to the entire discography of your band. Sure, it's a bit annoying when someone says they're a big fan of a band and they turn out to know a few songs, but who cares, really? Does it matter? They're happy with their music, and you're happy with yours, and Coldplay is happy at their success.

I hope the few of the people who actually have this elitist mindset will drop this attitude and have a little more respect for your fellow Coldplay fans. You don't have to like what they listen to, but at least give them respect. I'm getting tired of reading a thread on here and every single time there's a post of some smug kid talking about how great he is because he doesn't listen to One Direction like his peers, followed by his declaration of hatred towards Coldplay fans who don't know as many songs as him.

---

I think Coldplay has gained a lot more fans. The fans who stopped listening are irrelevant compared to the many many new fans they gained. And most of us pre-MX Coldplay fans still listen, regardless of what we think of the new album. I think it's crazy to force yourself to not listen to a band just because you don't like one album.

You got a point that made me ponder. I guess I need to start being more respectful to other people's music taste because If we are obejective, coldplay is also one of the most hated bands out there.

Before MX, their audience was the general populace, teens, adults, old fogies, soccer moms, gay people, straight people, and anyone with a radio.

Now their audience is the general populace, teens, adults, old fogies, soccer moms, gay people, straight people, anyone with a radio, and tripped-out rave kids on ecstasy.

So they gained tripped-out rave kids on ecstasy.

hah brilliant!

This may be hard for some people to get their head around, but the thing of it is the general perception of Coldplay has always been being more like those manufactured pop acts than being a "real" band. It seems to me that most of the criticisms emerging from the band's fanbase in the MX era, are really just echoes of what other people always said about Coldplay. ;)

very true. personally i can now see why the critics hate them so much and when you read some of their more thoughtful opinions on the band they make some valid points

---

yeah but thats the whole point of forums right?! heated discussions and all. people aren't suppose to agree or like each other on here cuz then it would be like a pensioners club. all nice and sweet

yeah but thats the whole point of forums right?! heated discussions and all. people aren't suppose to agree or like each other on here cuz then it would be like a pensioners club. all nice and sweet

That's right in whatever place, forum or not. As a matter of fact, that was what Dee was doing, expressing her opinion, which is in disagreement in relation to what a lot of people said (though I'm not saying that debates are made of people disagreeing with others just for the sake of it).

However, that doesn't mean it's right to be elitist and state that your music taste is better and that you're a "true fan" whereas others aren't.

I guess the better term for what people are saying here would be "temporary fans", more than "not true fans"

'I can magically deduct the course of events over time and whether these people will only be fans for a short while', said no-one ever.

---

You succinctly worded why this annoys the absolute shit out of me :thumbsup: it's just incredibly exclusionary which makes me agger

No...

I think you misunderstood what I said. I never said everyone should agree with each other all the time.

My post was about respect for other people. You can have a very strong opinion on something and argue it while still being respectful. Why the hell would I listen to someone's argument when they're calling me 'fake' and 'not a real fan' when I didn't even provoke them in the first place.

That's what I was trying to hit the nail on the head on: when we have discussions on here about Coldplay's success vs. their overall image (which is frequent), there is a group of people who like to turn against their own fanbase and imply that those people are worth less than themselves. The fact that someone would consider this a good argument and part of a civilized debate is laughable.