✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Imitation of the synths in Hurts Like Heaven

jaik

Hi Coldplayers,

I'm happy to join this great forum. For around one year I'm a passive reader.

I'm doing the 'Chris Martin part' in a coldplay coverband... but we are still in the founding process :). In my personal opinion, Hurts Like Heaven sounds a bit flat without the synths, coldplay uses during their performance...

Those that you can hear in the background fom 0:40 on:

youtube.com/watch?v=YXMfNOyFrgI

Founding the band was my idea... so it's on me to create a background track... challange accepted...

Finding out the synthesizer notes by ear wasn't a big problem. I imported HLH into my Logic 9 and created a VST track below, where I noted down the notes. Perhaps I'm not 100 percent right all the time, but could sounds fairly similar.

My huge problem is the sound of the synths, that I try to recreate. Every synth preset I am using in logic sounds like creepy midi.

Has anybody of you ever tried to recreate those synths and could give me perhaps some helpful advises where to start?

Thanks for your help!

Greetings from (still) snowy Germany,

jaik

First off, welcome to Coldplaying!

Second, the problem with the soundpacks and midi voices that the band uses are most of the time custom, and hard to recreate. The chords are mostly centered around Bb but that's all the know.

Just like Chris's GT-20, the sounds that he uses are not the ones pre-loaded onto the piano, rather ones that some one in the crew made and patched.

Hi,

thank you for your replies!

the problem with the soundpacks and midi voices that the band uses are most of the time custom, and hard to recreate. The chords are mostly centered around Bb but that's all the know.

Just like Chris's GT-20, the sounds that he uses are not the ones pre-loaded onto the piano, rather ones that some one in the crew made and patched.

Yep, you are completly right. I've the same "problem" with Chris piano...

But: I don't need to create 100% the same backing track. I would be happy if I could come close to the original... Most CP cover bands I saw on youtube didn't even get that :(

Id like to hear what you have. The best I could do was just cut the part out of the instrumental:

Hi Kyle, it's a pleasure to get in contact with you. I learned Christmas Lights by your youtube tutorial some months ago... thank you for that!

I'm interested from which instrumental version you got thoses synths :)

Here are the first parts of my notes that I wrote down by ear in my Logic... But as I said: The notes shall be more or less okay, but the sound is really scary :)

Id like to hear what you have. The best I could do was just cut the part out of the instrumental:

soundcloud.com/jaikill/synths-mx

Cheers,

Jan

Hi,

thank you for your replies!

Yep, you are completly right. I've the same "problem" with Chris piano...

But: I don't need to create 100% the same backing track. I would be happy if I could come close to the original... Most CP cover bands I saw on youtube didn't even get that :(

Hi Kyle, it's a pleasure to get in contact with you. I learned Christmas Lights by your youtube tutorial some months ago... thank you for that!

I'm interested from which instrumental version you got thoses synths :)

Here are the first parts of my notes that I wrote down by ear in my Logic... But as I said: The notes shall be more or less okay, but the sound is really scary :)

soundcloud.com/jaikill/synths-mx

Cheers,

Jan

I was confused for a second there on how you knew my name, but then I saw you learned Christmas Lights from me haha. Thanks I appreciate the positive comments! What you have is really close. I wish we could just get the multritracks for HLH. That would be awesome.

• 3 years later...

Hola, soy de Perú, La Primera Vez Que Escribo en el foro, Pero Desde Que él SIGUIENDO estado de hace mucho tiempoo. Yo ESTABA Trabajando en la imitación de los sintetizadores de "duele Como el cielo" y en el video Que comparto un Continuación PUEDE escuchar. Espero criticas Sugerencias y. ¡Saludos!

Hola, soy de Perú, La Primera Vez Que Escribo en el foro, Pero Desde Que él SIGUIENDO estado de hace mucho tiempoo. Yo ESTABA Trabajando en la imitación de los sintetizadores de "duele Como el cielo" y en el video Que comparto un Continuación PUEDE escuchar. Espero criticas Sugerencias y. ¡Saludos!

HERE!!!!