✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Your High School Experience

Spider-Man

I thought I would just ask what your high school experience is or was if you remember. Was it good, bad, enriching, pointless? Since I graduate Saturday, I must say time flew by faster than I thought. What comes to mind first when you think of high school?

I'm on the third year (two left), Time flew fast for me too, i still remember my first day of high school.

So, I lost all the interest for school, I'm studying just for grades and not because I like it, like I used to do in middle school, the only subjects that I still like is english, I'm the first in my class it makes me proud of myself, and philosofy but I started it just this year.

I hate half of my class, that half is made by stupid girls who spend all the day counting their hair, not kidding, and are always in trouble creating a bad reputation for the class.

This year they've created a fake facebook account for one of my classmates and started using it for mock people or say bad things, then my classmate found out about it and had to call the police.

The other half is made by my friends, simple, beautiful, nice and intelligent people.

So it's not hell like middle classes because I actually have friends (that surprises me too, every day), I do well with grades and I get along with most of my professors, but the problem is that half of the class, hopefully they will leave my class next year

Dreadful time overall. I had plenty of people to hang out with but was bullied occasionally and didn't find anyone I could properly talk to. Everything was very alpha male.

Didn't feel too bad whilst I was there, outside of the bullying, but in retrospect I'd never go back.

I'm in my third year too, and my high school experience has been great so far. I've been lucky to find myself in a class of really nice people and I'd say we are all friends at some extent. There have been some frictions among us recently, but we managed to sort all of them out.

There's been a time when I started to feel sad and to get not really good marks but luckily it lasted for only one month. I also get on well with all teachers and there isn't a subject I particulary dislike (except for PE maybe). So yeah, middle school was awful compared to high school

Congrats on graduation Keaton :hug::D

I have 15 days until I finish high school FOREVERRRRRR!!!! :omgomg:

I hated my time here (here referring to high school), ninety percent of the teachers have no respect for us students and rules are only applicable to us, not them. The other students here are complete idiots, the boys treat the women like meat and are very sexist, the girls don't help themselves by wearing shorts that are like underwear and little crop tops then acting stupid to get guys.

However, I have met a few great people here who I know I will stay in contact with at college. My friends are lovely and I'm glad I met them.

I haven't been bullied, I've had the odd name calling (sometimes I get 'grebo' which is like a goth mix skater and I used to get geek about once a year) but nothing more than that.

The teaching quality at my school isn't great (it's actually quite poor, I was being polite) so I've had a lot of hard work to do by myself.

But yeah... Overall it's the people that have affected my high school experience.

They're all trying to be indie, when none of them even know any indie bands and they think liking Wonderwall by Oasis makes them indie.... :| you see my problem.

Most of the girls are quite intelligent however act stupid to get with the 'cool' guys.

A girl in my year has a baby and is engaged, another is pregnant now and another girl is getting married next year.

I can't wait to say that I'm done here (15 more days, I'm counting) and start a fresh.

Still got 8 exams before its time to leave but I'm staying strong :lol:

Congrats! I graduate a week from Saturday :)

I guess my high school experience has been pretty good, nothing spectacular, but nothing terrible either.

I had one extremely bad teacher. :angry: And a large percent of my classmates are massive hypocrites who act like their honor scouts but in reality get drunk and get laid every weekend. :no:

I'm definitely ready to move on, but I'm scared too. :shrug:

I'm glad to get away from some of the people I've know for 13 years. :nod: I'm too self conscious :P

Congrats on graduation Keaton :hug::D

I have 15 days until I finish high school FOREVERRRRRR!!!! :omgomg:

I hated my time here (here referring to high school), ninety percent of the teachers have no respect for us students and rules are only applicable to us, not them. The other students here are complete idiots, the boys treat the women like meat and are very sexist, the girls don't help themselves by wearing shorts that are like underwear and little crop tops then acting stupid to get guys.

However, I have met a few great people here who I know I will stay in contact with at college. My friends are lovely and I'm glad I met them.

I haven't been bullied, I've had the odd name calling (sometimes I get 'grebo' which is like a goth mix skater and I used to get geek about once a year) but nothing more than that.

The teaching quality at my school isn't great (it's actually quite poor, I was being polite) so I've had a lot of hard work to do by myself.

But yeah... Overall it's the people that have affected my high school experience.

They're all trying to be indie, when none of them even know any indie bands and they think liking Wonderwall by Oasis makes them indie.... :| you see my problem.

Most of the girls are quite intelligent however act stupid to get with the 'cool' guys.

A girl in my year has a baby and is engaged, another is pregnant now and another girl is getting married next year.

I can't wait to say that I'm done here (15 more days, I'm counting) and start a fresh.

Still got 8 exams before its time to leave but I'm staying strong :lol:

Congrats! I graduate a week from Saturday :)

I guess my high school experience has been pretty good, nothing spectacular, but nothing terrible either.

I had one extremely bad teacher. :angry: And a large percent of my classmates are massive hypocrites who act like their honor scouts but in reality get drunk and get laid every weekend. :no:

I'm definitely ready to move on, but I'm scared too. :shrug:

I'm glad to get away from some of the people I've know for 13 years. :nod: I'm too self conscious :P

Oh congratulations you two! :) Hope it all goes well.

Thanks for sharing guys. It's interesting to see what different perspectives we have on our past/present school experience.

I've got one more year after this one (half of which will be here, the other half will be in Iceland...hopefully)

I love my school. i love my teachers and my friends. I'm in the hardest year of school right now and I'm really hating the pressure that it's putting on me. Last year I coasted through every class and still managed to get the highest marks, I can't do that this year...

I hate how it stresses me out but in turn this has helped me understand what I think I really want to do with my life.

First year was about getting over sentimental stuff from middle school, finally letting go of those fake friends that i had and making new, "true" ones. I finally got over my crush from middle school (boy that was a crazy story). Felt good.

My high-school crush was in my class that year :dazzled: I realized just how attractive and great he was too late and he got a girlfriend before i had the chance to try anything :disappointed:

I was addicted to Friends (seriously addicted, I'd watch 3 episodes a night during the week, and then like 5 episodes a day on week-ends). At home things were a bit difficult for several reasons.

Second year was when i met my best friends :dazzled: I had so much fun with them, easily my best year in high school thanks to that. We had a really big project to do all year, in small groups. I was with 2 friends and we really had great memories of freaking out over it :lol: At home we went through heavy stuff, different than the year before but still difficult.

3rd and last year (in France high school lasts 3 years) was okay I guess. We were all scared about our final exam, graduation and what would happen next. I still had fun with my friends and I do have some fun memories.

I was considered kind of a nerd, i was called names, because of my grades and how important i thought studies were, but i was never actually bullied like what you hear in America for instance.

People have always defined me through my grades and i was still obsessed with the fear that if for once i'd get a bad grade, people will kinda laugh and be shocked and be all: "ohmygoooood Céline what happened ??!!! :o" (i was traumatized by this when i was 8, and it hasn't left me since)

I wasn't among the popular ones but i slowly learnt that it was okay not to be popular (which is something i would say but never truly believe i guess) as long as you have a few real, close friends.

I've always lived in the future or in the past and I kinda regret not living to the fullest and not going out much.

Oh and high school was when I got addicted to other tv shows than Friends. Since then I've been following like 12 shows all year long :|

I don't think high school was the "time of my life", and I've never thought it would be. As I said I've kinda always lived in the future, i always plan things like 2 years ahead (for instance i decided on my studies at the beginning of high school: my plan for university was made back then :lol: ), and I've always had the feeling that "my time" would come at university or right after that. At the time I didn't realize that it's no reason to neglect what's happened before, because it's all those experiences that actually get you eventually where you're supposed to be. (does that make any sense ? if you watch how i met your mother then you're the kind of people who probably understands :lol: ...ugh, see, series addict!!)

And ohmygod, last year of high school, during the spring, was when Coldplay started teasing about ETIAW :awesome: I followed that closely and started to get info on the band members and stuff like that. And I was hooked :lol:

High school is 5 years here in England, year (or grade) 7 to 11, we finish age 16, some who are the younger ones of the year (including myself) finish when they're 15 :P

But then we have college or sixth form for 2 years and then university :)

High school is good. Middle school was shitty, I rarely got directly bullied but there was so much drama and animosity that a lot of people didn't like me, just because I hung out with X or Y, or because I got a good grade and they didn't, everyone just needed a reason to hate. Right before I graduated there was some sort of drama going on and it caused every single friend I had (apart from just one) to not talk to me anymore and start to bully me, I never understood why but it made me scared of going outside and making friends my age for nearly two years

And I used to love learning but every subject got so unbearable and I just stopped trying.

High school is much better. I was judgmental at first because of my social problems (that got much worse with a year of home schooling) but when I learned to come out of my shell I found that I was welcomed, I finally belonged and not in just some gang-type thing where you make fun of other people and they bully you, you just fit in with everyone and it's all so open.

Nobody at my school gets bullied really, and there's barely a concept of cliques or close-knit circle of friends. I don't even go to a fancy school hahah. It's a very refreshing feeling.

Earlier this year I tried taking the same classes as my old middle school crowd, and found that nearly all of their teachers are so full of shit, it's like they breed this type of personality in the classes, I had a teacher who quite often made explicit remarks about students on campus and handicapped people behind their backs (If Mr. ___ is so smart, why doesn't he know how to walk?), and there were still the same kind of people making each other cry and behaving like they were still 13. It's so full of shit and I'm glad I've distanced myself from it.

I don't feel like I'm gonna miss high school though, because that would kind of imply that things will get worse and I want to regress to the past. I just feel a sense of optimism, it's only gonna get better

I know probably no one cares about my life story but there you go :)

Congrats to all of you who are graduating

I can't help but think that if somebody loved it they either live in a very tolerant society, posses a certain level of evil to get on with such a large group of adolescents (and all the crap that goes with that) or they are just super cool enough to win everyone round.

Unless I'm missing another element to my hypothesis.

^ The other element would be that they found a few very good friends which made the whole experience worth it ?

That'd require a tolerant society though. In my country at least, it's not enough to have a few friends, everyone interacts with each other and if you aren't the same as others you receive hostility. And generally, in a school, there are enough people there to ensure there'll be hostility from someone.

Yeah but (From what I gathered) perhaps having a few very good friends made the hostility worth it? Like obviously there's different levels of hostility/bullying but if you acknowledge that as a downside to that period, but the friends you had still made high school overall a very enjoyable experience and loved it.

Well, sure, at that age most friendships are like that. Honestly I don't think that when you're a kid and a young teenager you can really expect to have a mature friendship that is fulfilling in the long run. I mean as a teenager I don't really care if a friendship is fulfilling in the long run. I don't want to hear about long run and commitment. That's for adults. I want to have fun, to enjoy good times, to be able to trust my friends and feel like I can tell them most things. Just going through the teenage years together is really hard enough, i wouldn't have asked for much more.

It doesn't have to be commitment. It just has to be something past homophobia, juvenile remarks, a lack of understand of ones impact on others and pop culture.

I get your concern about homophobia and maybe juvenile remarks, but most people learn with time about the rest. It's what high school is about. I just don't think we should expect people to have already figured that out when they're like 15 or 16. That's exactly the time where they are figuring out, and it can be a long process. It's different for everybody I guess.

It doesn't have to be commitment. It just has to be something past homophobia, juvenile remarks, a lack of understand of ones impact on others and pop culture.

You take all the fun out of ignorance. :(

I graduated from high school a few years ago. i must say that i enjoyed my first year (freshman year). i met some really nice people. the subsequent years i hd to focus on graduating and i had a bunch of tests and exams to pass. sometimes i think about high school but i'm not really sure if i'd like to go through that again.

and as for homeschooling, i think it's not so bad. i used to homeschool too and i must say that i learnt a lot and it really "conditioned" my study skills. i still use them now that i'm in uni.