✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mixtape Exchange XV (Summer edition)

Wyrd

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for being late :wreck:

Nah, it's cool. You're clearly a busy guy.

My mixtape was entitles "Sounds That People Make." Already I knew that most of the songs in this collection wouldn't be mainstream-well known songs, but rather, songs that have a special/unique feel.

By coincidence many of the tracks I had picked out were in a foreign language or used a bunch of voice samples, so I tried to run with that idea.

1. Foreign ballard, vintage feel (crackling), peaceful.

I stumbled across Lucienne Boyer while trying to find 1920s period music to go with a 'murder mystery' english lesson I had to teach. Love the timbre of her voice.

2. Interesting opening (guitar delays) - proceeds into techno.

Aminals by Baths. I thought children making animal noises throughout would fit the theme.

3. A sustained note, sounds hallow, very relaxing; ambient noise.

Surprised and pleased that you singled this one out. It's by Aus, the shiest, cutest, humblest asian guy I've ever had the fortune to meet.

4. Sounds like people banging on homemade pot-drums, "Take time," very intriguing, story being told.

The Books. It's been a while since I've left them off a tape. I enjoy them because you're not just soaking up one person, but a weirdly scattered abundance of humanity.

5. "Uh uh oh?" is being repeated, builds into a mesh of guitar, percussion, and vocals.

"We made our own government' by Lucky Dragons. It took me at least a hundred listens to realize that the voices were singing the title of the song.

6. Another foreign ballard, reminds me of a classic 1960s film.

A composition by Germaine Tailleferre also from 1920s France that I found on an anthology of Les Six. I love how the accompaniment keeps changing around the melody during what you might call the "chorus". Were you thinking of any film in particular?

7. This track gives me a 90s vibe for some reason. The singer is singing so quietly it's really hard to make-out what he is saying.

1988, close enough. :P This is an early My Bloody Valentine track called 'Cigarette in your Bed'.

8. This track was very trippy to listen to. Two men are conversing and...a lot of random things are happening in the background.

DJ Koze, though the vocals are by Daniel Snaith (Caribou).

9. String orchestra; interesting, there's a man proclaiming his issues and men are yelling at him.

Haha, pretty much. It's actually just the one guy, Owen Pallett (here under the moniker 'Final Fantasy'). He uses a loop pedal for his live show.

10. Interesting piano loop. Keeps me occupied as I try to envision how the loop was made.

Thom Yorke off of his first solo project. Glad you like it.

11. Is this Florence + The Machine? Soothing guitar plucking.

This is Daughter off of one their E.P.'s.

12. A lot of cymbals playing in between a piano riff a guitar chord; very fast paced.

Initially afraid this might be too chaotic, it's called 'Sukiyaki to Die For' by Co La.

13. Guitar plucking with drums. I enjoy this song very much.

Lull by Andrew Bird. Thanks, I love the lyrics.

14. As, good ol' synthesizers. "Michael" is being repeated. Sounds like something GLaDos would sing if Chell was a guy.

I don't know who either of those are, haha. I guess I'll check them out after this. It's 'Michael A Grammar' by Broadcast.

15. Very hard to keep time with this piece, very interesting rhythm.
Recent Jon Hopkins, yeah the changes keep you on your toes.

16. Never heard of this band before. Very soothing and calming harmonics.

Does that mean you knew some of the other bands? It's Benoit Pioulard (real name is Tom). He does a lot of ambient music as well.

17. Starts with a simple drumming pattern that builds into a large band. I would like to know the band :wacko:

Lykke Li!

18. Mellow-rockish...Feels like one of those insert movie songs that follows the after-math of an epic house party.

I like the mental image. I've been trying to fit this into a tape for years. It's 'Stanley Kubrick' by Mogwai.

19. Simple synth progression, but great vocals; very unique.

I hope you die. Sorry, that's the name of the song. The band is Wye Oak. Glad you like it!

20. Very simple synth progression with faded vocal lines. Sounds like this song is from a movie.

This is from the first Eluvium album, the track is called 'There wasn't anything'. I suppose this mix could just as easily have had a death or solitude theme.

21. A very soothing foreign piece of music. Gives me a French and Italian vibe. Great closer.

I stayed with my German relatives last Christmas, and my uncle kept playing an amazing Georges Moustaki record while telling me anecdotes about the songs. This is perhaps his most famous tune called 'Ma Solitude'.

Overall verdict: This mixtape does live up to it's title of being a collection of "Sounds that People [do] make." Every song is unique and while some songs overlap due to the instruments and techniques used, each song has a unique sound. While most of these songs I will not be returning to because they're somewhat out of my comfort zone, that doesn't mean they will be deleted from my infinitely expanding music library. It was a pleasure listening to this mixtape on my train ride home from work.

Considering how many times I listened to this tape on my way home from work, hoping that everything 'worked', this means a lot. Thanks for your honest review, it was well worth the wait.

Tracklist:

1. Parlez Moi D'Amour - Lucienne Boyer (Parlez Moi D'Amour)

2. Aminals - Baths (Cerulean)

3. Different Sky - Aus (Light in August, Later)

4. Take Time - The Books (The Lemon of Pink)

5. We Made Our Own Government - Lucky Dragons (Rara Speaks)

6. Chansons Populaires Francaises - Germaine Tailleferre

7. Cigarette In Your Bed - My Bloody Valentine (You Made Me Realize EP)

8. Track ID Anyone? - DJ Koze feat. Caribou (Amygdala)

9. Many Lives -> 49mp - Final Fantasy (He Poos Clouds)

10. The Eraser - Thom Yorke (The Eraser)

11. The Woods - Daughter (His Young Heart)

12. Sukiyaki To Die For - Co La (Moody Coup)

13. Lull - Andrew Bird (Weather Systems)

14. Michael A Grammar - Broadcast (Tender Buttons)

15. Form By Firelight - Jon Hopkins (Immunity)

16. Lasted - Benoit Pioulard (Lasted)

17. Dance, Dance, Dance - Lykke Li (Youth Novels)

18. Stanley Kubrick - Mogwai (EP+6)

19. I Hope You Die - Wye Oak (My Neighbor/My Creator EP)

20. There Wasn't Anything - Eluvium (Lambent Material)

21. Ma Solitude - Georges Moustaki

http://www.sendspace.com/file/h56h9d

Tracklist:

5. We Made Our Own Government - Lucky Dragons (Rare Speaks)

nice tape! :wacky:

Nah, it's cool. You're clearly a busy guy.

By coincidence many of the tracks I had picked out were in a foreign language or used a bunch of voice samples, so I tried to run with that idea.

I stumbled across Lucienne Boyer while trying to find 1920s period music to go with a 'murder mystery' english lesson I had to teach. Love the timbre of her voice.

Aminals by Baths. I thought children making animal noises throughout would fit the theme.

Surprised and pleased that you singled this one out. It's by Aus, the shiest, cutest, humblest asian guy I've ever had the fortune to meet.

The Books. It's been a while since I've left them off a tape. I enjoy them because you're not just soaking up one person, but a weirdly scattered abundance of humanity.

"We made our own government' by Lucky Dragons. It took me at least a hundred listens to realize that the voices were singing the title of the song.

A composition by Germaine Tailleferre also from 1920s France that I found on an anthology of Les Six. I love how the accompaniment keeps changing around the melody during what you might call the "chorus". Were you thinking of any film in particular?

1988, close enough. :P This is an early My Bloody Valentine track called 'Cigarette in your Bed'.

DJ Koze, though the vocals are by Daniel Snaith (Caribou).

Haha, pretty much. It's actually just the one guy, Owen Pallett (here under the moniker 'Final Fantasy'). He uses a loop pedal for his live show.

Thom Yorke off of his first solo project. Glad you like it.

This is Daughter off of one their E.P.'s.

Initially afraid this might be too chaotic, it's called 'Sukiyaki to Die For' by Co La.

Lull by Andrew Bird. Thanks, I love the lyrics.

I don't know who either of those are, haha. I guess I'll check them out after this. It's 'Michael A Grammar' by Broadcast.

Recent Jon Hopkins, yeah the changes keep you on your toes.

Does that mean you knew some of the other bands? It's Benoit Pioulard (real name is Tom). He does a lot of ambient music as well.

Lykke Li!

I like the mental image. I've been trying to fit this into a tape for years. It's 'Stanley Kubrick' by Mogwai.

I hope you die. Sorry, that's the name of the song. The band is Wye Oak. Glad you like it!

This is from the first Eluvium album, the track is called 'There wasn't anything'. I suppose this mix could just as easily have had a death or solitude theme.

I stayed with my German relatives last Christmas, and my uncle kept playing an amazing Georges Moustaki record while telling me anecdotes about the songs. This is perhaps his most famous tune called 'Ma Solitude'.

Considering how many times I listened to this tape on my way home from work, hoping that everything 'worked', this means a lot. Thanks for your honest review, it was well worth the wait.

Tracklist:

5. We Made Our Own Government - Lucky Dragons (Rara Speaks)

Ah so it was you good sir! You have a very interesting taste in music my friend, very unique. I actually only knew of Jon Hopkins and I only know Light Through the Veins hahaha. Thanks for the music!

Finally, here's my reply. That's a thing artists don't get to do when NME or Pitchfork makes a destroying review :P but don't worry, I am not harsch or anything

Summer Hits, eh? Don’t let the title fool you. It ain’t that great. I’m not sure if the Coldplaying mixtape exchange has had that many negative reviews, but there’s one thing for sure. This one’s going to be negative! I’m gonna go Pitchfork.com on this mixtape’s butt! I sort of saw this coming, actually. Being a very anti-1980s person, when I looked at the artwork and title, I said to myself, “Oh no”. To be fairly honest, I was expecting some pretty terrible stuff like late-1980s synth-pop and disco, but thankfully to the mercy of the mixtape creator, I wasn’t subjected to that!

However, I was given something unusual: songs that really aren’t summer hits. Half of the mixtape is really down in the dumps and un-interesting. There’s some that are somewhat terrible, and one or two that are actually pretty cool tracks! But, overall, it’s another case of the good, the bad and the really ugly.

I already had the idea of making a mixtape with summer songs before I knew who would receive my tape. Then I saw that you are from the southern part of the atmosphere and started to doubt about going through with it. Thought it shouldn’t be a problem because even though you’re in winter now, you might still feel the summer vibe. That part already failed, hahaha! Maybe because the feeling doesn’t work that well when you’re in winter setting or maybe because with some songs I have that summer feeling attached to it, but that doesn’t make it a summer song. Well, for me they are all summer hits. Also the title is cheesy, yep, I did it on purpose. I thought it wouldn’t negatively affect you since you seem to have an open mind with things, I mean, you don’t mind showing here that you love My Little Pony. That’s worth something, because short-minded people would already fall over that.

It’s funny you got a 80’s vibe because none of the songs are from the 80’s. Most are from this year. Yet I have to admit that I particularly like some of those songs because of their 80’s vibe. So I can see where your comment comes from. A good example of the 80’s sound is the first song which breaths the 80’s so hard that many confuse this album and song with something that The Cure must have made in the 80’s. This is a song from 2013 though. And this album is all about summer, though it has bit of this melancholia/darkness in it. Probably because they are Swedish. They are from the same part of the world as the next artist … which you guessed right, because that is indeed Mew. In Scandinavia winters are dark, cold and depressing. It’s what makes them appreciate summer so hard and their summers are cool but with a lot of light. I notice now that most of the artists on my tape are Scandinavian. Oi, that might also have to do with the dark and down elements in it. Hm, at least others on the board agreed with me that the first song has the summer vibe going on (see e.g. this post).

I spoilered the track-by-track part because it's loooong!

Track-by-Track:

The first track starts off with a synth like I’ve been transported to the 1980s. That’s nice! I partially don’t like this song, because it really throws itself off the balance all the way through. I’m going to go ahead and assume you’ve mixed three or four songs together on one track. Sigh. The song’s don’t even match one another! The first “song” sounds like something that came out of a session with A Flock of Seagulls and Duran Duran. It’s got a good vibe, but extremely boring after two minutes.

Yeah I mixed them together because it’s a mixtape :( It was not to try to emphasize their match, but just to give it a bit more of a mixtape idea (and because I had troubles with removing the covers as you have noticed). The flow was supposed to get better this way, but I see now that I also failed with this one.

The first song is from The Mary Onettes and was released only this year. To me it seemed the perfect start of a summer mixtape also with those seagulls at the coast included :P

Then it transitions into another “song” that starts off with a catchy drum beat then explodes into an awesome alt rock spectacle. Probably the best point on this mixtape! It sounds like something Birds of Tokyo or Mew would do. It probably is a Birds of Tokyo or Mew song, since I’m only a fan of both their latest works, so I wouldn’t know their earlier works. Sounds very much like Mid-2000s rock, so this is where I place my bet. It’s either a Birds of Tokyo or Mew song!
Yep this is Mew, but I am surprised you don’t know the song as you state that you’re only a fan of their latest work. This is from their latest studio album :S. Mew’s version of a summer song, which is why it’s called Hawaii. Despite of them never have been to Hawaii they thought it would reflect the idea behind the song because with the word Hawaii alone people already have the association of an ideal and summery vacation island. You know, white beaches, palm trees … much like the cover of the mixtape. It’s a warm summer evening (except it’s not, the picture was taken between Christmas and New Year :P). They tried to put summer in the song with the typical percussion. I’m glad you thought the drumming was catchy, because that’s what makes the song for me too!

The third “song” throws me into early-2010s “rock”, with what sounds like yet another European-sounding singer on top of generalized, indistinguishable noise. It’s good for me that I keep the volume to a minimum. Didn’t Shoegazing die a decade ago? This type of music shouldn’t even be played anymore, yet nearly everything that comes out of northern Europe, which is where I assume this act is from, is just another artist attempting to bring Shoegazing back. I’ve got news for ya’ people: the great Sigur Rós had a Shoegazing debut. It was called Von, and it was terrible. What did they do? They tried to do something else, and made one of the greatest music discographies ever made. To those people I say: try something else. We don’t want the same Shoegazing rubbish over and over again. Please! Okay, next track:
It’s indeed European and with shoegaze influences. They are the Danish Scarlet Chives and their second album will come out this year! Too bad you don’t like the genre. I love Von, hahaha, for me it was Valtari where they lost me. Luckily they came back with Kveikur, which is in my top of 2013. As is the album where the next song was drawn from.

Who brought in country to a Summer Hits album? The track starts off with a wild-west vibe, and then brings in the voice of a very calm and relaxed man. One of many contradictions to the Summer Hits title! Just like the first song on the first track, if that makes sense, it’s just another 3-4 minutes that goes on at the same level, without any climax or emptiness. Another bore-fest I presume. Next track, please!
It was the calm and relaxed man and the wild-west vibe that gave me the feeling of a nice song played at a campfire on a summer night. This is not regarded country, but some folk indie. It’s Folly and the Hunter with How it came down. Their whole album is nice like this. Or … completely boring if it is not your cup of tea, hahaha!

Sounds like someone’s been experimenting too hard! Sounds like Birdy on Acid. But I don’t like Birdy that much anyway, so it makes the track even less of a standout than what it seems to me; yet another bore-fest.
Still Corners with Fireflies. Got to know it because it got so hyped on the hypemachine. Lovely track. To me it sounds very peaceful rather than someone on acid :/ I guess that’s also what makes it boring to you. This is also from one of my favourite albums of this year.

What. WHAT. What is this? What... I don’t even...

I can see where you got the Summer Hits title at least, because somebody forgot to remove the artwork off this track! Foute Zomer Hits the album is called; probably another one of those rip-off compilation albums wanna-be “record companies” put out from time to time. The song, is... I don’t know how to describe it. Definitely sounds like the stuff that they play on summer afternoons endlessly in the 1980s. It’s garbage. The United Nations has a international protocol of banned types of torture. Sticking bamboo sticks under a prisoner’s fingernails is one; Waterboarding and Lynching is another. Making them listen to this song has to be another one. It’s probably the song the Jamaicans blast endlessly on their quest to invade the United States, where they ultimately fail, because the U.S. Army has endless pairs of Noise-cancelling headphones, but hey, that’s just my opinion!

Hahahaha! So harsch :P I didn’t forget to remove the cover but somehow it got back? I replaced it with the cover I made. Too bad it got back. Next time I will recode all the songs as I did with some of them.

You’re totally right about the “rip-off compilation albums wanna-be “record companies” put out from time to time”. This is one of the songs that always makes the cut when Dutch companies want to make a summer hit album. “Foute” is Dutch for ‘wrong’ or ‘bad’, hahaha! It’s like one of these guilty pleasures that you either love or hate. I love it and I see you hate it. It is a 70’s song and the biggest hit of Earth and Fire (not to be confused with Earth, Wind & Fire). It’s the marimba that makes it very summery :)

Too bad that that disappeared in the remake of Scooter (German techno band) somewhere in the 90’s. That one became a hit as well but is not timeless as the original version of Earth and Fire.

Another mixed track; this time two instead of three!

The first “song” is Calming. Very calming, considering my rage from the last track! Sounds like a very cool traditional song from the Pacific or somewhere. It’s got a haunting, yet, attractive vibe against a backdrop of very radiant emptiness. This track has really good production! For the first time in this mixtape, I have a smile on my face! This track is absolute brilliance! Tell me who made this and what it’s called! It’s so cool! It’s the absolute best on this mixtape!

Yet another Danish production. This is When Saints Go Machine with the title track of their album Konkylie. The song is also a perfect transition to the next song on their album. But I thought one song would be enough to make you either love or hate them. This song imo is one of the few songs I put on the tape that doesn’t have a summery vibe. They also come with a new album this year :)

Second “song”; meh. After the first “song”, I was so pumped up, but now I’ve been let down again. Florence Welch impersonator? It’s definitely not Florence, because I know all of Florence and the Machine’s songs off Lungs and Ceremonials. It’s a song that confuses itself. Is it trying to be a passionate and uplifting song, or just another dance beat? Don’t know. Neither does the artist apparently. What’s next?
Nice that you compare her with Florence. I think that they are both powerful singers and that’s mostly why I like this band very much. I don’t think that the song tries to be uplifting. To me it sounds very sad, but yeah, the beat might give another impression, I agree with that. They are an electronic band as the song shows. I think the singer is so talented that she can easily move on to another genre. Symphonic rock would suit her very well I think.

This is also from a 2013 release, as is the next song.

Somebody forgot to remove the artwork from this one as well, and it’s an artwork I could recognize straight away! But I don’t mind, I would’ve got this one anyway! Finally, a song I know! It’s “The Line” by Mood Rings off the ambitious VPI Harmony album that was released not too long ago, actually! “The Line” is a very calm and moody song that really makes you fly high. It’s got a great atmosphere, and it’s a good song to have on repeat if you’re bored. Their music is nothing short of interesting. They’ve definitely got the sound they need – slow and smooth, and nobody has come close to what Mood Rings had made in a very long time. It’s sort of a Parachutes debut: safe and not too out-there, which is a type of debut that works. It worked with Coldplay and with Muse (Showbiz), it could easily work with these guys, and I wish them well in the future!
Yups, Mood Rings is fantastic, aren’t they? Just like the first song on the mixtape this guy(s) released an album this year that thrives on the 80’s sound. Funny how you were completely bored with The Mary Onettes but that you love Mood Rings. Maybe because The Mary Onettes sound too much like it could be from the 80’s while Mood Rings used it more as a core to build around. The rest of the Mood Rings album is also great, yet again one of my favourite albums of this year! Glad to see that you like it and that Mood Rings already has another fan here on the board :wacky:

Kanye West production much? It’s another bore-fest, with autotune! Yay.... I think? It’s not too exciting, much like half this mixtape so far. Gees, these songs are making me run out of things to say.....
I have no clue if Kanye West was involved :S This is JJ with the title track of their EP High Summer. The EP is nothing special, but nevertheless I like to listen to it. I thought it would fit nicely on a summer mixtape.

This one’s got violins, and a billion other instruments, and even sounds like something Enya would do. Wouldn’t say it’s on the same level as Enya, though. It’s not another bore-fest, definitely not, but it just doesn’t really, go anywhere. It presents itself as a very mystical and fantasial song, but doesn’t meet up to expectations. It wants to be a hymn, but isn’t really. Next Track.
This is Enya, hahaha! And this is regarded as one of her best songs. She won a Grammy award with this for best New Age album. I adore this song and the album. Carribean Blue just is sooo smooth and perfect and ah! One of my favourite songs of ever made!

Well, that escalated quickly! This one has an actual drumbeat! Something I haven’t actually heard before for the last half-hour listening to this mixtape! It’s got a rocking vibe, and it doesn’t sound half bad! I don’t have anything much to say about this track other than it’s pretty cool, but not brilliant; although, I can’t help but complain about the abrupt cut at the end of the track. I would assume that the album this track was originally off was a gapless mix, and this song was meant to segue into the next track, but thanks to great production skills, it just cuts off, and the next track just plays. At least put a fade out on this track! Anyway, final track!
Ah no, that’s just how the song is. I was thinking of mixing it with another song, but ran out of time so left it like this. It is supposed to follow up immediately with the next song. Which is the way it sounds also with the other song that on moi Caprice ’s album comes after this track. I think I had a moi Caprice song before on a mixtape. I love this band (yet another Danish band :uhoh: ) and they have a nice way of making dramatic songs with a light ending. This one is also lyrically strong, it’s about how he sees the light at the end of a troublesome relation and sees it will all turn out fine.

Yet another bore-fest! Perfect way to end this mixtape, don’t ya think! But, hey, at least it’s got a drumbeat, I guess; so much for Summer Hits, eh? The song has this annoying corrupt electronic noise in the background that I assume is the guitar, but why would you use a guitar like that? I honestly don’t know. I’m assuming whoever made this track is attempting Post-rock, but this isn’t Post-rock, silly! Mogwai and Sigur Ros are good examples of Post-rock. They actually do use the guitar for timbre and texture, unlike these guys who literally take the guitar for granted. The song lobs off on a dying synth, thus ends the mixtape.
The corrupt noise in the background is synths but yeah they like to play synths as if they are other instruments. The same with the ‘drumbeat’, it’s more an electronically generated beat than anything else. Live they also play with loads of keyboards, hahaha! They are yet another Danish band, Spleen United, and this is song I find sooo relaxing and chill. I don’t think they went for the post-rock genre, they are really electronic but they don’t mind making longer songs than your standard 4 minute track (they even made one of 24 hours! Parts of it they released as ‘From Sunset To Sunset’). To me this song has the same chill thing going on as the Enya track before though they are completely different genres and this one has indeed a drumbeat going on, hahaha. I also love how this track floats away in the end. Leaving me with a nice peacefully feeling at the end of the mixtape but I can imagine that for you it is that what makes you bored and unsatisfied after listening to the whole mixtape. Well, maybe others like it more or they want to listen to it for the sake of laughing their asses off. To check if it’s really that bad or because they got curious for some songs. Here’s the link:

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|962p6|3619014459|Summer.rar|101625|0|0|1|referer-2C43831D6047B8445D0F7654DF137BB7

Conclusion:

For an entire 50 minutes, I was subjected to the worst, the best and the downright dull and uninteresting. I have to give the mixtape creator some credit: This was a very unique experience, just not, a very good experience. It was like I was on a scary LSD trip. Sometimes there was some amazing moments, sometimes there was pretty scary stuff, and sometimes there was just pitch black. For an album that calls itself Summer Hits, i honestly don’t think any of these songs could be played on the radio, let alone be summer hits. I’m sorry, but I was expecting much more with that title. Instead, I got some really disappointing tunes. Even Mood Rings couldn’t resurrect this I’m afraid.

Unless you were parodying the 1980s, I would rate this a 10/10. But you weren’t actually, were you? Summer Hits isn’t an ultimate mix of the big radio gainers of the summer, but, to simply put it, just another mixtape.

No 10/10 for me here, hahaha, I would not parody an era I love so much :P

Tracklist

1. The Mary Onettes - Evil Coast (Hit The Waves, 2013)

Mew – Hawaii (No More Stories / Are Told Today / I'm Sorry / They Washed Away // No More Stories / The World Is Grey / I'm Tired / Let's Wash Away, 2009)

Scarlet Chives - Somethings Never Change (Scarlet Chives, 2011)

2. Folly and the Hunter - How It Came Down (Tragic Care, 2013)

3. Still Corners - Fireflies (Strange Pleasures, 2013)

4. Earth & Fire - Weekend (Reality Fills Fantasy, 1979)

5. When Saints Go Machine – Konkylie (Konkylie, 2011)

Austra - Painful Like (Olympia, 2013)

6. Mood Rings - The Line (VPI Harmony, 2013)

7. jj - High Summer (High Summer, 2012)

8. Enya - Caribbean Blue (Shepherd Moons, 1991)

9. moi Caprice - A Supplement to Sunshine (The Art of Kissing Properly, 2006)

10.Spleen United – Heat (Neanderthal, 2008)

Link to mixtape: https://rapidshare.com/#!download|962p6|3619014459|Summer.rar|101625|0|0|1|referer-2C43831D6047B8445D0F7654DF137BB7

Finally, here's my reply. That's a thing artists don't get to do when NME or Pitchfork makes a destroying review :P but don't worry, I am not harsch or anything

I already had the idea of making a mixtape with summer songs before I knew who would receive my tape. Then I saw that you are from the southern part of the atmosphere and started to doubt about going through with it. Thought it shouldn’t be a problem because even though you’re in winter now, you might still feel the summer vibe. That part already failed, hahaha! Maybe because the feeling doesn’t work that well when you’re in winter setting or maybe because with some songs I have that summer feeling attached to it, but that doesn’t make it a summer song. Well, for me they are all summer hits. Also the title is cheesy, yep, I did it on purpose. I thought it wouldn’t negatively affect you since you seem to have an open mind with things, I mean, you don’t mind showing here that you love My Little Pony. That’s worth something, because short-minded people would already fall over that.

It’s funny you got a 80’s vibe because none of the songs are from the 80’s. Most are from this year. Yet I have to admit that I particularly like some of those songs because of their 80’s vibe. So I can see where your comment comes from. A good example of the 80’s sound is the first song which breaths the 80’s so hard that many confuse this album and song with something that The Cure must have made in the 80’s. This is a song from 2013 though. And this album is all about summer, though it has bit of this melancholia/darkness in it. Probably because they are Swedish. They are from the same part of the world as the next artist … which you guessed right, because that is indeed Mew. In Scandinavia winters are dark, cold and depressing. It’s what makes them appreciate summer so hard and their summers are cool but with a lot of light. I notice now that most of the artists on my tape are Scandinavian. Oi, that might also have to do with the dark and down elements in it. Hm, at least others on the board agreed with me that the first song has the summer vibe going on (see e.g. this post).

I spoilered the track-by-track part because it's loooong!

Yeah I mixed them together because it’s a mixtape :( It was not to try to emphasize their match, but just to give it a bit more of a mixtape idea (and because I had troubles with removing the covers as you have noticed). The flow was supposed to get better this way, but I see now that I also failed with this one.

The first song is from The Mary Onettes and was released only this year. To me it seemed the perfect start of a summer mixtape also with those seagulls at the coast included :P

Yep this is Mew, but I am surprised you don’t know the song as you state that you’re only a fan of their latest work. This is from their latest studio album :S. Mew’s version of a summer song, which is why it’s called Hawaii. Despite of them never have been to Hawaii they thought it would reflect the idea behind the song because with the word Hawaii alone people already have the association of an ideal and summery vacation island. You know, white beaches, palm trees … much like the cover of the mixtape. It’s a warm summer evening (except it’s not, the picture was taken between Christmas and New Year :P). They tried to put summer in the song with the typical percussion. I’m glad you thought the drumming was catchy, because that’s what makes the song for me too!

It’s indeed European and with shoegaze influences. They are the Danish Scarlet Chives and their second album will come out this year! Too bad you don’t like the genre. I love Von, hahaha, for me it was Valtari where they lost me. Luckily they came back with Kveikur, which is in my top of 2013. As is the album where the next song was drawn from.

It was the calm and relaxed man and the wild-west vibe that gave me the feeling of a nice song played at a campfire on a summer night. This is not regarded country, but some folk indie. It’s Folly and the Hunter with How it came down. Their whole album is nice like this. Or … completely boring if it is not your cup of tea, hahaha!

Still Corners with Fireflies. Got to know it because it got so hyped on the hypemachine. Lovely track. To me it sounds very peaceful rather than someone on acid :/ I guess that’s also what makes it boring to you. This is also from one of my favourite albums of this year.

Hahahaha! So harsch :P I didn’t forget to remove the cover but somehow it got back? I replaced it with the cover I made. Too bad it got back. Next time I will recode all the songs as I did with some of them.

You’re totally right about the “rip-off compilation albums wanna-be “record companies” put out from time to time”. This is one of the songs that always makes the cut when Dutch companies want to make a summer hit album. “Foute” is Dutch for ‘wrong’ or ‘bad’, hahaha! It’s like one of these guilty pleasures that you either love or hate. I love it and I see you hate it. It is a 70’s song and the biggest hit of Earth and Fire (not to be confused with Earth, Wind & Fire). It’s the marimba that makes it very summery :)

Too bad that that disappeared in the remake of Scooter (German techno band) somewhere in the 90’s. That one became a hit as well but is not timeless as the original version of Earth and Fire.

Yet another Danish production. This is When Saints Go Machine with the title track of their album Konkylie. The song is also a perfect transition to the next song on their album. But I thought one song would be enough to make you either love or hate them. This song imo is one of the few songs I put on the tape that doesn’t have a summery vibe. They also come with a new album this year :)

Nice that you compare her with Florence. I think that they are both powerful singers and that’s mostly why I like this band very much. I don’t think that the song tries to be uplifting. To me it sounds very sad, but yeah, the beat might give another impression, I agree with that. They are an electronic band as the song shows. I think the singer is so talented that she can easily move on to another genre. Symphonic rock would suit her very well I think.

This is also from a 2013 release, as is the next song.

Yups, Mood Rings is fantastic, aren’t they? Just like the first song on the mixtape this guy(s) released an album this year that thrives on the 80’s sound. Funny how you were completely bored with The Mary Onettes but that you love Mood Rings. Maybe because The Mary Onettes sound too much like it could be from the 80’s while Mood Rings used it more as a core to build around. The rest of the Mood Rings album is also great, yet again one of my favourite albums of this year! Glad to see that you like it and that Mood Rings already has another fan here on the board :wacky:

I have no clue if Kanye West was involved :S This is JJ with the title track of their EP High Summer. The EP is nothing special, but nevertheless I like to listen to it. I thought it would fit nicely on a summer mixtape.

This is Enya, hahaha! And this is regarded as one of her best songs. She won a Grammy award with this for best New Age album. I adore this song and the album. Carribean Blue just is sooo smooth and perfect and ah! One of my favourite songs of ever made!

Ah no, that’s just how the song is. I was thinking of mixing it with another song, but ran out of time so left it like this. It is supposed to follow up immediately with the next song. Which is the way it sounds also with the other song that on moi Caprice ’s album comes after this track. I think I had a moi Caprice song before on a mixtape. I love this band (yet another Danish band :uhoh: ) and they have a nice way of making dramatic songs with a light ending. This one is also lyrically strong, it’s about how he sees the light at the end of a troublesome relation and sees it will all turn out fine.

The corrupt noise in the background is synths but yeah they like to play synths as if they are other instruments. The same with the ‘drumbeat’, it’s more an electronically generated beat than anything else. Live they also play with loads of keyboards, hahaha! They are yet another Danish band, Spleen United, and this is song I find sooo relaxing and chill. I don’t think they went for the post-rock genre, they are really electronic but they don’t mind making longer songs than your standard 4 minute track (they even made one of 24 hours! Parts of it they released as ‘From Sunset To Sunset’). To me this song has the same chill thing going on as the Enya track before though they are completely different genres and this one has indeed a drumbeat going on, hahaha. I also love how this track floats away in the end. Leaving me with a nice peacefully feeling at the end of the mixtape but I can imagine that for you it is that what makes you bored and unsatisfied after listening to the whole mixtape. Well, maybe others like it more or they want to listen to it for the sake of laughing their asses off. To check if it’s really that bad or because they got curious for some songs. Here’s the link:

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|962p6|3619014459|Summer.rar|101625|0|0|1|referer-2C43831D6047B8445D0F7654DF137BB7

No 10/10 for me here, hahaha, I would not parody an era I love so much :P

Tracklist

1. The Mary Onettes - Evil Coast (Hit The Waves, 2013)

Mew – Hawaii (No More Stories / Are Told Today / I'm Sorry / They Washed Away // No More Stories / The World Is Grey / I'm Tired / Let's Wash Away, 2009)

Scarlet Chives - Somethings Never Change (Scarlet Chives, 2011)

2. Folly and the Hunter - How It Came Down (Tragic Care, 2013)

3. Still Corners - Fireflies (Strange Pleasures, 2013)

4. Earth & Fire - Weekend (Reality Fills Fantasy, 1979)

5. When Saints Go Machine – Konkylie (Konkylie, 2011)

Austra - Painful Like (Olympia, 2013)

6. Mood Rings - The Line (VPI Harmony, 2013)

7. jj - High Summer (High Summer, 2012)

8. Enya - Caribbean Blue (Shepherd Moons, 1991)

9. moi Caprice - A Supplement to Sunshine (The Art of Kissing Properly, 2006)

10.Spleen United – Heat (Neanderthal, 2008)

Link to mixtape: https://rapidshare.com/#!download|962p6|3619014459|Summer.rar|101625|0|0|1|referer-2C43831D6047B8445D0F7654DF137BB7

Is it weird that the only artist I recognize on there is Enya?...:lol:

Tracklist:

1. 20th Century Fox Fanfare (London Symphony Orchestra)

2. Echoes of Mine (M83)

3. Bible Belt (Dry the River)

4. What's Yr Favorite Dinosaur (The Main Drag)

5. A Night in Summer Long Ago (Mark Knopfler)

6. Centred On You (Atlas Genius)

7. Miracle (The Temper Trap)

8. One Big Holiday (My Morning Jacket)

9. Fire & Regeneration (Wendy & Lisa)

10. Furr (Blitzen Trapper)

11. Interlude (Interpol)

12. All Fired Up (Interpol)

13. Southern Anthem (Iron & Wine)

14. I Ain't The Same (Alabama Shakes)

15. Elizabeth My Dear (The Stone Roses)

16. KC Accidental (Broken Social Scene)

17. Lions (Walk the Moon)

18. Paris (Ooh La La) [Amanda Brown]

19. One Step Closer (U2)

20. The Underdog (Spoon)

21. Lovers in Japan (Vitamin String Quartet)

22. The River (Imagine Dragons)

23. Be The Song (Foy Vance)

So all in all, thanks for the positive review! I'm so glad you liked it! *sighs* My first mixtape... :)

I like this, is the link up to download it? :) Also I think it was me you put Bible Belt in the mixtape for The Final Track (sorry, don't know your name). It's now one of the most played tracks on my iTunes!

I like this, is the link up to download it? :) Also I think it was me you put Bible Belt in the mixtape for The Final Track (sorry, don't know your name). It's now one of the most played tracks on my iTunes!

Thanks man! Unfortunately, I couldn't actually upload it myself, so Wyrd, being an awesome person, went ahead and uploaded it for me. Maybe she could post the link? :)

The link to Alex' tape is: https://rapidshare.com/#!download|945p6|3633146787|Mixtape%20William.rar|100371|0|0|1|referer-F2630AEE7FF865153C4AA76DD72F97E3

I hope it still works!

Still frustratingly waiting for a review...
I hope the receiver will still come with it.

I PM'ed the people that still have to review / provide the tracklisting. Let's hope they'll have time soon!

Mixtape maker: sorry I haven't reviewed your mixtape yet, I just finished my summer class so I should have time to review it in the next couple of days.
Last post she made on this board :(

I don't think we'll see reviews anytime soon. The one that got reviewed by jeremyy didn't come with a tracklisting so I can only give the name of the mixtape maker.

Maybe jeremyy and Ouch can swop mixtapes, because they both didn't get a review? Or Ouch you want to get your tape reviewed by someone else?

Last post she made on this board :(

I don't think we'll see reviews anytime soon. The one that got reviewed by jeremyy didn't come with a tracklisting so I can only give the name of the mixtape maker.

Maybe jeremyy and Ouch can swop mixtapes, because they both didn't get a review? Or Ouch you want to get your tape reviewed by someone else?

As long as it's someone who isn't so busy. I really can't review a mixtape for now, I've been doing my own searching, listening, and self-reviewing of new artists I find and I'm having a pile of albums that I need to listen to that's just sitting there. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Then I guess this is the end of this mixtape exchange :/

^ I'm sorry that your tape never got reveiwed. Shall I otherwise place the link here for anyone to download it? (don't know if the link still works though ... )

Link of my mixtape and revealed tracklisting for anyone to see:

https://mega.co.nz/#!m95kASzL!H7XD12...2uojjIJ2OjGq7I (it still works)

01. "Built Then Burnt (Hurrah! Hurrah!)" by Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra

02. "I Wake to See the World Go Wild" by This Routine is Hell

03. "Alaska" by Alcoholic Faith Mission

04. "My Electric Elf" by Shark?

05. "インベーダーインベーダー (Invader Invader)" by Kyary Pamyu Pamyu

06. "I'll Be Your Mirror" by The Velvet Underground

07. "Maybe One Day" by Kurrel the Raven

08. "Hold On (So Goodbye to All That)" by Crippled Black Phoenix

09. "System Blower" by Death Grips

10. "Sell Yourself" by Cage the Elephant

11. "Crawl (Carry Me Through)" by Superchick

12. "Two Men in Love" by The Irrepressibles

13. "Bláþráður" by Sigur Rós