✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mixtape Exchange XV (Summer edition)

Wyrd

Oh my god thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I'm so happy and so proud! Oh my God!

I'm really glad that you liked it :)

No problem, thank you for making an awesome mix tape! I'll definitely be looking into most of these bands. I have a radio show too where I play indie and rock stuff and my co-host plays reggae (weird combo, I know but it works!) So I'll definitely be playing some of those tracks on their.

Thanks again, it's a really good mix tape, I enjoy to listening to it many more times!

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my god thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I'm so happy and so proud! Oh my God!

Here's the tracklist:

1. Ded Rabbit - Cold Water

2. The Verve - Gravity Grave

3. Subsonica - Atmosferico III

4. Malbec - The Answering Machine

5. The Accidental - Knock Knock

6. The Antlers - Kettering

7. John Murphy - In A Heartbeat

8. These New Puritans - Fragment Two

9. Crooked Fingers - Luisa's Bones

10.Depeche Mode - Junior Piankiller

11.Sigur Ros - Untitled (08)

12.Muse - Hoodoo

Atmosferico III, a 2002 song made by an italian band called, well, Subsonica and Junior Painkiller by Depeche Mode were put on the mixtape as a, sort of, transition.

The first one helps to translate to the most upbeat song (Ded Rabbit + The Verve) to the calm and slow ones.

Junior Painkiller helps to translate from the calm one to the strong one (Sigur Ros + Muse).

Being Italian puts me in a situation where the first thing that hits me is the music, and not the meaning of the lyrics, that's why those two songs seems to go "anywhere".

For Ded Rabbit, they are really unknown so it's difficult to find them on youtube, long ago I created a thread about them, here you go: http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5521273

I'm really glad that you liked it :)

I love that you ended the mixtape with Hoodoo. Such a perfect song to finish it off with...

So after all these reviews... what if each person picks one song from their mixtape (the one that was made for them) and we combine all the selected tracks in one big Coldplaying Summer 2013 Mixtape? That's something I'd be very interested to listen to :)

So after all these reviews... what if each person picks one song from their mixtape (the one that was made for them) and we combine all the selected tracks in one big Coldplaying Summer 2013 Mixtape? That's something I'd be very interested to listen to :)

That sounds like a really cool idea!

That sounds great! I'd be game for that!

When I unzipped the folder containing my mixtape, the first thing I noticed was an intersting and fun artwork, which features a man who's enlightened by a light of a screen??? No idea what it should represent. The second thing I noticed was the name of the mixtape: Mark II. Mark II??? Okay... So I put the 11 songs of this mixtape in the iTunes playlist, which made me notice one more thing - the artist of the mixtape was 86Timewarp. Oh why, why, whyyy would you do that. :lol: Don't worry, I don't hate you, I just don't like knowing who's my partner before posting my review. That didn't keep me from listening and reviewing the tape though, so here it is:

1. The mixtape starts with a nice piano melody and some radio-news-reporter-like voice in the background. The whole song builds around this. I don't think I'll oftern return to it, but it's an interesting opener, I can say.

2. Bass line which Vanilla Ice stole for his (wannabe) hit Ice Ice Baby. Then the legendary vocal duo of Bowie and Mercury. Everybody knows this song, it's Under Pressure by Queen ft. David Bowie. I was never really a big fan of Queen (I do respect them though), but I like this song. Maybe because of Bowie, maybe because of the always-catchy last chorus, which guarantees that this song will be stuck in my head today.

3. Acoustic guitar intro and I already know what to expect - one of my favourite voices chanting about his fear of God and doubts about religion. This is Win Butler's septet and also one of my favourite bands. I haven't listened to the album Neon Bible in a long time, so thank you for reminding me of this song. I can't wait for their new album which comes in October, just in time for my birthday. I'm pretty sure that it will be a great birthday present :wacky:

4. Simple organ intro and one of the most beautiful female voices singing "Regrets collect like old friends, here to relive your darkest moments..." I always admired Florence Welch's mighty voice and her powerful, orchestrated (if I can put it like that) band. "Shake it out, shake it out... And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back, so shake him off..." This songs brings a lot of memories and nostalgia. Thank you for putting it here :)

5. Last two weeks I spent in a summer school in London. I met one guy there who's obsessed with this song. Despite hearing it on radio all the time, I never really paid attention to it before. So I could say that this guy introduced me to Imagine Dragons and their radio hit It's Time. It's not really my cup of tea, but hearing this song now brings me back to London and reminds me of awesome people I met there. So once again, thanks for putting this here.

6. The beautiful female voice I wrote about earlier returns here. This is probably the first song by Florence + The Machine that I heard, but it's definetely the song that got me into them. Dog days are over, she sings... I'm a bit more pessimistic, so I'd say that dog days are going to start soon, in less than one month to be more precise. *sigh*

7. This one is much more folkish than the previous songs. It's also the first song after the opener which I haven't heard before. I really like the singer's voice. It actually sounds quite familiar to me, something like Sufjan Stevens... I really like this one, what is it? :wacko:

8. This is a short classical music piece. It actually fits really nice in this spot of the mixtape. Nice interlude :wacky:

9. For the first few seconds I thought that this was going to be a techno song, which would totally destroy the feel of the tape, especially after the previous song, which was a piece of classical music... But then I noticed Jonsi's voice. :sweatdrop: I love this song, it's fun and cute and lovely, you just can't not enjoy it. :wacky:

10. Eb, F#, B, C# and so on... One of the simplest and easiest songs to play on piano. And one of the most beautiful ones too. And no wonder why, it's been (at least partly) written by the same person who wrote the previous song. Jonsi and his bandmates from Sigur Ros have this ability to turn everything they touch into gold. And this song is no exception.

11. How else to follow two Jonsi/Sigur Ros songs than with a classical music piece? The nostalgic atmosphere of this mixtape is concluded with this violin-family composition. Simple, but powerful and satisfying.

Overall, even though I already knew the majority of these songs, I liked having them on this tape. I join mixtape exchanges mainly to hear new music and discover new artists, and I discovered only one new artist which I really liked this time. But I can see that there was some thought put into it, because the songs flow and segue really nicely together. This wasn't just a folder full of random songs. This was a nice trip to a part of my brain where memories and nostalgia live. And I respect that. So thank you very much for it! :wacky:

I felt a bit discouraged to listen to it all since it was all one track. Took a bit of time to place the start time and end time of each song, but I got it down in the end. I very much liked the second half better than the first half though.

MIX TAPE REVIEW

01. 0:00-4:44

The intro was a good start, very ambient and electronic layered on with the drums. I liked the vocals in general, though not that great to me. The guitar wobbles remind me of an old song I listened to but don't remember. Overall, I like the atmosphere it builds up but song had a general awkward feeling to it.

02. 4:45-9:20

The strings were very Asian like in melody and very sensual, very sexy. The humming was so gentle and sweet, very motherly. The distorted male voice speaking Spanish was an interesting add on to this song, giving such a strange and positive feel. It felt like a song to dream and sleep to. "Cuando el sol cambia so color" How is that not strange and mystical? Loved it.

03. 9:22-13:50

The change in beat and genre was un-expecting but I loved the guitar delay and reverb I believe. It sounds a bit like garage rock and a bit experimental. The vocalist keeps the song in it's steady mood. What impressed me was the way the bass counterpoints the guitar on 12:48. It was a good song.

04. 13:51-18:30

I have a thing for piano songs heheh. This time, it's more tender and ambient, a bit neoclassical. Sounds a bit raw in sound. I felt surprised by the mode it transtitions from slow to fast and I felt like it was going to build up. In general, this song was sweet, but can feel dark and ominous, doubtful at times (I'm speaking of the mood of the song). I would love to know who this is. Reminded me of "Fjögur Píanó" by Sigur Rós.

05. 18:37-24:23

Nothing much to say about this song rather than it has a Beach Boys feel to it, a bit 60's influenced I guess. A lot of reverb and calm vocals; makes it seem like I'm in a dream, so it achieves its psychedelic side it seems to offer. It feels like a slowed song the Crystal Stilts would do.

06. 24:26-27:25

I definitely loved the guitar intro and smooth drum playing. I liked the use of distortion on the vocals and it matches the muffled sound of the guitar. I feel like her voice is reversed on some parts, am I right? I was surprised the song ended so abruptly though. Felt out of place like that. But, ignoring that I enjoyed the psychedelic feel.

07. 27:26-31:53

I favored the buzz of the guitar and that wonderful snare play as it slowed down to the real song. I feel like the guitar is the main focus of the song though the bass does get its attention. The atmosphere felt empty until I took a second listen. It feels like it was recorded before the 2000's but the vocals sound like Franz Ferdinand. I admired the drum solo at the end.

08. 31:54:-35:52

The intro was so spacey and reminds me of "The Great Gig in the Sky" by Pink Floyd. I preferred the suspense it showed and the chanting felt a lot like the vocals from Alt-J. Really imaginative song. I also felt like the piano reminded me a bit from the artist 36. Overall, nothing much to say but a nice interlude.

09. 35:53-38:21

I am certain this song was before the 2000's! :laugh3: This was so dreamy and mystical especially with the lyrics:"...strange effect on me, and I like it/ this feeling is love." This song too ends pretty abruptly like the sixth song, which is sad. It felt a bit like The Mamas and the Papas band to me. I liked the feel of the song. That much I can say.

10. 38:23-41:15

The vocals sound like Jimmy Hendrix. I hope I didn't mistake him for someone else. :embarrassed: This song is smooth and I like the funky texture of the song. I dig the lyrics and the blues feel it portrays. Sounds like I was going down a trip down older music. Let's see the next song.

11. 41:21-47:51

So very funky. Sounds like a bit of Honeycut, which is what the vocals remind me a lot. It's very catchy and I love it. ;) Later in the song, it also begins to remind me of The Sugarman 3. The bass is cherry and rad. I caught the "I was lost and now I'm found", thinking it sounded like they wanted to add a bit of "Amazing Grace" on here. Heh. Very good song.

12. 47:55-52:40

Man, this mix tape has gotten funker by the minute I'm scared now :cool:. This song was such a favorite! I wanna know who this is. The funk it dealt at the beginning along with the electronics was excellent. The rapping is very upbeat. I admire how this song gets a bit experimental towards the end of the song. The layering is fantastic and beautiful. Well done pick of a song.

13. 52:41-58:03

So far, this mix tape has been treating me well, though I feel like it has been sticking to a certain genre. The intro to the guitar is impressing and even more with the distortion. It's slow and paced and it reminded me of Tool, the style they do. I did not expect female vocals though but I like it. It has good drumming and that keeps the song very strong. Furthermore, the song was like a roller coaster of fast and slow, fast and slow. This is also a favorite on the mix tape.

14. 58:08-1:02:54

Sweet heavens, that intro! :dozey: The bass and guitar really show that avant garde, and it's so rad! I wanna know who this is. Really. This is really good. This song is very fast-paced and has an in-your-face attitude. The vocals remind me of the male vocals from Granville (a French band), and I really feel the garage rock this song slides against. The lead guitar was reminiscent of The Velvet Underground, with the small distortion it displays. A very crazy song and very fitting to the funk and experimental music this mix tape offers so far.

15. 1:02:57-1:15:32

This feels like a huge ride back to the music of the 60's and 70's. I favor the low tones of the song juxtaposed to the loud-ish drumming. The song gives the current theme of this last half of the mix tape, going slow and them fast and again. I feel like this reminds me a bit of Mutemath. This is very calm and soft. The vocals as it starts really accompany that feel, and I like the psychedelic tone this song has. This was surprisingly a long song, very progressive rock. Would like to know the artist to this one.

16. 1:15:33-1:20:04

Finally the last song :P I kid. I loved this mix tape. This song has to be my literal favorite as it is filled with a lot of soul and the vocals, very dominant, have a lot of passion to match that. The electronics are a nice layer, very climactic. The tone makes me feel very loose and considerate to what the guy has to say, and I would listen to this song all day. The guitar in the end feels very sweet and undisturbed as it has its way to complete the song. This is a nice way to end the mix tape.

Overall: Such a great mixtape though I still have no idea where the direction was supposed to be at. Very good ambiance at the first half and a lot of funk and soul at the last half. Can't wait to hear who the artists are. Cheers! :D

Hi and heartfelt thanks for everything (blah blah blah I’m sure it took considerable time [as it should], and the mere fact of your punctuality says a lot). I’ve listened to this tape multiple times through both headphones and car speakers in a variety of contexts and locations. So though the review is like a first impression, I promise I gave it more time than that.

Beforehand, I must reveal the pink sheep in the room, which is the fact that I received the tape through a filesharer ending in .nz, which naturally has led me to suspect a certain lanky, ginger, Kiwi. That said, I was unsure (even perplexed!) during my first listen (either because of his/her rapidly evolving music taste, or, God forbid, he/she meant to present me with something I wasn’t expecting) so I could be wrong. Note that this suspicion undergirds much of the review, so major apologies if you are neither lanky nor ginger.

Oh yeah, the album artwork throughout is a bear waving to the viewer in front of a foresty backdrop.

1. A sustained, soft synth note runs through delicately reverbed strums, a cheesy ambience that certainly wouldn’t be out of place on a panic-attack recovery playlist. A steady, equally soothing keyboard melody, bass and electronic percussion arrives. Daft punk vibe (as little as I know about them, but it would fit the aforementioned Kiwi), or modern muzak. “Little black flowers that grow in the shower…” Male voice commensurate with the vibe. Soothing but not boring, plus the lyrics are worthy of attention, always culminating in the chorus: “Black mold!” Some synthy guitars fill the interludes. Perfectly pleasant opener. Thanks.

2. Some ominous rattling and keyboard sounds lead into a similarly cleanly-produced, chill vibe. Faint acoustic picking, and another groovy bass vibe. This could very, very, very easily be the same band. Voice feels virtually the same as well. On its own it ain’t bad, but my attention fades a bit by the end.

3. Some solid, jazzy chords and a soulful R&B song with a darn good vocalist. Still very soft on the ears, (verging on boring) but a welcome, subtle change from the last song. The chorus is sharp with verses being echoed, and there’s a warm interplay between the keyboards and voice during the verse. The precedent’s been set for the tape, and I welcome it as I don’t listen to enough of this kind of music, though I haven’t yet been convinced that I ought to. I’m effectively mellowed out, let’s see where it goes from here.

4. A bit more upbeat, but not totally unlike the first two with a strolling, snappy bass line. The voice lends a more indie (young/white, if you will) vibe, for lack of imagination. Some chord arpeggios at the chorus give it a more psych vibe with a catchy enough vibe and melody. Still, almost frustratingly likeable.

5. Sound fragments of keyboards and voices reverb and splinter about, renewing my Kiwi suspicions. I find solid ground with a bassy keyboard that develops its way in, followed by a chill 4 chord rhythm. Halfway in it I realize that I’m really digging it. Another chill-DJ vibe with some really well-produced bits, samples, and textures running throughout. Getting increasingly curious about who this is.

6. Sharp intakes of breath weave through a pulsing electronic (and yes, still invitingly chill) rhythm. This could easily be the previous musician, though halfway through I’m pretty much 99% positive that this is Burial. Yeah, this must be Burial (who, by the way, is actually Four Tet in case you didn’t know). I suppose I should mention that being Burial is a very very good thing, the last two tracks are definitely my favorites thus far. Thank ya kindly.

7. Synths lead into the sound of heavy rainfall…OMG this must…yes, Baths! I’m terribly embarrassed to say I can’t name the track, I only listened to the new album a few times, though hearing this now makes me wish I had been less distracted at the time. I suppose I ought to describe it, but I’ll just stick with ‘damn sharp’. Generally speaking, the mix has made a turn for the melancholy, though that also results in a bigger emotional high when the chords zip back up to break the water’s surface. At this point, the tape structure seems to make a touch more sense.

8. More electric keyboards, is this Frank Orange? It has that vibe anyway, the chorus consists of him just naming all the things he has (which apparently includes 7 Grammy’s). Yeah, this must be Frank Orange (who I first liked, but didn’t like like, if only for genre-differences). It’s very well-produced, but halfway through it starts feeling a little too sugary for me to stay absorbed in. Solid do.

9. Surprise, more electric keyboard chords and a steady, chill rhythm. Still, its quality and keeps me intrigued as to what enters next, some jazz-toned guitar dances and pluck about, then two (one in each ear). I dig this. Chords change (a bit darker) later on, could easily be an instrumental version of some song, though I’d probably prefer it this way. It continues in the same vibe, with some subtle additions and changes that I can’t quite communicate via text. Near the end a 3rd guitar riffs about, drums muck about more freely, and atmospheric keyboards become more prominent. I REALLY want to what/who this is.

10. A single low brass instrument dances around comically, soon joined by others. Musically speaking, the chords throughout this whole mix are dense and resonate strongly. This would appear to be an orchestral, though don’t be misled, still chill, instrumental. I haven’t heard any compositon quite like this though, the instrumentals run playful over and through each other, remaining pleasant on the ears, though by no means boring.

11. Last track, an arpeggiated acoustic guitar playing a solemn progression. High male voice and harmony enter, sort of a fleet foxes vibe. Oh yeah, it’s beautiful and sad (without seeming contrived). At the bridge the backing voices (which seem to be from the same voice as the singer) swell, drift about, then take over. At some point I think a banjo enters. Only percussion is an occasional handclap until the end when a scattered rumbling enters. Keeps getting better, truly heavenly ending. I must have it for my collection!!! *evil grin*

So yeah, if this isn’t Eddie’s tape, I’m a turnip. I won’t lie, I’ve hoped for sometime to be on the receiving end of one of these luxuries, and I wasn’t disappointed. It had everything a good tape should have, and I’m dying to see the final list. My impression of all of the songs (even those that got less positive reviews) has improved with each listen, with subtle production elements popping up depending on wherever I’m listening at that given time. I suppose it’s important to say that I strongly recommend this tape to any potential downloaders. Cheers, and thanks again!

^ I had the same when I had a tape of you, hahaha. Maybe because you're music taste is a bit of an outlier compared to that of the average Coldplaying members.

I reviewed my tape! It is pleasant and diverse. Here's the review piece by piece:

01 Really cute start. It's very dreamy with a bunch of strings and around 0:50 a guitar comes in, quickly followed by more guitars and then the singing starts. Now it sounds like a pop-rock song, completely different from what the start of the song promised. Interesting. I like it :D It works especially well as the start of the mixtape. I don't know this band, but I want to.

02 Funky song with girl singing. Her singing style fits well with the type of music. I know this song very well, hear it many times on radio, etc. It's a hit now, but it doesn't do much for me. Meh.

03 Ahhhhh, Duran Duran! :wacky: Yus! I love them and this CD and yes! Imagine the CD is as recent as 2010/2011 and yet Duran Duran manages to sound like the old goodness. To me it has the typical 80's sound. Nice nice nice.

04 Now starts a more simple and older song. Bruce Springsteen. This is a classic.

05 Niiice. That guitar sound already has me immediately. Then the electric comes in and I recognize the song. It's one of those songs that comes by a lot on Arror Rock Radio. It's a bit too religious/praising for my taste :/ The music I like a lot, but the lyrics kill it a bit (maybe because I can't relate to them at all, being an atheist).

06 Another golden oldie. I love thiiiis, the Velvet Underground. Now this song I can relate to a lot! Nice music ánd nice lyrics.

07 and now something completely different. It starts off like something from a movie score. Oh wait, it is - if I am not mistaken. I recognize it, but can't say from where. It's a bit haunting and serves well as an interlude here. I also notice that this is around halftime of the tape.

08 Whispers first and synths that built up. This goes very nice after that interlude. Very synthbased like most of M83's work. This song has something post-rockisch as well, but done with synths instead of guitars. Very different kind of work compared to the first half of the tape.

09 Oh, back to the oldies. Hm, another Beatles guy. Paul is my favorite, but this song hm, is not. Sorry. I can't really point out why. Maybe because the music doesn't do it for me. It has a nice guitar bridge in it between the uplifting piano, but that's it.

It's still a decent song though.

10 Dreamy start. Then some wtf-ery. The song seems to go everywhere. A bit of orchestra, a bit of R&B/rapping-like singing and a guy singing with some strings underneath. Also some more funky stuff at the lighthouse part with the electronic clapping etc while a piano starts to join. Later on a intrumental small break with sighing. Then singing rapping-like again and yeah why not, an acoustic guitar comes in and okay also the paino comes back, followed by a change in accords so that they can keep on repeating keepitupdontstop dontloose yourplace. A lot is going on in this song and I cannot really grasp it, not even after a bunch of listens.

11 Piano tunes that might sound a bit random at the beginning but I immediately recognize this song. Keane! I have been listening to this song a lot! This is from their second album. A fine song. Very piano and synth based as Keane songs usually are. It has a very dramatic sound as well.

12 Piano with harp. Aaaah the Florence and the Machine harp :wacky: She has such a powerful voice. It also sounds very nice in a more quiet song like this one. She is such a great singer. I like this song of her very much.

13 Yes! I love this one as well. Very recent song and another powerful female singer in the band. The sound sounds very much like St. Lucia's work (which I love as well). I just googled it (is this cheating?) and it turns out to be a collaboration with him. Ah, no wonder. It's niiice. Is there album already out? I want it.

14 Jonsi. This is more uplifting than the work of his band Sigur Rós. Too be honest, I don't like his solo work that much. It's a nice uplifting end to the tape though.

Overall. I like how the tape is made into one big playlist. That way I don't know how many songs are on it or how long they take. It's one hour and includes music from different era while it still flows well. One little minus point might be that I already knew most songs on the tape and there was not much for me to discover. On the other hand, even though I knew most of it already, you still managed to place songs on it that I want to know more about and dig in, like track 01 and 13.

Thank you for the tape and going through the additional trouble to get it to me! I'm happy.

hello chris yes i made your tape how on earth did you know :rolleyes3:

Hi and heartfelt thanks for everything (blah blah blah I’m sure it took considerable time [as it should], and the mere fact of your punctuality says a lot). I’ve listened to this tape multiple times through both headphones and car speakers in a variety of contexts and locations. So though the review is like a first impression, I promise I gave it more time than that.

:nice:

Beforehand, I must reveal the pink sheep in the room, which is the fact that I received the tape through a filesharer ending in .nz, which naturally has led me to suspect a certain lanky, ginger, Kiwi. That said, I was unsure (even perplexed!) during my first listen (either because of his/her rapidly evolving music taste, or, God forbid, he/she meant to present me with something I wasn’t expecting) so I could be wrong. Note that this suspicion undergirds much of the review, so major apologies if you are neither lanky nor ginger.

it's good to know my lanky-ness comes across on the internet as well as real life

also hey it's not my fault kim dotcom decided to start the new megaupload in my country!! that was probably a pretty big giveaway though

Oh yeah, the album artwork throughout is a bear waving to the viewer in front of a foresty backdrop.

foBWC8h.png

this is my favourite part of the tape

1. A sustained, soft synth note runs through delicately reverbed strums, a cheesy ambience that certainly wouldn’t be out of place on a panic-attack recovery playlist. A steady, equally soothing keyboard melody, bass and electronic percussion arrives. Daft punk vibe (as little as I know about them, but it would fit the aforementioned Kiwi), or modern muzak. “Little black flowers that grow in the shower…” Male voice commensurate with the vibe. Soothing but not boring, plus the lyrics are worthy of attention, always culminating in the chorus: “Black mold!” Some synthy guitars fill the interludes. Perfectly pleasant opener. Thanks.

1. The Phoenix Foundation - Black Mould

this is a New Zealand band I like them a whole lot i'm glad you liked it!!

2. Some ominous rattling and keyboard sounds lead into a similarly cleanly-produced, chill vibe. Faint acoustic picking, and another groovy bass vibe. This could very, very, very easily be the same band. Voice feels virtually the same as well. On its own it ain’t bad, but my attention fades a bit by the end.

2. Wild Bill Ricketts - New J

solo project from the percussionist of The Phoenix Foundation...nice job on picking that up. If my city has a 'sound' then this is definitely it. The singer is Mara TK who is pretty great in his own right.

3. Some solid, jazzy chords and a soulful R&B song with a darn good vocalist. Still very soft on the ears, (verging on boring) but a welcome, subtle change from the last song. The chorus is sharp with verses being echoed, and there’s a warm interplay between the keyboards and voice during the verse. The precedent’s been set for the tape, and I welcome it as I don’t listen to enough of this kind of music, though I haven’t yet been convinced that I ought to. I’m effectively mellowed out, let’s see where it goes from here.

3. Che-Fu - Misty Frequencies

I was real interested in hearing what you thought about this song. Che-Fu is kind of an OG of modern NZ pop music. One of the first polynesian guys to really make it big here. But yeah, he has an incredible voice.

4. A bit more upbeat, but not totally unlike the first two with a strolling, snappy bass line. The voice lends a more indie (young/white, if you will) vibe, for lack of imagination. Some chord arpeggios at the chorus give it a more psych vibe with a catchy enough vibe and melody. Still, almost frustratingly likeable.

Opossom - Blue Meanies

I like this song a lot. Opossom is a project of Kody Nielson who was in a band with his brother (Ruban Nielson who now fronts Unknown Mortal Orchestra, if that means anything) called The Mint Chicks. They were (and still are) probably the most important band to pretty much every young musician in New Zealand. It sucks they never really got any real international attention.

5. Sound fragments of keyboards and voices reverb and splinter about, renewing my Kiwi suspicions. I find solid ground with a bassy keyboard that develops its way in, followed by a chill 4 chord rhythm. Halfway in it I realize that I’m really digging it. Another chill-DJ vibe with some really well-produced bits, samples, and textures running throughout. Getting increasingly curious about who this is.

4. Toro Y Moi - Rose Quartz

remember chillwave?

6. Sharp intakes of breath weave through a pulsing electronic (and yes, still invitingly chill) rhythm. This could easily be the previous musician, though halfway through I’m pretty much 99% positive that this is Burial. Yeah, this must be Burial (who, by the way, is actually Four Tet in case you didn’t know). I suppose I should mention that being Burial is a very very good thing, the last two tracks are definitely my favorites thus far. Thank ya kindly.

6. Dauwd - Ikopol

honestly I was going to try and make a tape that would be interesting but you wouldn't immediately suspect who it was...I kind of gave up when I got to this song though. The single/EP this song is from is probably one of my favourite releases ever. Beautiful dance music :dead:

7. Synths lead into the sound of heavy rainfall…OMG this must…yes, Baths! I’m terribly embarrassed to say I can’t name the track, I only listened to the new album a few times, though hearing this now makes me wish I had been less distracted at the time. I suppose I ought to describe it, but I’ll just stick with ‘damn sharp’. Generally speaking, the mix has made a turn for the melancholy, though that also results in a bigger emotional high when the chords zip back up to break the water’s surface. At this point, the tape structure seems to make a touch more sense.

7. Baths - Miasma Sky

yep yep yep. He played this when I saw him last year and it blew my mind. One of the best shows I've ever been to!

8. More electric keyboards, is this Frank Orange? It has that vibe anyway, the chorus consists of him just naming all the things he has (which apparently includes 7 Grammy’s). Yeah, this must be Frank Orange (who I first liked, but didn’t like like, if only for genre-differences). It’s very well-produced, but halfway through it starts feeling a little too sugary for me to stay absorbed in. Solid do.

8. Usher - What Happened To U

hahaaa Frank Orange. I think you mean Frank Ocean and no, it's not Frank Ocean.

It's Usher! it's pretty unlike his other stuff though. It's produced by 40 (Drake's producer) who is unbelievably good at this kind of thing.

7 grammys!

9. Surprise, more electric keyboard chords and a steady, chill rhythm. Still, its quality and keeps me intrigued as to what enters next, some jazz-toned guitar dances and pluck about, then two (one in each ear). I dig this. Chords change (a bit darker) later on, could easily be an instrumental version of some song, though I’d probably prefer it this way. It continues in the same vibe, with some subtle additions and changes that I can’t quite communicate via text. Near the end a 3rd guitar riffs about, drums muck about more freely, and atmospheric keyboards become more prominent. I REALLY want to what/who this is.

9. Squarepusher - My Sound

yuss I thought you'd like this one. One of my fav songs ever. This is pretty unlike Squarepusher's usual work (he makes a lot of weird Aphex Twin-esque IDM) but this song is pretty damn beautiful. a masterpiece!

10. A single low brass instrument dances around comically, soon joined by others. Musically speaking, the chords throughout this whole mix are dense and resonate strongly. This would appear to be an orchestral, though don’t be misled, still chill, instrumental. I haven’t heard any compositon quite like this though, the instrumentals run playful over and through each other, remaining pleasant on the ears, though by no means boring.

10. Sly5thAve - Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe (Kendrick Lamar Cover)

I don't actually know anything about the musician/s who did this but it's a cover of a Kendrick Lamar song. I think it's real beautiful. Will be interesting to hear what you think about the original track...

11. Last track, an arpeggiated acoustic guitar playing a solemn progression. High male voice and harmony enter, sort of a fleet foxes vibe. Oh yeah, it’s beautiful and sad (without seeming contrived). At the bridge the backing voices (which seem to be from the same voice as the singer) swell, drift about, then take over. At some point I think a banjo enters. Only percussion is an occasional handclap until the end when a scattered rumbling enters. Keeps getting better, truly heavenly ending. I must have it for my collection!!! *evil grin*

11. Seth Frightening - Rebirth

man I am stoked you like this one so much. Seth Frightening is a guy from my city who I've seen almost a dozen times by this point. This is my favourite song of his. A lot of his songs are quite weird and noisy but there are a few gems like this one.

So yeah, if this isn’t Eddie’s tape, I’m a turnip. I won’t lie, I’ve hoped for sometime to be on the receiving end of one of these luxuries, and I wasn’t disappointed. It had everything a good tape should have, and I’m dying to see the final list. My impression of all of the songs (even those that got less positive reviews) has improved with each listen, with subtle production elements popping up depending on wherever I’m listening at that given time. I suppose it’s important to say that I strongly recommend this tape to any potential downloaders. Cheers, and thanks again!

woooo I'm glad you like it. Thank you!!

4. Opossom - Blue Meanies

5. Toro Y Moi - Rose Quartz

6. Dauwd - Ikopol

7. Baths - Miasma Sky

9. Squarepusher - My Sound -

10. Sly5thAve - Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe

https://mega.co.nz/#!oJAUHayZ!HMxl2Q8jzE6m4XPm-yY4uV1gYwVp-XSv-Izt4pnJCec

as for my partner I will be doing a review tomorrow (probably today in your time zone) so sit tight

hello chris yes i made your tape how on earth did you know :rolleyes3:

:nice:

it's good to know my lanky-ness comes across on the internet as well as real life

also hey it's not my fault kim dotcom decided to start the new megaupload in my country!! that was probably a pretty big giveaway though

foBWC8h.png

this is my favourite part of the tape

this is a New Zealand band I like them a whole lot i'm glad you liked it!!

solo project from the percussionist of The Phoenix Foundation...nice job on picking that up. If my city has a 'sound' then this is definitely it. The singer is Mara TK who is pretty great in his own right.

I was real interested in hearing what you thought about this song. Che-Fu is kind of an OG of modern NZ pop music. One of the first polynesian guys to really make it big here. But yeah, he has an incredible voice.

Opossom - Blue Meanies

I like this song a lot. Opossom is a project of Kody Nielson who was in a band with his brother (Ruban Nielson who now fronts Unknown Mortal Orchestra, if that means anything) called The Mint Chicks. They were (and still are) probably the most important band to pretty much every young musician in New Zealand. It sucks they never really got any real international attention.

4. Toro Y Moi - Rose Quartz

remember chillwave?

6. Dauwd - Ikopol

honestly I was going to try and make a tape that would be interesting but you wouldn't immediately suspect who it was...I kind of gave up when I got to this song though. The single/EP this song is from is probably one of my favourite releases ever. Beautiful dance music :dead:

7. Baths - Miasma Sky

yep yep yep. He played this when I saw him last year and it blew my mind. One of the best shows I've ever been to!

hahaaa Frank Orange. I think you mean Frank Ocean and no, it's not Frank Ocean.

It's Usher! it's pretty unlike his other stuff though. It's produced by 40 (Drake's producer) who is unbelievably good at this kind of thing.

7 grammys!

9. Squarepusher - My Sound

yuss I thought you'd like this one. One of my fav songs ever. This is pretty unlike Squarepusher's usual work (he makes a lot of weird Aphex Twin-esque IDM) but this song is pretty damn beautiful. a masterpiece!

10. Sly5thAve - Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe (Kendrick Lamar Cover)

I don't actually know anything about the musician/s who did this but it's a cover of a Kendrick Lamar song. I think it's real beautiful. Will be interesting to hear what you think about the original track...

man I am stoked you like this one so much. Seth Frightening is a guy from my city who I've seen almost a dozen times by this point. This is my favourite song of his. A lot of his songs are quite weird and noisy but there are a few gems like this one.

woooo I'm glad you like it. Thank you!!

4. Opossom - Blue Meanies

5. Toro Y Moi - Rose Quartz

6. Dauwd - Ikopol

7. Baths - Miasma Sky

9. Squarepusher - My Sound -

10. Sly5thAve - Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe

https://mega.co.nz/#!oJAUHayZ!HMxl2Q8jzE6m4XPm-yY4uV1gYwVp-XSv-Izt4pnJCec

Intwisting! I've listened to quite a bit of Toro and Square pusher, (Coincidentally I happened to stumble a Dauwd track for the first time a couple days ago) but I didn't suspect it was them for a second. And yeah, I meant Frank Ocean lol. Going to start checking these out now.

Overall. I like how the tape is made into one big playlist. That way I don't know how many songs are on it or how long they take. It's one hour and includes music from different era while it still flows well. One little minus point might be that I already knew most songs on the tape and there was not much for me to discover. On the other hand, even though I knew most of it already, you still managed to place songs on it that I want to know more about and dig in, like track 01 and 13.

Thank you for the tape and going through the additional trouble to get it to me! I'm happy.

Glad you liked it!

Firstly, did not think any one else would have listed The Phoenix Foundation in this... very impressed, Italian Plastic!

1) Bright Grey, The Phoenix Foundation - I saw them live about a month ago, in a really intimate venue, it was a great show. My favourite New Zealand band! They can produce some magic at times.

2) The Golden Age- The Asteroids Galaxy Tour - Saw it in a Heineken ad a while ago

3) Girl Panic, Duran Duran -one of their newish songs.

4) Thunder Road, Bruce Springsteen

5) My Sweet Lord, George Harrison - Hmmm definitely has a religious element to it, but that guitar solo gets me every time!

6) Rock & Roll, The Velvet Underground

7) Severene, Thomas Newman- You would have heard this one in Skyfall, that whole soundtrack is breathtaking.

8) Intro, M83

9) Fine Line, Paul McCartney- Not exactly an oldie, this one was from the 00's I think.

10) Lighthouse, Newvillager- Not everyone's cup of tea! Worth a few listens though.

11) A Bad Dream, Keane

12) Breaking Down, Florence + The Machine (acoustic) - Not sure why I posted the acoustic version now, it is beautiful but I reckon listen to the normal version. My favourite from 'Ceremonials'

13) Wings, Haerts - I don't know anything about this band, but this song is the bomb. It reminds me of a modern day version of Fleetwood Mac.

14) Sticks & Stones, Jonsi - the song that plays at the end of How to Train Your Dragon!

I'm glad you liked it! I did underestimate your music knowledge I must say, and next time I'll be more hipster haha.

For anyone interested in these songs, here's a Spotify Playlist of all the songs (except for the Jonsi one): http://open.spotify.com/user/1235950158/playlist/2Teg5WmXaNzZQA6qalXCuw

Cheers

I suppose it’s important to say that I strongly recommend this tape to any potential downloaders.
In the first post of this thread I have added the links to the tapes if others want to download it.

OK, back from my holiday. I'm downloading my tape now so will be reviewing tomorrow.

As for the one I made:

I felt a bit discouraged to listen to it all since it was all one track. Took a bit of time to place the start time and end time of each song, but I got it down in the end. I very much liked the second half better than the first half though.

MIX TAPE REVIEW

01. 0:00-4:44

The intro was a good start, very ambient and electronic layered on with the drums. I liked the vocals in general, though not that great to me. The guitar wobbles remind me of an old song I listened to but don't remember. Overall, I like the atmosphere it builds up but song had a general awkward feeling to it.

02. 4:45-9:20

The strings were very Asian like in melody and very sensual, very sexy. The humming was so gentle and sweet, very motherly. The distorted male voice speaking Spanish was an interesting add on to this song, giving such a strange and positive feel. It felt like a song to dream and sleep to. "Cuando el sol cambia so color" How is that not strange and mystical? Loved it.

03. 9:22-13:50

The change in beat and genre was un-expecting but I loved the guitar delay and reverb I believe. It sounds a bit like garage rock and a bit experimental. The vocalist keeps the song in it's steady mood. What impressed me was the way the bass counterpoints the guitar on 12:48. It was a good song.

04. 13:51-18:30

I have a thing for piano songs heheh. This time, it's more tender and ambient, a bit neoclassical. Sounds a bit raw in sound. I felt surprised by the mode it transtitions from slow to fast and I felt like it was going to build up. In general, this song was sweet, but can feel dark and ominous, doubtful at times (I'm speaking of the mood of the song). I would love to know who this is. Reminded me of "Fjögur Píanó" by Sigur Rós.

05. 18:37-24:23

Nothing much to say about this song rather than it has a Beach Boys feel to it, a bit 60's influenced I guess. A lot of reverb and calm vocals; makes it seem like I'm in a dream, so it achieves its psychedelic side it seems to offer. It feels like a slowed song the Crystal Stilts would do.

06. 24:26-27:25

I definitely loved the guitar intro and smooth drum playing. I liked the use of distortion on the vocals and it matches the muffled sound of the guitar. I feel like her voice is reversed on some parts, am I right? I was surprised the song ended so abruptly though. Felt out of place like that. But, ignoring that I enjoyed the psychedelic feel.

07. 27:26-31:53

I favored the buzz of the guitar and that wonderful snare play as it slowed down to the real song. I feel like the guitar is the main focus of the song though the bass does get its attention. The atmosphere felt empty until I took a second listen. It feels like it was recorded before the 2000's but the vocals sound like Franz Ferdinand. I admired the drum solo at the end.

08. 31:54:-35:52

The intro was so spacey and reminds me of "The Great Gig in the Sky" by Pink Floyd. I preferred the suspense it showed and the chanting felt a lot like the vocals from Alt-J. Really imaginative song. I also felt like the piano reminded me a bit from the artist 36. Overall, nothing much to say but a nice interlude.

09. 35:53-38:21

I am certain this song was before the 2000's! :laugh3: This was so dreamy and mystical especially with the lyrics:"...strange effect on me, and I like it/ this feeling is love." This song too ends pretty abruptly like the sixth song, which is sad. It felt a bit like The Mamas and the Papas band to me. I liked the feel of the song. That much I can say.

10. 38:23-41:15

The vocals sound like Jimmy Hendrix. I hope I didn't mistake him for someone else. :embarrassed: This song is smooth and I like the funky texture of the song. I dig the lyrics and the blues feel it portrays. Sounds like I was going down a trip down older music. Let's see the next song.

11. 41:21-47:51

So very funky. Sounds like a bit of Honeycut, which is what the vocals remind me a lot. It's very catchy and I love it. ;) Later in the song, it also begins to remind me of The Sugarman 3. The bass is cherry and rad. I caught the "I was lost and now I'm found", thinking it sounded like they wanted to add a bit of "Amazing Grace" on here. Heh. Very good song.

12. 47:55-52:40

Man, this mix tape has gotten funker by the minute I'm scared now :cool:. This song was such a favorite! I wanna know who this is. The funk it dealt at the beginning along with the electronics was excellent. The rapping is very upbeat. I admire how this song gets a bit experimental towards the end of the song. The layering is fantastic and beautiful. Well done pick of a song.

13. 52:41-58:03

So far, this mix tape has been treating me well, though I feel like it has been sticking to a certain genre. The intro to the guitar is impressing and even more with the distortion. It's slow and paced and it reminded me of Tool, the style they do. I did not expect female vocals though but I like it. It has good drumming and that keeps the song very strong. Furthermore, the song was like a roller coaster of fast and slow, fast and slow. This is also a favorite on the mix tape.

14. 58:08-1:02:54

Sweet heavens, that intro! :dozey: The bass and guitar really show that avant garde, and it's so rad! I wanna know who this is. Really. This is really good. This song is very fast-paced and has an in-your-face attitude. The vocals remind me of the male vocals from Granville (a French band), and I really feel the garage rock this song slides against. The lead guitar was reminiscent of The Velvet Underground, with the small distortion it displays. A very crazy song and very fitting to the funk and experimental music this mix tape offers so far.

15. 1:02:57-1:15:32

This feels like a huge ride back to the music of the 60's and 70's. I favor the low tones of the song juxtaposed to the loud-ish drumming. The song gives the current theme of this last half of the mix tape, going slow and them fast and again. I feel like this reminds me a bit of Mutemath. This is very calm and soft. The vocals as it starts really accompany that feel, and I like the psychedelic tone this song has. This was surprisingly a long song, very progressive rock. Would like to know the artist to this one.

16. 1:15:33-1:20:04

Finally the last song :P I kid. I loved this mix tape. This song has to be my literal favorite as it is filled with a lot of soul and the vocals, very dominant, have a lot of passion to match that. The electronics are a nice layer, very climactic. The tone makes me feel very loose and considerate to what the guy has to say, and I would listen to this song all day. The guitar in the end feels very sweet and undisturbed as it has its way to complete the song. This is a nice way to end the mix tape.

Overall: Such a great mixtape though I still have no idea where the direction was supposed to be at. Very good ambiance at the first half and a lot of funk and soul at the last half. Can't wait to hear who the artists are. Cheers! :D

Apologies for the format. A few years ago when I was involved in an exchange Crests made me a tape in that way and I think it stops you looking at how long each song is so you don't know what's coming next. I can understand why it was so daunting though, so sorry about that. Thanks for the patience and getting through it!

As for the direction I was just trying to make it summery, but didn't spend too long ordering as I didn't know how to pitch it so in the end I just went with what felt right.

OK, here's the tracklisting:

1. The Flaming Lips - Are You A Hypnotist??

2. CocoRosie - Brazilian Sun

3. The Black Angels - Bad Vibrations

4. Goldmund - Threnody

5. Atlas Sound - Requiem For All The Lonely Teenagers With Passed Out Moms

6. Milly Mildish - J-Star

7. Tame Impala - Half Full Glass Of Wine

8. The Dead Texan - When I See Scissors, I Cannot Help But Think Of You

9. The Kinks - This Strange Effect

10. Captain Beefheart - Her Eyes Are A Blue Million Miles

11. Labi Siffre - I Got The

12. Beck - Cellphones Dead

13. Scout Niblett - Nevada

14. Brian Eno - Third Uncle

15. Connan Mockasin - Forever Dolphin Love (Live)

16. Bobby Womack - Please Forgive My Heart

OK, back from my holiday. I'm downloading my tape now so will be reviewing tomorrow.

As for the one I made:

Apologies for the format. A few years ago when I was involved in an exchange Crests made me a tape in that way and I think it stops you looking at how long each song is so you don't know what's coming next. I can understand why it was so daunting though, so sorry about that. Thanks for the patience and getting through it!

As for the direction I was just trying to make it summery, but didn't spend too long ordering as I didn't know how to pitch it so in the end I just went with what felt right.

OK, here's the tracklisting:

1. The Flaming Lips - Are You A Hypnotist??

2. CocoRosie - Brazilian Sun

3. The Black Angels - Bad Vibrations

4. Goldmund - Threnody

5. Atlas Sound - Requiem For All The Lonely Teenagers With Passed Out Moms

6. Milly Mildish - J-Star

7. Tame Impala - Half Full Glass Of Wine

8. The Dead Texan - When I See Scissors, I Cannot Help But Think Of You

9. The Kinks - This Strange Effect

10. Captain Beefheart - Her Eyes Are A Blue Million Miles

11. Labi Siffre - I Got The

12. Beck - Cellphones Dead

13. Scout Niblett - Nevada

14. Brian Eno - Third Uncle

15. Connan Mockasin - Forever Dolphin Love (Live)

16. Bobby Womack - Please Forgive My Heart

Goldmund and The Dead Texan. Yum.