✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mixtape Exchange XV (Summer edition)

Wyrd

OH SNAP. Hi, Jack! I wasn't thinking of you at all, especially since the first tape you made me was different from this one. (It's interesting to note, though, that you put Bloc Party on both of them.)

I was surprised to find out that Blur was responsible for Track 10. Thinking of it, it's weird that I made all those comments about the vocals when Damon Albarn is the frontman of both Blur and Gorillaz. I listen to Gorillaz and I quite like them, but for some reason, I feel like Blur doesn't have the same effect on me. I'm not really sure why that is. :shrug:

The other thing that I was surprised about is The Naked and Famous. I have heard a couple of their songs before and really disliked them; this one wasn't quite so bad, although I still wasn't a huge fan of it.

I will definitely look into some of this. If I had to give a favorite, it would definitely be Athlete, but I'm interested in more of The Wombats and Biffy Clyro, too. (Speaking of which, I've always wondered about this: How exactly do you pronounce Biffy Clyro?)

Thanks again, Jack, for a fine tape! I imagine I'll go back to it again as the remainder of this summer goes by. :hug:

It's different based on it being summer and the mood I'm in recently (more positive!) haha Also Bloc Party are awesome, who doesn't want them on a mixtape?

For the Blur track it's actually Graham Cox, the lead guitarist singing, not Albarn.

That's a shame about TNAF as I think they're quite good and a breathe of fresh air, never mind.

I downloaded Athlete's hits album which is called "Singles 01-10". It's brilliant and has over 30 songs on it that are all great. The Wombats currently have two albums and an E.P. and they're fantastic, each of them are great, quirky and enjoyable, well worth the money or the effort to find a torrent for haha. Biffy Clyro have a load of albums although I only have their latest two albums, Only Reveloutions and Opposites. Opposites is by far the best album I've bought this year!

No problem, enjoy listening to it, now with the tracklist. Hope if anyone else downloads it that they'll enjoy it too! :)

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Marco, I made your tape :curtain:

I'll put my comments in pink

Ok, it's time to review my tape. The title is "As vacant and thorny as summer could be... " and it's accompained by a nice artwork showing some pink flowers with a mist-like photographic filter. There's also this curious "readme" file:

this mixtape is supposed to be listened as an album - please listen to it as a whole. don't be distracted. tumblr isn't good for your health. also if you're too high then you might not want to listen to it. thank

Well, glad that I don't have a Tumblr nor I drink/smoke :P

You're lucky then :P

Anyway, let's "analise" the tape track-by-track:

1. You couldn't have started in a better way. This quite short instrumental track is based on a wah-wah synth, some electronic bell arpeggios and slowed down voice samples.

If I had to label it with a music genre, I'd say this is trip-hop (the percussions actually kind of remind me of Massive Attack, don't know why) but since arguements about music genres is usually confusing (and somewhat pointless), let's just say this is a really cool instrumental.

I'm not sure which genre this would be, but it's a really nice track. This is S u n d a y by Cristoph El Truento, a great NZ artist, which Eddie introduced me to

2. Electronic percussion again and what seems to be a..... marimba? A female voice sings something like "I'm in love with your brother..." and then is joined by what seems like a falsetto choir. Not really my cup of tea, but I still really enjoyed it.

Pass This On by The Knife. I really wanted to put this on this tape because I couldn't get this song out of my head ever since the beginning of the summer. It's such a summer jam and I love it

3. Ok, this is the first WTF moment of the mixtape (and there are some). Some oooing vocals introduce the song, then a hip-hopish beat kicks in and a guy singing in falsetto "Don't fuck with me, don't fuck with me". I actually lol'd when I first heard it. There's also a lo-fi synth that makes the song even more curious. It's superweird, I love it.

Everything Jai Paul related is a bit WTF. He's got so much talent and produces great tracks, but he never releases anything. He has only released two singles so far in his career. This is a version of BTSTU from his leaked fake (but worth checking out) album.

4. A complete departure from the previous songs' style. This one feels more like a normal indie rock song based on acoustic and electric guitar. The "sustained" vocals kind of remind me of MGMT (just with a lower register).

This isn't just normal indie rock, Deerhunter have pretty much experimented with almost every genre possible in their career. This is Memory Boy, one of the singles from their excellent 2010 album Halcyon Digest.

5. Sarts with background noises and a quiet keyboard melody, then a downtempo beat, but the centerpiece of the song are powerful (that's the first word I can think of) female vocals. I really liked the song in the beginning,but becames a bit repetitive after a while. Not really sure, since I'm not familiar with her work, but I think this is Bjork.

Yeah, this is Possibly Maybe by Bjork. Her album Post is one of my all time favourites.

6. Another indie rock number, this time with a happier feel than before. The line "She fell in love with the drummer" is reapeated a plenty of time, and during choruses a "flying" synth adds even more colour, making it a very cheerful song.

This is such a summer chill anthem full of nostalgia, and I just needed to have this on this tape. Heavy Metal Drummer, one of my favourite Wilco songs.

7. Very short track based on what seems an old Moog synth and vocals singing "Looking around to...". Quite intriguing.

It's actually "Who could I run to?" and it's also the title of this Lontalius song. Lontalius is Eddie's (Italian Plastic) band and this is the closing track from their most recent ep. Check it out!

8. A little creepy instrumental break. The track is a cool piece os noise music, based on what seems a distorted guitar. Totally dig this.

This mixtape was first meant to be split into two parts, the first part would end with the previous song (Who Could I Run To?), and then this song would lead into the second part. But in the end I decided not to split it, cause everything flew really nicely together. This a little instrumental by The Knife, the same band that made the track number 2.

9. Woah, so much energy in this one! The shoegaze-like guitar and very faded vocals give it a "floating at high speed" vibe and the synth melody is just awesome.

Oh yeaah, this is the song that I've been listening to all the time this summer. Ever since I discovered DIIV, I've been kind of addicted to them. This is Wait, from their debut album Oshin released last year.

10. "Take my hand and pray with me, my final days are coming... " someone in falsetto sings over gentle guitar arpeggios and drums that almost sound like rippling water. Towards the end the song reaches a climax but without sounding bombastic or something. Sad but lovely song.

Another single from Deerhunter's Halcyon Digest. This one is called Helicopter. I discovered them this year when they released Monomania, and I fell in love with them instantly.

11. Bubbling synths and female vocals with lots of effects are the centerpiece of this song. I don't really understand what she's singing, but the song gives me a sense of fear and it's somehow relaxing at the same time. I really love it.

This is my favourite song from Crystal Castles's third album. I grew tired of the majority of the songs from that album, but this one just never gets boring. It's probably the Crystal Castles song that sounds the least like them, and that's why I love it. The synth riff is so catchy and Alice's vocals are really elegant and relaxing. This is called Affection.

12. The beginning made me think this is just a normal hip-hop song. Well, I was totally wrong. The rapping vocals last only for a few seconds, then an ambient layer "engulfs" the song and weird sounds and voice samples follow. The rapping vocals seem to start again but then they're interrupted again by a huge synth break. One of my favourites so far.

This is the best example of James Blake's talent, because this doesn't sound anything like his other works. And it's such a grand closer from his album Overgrown, released earlier this year. It's called "Every Day I Ran (Bonus Track)".

13. A fast-paced guitar based song now. I really like the wall of sound it creates and the changes of tempo during the song. It has a progressive nature, me likes.

This is Obique City, the closer from Phoenix's new album Bankrupt!. I put this here mainly because this synth heavy song ends with acoustic guitar, and the next song start with the acoustic guitar. I really wanted the songs to segue really nicely.

14. Acoustic guitar again, but this time with a way more mellow mood. What sounds like a Hammond organ and some electric guitar breaks give it a quite nostalgic feel that almost make it seem like a song from the '70s.

Another one of my favourite Wilco songs, this one is I'll Fight. It's so lovely and nice, I just had to put it here.

15. A soothing piano melody that reminds me of Becalmed by Brian Eno is joined by male vocals again with a lot of sustain. The drums and synths give it a very dreamy feel, making this song one of my favourites of the mixtape. At this point, the you may think the mixtape is ending but, after 3 minutes of silence...

A Dedication from Washed Out's debut album. I really like his style, it sounds so innocent while the cover of his debut album is... well... :blank: Anyway, he's releasing his second album Paracosm next week, and I'm really looking forward to it.

BONUS TRACK ...BAM! I can't help thinking that this song was placed here with the only purpouse of trolling me, sorry :P. Some K-Pop stuff hits you without any warning. The "smooky girl, smooky girl" chorus is really catchy, I have to admit it. Indeed an oringinal way to end a mixtape.

Hahahahaha, mission accomplished for me. I really wanted to put a K-pop song somewhere in this tape and then Taameen provided this one. This is Smoky Girl by a band with the best name ever - "Music Boys Live In Absolute Quality".

Overall, I really loved it. You managed to blend toghether very different music genres without making it sound like a "shuffle playlist". Thank you! :nice:

That was my goal. I wanted this one to be different from my previous mixtapes. And I wanted to make a real summer mixtape. You say you loved it so I guess I succeeded. Thank you! :wacky:

Artwork:

15hodwo.png

Tracklisting:

1. Cristoph El Truento - S u n d a y
  2. The Knife - Pass This On
  3. Jai Paul - BTSTU
  4. Deerhunter - Memory Boy
  5. Bjork - Possibly Maybe
  6. Wilco - Heavy Metal Drummer
  7. Lontalius - Who Could I Run To?
  8. The Knife - Crake
  9. DIIV - Wait
  10. Deerhunter - Helicopter
  11. Crystal Castles - Affection
  12. James Blake - "Every Day I Ran (Bonus Track)"
  13. Phoenix - Oblique City
  14. Wilco - I'll Fight
  15. Washed Out - A Dedication

Bonus track:
  16. Music Boys Live In Absolute Quality - Smoky Girl

Download link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3lep4e

That was my goal. I wanted this one to be different from my previous mixtapes. And I wanted to make a real summer mixtape. You say you loved it so I guess I succeeded. Thank you! :wacky:

Artwork:

15hodwo.png

Tracklisting:

3. Jai Paul - BTSTU
  8. The Knife - Crake
  9. DIIV - Wait
  14. Wilco - I'll Fight

Bonus track:

Download link:

Haha, I don't know why but I've been suspecting it was you since I first opened the readme file :P

Trying to hide your identity was probably difficult for you, since we know what our music tastes are (I had the same problem when I was your partner back in October) but you did a good job with that too!

I've been meaning to start listening to some of those bands for quite a long time and now I'll definitely listen to more of their stuff. Also, Eddie rocks.

And thank you again for the awesome tape :thumbsup:

Haha, I don't know why but I've been suspecting it was you since I first opened the readme file :P

Trying to hide your identity was probably difficult for you, since we know what our music tastes are (I had the same problem when I was your partner back in October) but you did a good job with that too!

I've been meaning to start listening to some of those bands for quite a long time and now I'll definitely listen to more of their stuff. Also, Eddie rocks.

And thank you again for the awesome tape :thumbsup:

I guess I should stop putting readme files in my tapes. You're welcome! :nice:

By the way, Ouch, I do intend to give you a proper reply to your review of my tape. As in discussion of the individual tracks. I realise now I didn't even put a bloody link on my reply. Or at least I don't remember doing. I was just back from holiday and my head was all over the place.

Artwork:

15hodwo.png

Tracklisting:

3. Jai Paul - BTSTU
  8. The Knife - Crake
  9. DIIV - Wait
  14. Wilco - I'll Fight

Bonus track:

Download link:

fran!!

Billy used Morricone. :surprised: What soundtrack is that from?

You like Morricone too? :wreck:

The Mission! Once Upon a Time in America was brilliant as well. Deborah's Theme man...chills everywhere.

http://youtu.be/7NBz4R7wlLM?t=24m12s

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0jFrXO22_o]Deborah's Theme - Once Upon A Time In America (Ennio Morricone) - YouTube[/ame]

Mixtape Review

----->SKIP TO DOTED LINE FOR REVIEW.

Sorry that it took me so long to write the review, this week has been crazy, I got an email on thursday about a job interview (which I have been waiting for months) and have been working my way to try to find a way to get there since I do not have a car or a license yet, so I have been trying to fix that for the last couple of days. Today I got the permit, but I have to wait two months to get my license -.-'.... before that my time had been consumed volunteering at a park, and getting home completely exhausted.

I listened to the mixtape a few times. I know the songs had names, dividing the mixtape in parts I think, but when I first put the mixtape on my itunes I realized that the tracks were not in order, so when I put them on again, the names disappeared. It also has a lovely landscape as the album artwork, so whoever made it put a lot of effort into it :) thank you. Will keep my review short because I woke up at 6am today and had to walk like 4km, so i am a bit exhausted, but i did not want to make my mixtape maker wait any more.

------> (I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS LANE CAN BE CALLED "DOTED" SINCE THEY ARE HYPHENS)

THE STORM

Track 01. An electronic song, which reminds me of this: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scYmnVGD4sQ]Maxxie Church Dance Routine - Skins - YouTube[/ame]

Does it says "dos"?(two in spanish) it is all i get lol. It goes on like that with the repetition of the beat, and pauses every now and then.

Track 02. This song has a really nice intro. I cannot really tell what they are singing. It is a sad song i think, from what I can get for the way that they are singing and then guitar riffs.

Track 03. Another electronic song, a tone in this one sounds like a man hammering a large metal pin to the ground, which is the most distinctive part of the song. No lyrics in this one, and cannot help but feeling it repetitive.

Track 04. This one starts with a creepy (do not know if it is the best word for it) sound, that continues throughout the song. Then you have soft voices singing "turn around" i think. I felt like in the middle of a horror movie with this one, specially after the bang :S

Track 05. This one reminds me of the video of song one again. It has that fast electronic beat to it, and it has a robotic voice speaking really quick. It pauses and then continues, with different sounds coming into the song, which makes it a fun song to listen to.

Track 06. A faint guitar sound. And then the electric music starts. Have a man yelling something and then fading. It goes on like that.

Track 07. Another electronic song... :uhoh: it goes along with the other ones, the beat and the pauses. It is one of those strong electronic songs, with intense beats and such. Not sure about how to feel with so many electronic songs lol. I had that phase a while ago, so I like it, but I would not go back jaja

Track 08. An electronic one, but with lyrics, which I can barely understand. I like the beat when the song actually starts. It is a combination of many different sounds, so it feels a bit convoluted.

Track 09. Yay! Piano! jaja. It is a very slow piano song, which coming from the last song, is really different. It has long pauses, and only a few chords in between, with a windy sound in the background.

Track 10. A fast paced song, the sound of the tones remind me of the water drops falling onto plastic pipes lol. Then you get the start to the song, steady beats, and a faint voice, so again, I cannot fully tell what they are singing. It has a piano interlude, which is really sweet.

Track 11. Soft beats, which give start to a fast-paced electronicish(?) beat, which goes on, with the song ending in the initial soft beats going fast.

Track 12. A lovely guitar riff, which made me think of Kodaline for a little bit. Again, soft voices.

Overall, I liked the tape, but it does not really go with me completely, so I am sorry the songs did not blow my mind if that is what you were expecting for.

Thanks for the effort you put into it, and sorry my itunes deleted the song's names.

Hi Emma, I made your tape. Sorry if you found it too long, I did try to stay under 70 minutes, and I made it barely jaja

You were really hard to shop for, since after doing a bit of creeping, I could only find that you like The National, which is a band I just started to listen to -.-', so I decided to put some different genres there as I could.

Most of the songs are related in some form at going around the world, and how some people make that trip better, sometimes.

Both the song in spanish and in french had the lyrics in them, if you are curious to know what they say :)

Okay so review time. I'm going to be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of the mixtape as a whole. It was just very long at 19 tracks :uhoh: It was kind of an odd mix. But a few good tracks in there.

1. A bit of electronic. It's short but a nice start to the tape.

A short instrumental from Architecture in Helsinki. Right now it is one of my favorite bands, and since i heard this song I wanted it to be opening the mixtape.

2. The feel continues with this one. I do really like this one. A slightly rockery feel.

The Kopecky Family Band. I am starting to discover them, and this is the first song I heard from them. I am glad you enjoyed it!

3. A slow start, but picks up. Quite nice :nice: it reminds me of radical face.

Jaja It reminds you of Radical Face probably because it is them :) I heard this song a while ago, and I really believe they are an amazing band, but like so many others, I feel they are a bit underrated :(

4. Ohh Spanish (well, it sounds like Spanish). I honestly wasn't a huge fan of this song. I didn't mind the chorus, but I couldn't wait for it to end :uhoh:

It is Spanish :) Calle 13. It is one of my favorite latinamerican bands. The song talks about life itself, and sharing it with someone else, going around the world.

5. A really nice summery feeling song. I liked it, but it was not memorable.

This is the Local Natives! It is one of my favorite songs from them, along with song 19 jaja. I really enjoy the lyrics to this one, and that is why I put it here.

6. Ehh, not a fan of this. I just don't like the singers and I found it a bit annoying.

this is Dirt Poor Robins. I am sorry you did not really like it. It was the last song I added to the mixtape. I like how it starts sort of slow, and then it goes into a more intense beat.

7. A French singer now, a nice chill summer track.

This is Stacey Kent. I have not heard much from her, but the lyrics to this song are just so relatable in some form, at least for me. It is about the ending to a relationship, and all the little things you get from it, basically.

8. An instrumental track now. It was just very repetitive and long :uhoh:

Jajaja this is Ratatat. I wanted to put them in because I like to listen to their songs when I am walking back home, or riding a bike. I enjoy the random bits and parts it has. Sorry you did not like it much

9. A bit more of a rocky feel, sounds like The Gossip :wacko: a cool song, but I wouldn't be running to add it to my ipod.

This is Gossip! It is one of my favorite bands, and i also think they are a bit underrated. She has such a pretty voice!

10. Keeping up with the rockier feel. A male singer with a typical rocker voice :uhoh: which i'm personal not a huge fan of generally.

Billy Boy on Posion are no longer together, but I really like this song from them. It is very rockery, and I really enjoy the guitar riffs.

11. OOOOH animal collective. I do love this song. It is my summer jam. So good choice there.

Yes! Animal Collective! I am not sure if you got the album artwork for the songs, but all of them were different optical illusions, idea that I got from the original artwork for this song :) I am really glad you liked it :)

12. ewhhh no. Not a fan of the shouty sounding singers D; the song itself is nice and summery. I do like that.

This is one of my favorite songs in this mixtape jajaja! It is Architecture in Helsinki again, I really love the flow of the song, and the summery feeling to it, it reminds me of a calypso song, which immediately takes me to a beach basically jaja. Sorry you did not like the shouty part!

13. Meh, ... a synth/indie track with a definite 90's feel

It is a 90's song :) It is from Magnetic Fields. I listened to it and just fell for it.

14. An okay song, like it was grand in the mix. But again, I wouldn't be rushing to buy it.

This is one of m favorite-recently-discovered bands in my case. OK Go. I wanted a more calmed song following the previous one, so I went for this song. Another song about break ups lol

15. Quite a nice song, female singer with a quirky feel. It has a good upbeat feel to it.

This is April Smith And The Great Picture Show, I just started listening to them, and I really like this one. Glad you enjoyed it.

16. Electronic song again, I like this one :wacko: is it discovery?

It is Discovery! I like this song quite a lot. Most of the bands I put in here I recently started listening to them, and this is one of them as well.

17. Oh a kind of rockier track again, with the same kind of typical rocker voice. I did not like this one at all. I just found it annoying.

The Violent Femmes. It makes for a great running song jajaja. Sorry that you did not like it.

18. The song from Madilta, nice memories of this song, but it feels weird in the mix.

I was getting ready to close it here :) I had not listened to this song in such a long time, and then I listened to it a couple of months ago, and just got stuck to my head. It is a fun song, so why not?

19. And ending with Local Natives :wacko: i do quite like them.

Yes, the Local Natives again :) They used this song at the end of their concert, and I since I wanted to have it ending the mixtape, just because it gives you what you need for a good closure. You have the soft beats, followed by the instrumental powerful interlude, to go back to the soft and then ending. It is also one of my favorite from them, and I am glad the mixtape ended with a song you liked :)

Overall, it did have a very good summer feel to it. But I just thought there was no great flow to it :shrug: I liked some of the more electronic tracks, but I wasn't a fan of the rockier side to it. Sorry for being so critical :sad:

It is ok, not everybody has the same tastes in music :) I am glad you enjoyed part of it though :)

Link

Tracklist:

01. One Heavy February - Architecture In Helsinki

02. Heart Beat - The Kopecky Family Band

03. Always Gold - Radical Face

04. La Vuelta Al Mundo - Calle 13 (translation)

05. World News - Local Natives

06. Great Vacation - Dirt Poor Robin

07. Ces Petits Riens - Stacey Kent (translation)

08. Loud Pipes - Ratatat

09. Dimestore Diamond - Gossip

10. On My Way - Billy Boy On Poison

11. My Girls - Animal Collective

12. Heart It Races - Architecture In Helsinki

13. Strange Powers - Magnetic Fields

14. Oh, Lately It's So Quiet - OK Go

15. Movie Loves A Screen - April Smith And The Great Picture Show

16. Swing Tree - Discovery

17. Add It Up - Violent Femmes

18. Send Me On My Way - Rusted Root

19. Sun Hands - Local Natives

Sorry that it took me so long to write the review, this week has been crazy, I got an email on thursday about a job interview (which I have been waiting for months) and have been working my way to try to find a way to get there since I do not have a car or a license yet, so I have been trying to fix that for the last couple of days. Today I got the permit, but I have to wait two months to get my license -.-'.... before that my time had been consumed volunteering at a park, and getting home completely exhausted.

I listened to the mixtape a few times. I know the songs had names, dividing the mixtape in parts I think, but when I first put the mixtape on my itunes I realized that the tracks were not in order, so when I put them on again, the names disappeared. It also has a lovely landscape as the album artwork, so whoever made it put a lot of effort into it :) thank you. Will keep my review short because I woke up at 6am today and had to walk like 4km, so i am a bit exhausted, but i did not want to make my mixtape maker wait any more.

------> (I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS LANE CAN BE CALLED "DOTED" SINCE THEY ARE HYPHENS)

THE STORM

Track 01. An electronic song, which reminds me of this:

Does it says "dos"?(two in spanish) it is all i get lol. It goes on like that with the repetition of the beat, and pauses every now and then.

Track 02. This song has a really nice intro. I cannot really tell what they are singing. It is a sad song i think, from what I can get for the way that they are singing and then guitar riffs.

Track 03. Another electronic song, a tone in this one sounds like a man hammering a large metal pin to the ground, which is the most distinctive part of the song. No lyrics in this one, and cannot help but feeling it repetitive.

Track 04. This one starts with a creepy (do not know if it is the best word for it) sound, that continues throughout the song. Then you have soft voices singing "turn around" i think. I felt like in the middle of a horror movie with this one, specially after the bang :S

Track 05. This one reminds me of the video of song one again. It has that fast electronic beat to it, and it has a robotic voice speaking really quick. It pauses and then continues, with different sounds coming into the song, which makes it a fun song to listen to.

Track 06. A faint guitar sound. And then the electric music starts. Have a man yelling something and then fading. It goes on like that.

Track 07. Another electronic song... :uhoh: it goes along with the other ones, the beat and the pauses. It is one of those strong electronic songs, with intense beats and such. Not sure about how to feel with so many electronic songs lol. I had that phase a while ago, so I like it, but I would not go back jaja

Track 08. An electronic one, but with lyrics, which I can barely understand. I like the beat when the song actually starts. It is a combination of many different sounds, so it feels a bit convoluted.

Track 09. Yay! Piano! jaja. It is a very slow piano song, which coming from the last song, is really different. It has long pauses, and only a few chords in between, with a windy sound in the background.

Track 10. A fast paced song, the sound of the tones remind me of the water drops falling onto plastic pipes lol. Then you get the start to the song, steady beats, and a faint voice, so again, I cannot fully tell what they are singing. It has a piano interlude, which is really sweet.

Track 11. Soft beats, which give start to a fast-paced electronicish(?) beat, which goes on, with the song ending in the initial soft beats going fast.

Track 12. A lovely guitar riff, which made me think of Kodaline for a little bit. Again, soft voices.

Overall, I liked the tape, but it does not really go with me completely, so I am sorry the songs did not blow my mind if that is what you were expecting for.

Thanks for the effort you put into it, and sorry my itunes deleted the song's names.

Maxxie and Skins :dazzled:

Well, I'm mostly familiar with his work because my dad loves Westerns, and Morricone did the soundtrack for such works as the Dollars Trilogy. :shrug:

He also did the music for The Good , The Bad, and The Ugly. Sorry I'm a soundtrack nut and his music is brilliant.

I felt a bit discouraged to listen to it all since it was all one track. Took a bit of time to place the start time and end time of each song, but I got it down in the end. I very much liked the second half better than the first half though.

MIX TAPE REVIEW

01. 0:00-4:44

The intro was a good start, very ambient and electronic layered on with the drums. I liked the vocals in general, though not that great to me. The guitar wobbles remind me of an old song I listened to but don't remember. Overall, I like the atmosphere it builds up but song had a general awkward feeling to it.

02. 4:45-9:20

The strings were very Asian like in melody and very sensual, very sexy. The humming was so gentle and sweet, very motherly. The distorted male voice speaking Spanish was an interesting add on to this song, giving such a strange and positive feel. It felt like a song to dream and sleep to. "Cuando el sol cambia so color" How is that not strange and mystical? Loved it.

03. 9:22-13:50

The change in beat and genre was un-expecting but I loved the guitar delay and reverb I believe. It sounds a bit like garage rock and a bit experimental. The vocalist keeps the song in it's steady mood. What impressed me was the way the bass counterpoints the guitar on 12:48. It was a good song.

04. 13:51-18:30

I have a thing for piano songs heheh. This time, it's more tender and ambient, a bit neoclassical. Sounds a bit raw in sound. I felt surprised by the mode it transtitions from slow to fast and I felt like it was going to build up. In general, this song was sweet, but can feel dark and ominous, doubtful at times (I'm speaking of the mood of the song). I would love to know who this is. Reminded me of "Fjögur Píanó" by Sigur Rós.

05. 18:37-24:23

Nothing much to say about this song rather than it has a Beach Boys feel to it, a bit 60's influenced I guess. A lot of reverb and calm vocals; makes it seem like I'm in a dream, so it achieves its psychedelic side it seems to offer. It feels like a slowed song the Crystal Stilts would do.

06. 24:26-27:25

I definitely loved the guitar intro and smooth drum playing. I liked the use of distortion on the vocals and it matches the muffled sound of the guitar. I feel like her voice is reversed on some parts, am I right? I was surprised the song ended so abruptly though. Felt out of place like that. But, ignoring that I enjoyed the psychedelic feel.

07. 27:26-31:53

I favored the buzz of the guitar and that wonderful snare play as it slowed down to the real song. I feel like the guitar is the main focus of the song though the bass does get its attention. The atmosphere felt empty until I took a second listen. It feels like it was recorded before the 2000's but the vocals sound like Franz Ferdinand. I admired the drum solo at the end.

08. 31:54:-35:52

The intro was so spacey and reminds me of "The Great Gig in the Sky" by Pink Floyd. I preferred the suspense it showed and the chanting felt a lot like the vocals from Alt-J. Really imaginative song. I also felt like the piano reminded me a bit from the artist 36. Overall, nothing much to say but a nice interlude.

09. 35:53-38:21

I am certain this song was before the 2000's! :laugh3: This was so dreamy and mystical especially with the lyrics:"...strange effect on me, and I like it/ this feeling is love." This song too ends pretty abruptly like the sixth song, which is sad. It felt a bit like The Mamas and the Papas band to me. I liked the feel of the song. That much I can say.

10. 38:23-41:15

The vocals sound like Jimmy Hendrix. I hope I didn't mistake him for someone else. :embarrassed: This song is smooth and I like the funky texture of the song. I dig the lyrics and the blues feel it portrays. Sounds like I was going down a trip down older music. Let's see the next song.

11. 41:21-47:51

So very funky. Sounds like a bit of Honeycut, which is what the vocals remind me a lot. It's very catchy and I love it. ;) Later in the song, it also begins to remind me of The Sugarman 3. The bass is cherry and rad. I caught the "I was lost and now I'm found", thinking it sounded like they wanted to add a bit of "Amazing Grace" on here. Heh. Very good song.

12. 47:55-52:40

Man, this mix tape has gotten funker by the minute I'm scared now :cool:. This song was such a favorite! I wanna know who this is. The funk it dealt at the beginning along with the electronics was excellent. The rapping is very upbeat. I admire how this song gets a bit experimental towards the end of the song. The layering is fantastic and beautiful. Well done pick of a song.

13. 52:41-58:03

So far, this mix tape has been treating me well, though I feel like it has been sticking to a certain genre. The intro to the guitar is impressing and even more with the distortion. It's slow and paced and it reminded me of Tool, the style they do. I did not expect female vocals though but I like it. It has good drumming and that keeps the song very strong. Furthermore, the song was like a roller coaster of fast and slow, fast and slow. This is also a favorite on the mix tape.

14. 58:08-1:02:54

Sweet heavens, that intro! :dozey: The bass and guitar really show that avant garde, and it's so rad! I wanna know who this is. Really. This is really good. This song is very fast-paced and has an in-your-face attitude. The vocals remind me of the male vocals from Granville (a French band), and I really feel the garage rock this song slides against. The lead guitar was reminiscent of The Velvet Underground, with the small distortion it displays. A very crazy song and very fitting to the funk and experimental music this mix tape offers so far.

15. 1:02:57-1:15:32

This feels like a huge ride back to the music of the 60's and 70's. I favor the low tones of the song juxtaposed to the loud-ish drumming. The song gives the current theme of this last half of the mix tape, going slow and them fast and again. I feel like this reminds me a bit of Mutemath. This is very calm and soft. The vocals as it starts really accompany that feel, and I like the psychedelic tone this song has. This was surprisingly a long song, very progressive rock. Would like to know the artist to this one.

16. 1:15:33-1:20:04

Finally the last song :P I kid. I loved this mix tape. This song has to be my literal favorite as it is filled with a lot of soul and the vocals, very dominant, have a lot of passion to match that. The electronics are a nice layer, very climactic. The tone makes me feel very loose and considerate to what the guy has to say, and I would listen to this song all day. The guitar in the end feels very sweet and undisturbed as it has its way to complete the song. This is a nice way to end the mix tape.

Overall: Such a great mixtape though I still have no idea where the direction was supposed to be at. Very good ambiance at the first half and a lot of funk and soul at the last half. Can't wait to hear who the artists are. Cheers! :D

OK, so I will reply in more detail now and actually post a link to the mixtape (though as warned, it's all on one mp3 track rather than split into different ones). Sorry for the delay.

Track one was The Flaming Lips with a song from their Yoshimi album. Got great reviews at the time and is still seen as a classic. I love the song for its drums. I think the video on youtube for it sums it up well. It isn't suitable for epileptics, though. I think some people struggle to get over the lead singers voice, as he sings higher pitched than a man with his voice traditionally would in most bands. Once it clicks they are really an awesome band to get into, and have a really varied discography spanning what must be nearly three decades now.

Track two was CocoRosie, with vocals provided by Devendra Banhart. They recorded his part by ringing him up and making him sing down the phone which I think is nice. It's quite different and nice and summery (as the entire mixtape was supposed to be) with elements of opera and the spanish singing.

Track three was The Black Angels with Bad Vibrations. It kind of reminds me of The Doors meets Joy Division, but maybe that's just me.

Track four was Threnody by Goldmund. I've only recently found this song. Originally I heard it in the background of a youtube clip of philosopher Alan Watts speaking and it was very nice indeed. I tracked it down and it turns out there's quite a few gems on that album. This remains my favourite though. Must learn it some day.

Track five was a track taken from the Deerhunter music blog, so unreleased as far as I'm aware. I have it on my ipod as being by Atlas Sound (the lead singer of Deerhunter's solo work, for those who don't know) but it's not. I'm not a fan of the title of the song as it sounds so bloody emo, but I really like the chilled out nature of the song, plus the arpeggios.

Track six is J-Star by Milly Mildish. It's up on soundcloud. I like the lyrics and beachy feel to the song. It's my friend, and member of my band (I avoided putting in anything I had a hand in making, but figured this would be acceptable). There are indeed reversed vocals in it.

Track seven is Tame Impala with a song from their self titled EP. I really love the guitar. It was recorded at various dates between 2003 and 2005.

Track eight is The Dead Texan. Another emo title for a song, but I really liked the album this was on. Figured it would be useful to have a slow song after the manic ending to the last one.

Yeah, track nine was quite a bit before the 2000's, by a little band called the Kinks way back in '65. A studio recording was never released by the Kinks themselves, but there are live versions of it available. This is supposedly from master tapes, according to youtube.

Track ten is Captain Beefheart. He sings with a blues voice so is often not recognised as a white man, don't worry. I only found this song recently. I had heard a bit of his other stuff, and liked it (though some is hard to get in to). The White Stripes actually made an EP entirely of Beefheart songs. This song featured on The Big Lebowski soundtrack, though I've only learnt this after hearing it.

Track eleven is Labi Siffre with 'I Got The'. It's been sampled by both Jay Z and Eminem (in The Streets are Watching and My Name Is, respectively) and I love it for its changes and energy. Plus I love that bass line when it breaks down. Seems weird that this is by the same guy who did 'Something Inside So Strong', a song that is completely different and that annoys me so much.

Track twelve was Beck with Cellphone's Dead. I just love it. From the bassline (influenced by Herbie Hancock's Chameleon) to the layered vocals towards the end.

Track thirteen was Scout Niblett with Nevada. I first heard her support Daniel Johnston in Manchester a good few years ago. This song stood out on the night and to be honest I've never really listened to anything else by her, even though I've got the discography. I need to at some point.

Track fourteen was Brian Eno with Third Uncle. I figured it would fit onto a Cplay board given his connections with the band but decided to go with something a bit more post punk rather than his ambient work (which I love) given that I have other bands on the mixtape to provide that. Plus I think this song is very much overlooked.

Track fifteen was a very long live track by a guy called Connan Mockasin. I've only come across him recently, and unfortunately he's only released one album so far, but I love it. It's a regular track playing in my car. Once again it's the energy I love. Plus the sounds they get, even though it's live. I prefer the live version to the studio version though both are good.

Track sixteen is Bobby Womack with a song on his album that was produced by Damon Albarn. I really love the mix of soul and a more modern instrumentation. I thought it was a nice closer.

So a reminder of the tracklisting:

1. The Flaming Lips - Are You A Hypnotist??

2. CocoRosie - Brazilian Sun

3. The Black Angels - Bad Vibrations

4. Goldmund - Threnody

5. Deerhunter - Requiem For All The Lonely Teenagers With Passed Out Moms

6. Milly Mildish - J-Star

7. Tame Impala - Half Full Glass Of Wine

8. The Dead Texan - When I See Scissors, I Cannot Help But Think Of You

9. The Kinks - This Strange Effect

10. Captain Beefheart - Her Eyes Are A Blue Million Miles

11. Labi Siffre - I Got The

12. Beck - Cellphones Dead

13. Scout Niblett - Nevada

14. Brian Eno - Third Uncle

15. Connan Mockasin - Forever Dolphin Love (Live)

16. Bobby Womack - Please Forgive My Heart

And the link to the music is: http://www.sendspace.com/file/rogyyl

OK, so I will reply in more detail now and actually post a link to the mixtape (though as warned, it's all on one mp3 track rather than split into different ones). Sorry for the delay.

Track one was The Flaming Lips with a song from their Yoshimi album. Got great reviews at the time and is still seen as a classic. I love the song for its drums. I think the video on youtube for it sums it up well. It isn't suitable for epileptics, though. I think some people struggle to get over the lead singers voice, as he sings higher pitched than a man with his voice traditionally would in most bands. Once it clicks they are really an awesome band to get into, and have a really varied discography spanning what must be nearly three decades now.

Track two was CocoRosie, with vocals provided by Devendra Banhart. They recorded his part by ringing him up and making him sing down the phone which I think is nice. It's quite different and nice and summery (as the entire mixtape was supposed to be) with elements of opera and the spanish singing.

Track three was The Black Angels with Bad Vibrations. It kind of reminds me of The Doors meets Joy Division, but maybe that's just me.

Track four was Threnody by Goldmund. I've only recently found this song. Originally I heard it in the background of a youtube clip of philosopher Alan Watts speaking and it was very nice indeed. I tracked it down and it turns out there's quite a few gems on that album. This remains my favourite though. Must learn it some day.

Track five was a track taken from the Deerhunter music blog, so unreleased as far as I'm aware. I have it on my ipod as being by Atlas Sound (the lead singer of Deerhunter's solo work, for those who don't know) but it's not. I'm not a fan of the title of the song as it sounds so bloody emo, but I really like the chilled out nature of the song, plus the arpeggios.

Track six is J-Star by Milly Mildish. It's up on soundcloud. I like the lyrics and beachy feel to the song. It's my friend, and member of my band (I avoided putting in anything I had a hand in making, but figured this would be acceptable). There are indeed reversed vocals in it.

Track seven is Tame Impala with a song from their self titled EP. I really love the guitar. It was recorded at various dates between 2003 and 2005.

Track eight is The Dead Texan. Another emo title for a song, but I really liked the album this was on. Figured it would be useful to have a slow song after the manic ending to the last one.

Yeah, track nine was quite a bit before the 2000's, by a little band called the Kinks way back in '65. A studio recording was never released by the Kinks themselves, but there are live versions of it available. This is supposedly from master tapes, according to youtube.

Track ten is Captain Beefheart. He sings with a blues voice so is often not recognised as a white man, don't worry. I only found this song recently. I had heard a bit of his other stuff, and liked it (though some is hard to get in to). The White Stripes actually made an EP entirely of Beefheart songs. This song featured on The Big Lebowski soundtrack, though I've only learnt this after hearing it.

Track eleven is Labi Siffre with 'I Got The'. It's been sampled by both Jay Z and Eminem (in The Streets are Watching and My Name Is, respectively) and I love it for its changes and energy. Plus I love that bass line when it breaks down. Seems weird that this is by the same guy who did 'Something Inside So Strong', a song that is completely different and that annoys me so much.

Track twelve was Beck with Cellphone's Dead. I just love it. From the bassline (influenced by Herbie Hancock's Chameleon) to the layered vocals towards the end.

Track thirteen was Scout Niblett with Nevada. I first heard her support Daniel Johnston in Manchester a good few years ago. This song stood out on the night and to be honest I've never really listened to anything else by her, even though I've got the discography. I need to at some point.

Track fourteen was Brian Eno with Third Uncle. I figured it would fit onto a Cplay board given his connections with the band but decided to go with something a bit more post punk rather than his ambient work (which I love) given that I have other bands on the mixtape to provide that. Plus I think this song is very much overlooked.

Track fifteen was a very long live track by a guy called Connan Mockasin. I've only come across him recently, and unfortunately he's only released one album so far, but I love it. It's a regular track playing in my car. Once again it's the energy I love. Plus the sounds they get, even though it's live. I prefer the live version to the studio version though both are good.

Track sixteen is Bobby Womack with a song on his album that was produced by Damon Albarn. I really love the mix of soul and a more modern instrumentation. I thought it was a nice closer.

So a reminder of the tracklisting:

1. The Flaming Lips - Are You A Hypnotist??

2. CocoRosie - Brazilian Sun

3. The Black Angels - Bad Vibrations

4. Goldmund - Threnody

5. Deerhunter - Requiem For All The Lonely Teenagers With Passed Out Moms

6. Milly Mildish - J-Star

7. Tame Impala - Half Full Glass Of Wine

8. The Dead Texan - When I See Scissors, I Cannot Help But Think Of You

9. The Kinks - This Strange Effect

10. Captain Beefheart - Her Eyes Are A Blue Million Miles

11. Labi Siffre - I Got The

12. Beck - Cellphones Dead

13. Scout Niblett - Nevada

14. Brian Eno - Third Uncle

15. Connan Mockasin - Forever Dolphin Love (Live)

16. Bobby Womack - Please Forgive My Heart

And the link to the music is: http://www.sendspace.com/file/rogyyl

I love Brian Eno, so I looked up 'Third Uncle' on Spotify expecting some sort of ambient track... It wasn't anything of the sort, but that song was AWESOME!

He also did the music for The Good , The Bad, and The Ugly. Sorry I'm a soundtrack nut and his music is brilliant.

You don't have to apologize. I'm aware of his work with that movie as well because, as I said, my dad watches westerns all the time, and Morricone is pretty well known for his work with spaghetti westerns. It's kinda hard to avoid the music of Morricone when your dad insists on watching stuff like that over and over again. :tongue:

THE STORM

Hi Diana, I was your mixtape maker.

I'm in Berlin at the moment and I can't post a proper feedback until I'm back at home. Sorry :(

I'm back, finally. Here's my full feedback.

The mixtape was indeed meant to be divided in 3 parts: the first 4 songs had an obscure and quite menacing feel, the ones in the second part had either syncopated and beats and "aggressive" sounds and the third part was more calm and ambient-esque. The artwork is a picture I took with my Ipod in Switzerland on Lehman Lake back in April.

THE STORM

It's "ghosts" actually :p. I think this is one of my favourite songs relased this year.

I actually don't really know the lyrics too. This song is by The Besnard Lakes, a Canadian band that I discovered totally by chance. Their sound is like a mix of psychedelic and post rock.

I thought this one fitted well with the soundtrack feel I wanted to give to the tape. I really like the samples and the production but I can see how it could sound repetitive to some.

Creepy is the word. I thought this song worked well as a transition between the first two parts and it indeed could fit on a horror film soundtrack.

I think this is an electronic music masterpiece. I really love how it unpredictably evolves and how it keeps adding new sounds as it goes on.

DnB classic here. You'll probably surprised to know that Noel Gallagher is playing the guitar on this one.

Haha, sorry :P. Anyway, don't worry this isn't dubstep or anything similar. This is some genius work by Amon Tobin.

The only electronic element in this song is probably the distorted beat at the beginning :p. It's very different than their usual sound, but this is actually Sigur Ros' new album's title track.

This one is by Jon Hopkins. It kind of reminds me of early Brian Eno and it's indeed very relaxing.

I've been quite vocal about how I love this band recently. This song is from their debut album and I really love the piano melody too.

Another band that I discovered recently and that I'm in love with at the moment. This is the closing track of their new album.

This is the most moving song I've heard in a while. The guitar arps are just lovely.

Well, our tastes are really different (I think I stopped listening to indie rock more than a year ago, with very few exceptions) and it was quite difficult for me not to "alienate" you too much, but I wasn't really expecting it to be mind blowing for you. :\

Artwork:

r0pnr5.jpg

I. Dark Clouds Are Coming

1. Ghosts - Mark Pritchard (Ghosts EP, 2013)

2. People Of The Sticks - The Besnard Lakes (Until in Excess, Imperceptible UFO, 2013)

3. Soliloquy - Zomby (With Love, 2013)

4. Turning Violent - The Flaming Lips (The Terror, 2013)

II. The Thunder And The Rainfall

5. Do You Know Squarepusher? - Squarepusher (Do You Know Squarepusher?, 2002)

6. Temper, Temper - Goldie feat. Noel Gallagher (Saturnzreturn, 1998)

7. Goto 10 - Amon Tobin (ISAM, 2011)

8. Kveikur - Sigur Ros (Kveikur, 2013)

III. Quietness, At Last

9. Abandon Window - Jon Hopkins (Immunity, 2013)

10. Dear Heartbeat - Darkstar (North, 2010)

11. Fall Out - Mount Kimbie (Cold Spring Fault Less Youth, 2013)

12. You Won't Remember... - Bibio (Silver Wilkinson, 2013)