✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Who is the greatest drummer ever?

Mollyxyloto

I don't know how you could OFFICIALLY say who the greatest drummer ever to have lived is, but in your opinion who is the best?

You could post just a single name, a list, or why if you wanted.

In my opinion, Keith Moon (RIP) will always be one of the greats.

picture.php?albumid=100&pictureid=1201

Keith Moon was the drummer for The Who until he died of an overdose in 1978.

Will Champion from Coldplay

My dad :nod:

My dad used to play drums when he was a teenager (in the 60s). His name is Géry and his brother Thomas used to play...some other instrument and my dad's drum kit had the cartoons characters Tom & Jerry on it :lol:

Okay no I don't know enough bands well enough to actually think and make up my mind on this. The Coldplay fan in me is screaming Will Champion of course. :nod:

Thinking about it, do you know if Will has ever said who he thinks is the greatest drummer ? I'm guessing he's been asked that a lot, hasn't he ?

My dad :nod:

My dad used to play drums when he was a teenager (in the 60s). His name is Géry and his brother Thomas used to play...some other instrument and my dad's drum kit had the cartoons characters Tom & Jerry on it :lol:

Okay no I don't know enough bands well enough to actually think and make up my mind on this. The Coldplay fan in me is screaming Will Champion of course. :nod:

Thinking about it, do you know if Will has ever said who he thinks is the greatest drummer ? I'm guessing he's been asked that a lot, hasn't he ?

Yes and for him is Dave Grohl :dazzled:

Will Champion is the best singer of a drummer, but similarly, I'm a huge fan of Roger Taylor of Queen who has a fantastic rock and roll voice. Coldplay is a lot like Queen where we often give the most credit to Chris/Freddie Mercury, but really, it's the drummer (Will/Roger) who does 99% of the work. :lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLna2-tjQvs]Queen Killer Queen & I'm in Love With My Car (Live Rock Montreal HD) - YouTube[/ame]

I don't know a lot of old drummers well enough to evaluate them side by side, so here's a recent one: Chris Sharrock of Oasis/Beady Eye:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZF9qDv-nXQ]Oasis - Shock Of The Lightning - One Of The Best Versions !!! // EPIC - YouTube[/ame]

• Like 1

Dave Grohl's up there.

I'd also have to go with the likes of Don Henley and Phil Collins, mostly from the aspect of their all-around talent. It seems like it would be incredibly difficult to be the lead singer whilst doing all that drumming. It is completely different from playing guitar or piano whilst being lead singer; you have to keep a level singing voice while pounding away, plus you're essentially leading everybody else in the band by keeping everything in line with the beat.

Matt Helders of Arctic Monkeys anyone? Very underrated drummer!

Incredible speed and power in order to play killer fills.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Also demonstrates that less is indeed more, by holding back on certain to give them that certain feel.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

His name isn't thrown around that much when it comes to discussions regarding drummers, which I find strange. I myself am a drummer, and find him to be a huge influence in my playing.

I'm not a big fan of the Police, but Stewart Copeland is amazing.

My favorite drummer would be Bryan Devendorf of The National, who really adds so much their sound. The best of all time on the other hand would most likely be a jazz drummer, maybe Elvin Jones or someone from that era.