✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Is it me or is Coldplay becoming more and more like the Chris Martin band?

zombiejerry

I'm talking about the way they're representing themselves in the media. It's basically Chris who seems to be doing all the press and stuff. And looking at the promo for example (for ghost stories, that video), it's mostly Chris. At the end of the video it focuses again on Chris with his guitar walking on the road or sitting in the car.

It seems to me like it's more and more about Chris Martin and the band rather than Coldplay.

Does anyone else agree?

Thoughts?

well, as this album is mainly about Chris personal problems and his break-up (or whatever you call it) I guess it's only fitting for him to do all the talking. I believe the other band members can't be bothered to answer all the emotional stuff that is eventually headed to Chris.

well, as this album is mainly about Chris personal problems and his break-up (or whatever you call it) I guess it's only fitting to do all the talking. I believe the other band members can't be bothered to answer all the emotional stuff that is eventually headed to Chris.

Yeah, I was pretty much gonna say what you said.

Chris is the front-man, so you gotta expect him to be in the spotlight a little more than the other members of course. And especially with this album post-breakup with Gwyneth. I believe in the LP7 coming out next year theory, and the articles I've read surrounding this theory say that LP7 will be a more classic Coldplay record with more of their previous sounds (I think by previous sounds it means less electronic and more guitar/piano driven) I think we can expect not the "Chris Martin Band" if you will, but Coldplay.

Chris even talks about how much the band has bonded over the years. I don't see him wanting to get away from the band.

I don't think so either, but I'm talking more about how they're representing themselves now.

It's basically Chris talking about "his songs" and "his band." Promos seem to be focues around him (although the Magic video had Jonny Guy and Will in it too) Maybe it's just me? haha

well, as this album is mainly about Chris personal problems and his break-up (or whatever you call it) I guess it's only fitting for him to do all the talking. I believe the other band members can't be bothered to answer all the emotional stuff that is eventually headed to Chris.

I don't see that at all. To me, the band was built far more around Chris in the earlier days when most of the songs were built almost exclusively around him on piano or acoustic guitar. To my ear (and eyes) it seems like the band's music has generally featured a more equal contribution from all 4 members as time has gone on. Sure he gets most of the media attention and stuff like that, but he's the front man, that's normal. The viability hierarchy for bands is usually topped by the lead vocalist, with the lead guitarist in 2nd place, and that's more or less the pattern with Coldplay.

Chris has always done a ton of solo promo and appeared solo in their videos (Yellow, The Scientist, Strawberry Swing, PoC)

I think that is just the nature of being the frontman. Plus, he starts the writing process for 99% of their music so in a lot of ways he really is the keystone that all else is built around. But overall in interviews it is apparent that the band is glad that he takes the spotlight off them. They aren't a flamboyant promotional band. Plus he always speaks with "we," and "us," unless it is a personal question. Always has.

I think one of my favorite parts in the interview was how Chris was saying he was asking for some one to come up with a song and how he mentions Guy came up to him with the idea of for the beginning Magic. So I guess I don't think I get the it's "my" band feel. lol But I can see how you come across that since he does most interviews.

I think every member of Coldplay has an important role , but Chris brings the philosophical and spiritual aspect of the music , and those aspects seem to be more important in this record. We can see he can't create without Jonny Guy and Will contribution , and that's what we call magic.

I think every member of Coldplay has an important role , but Chris brings the philosophical and spiritual aspect of the music , and those aspects seem to be more important in this record. We can see he can't create without Jonny Guy and Will contribution , and that's what we call magic.

couldn't have said it better!

Anyone who listened to his interview with Zane Lowe would of heard that he values the band more than ever and they value each others talents and roles more then ever before. Which at this stage of their career is a truly great thing.

Anyone who listened to his interview with Zane Lowe would of heard that he values the band more than ever and they value each others talents and roles more then ever before. Which at this stage of their career is a truly great thing.

:nod: I'm very relieved and happy that their bond is still so strong, that doesn't happen often with bands.

i think Chris finally put those bitches in their place :D lol joking i think its their manager who does this they have a contract and stuff like that where he must do all this interviews esp. after the break up believe it or not the menager sees $ in his eyes when he looks at Chris as a frontman rather than seeing coldplay as a whole ...bottom line it just doesnt sell...and so coldplay members are forced to put throught this shit because of some contract but thats speculation only

Honestly, I'm listening to the Radio 1 interview again just now and I'd say it's very much the opposite. Chris has always been more at the front - obviously, he's the 'frontman'! - and I'd also say he's more confident than Jonny, Will and Guy in interviews etc (in a lot of their older interviews, they're often almost reluctant to speak) but in the interview Chris speaks SO much about how close the band are right now, how excellent their bond is and how much they've grown to respect each other's roles in the band. So I would absolutely disagree with that.

I also think it is the opposite. It is clear that nowadays J, G & W have a more prominent role than before. They only pampered Chris while letting him include ASFOS in the record even though he broke the rules and sought assistance from Avicii without their consent.

They only pampered Chris while letting him include ASFOS in the record even though he broke the rules and sought assistance from Avicii without their consent.

Really? I didn't get this from the interview. I'm not so good at listening English hehe. Can you please point me where he say this?

Really? I didn't get this from the interview. I'm not so good at listening English hehe. Can you please point me where he say this?

It was sarcastic, rafaelchampion. Although Chris clearly states that the involvement of Avicii cause some discussions "for a day and a half". I can only guess that either Will, Guy or Jonny were not very convinced.

It was sarcastic, rafaelchampion. Although Chris clearly states that the involvement of Avicii cause some discussions "for a day and a half". I can only guess that either Will, Guy or Jonny were not very convinced.

If, as you guess 'they were not very convinced" i'm sure they would say it and the collaboration wouldn't be done .