✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mixtape Exchange #18 [Reviews & Tracklists]

grids

This has got to be the shortest amount of participants on a mixtape exchange on this site :P

when do we turn in our mixtapes though?

Yeah seems like, probably because most people dont go to the forum anymore.

It's 8th Feb, I posted on the first post too :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw maybe the next mixtape this year? :) Sorry we are currently even so not sure to add more people at the moment.

And the thread has been neglected for a while :P

The deadline is this week on the 8th but I'm gonna send a link this Thursday cause I'll be off Friday till next week :)

Right, here is my review on La Futura Nada:

1. This track is putting organs a lot, isnt it? It’s not my type of genre but I appreciate all music basically :) Reminds me of Mr. Bean soundtrack at some point lol. But yeah in resemblance I can think of Mylo Xyloto for the first track to be played in a few seconds before the second one. So it’s still good beginning to listen to the mixtape!

2. Wow, the beginning is so haunting. I don’t think this will be my jam too hah :(

3. Hmmm Radiohead? No? Lol. The beginning guitar reminds me of them on Fake Plastic Trees. I kinda like this one by the way.

4. Is this Japanese? I’m guessing you like anime too haha

5. Wow more electro on this one. I’m afraid this wont be my favorite too :/

6. Hmm I cant think of another song language other than Japanese. Is it? Good rhythm though.

7. This is nice stuff too, it gives some nostalgic moments back in 90s somehow :)

8. I’m assuming you like screaming songs, eh? :P

9. Hmm another version of M.M.I.X? :D

10. I can think of Evanescence music on this one, maybe because of the dark music seems like?

11. The beginning of the song is cute lol, I think I’m going to like this track.

12. I love piano sounds! Sounds like a romantic movie soundtrack back in 90s ish? :D I’m going to like this one too! *I have never been so good at change!* Is that what he said? Hehe

13. This song perfectly suits with the time I’m lying down at the beach in the summer, forgetting my past and starting a new beginning. I love acoustic songs, so this is a good choice!

14. This reminds me of Coldplay on AIMH and Sigur Ros at the same time! The vague-ish sorta song is so winter-ish and perfect when I’m on the bus thinking about what I have done *starts melancholic* I’m liking this one too by the way.

15. I gotta say that track 13-15 are my top favorites :) Because the songs are really fit in my music genre. I always like the mixture of piano, guitar and violin dominance, I think if they play simultaneously thats the best part. But on this one I can recall Sia’s voice at some point.

Overall, I like the mixtape so far. Gonna be on repeat again! :)

Here are my collective thoughts on this mixtape called Reverie!

01: I'm glad this song sounds casual as it is but has enough detail in the guitar work to not make it sound uninspired. I like the singer's voice, but the percussion and guitar production sell the song for me! Not a bad song to start it off.

02: This is no doubt a Muse song, haha. I knew this had to be from the Origin of Symmetry era, and I couldn't put my finger on which song it was. Turns out to be Futurism, which is such a good song within the circle of songs from their second album. I love it, good choice!

03: Ah, yes, Hozier. Can't mistake that voice for any other. Angel of Small Death and the Codeine Scene, right? I loved his album last year, and I'm glad it's here. :)

04: Agh, this totally sounds like a song from the many classic rock and prog bands out there. I do love it, I'm just having a hard time thinking who… maybe Electric Light Orchestra or Queen? Eh, I admire the piano primarily carrying the song, anything orchestra-ic like this is good enough for me.

05: I want to say this guy sounds familiar… has a Sun Kil Moon structure with the acoustic guitar and storytelling kind of singing. From what I could pick up on the lyricism, has a lot of religious iconography and sounds like the guy warns against materialism. It's an interesting track at most.

06: It seems like almost every mixtape I've gotten, there seems to always slip Mumford and Sons kind of tracks, or Passenger, or whatever band out there, so many of them heheh. I like that this is somewhat more minimalistic (lacking them big strings and loud banjoes and whatnot) and has a passionate delivery in the end.

07: At this point I get a bit winded from the many americana/indie inspired tracks on here. This is relaxing, yeah, but it's much more in the moment rather than something I would remember off of my head. So, in the end, it's pretty, but no substance from there.

08: UGGHH, this sounds so familiar, I should know who's singing this from the louder chorus sections, hmmm… sounds like Bon Iver?? I do admire the quiet sections on the song, and it was unique enough to not frustrate me.

09: Led Zeppelin? It has to be! X) Can't hate a Led Zeppelin-ish song at all :)

10: This is a song from Pink Floyd off of the Division Bell, right? The lyrics with the mention of a "division bell" kind of reveals that. So many bells, bells everywhere!!! Haha. This is a good track for sure, nothing eclectic or mind-blowing from them but still solid. Is this where where they got their "The Endless River" title from for their new album? Hmm…

11: I feel the gospel vibe from the voice alone, and the instrumentation has an uplifting atmosphere. Lyrics almost sound a bit corny but the song overall is beautiful.

12: Back again with the indie americana songs, but I like the percussion-driven production on this one. The singer isn't too interesting to me, but he fits the song nice enough. A solid song though not that memorable to me.

13: I love a good song with an organ piece in it, heh. I like that the bass guitar keeps up the groove, cause I love songs that give some attention to a background instrument. This has a strong Girls vibe with the amount of gospel that seeps at its climax and again, I love a song that brings a good measure for choir.

OVERALL: This was a consistent mixtape, a lot of gospel, rock, americana, and indie. Thanks for taking effort on that regard, it's hard picking songs that can flow with one another. Some parts I loved, some parts I didn't care that much for, but there wasn't a point where it became bad at all. Would love to know the track listing for this now. :)

My comments are in red:

Right, here is my review on La Futura Nada:

1. This track is putting organs a lot, isnt it? It’s not my type of genre but I appreciate all music basically :) Reminds me of Mr. Bean soundtrack at some point lol. But yeah in resemblance I can think of Mylo Xyloto for the first track to be played in a few seconds before the second one. So it’s still good beginning to listen to the mixtape!

This is definitely from a soundtrack, though the organ is not a genre :P.

2. Wow, the beginning is so haunting. I don’t think this will be my jam too hah :(

The beginning is a bit daunting to the mind I guess, but sorry if it's not your jam. Though it would have helped to know what you thought of the rest of the song, too.

3. Hmmm Radiohead? No? Lol. The beginning guitar reminds me of them on Fake Plastic Trees. I kinda like this one by the way.

Radiohead isn't usually lo-fi like this haha, but now that you mention Fake Plastic Trees, yes it does have a similar mood. Heck, the chords sound pretty similar at times. Glad you like this one, cause the artist is basically a lot of this same stuff :)

4. Is this Japanese? I’m guessing you like anime too haha

Yes, it's Japanese, but no, no relation to anime. It does sound like an intro theme, I don't blame you for that.

5. Wow more electro on this one. I’m afraid this wont be my favorite too :/

I guess this band (or their songs) aren't everyone's cup of tea, heh.

6. Hmm I cant think of another song language other than Japanese. Is it? Good rhythm though.

This is a psychedelic rock song from a Latino-based band, so the language is in Spanish. I'm glad you like it!

7. This is nice stuff too, it gives some nostalgic moments back in 90s somehow :)

I have no idea how any of it could give off 90s vibe, since it's filled with trap and 808 beats. This is a track that has been a favorite of mine for a while.

8. I’m assuming you like screaming songs, eh? :P

If by screaming songs, you mean hardcore, metal, and punk music, then yes :laugh3:.

9. Hmm another version of M.M.I.X? :D

No, this is part of a sountrack from a video game rpg.

10. I can think of Evanescence music on this one, maybe because of the dark music seems like?

I'm going to have to admit I'm a bit offended for comparing this to Evanescence :P. No worries. I hope you liked it on some level I guess.

11. The beginning of the song is cute lol, I think I’m going to like this track.

And I hope you did like it in the end? The little synth melodies are a bit cutesy heh.

12. I love piano sounds! Sounds like a romantic movie soundtrack back in 90s ish? :D I’m going to like this one too! *I have never been so good at change!* Is that what he said? Hehe

He says "I've never been too good at change." The gist is understood nonetheless :)

13. This song perfectly suits with the time I’m lying down at the beach in the summer, forgetting my past and starting a new beginning. I love acoustic songs, so this is a good choice!

Good news that you like this song a lot. This is a favorite of mine, but more for the lyrical delivery than anything.

14. This reminds me of Coldplay on AIMH and Sigur Ros at the same time! The vague-ish sorta song is so winter-ish and perfect when I’m on the bus thinking about what I have done *starts melancholic* I’m liking this one too by the way.

The genre is ambient music, and it is pretty sad-like and climactic as you say.

15. I gotta say that track 13-15 are my top favorites :) Because the songs are really fit in my music genre. I always like the mixture of piano, guitar and violin dominance, I think if they play simultaneously thats the best part. But on this one I can recall Sia’s voice at some point.

Ditto on the music styles you prefer.

Overall, I like the mixtape so far. Gonna be on repeat again! :)

Thanks for listening to the mixtape, and sorry if some parts weren't for you. A lot of this was mood driven, and for me, electronics were fitting that mood the most. Hopefully you may find better music to suite you once you know the artists and song titles.

HERE IS THE TRACKLISTING FOR THE MIXTAPE:

01 "Stand Up Strong" (from the Mother 3 soundtrack)

02 "Metatrón, Hijo Estelar" by Bam Bam (from Futura Vía)

03 "America (Never Been)" by Car Seat Headrest (from How to Leave Town EP)

04 "黒猫メロディ" by Boris (from Noise)

05 "Pro Anti Anti" by Liars (from Mess)

06 "No Me Destruyas" by Zoé (from Memo Rex Commander y el Corazón Atómico de la Vía Láctea)

07 "パンドラの箱" by Windows 98の (from これは魂のために)

08 "way" by Nouns (from Still Bummed)

09 "Welcome to Your Sanctuary" (from the Earthbound soundtrack)

10 "Quetzalcoatl" by Liturgy (from The Ark Work)

11 "Slowtown" by Twenty One Pilots (from Regional at Best)

12 "Change" by White Lies (from Big TV)

13 "Carolina Coast" by Aaron West and the Roaring Twenties (from We Don't Have Each Other)

14 "Reunion" by 36 (from Lithea)

15 "Eternal Sunshine" by Jhené Aiko (from Souled Out)

It was posted on the previous exchange thread, the deadline was set up with 2 weeks notice too and the thread was always on the first page too. The only thing difference this time is that it was never made sticky and that's not Grids fault.

We already asked Sparky to do it but no respond. Maybe next time will be better :)

It was posted on the previous exchange thread, the deadline was set up with 2 weeks notice too and the thread was always on the first page too. The only thing difference this time is that it was never made sticky and that's not Grids fault.

not saying it was anyone's fault.... what I meant was: if someone had posted on that thread putting a link to this one would make things a lot easier, lots of people still subscribed to that and you wouldn't need it to get sticky to attract atention :)

and please, next time don't do it on vacation/end of school year period

just a tip ;)

I made a mixtape for Ouch!

Comments in red:

Here are my collective thoughts on this mixtape called Reverie!

01: I'm glad this song sounds casual as it is but has enough detail in the guitar work to not make it sound uninspired. I like the singer's voice, but the percussion and guitar production sell the song for me! Not a bad song to start it off.

Chose some good old Britpop to start of with, to me this is one of the best album openers out there

02: This is no doubt a Muse song, haha. I knew this had to be from the Origin of Symmetry era, and I couldn't put my finger on which song it was. Turns out to be Futurism, which is such a good song within the circle of songs from their second album. I love it, good choice!

Absolutely right, too bad it's a b-side and not on the album. Great song.

03: Ah, yes, Hozier. Can't mistake that voice for any other. Angel of Small Death and the Codeine Scene, right? I loved his album last year, and I'm glad it's here. :)

Correct again. Discovered Hozier relatively late, but fell immediately in love with his music.

04: Agh, this totally sounds like a song from the many classic rock and prog bands out there. I do love it, I'm just having a hard time thinking who… maybe Electric Light Orchestra or Queen? Eh, I admire the piano primarily carrying the song, anything orchestra-ic like this is good enough for me.

You're definitely in the right direction and it's a classic. Love the piano in it.

05: I want to say this guy sounds familiar… has a Sun Kil Moon structure with the acoustic guitar and storytelling kind of singing. From what I could pick up on the lyricism, has a lot of religious iconography and sounds like the guy warns against materialism. It's an interesting track at most.

This is the point in the mixtape where I'd like to give the listener a chance to relax a bit from the more upbeat songs previously.

It's a great protest song by a great American songwriter from the 60's, doesn't ring any bells? I'm a bit dissapointed in you that you didn't recognize his raspy voice at instant ;)

06: It seems like almost every mixtape I've gotten, there seems to always slip Mumford and Sons kind of tracks, or Passenger, or whatever band out there, so many of them heheh. I like that this is somewhat more minimalistic (lacking them big strings and loud banjoes and whatnot) and has a passionate delivery in the end.

It's an unreleased song by Mumford & Sons.

07: At this point I get a bit winded from the many americana/indie inspired tracks on here. This is relaxing, yeah, but it's much more in the moment rather than something I would remember off of my head. So, in the end, it's pretty, but no substance from there.

Too bad you dont really like the calming down bit haha. This is a new and upcoming band which I'm glad I discovered before they got big (which I think they will over the next couple of years).

08: UGGHH, this sounds so familiar, I should know who's singing this from the louder chorus sections, hmmm… sounds like Bon Iver?? I do admire the quiet sections on the song, and it was unique enough to not frustrate me.

Sounds like Bon Iver indeed. This song really grabbed me with the choruses.

09: Led Zeppelin? It has to be! X) Can't hate a Led Zeppelin-ish song at all :)

We're back on the fast lane again! Time to Zeppelin this mixtape!

10: This is a song from Pink Floyd off of the Division Bell, right? The lyrics with the mention of a "division bell" kind of reveals that. So many bells, bells everywhere!!! Haha. This is a good track for sure, nothing eclectic or mind-blowing from them but still solid. Is this where where they got their "The Endless River" title from for their new album? Hmm…

Recently really got into Pink Floyd, this track just makes me shiver.

11: I feel the gospel vibe from the voice alone, and the instrumentation has an uplifting atmosphere. Lyrics almost sound a bit corny but the song overall is beautiful.

I think the late singer of this band would love you for stating you get a gospel feel from his voice. This song was released a few months ago by my favourite band,after having it in the vaults for 30 years.

12: Back again with the indie americana songs, but I like the percussion-driven production on this one. The singer isn't too interesting to me, but he fits the song nice enough. A solid song though not that memorable to me.

Nice and upbeat song, never bores me.

13: I love a good song with an organ piece in it, heh. I like that the bass guitar keeps up the groove, cause I love songs that give some attention to a background instrument. This has a strong Girls vibe with the amount of gospel that seeps at its climax and again, I love a song that brings a good measure for choir.

I definitely wanted this as the closer, to end with a bang so to speak.

OVERALL: This was a consistent mixtape, a lot of gospel, rock, americana, and indie. Thanks for taking effort on that regard, it's hard picking songs that can flow with one another. Some parts I loved, some parts I didn't care that much for, but there wasn't a point where it became bad at all. Would love to know the track listing for this now. :)

Thank you :)

Tracklist:

01 Hello - Oasis

02 Futurism - Muse

03 Angel of Small Death & the Codeine Scene - Hozier

04 Life On Mars - David Bowie

05 Masters Of War - Bob Dylan

06 Home - Mumford & Sons

07 Magdalene - Bear's Den

08 Creature Fear - Bon Iver

09 Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - Led Zeppelin

10 High Hopes - Pink Floyd

11 Let Me In Your Heart Again - Queen

12 Storms - Tom Odell

13 All These Things That I've Done - The Killers

I will listen to the mixtape I received later this week, busy bee!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh look, who's back, the LATE-AS-FUCK-Asshole Bat!

Huge freaking apologizes to my mixtape maker that I made you wait so long for my review :shame:

I finally got the time to write my review, after a second time of listening through the entire tape. It was VERY cool!

First of all, my mixtape maker has titled every song of this mixtape as a Coldplay song, which is very clever. And sometimes the song titles appear as single words in the songs which is even more clever haha! This is a nice idea! I apoligze for any mistakes, I wrote this review in the late night where my English skills aren't the best :wacko:

1 White Shadows

Oh I recognize this track from somewhere, I really like these strings :O

I really like the beat and the female singer's voice. The song is a little bit older, is it?

„I will go down with this ship~“ I like it when you can actually understand what is being sung in the song lol

2 Tell Me You Love Me

Ooh this starts funky, is this P!nk? I LIKE IT, it's very upbeat, and she sings about her asshole boyfriend :cheesy: And that it must be True Love LOL. I involuntary compare it with Coldplay's True Love, which is so much sadder than this happy song. Defintely gonna keep this one in my playlist!

3 Unbroken

Slow beat, male singer this time. It's not eaxctly my favourite genre, but I really like the guitar in this song, and the kind of „powerful“ feeling that's coming off the rich instruments!

4 When She Was Just A Girl

Okay I really don't like this song :lol: It's the singers voice, the instruments, basically everything :sweatdrop: I can imagine this song playing in a truckers stop or in a bar somewhere, but not in my playlist :I

5 Hurts Like Heaven

Female singer again, and a live song this time. Nice simple song with just a guitar playing, and very emotional lyrics. That's a nice song :)

6 Swallowed In The Sea

Ooooooh this sounds GREAT. Basically it screams 'Merica! (in a good way though) straight into your face in the first seconds already lol. It has that typical Country (?) vibe going on. A constant guitar strumming in the background, a nice soft bass, „singing“ guitar cords in the background, a piano, and two very soft spoken dudes singing about sailing to Philadelphia. *INSTANT SAVE*

like like LIKE!

7 Warning Sign

Simple quiet guitar song again and a man singing. I recognize this voice from somewhere ughh. WHO IS IT. Anyways, sad song is sad :( But nicely sad :wacky:

8 The First Line

Guitar laden song again, with a male singer singing and occasionally saying „Square One“ which keeps on reminding me of Coldplay :awesome:

9 All You Ever Wanted Was Love

Mmmh nice, genre change! That's a nice change from all the traditionally songs before, now I have a strong electronic/rap track. I LIKE THE BEAT *bobs head to the beat*

I recognize the refrain, was this song in the top charts one time? It sounds a little bit like a Usher song, but it's not Usher singing I think? Anyways, this is rad :charming:

10 Glass Of Water

The intro already has me moving HAHA. This is nice! I also know this song from somewhere but again, I can't remember shit :blank: Is it Linkin Park? :surprised: It's so powerful and makes me want to run around! OMG THE OUTRO IS SO GOOD O___O

I wanna know how this song is called! :cheesy:

11 Beautiful World

N'aw a Coldplay cover of Don't Panic! :awesome: This is very well done, especially the guitar playing holy pewp! The singer's voice is also very calming (and I usually get annoyed by the singer's voices that cover CP songs lol). IS THAT YOU SINGING MIXTAPE MAKER? :wideeyed:

12 All That Noise, All That Sound

Nice Speed of Sound reference in this song haha. Guitar laden song again with a dude singing and strong and slow drums playing. I like the outro the most.

13 I Will Always Be Waiting

Last song, starts quietly, and sounds a tiny bit like Green Eyes in the intro. But then a female, soft voice starts singing and this softness keeps throughout the entire song with some instruments tuning in occasionally, and some very nice guitar riffs at the end, and a nice choir. This song is coming very closely to what I usually listen to. I like it a lot! I wanna know more about the artist!

Okay so, that was my review, I hope it did the mixtape justice °-°

THANK YOU SO MUCH MYSTERIOUSLY MIXTAPE MAKER, for taking your time to put songs together and gave them Coldplay titles :D I really liked the wide spectrum of genres you put in there, it was very exciting to listen to, because I never knew what to expect!

• 1 year later...