✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Fan song theory time!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed reading all your interpretations, but honestly, the first 4 albums are imho just NOT concept albums.

Of course they have common themes. Briefly said:

Parachutes - Melancholy, Insecurity, Safety

A Rush of Blood To The Head - Urgency, Impatience, Time

X&Y - Insecurity on a greater level, Fitting in the greater concept of things

VLVODAAHF - Life vs. Death, and Love

And you can with some fantasy make a story out of almost everything, but this is entirely speculative and unlikely.

I hope Coldplay won't release any more concept albums, because in my opinion they are better at putting out albums with songs floating around a common theme. AROBTTH, for me, conveys a lot more raw emotions and emotional turmoil than Ghost Stories, and considering that this was actually GS's purpose, it didn't convey its message very well, I guess.

Guest diogo_sg
X&Y - Insecurity on a greater level, Fitting in the greater concept of things

X&Y is more about fears and doubts imo

I hope Coldplay won't release any more concept albums, because in my opinion they are better at putting out albums with songs floating around a common theme.

I agree with you on them being better at making non-concept albums. Still, I'd love to hear more concept albums by them. Just not AHFOD though. I want this album to be a "normal" one.

"I live to see the world"

Guest diogo_sg
Yeah, your description is more spot on than mine !

When I hear the early EPs and the first 3 LPs, it always crosses my mind what a sensitive, beautiful mind the young Chris must have had :)

He still has a beautiful and sensitive mind. He just changed his ways of talking about things imo. Instead of using many metaphors, he is more direct now. But I think the metaphors will return with AHFOD. I honestly do [emoji1]

Guest diogo_sg
I hope so ! More poetic, abstract language ! And I'd love to have really cryptic lyrics return like in Clocks or Speed of Sound :)

Yes, please! [emoji6]

• 2 weeks later...

If we mean concept album like telling a cohesive story (I.e. The Wall) then Chris is nowhere near a good enough lyricist to pull that off. Mylo is a concept album in name only. However if we mean an album deliberately built around certain themes that tie in with the lyrics and music (I.e. Ok Computer) then Viva and Ghost Stories could both fit that description. Viva is about the grand themes of life, death, war and love - and the music is suitably grand and epic. Ghost Stories is clearly about lost love and the music is therefore downbeat and gloomy in accordance (with one unspeakable exception).

Guest diogo_sg
If we mean concept album like telling a cohesive story (I.e. The Wall) then Chris is nowhere near a good enough lyricist to pull that off. Mylo is a concept album in name only.

How come? Each song in MX is basically a moment of the story, which is expanded in the comics.

------------------------------------------

MX/HLH sets the scene. It shows the world and society they're living in.

Paradise introduces the girl. She was captive. But she dreams of freedom and is eventually set free at some point.

CB introduces the boy. We get to know his full-of-life personality and his rebel ideals.

UATW is when the two main carachters meet each other. Just like the title, they begin to fight against Major Minus.

In MMIX/ETIAW, the fight goes on. Things get bigger (and more dangerous) as we advance in time.

MM is when we get to know the villain. He constantly watches everyone and spreads intimidation around. Freedom will never be possible with him on the power.

In UFO, it starts to be too hard to go on. Everything gets so difficult but they still haven't lost hope.

In POC, something terrible happens. They start to string away from each other and eventually are set apart.

UIF is when they both realize it's over. There's no turning back from here. They almost lose their hope.

In AHT/DLIBYH, something awakens in him. A voice tells him to keep going and never give up. Hope reappears and he recieves strength to proceed with the fighting.

UWTB is when we discover that the fight will continue and (even set apart) they'll remain battling no matter what.

(The story goes on in the comics)

This story is told through the beautiful lyrics of the one and only Chris Martin. If this isn't a great lyricist, then what is it?

This story is told through the beautiful lyrics of the one and only Chris Martin. If this isn't a great lyricist, then what is it?

It's difficult to be considered a great lyricist for MX when half of the time of the album is covered by choirs...

Guest diogo_sg
It's difficult to be considered a great lyricist for MX when half of the time of the album is covered by choirs...

He can be considered a great lyricist for the lyrics he wrote for the album. Just because there are lots of choirs it doesn't mean the lyrics are bad (that sentence doesn't even make any freaking sense!!). My favorite lyrics are from DLIBYH and UWTB. The rest is really nice too, but these two stand out imo.

He is a great lyricist, not just for AROBTTH or X&Y.

Guest diogo_sg
Besides lyrics, MX, UFO, POC, UIF, AHT, DLIBYH, and UWTB are all tied together by a common melody that appears in at least part of each song. MX is a concept album in more than just a lyrical sense.

I haven't noticed that, tbh. I'll pay more attention to that the next time I listen to the full album :curious:

I haven't noticed that, tbh. I'll pay more attention to that the next time I listen to the full album :curious:

Pay attention to all of MX, the vocal melody and strings of UFO, the riff of POC, the chorus of UIF, all of AHT, the verse of DLIBYH, and the "Might have to go where they don't know my name" part of UWTB. Trust me, the melody is everywhere!! :)

Guest diogo_sg
Pay attention to all of MX, the vocal melody and strings of UFO, the riff of POC, the chorus of UIF, all of AHT, the verse of DLIBYH, and the "Might have to go where they don't know my name" part of UWTB. Trust me, the melody is everywhere!! :)

Thanks! I'll check that soon [emoji6]

This strengthens what I said about MX being a real concept album. Thanks for pointing this out [emoji106]

Chris is not such a bad lyricist as people always say. Sure, he did some big blunders (Proof, Another's Arms, and a lot of MX), but nonetheless think of all the lyrics on AROBTTH, X&Y, VLVODAAHF. His lyrics often relate to personal feelings in a very vague way, leaving room to interpretation and for everyone to mirror or find him-/herself in them. This is beautiful.

At least I do like them.

Personally I think he's a pretty poor lyricist, as for Mylo - you can read interpretations like that into any album if you want to, the reason you need the comics is to give the non-story a story. Albums like The Wall tell you a story, albums like Mylo you have to tell it the story, because it isnt actually there. That's why they made the comics, to actually tell the story - which, in keeping with Chris' lyrical style, is cliched as fuck. Technically you could consider Mylo a concept album, but it would be in name only.

I think if I could change one thing about Coldplay, it would probably be the lyrics. Chris can write good lyrics, think the songs A Rush of Blood to the Head and Viva la Vida, but all too often he is content with just stringing bland cliches together - think Fix You. Unfortunately I don't see this changing with an album called "A Head Full of Dreams" but who knows? If he puts the effort in, he can write interesting lyrics.

Guest diogo_sg
Personally I think he's a pretty poor lyricist, as for Mylo - you can read interpretations like that into any album if you want to, the reason you need the comics is to give the non-story a story. Albums like The Wall tell you a story, albums like Mylo you have to tell it the story, because it isnt actually there. That's why they made the comics, to actually tell the story - which, in keeping with Chris' lyrical style, is bland as fuck. Technically you could consider Mylo a concept album, but it would be in name only.

I think if I could change one thing about Coldplay, it would probably be the lyrics. Chris can write good lyrics, think the songs A Rush of Blood to the Head and Viva la Vida, but all too often he is content with just stringing bland cliches together - think Fix You. Unfortunately I don't see this changing with an album called "A Head Full of Dreams" but who knows? If he puts the effort in, he can write interesting lyrics.

I took some time to read some of the lyrics of The Wall. I knew some songs from that album but I hadn't really paid attention to some of the lyrics. While some are impressive, others actually fall short imo. I love Mother, What Shall We Do Now?, Young Lust and some others. These have magnificent lyrics. But songs like Don't Leave Me Now, Goodbye Cruel World and The Happiest Days Of Our Lives don't impress me lyrically. I can obviously notice a story in this album, but in terms of lyrics I actually find MX more interesting. I like the lyrics of MX better than the lyrics of The Wall.

Besides, any concept album can not be a concept album. If I didn't know The Wall is a concept album, I would never find that out on my own. I have to make the story myself too.

I might be alone in this opinion, but it is mine.

About Fix You, how can you say this song is bland? For me, its lyrics are as deep as the Mariana Trench!! They're raw, beautiful and iconic ("Lights will guide you home").

Then again, it's your opinion against mine.

I took some time to read some of the lyrics of The Wall. I knew some songs from that album but I hadn't really paid attention to some of the lyrics. While some are impressive, others actually fall short imo. I love Mother, What Shall We Do Now?, Young Lust and some others. These have magnificent lyrics. But songs like Don't Leave Me Now, Goodbye Cruel World and The Happiest Days Of Our Lives don't impress me lyrically. I can obviously notice a story in this album, but in terms of lyrics I actually find MX more interesting. I like the lyrics of MX better than the lyrics of The Wall.

Besides, any concept album can not be a concept album. If I didn't know The Wall is a concept album, I would never find that out on my own. I have to make the story myself too.

I might be alone in this opinion, but it is mine.

About Fix You, how can you say this song is bland? For me, its lyrics are as deep as the Mariana Trench!! They're raw, beautiful and iconic ("Lights will guide you home").

Then again, it's your opinion against mine.

True, and a lot of people love Fix You. I just think it's awful lyrically.

"When you try your best but you don't succeed,

When you get what you want but not what you need,

When you feel so tired but you can't sleep,

Stuck in reverse."

I mean, it sounds like a Hallmarks card poem. Every single line is a cliche. Like - Every. Single. One. No creativity whatsoever. Compare this to the imagination in some of Chris' good lyrics:

"I'm gonna buy this place and burn it down,

I'm gonna put it six feet underground,

I'm gonna buy this place and watch it burn,

Do back the things it did to you in return."

So much more striking and creative. Sadly lyrics like these have been in the minority over Coldplay's career.

Guest diogo_sg
True, and a lot of people love Fix You. I just think it's awful lyrically.

"When you try your best but you don't succeed,

When you get what you want but not what you need,

When you feel so tired but you can't sleep,

Stuck in reverse."

I mean, it sounds like a Hallmarks card poem. Every single line is a cliche. Like - Every. Single. One. No creativity whatsoever. Compare this to the imagination in some of Chris' good lyrics:

"I'm gonna buy this place and burn it down,

I'm gonna put it six feet underground,

I'm gonna buy this place and watch it burn,

Do back the things it did to you in return."

So much more striking and creative. Sadly lyrics like these have been in the minority over Coldplay's career.

In Fix You, Chris uses paradoxes to express pain. It's a creative way to do so, imo. They're not his most imaginative lyrics, I agree, but I wouldn't call them awful nor cliched.

AROBTTH is a gem, both lyrically and instrumentally. One cannot deny that. Its lyrics are indeed fantastic. But when you compare the lyrics you mentioned to X&Y (example) they don't seem 'that' great:

"Trying hard to speak and

Fighting with my weak hand

Driven to distraction

It’s all part of the plan"

For me, these lyrics are better than the AROBTTH ones. You might not have the same opinion, but that's my point: everything is relative. When you compare Fly On to Politik, the best song between these two is obvious. But when you compare Fly On to UFO, it starts to be harder to say. It's all relative.

Yeah, Fix you lyrics might be a bit sugared (and I never understood what exactly it would feel like to have your bones ignited...), but still, I can relate to them pretty well.

I have to say I may take more issue with the lyrics if I was a native English speaker. Cause I hate listening to German songs because I always think about how crappy and cliched the lyrics sound. In English, everything sounds better to me from the outset :) So i guess it also depends on what your native language is.

Guest diogo_sg
Yeah, Fix you lyrics might be a bit sugared (and I never understood what exactly it would feel like to have your bones ignited...), but still, I can relate to them pretty well.

The "ignite your bones" thing is a metaphor for the moment you reach the lights (heaven). I don't know how it feels too (thankfully [emoji1]).

I have to say I may take more issue with the lyrics if I was a native English speaker. Cause I hate listening to German songs because I always think about how crappy and cliched the lyrics sound. In English, everything sounds better to me from the outset :) So i guess it also depends on what your native language is.

You're German?! I thought you were from Iran! Because you posted in all the Iranian threads [emoji5]

And I agree with you. Most Portuguese songs sound awful (not just lyrically). But when I translate them to English, they sometimes sound a bit better (not much, though). Still, Fix You is a nice song in lyrical terms. Not the best, but certainly not bad.

The "ignite your bones" thing is a metaphor for the moment you reach the lights (heaven). I don't know how it feels too (thankfully [emoji1]).

You're German?! I thought you were from Iran! Because you posted in all the Iranian threads [emoji5]

And I agree with you. Most Portuguese songs sound awful (not just lyrically). But when I translate them to English, they sometimes sound a bit better (not much, though). Still, Fix You is a nice song in lyrical terms. Not the best, but certainly not bad.

Really ? I'd have thought of it rather in terms of "warming your bones at the fire", so feeling comfortable. I don't think he talks about heaven in Fix You. Anyway, still a weird expression !

Well, I'm kinda both :)

Guest diogo_sg
Really ? I'd have thought of it rather in terms of "warming your bones at the fire", so feeling comfortable. I don't think he talks about heaven in Fix You. Anyway, still a weird expression !

Well, I'm kinda both :)

Well, that's just my interpretation. I'm sure there are many others.

Curiously curious... [emoji5]