✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Fan song theory time!

Guest diogo_sg
Yes it's perfect. Just as all the lyrics are perfectly truthful ...[emoji120] [emoji295]️

Who is Alexandra K. Trenfor? Is she a teacher, a writer...?

Because I can't find anything about her on google!

"I live to see the world"

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She is Alexandra K Trenfor...lol...just kidding...I'm not entirely sure ...I'll see if I can do some Detective work [emoji436][emoji421]️[emoji368][emoji433] "I'll be back". [emoji15]

After thought ...maybe she is a ghost...[emoji317]

Can anybody tell me where to look...tell me what to see...[emoji13]

Guest diogo_sg
She is Alexandra K Trenfor...lol...just kidding...I'm not entirely sure ...I'll see if I can do some Detective work [emoji436][emoji421]️[emoji368][emoji433] "I'll be back". [emoji15]

After thought ...maybe she is a ghost...[emoji317]

Can anybody tell me where to look...tell me what to see...[emoji13]

Haha [emoji1]

She IS a ghost!! I can't find her anywhere!! [emoji33]

Off-topic: it's Diogo, not Diego. But it's ok. I spent a week in Istanbul (student exchange program) and the family I stood with called me Diego all the time I was with them. I corrected them at first, but I soon came to realize it was helpless [emoji5]

Back to topic: I apologize. And yes, there's a lot of rhyming in SITS. But that's the beauty of it, imo.

Whoops, sorry - I recognise people by their avatars mainly :) Diogo is a cool name...

Guest diogo_sg
Whoops, sorry - I recognise people by their avatars mainly :) Diogo is a cool name...

It's ok [emoji5]

It isn't a cool name btw. It's awful.

Guest diogo_sg
It's an original name, you don't hear it quite often ;)

It's a very common name in Portugal, actually. And it's not one of the most beautiful names too, tbh [emoji1]

I like it - although I always wished I was called Mycroft so what do I know?

Thanks [emoji5]

Haha! Seriously?! That's... unusual.

Hey DiOgo, I saw your Twitter avatar today on the #ResurrektProspekt thing !Is that you ? :)

On-topic:

Yes, Swallowed in the sea really does sound like out of rhyming book, and so does Proof. But that's about it. As I said, those are two big blunders (although I love Proof, despite the awful lyrics it is a beautiful song imho)

Haha [emoji1]

She IS a ghost!! I can't find her anywhere!! [emoji33]

It might be penelopeja herself !

Haha, that's a good explanation. I'd quite like to see how long it takes Chris to write this stuff...although as long as the rhyming dictionary is not far away...

Seriously though it's such a shock to see so many praising their lyrics when for so long it's been considered a weakness. I guess the difference is whether you're ok with cliches, I hate them. Many clearly think they get the job done. It would be nice though to see an album where Chris just sets the rule - NO CLICHES. Like goes through the lyrics and just crosses out stuff like "Life goes on, it gets so heavy" or "get what you want but not what you need". Would be cool to see what he could come up with if he pushed himself, as to be honest I think he's pretty complacent in this regard.

Sorry, don't entirely agree there. Some of the things you call cliches are simple common feelings about life, and I wouldn't describe them any differently

Surely "too in love to let it go" and "feel so tired that you can't sleep" would be cliches too, for you ? Well, I have actually felt both and can thus relate to both situations. (Maybe I'm a cliche.)

This is interesting. Of course, as a native English speaker I have a massive luxury, but I can't imagine listening to songs in anything but English as my native language. I think if the situation was reversed and much of music was sang in German, I probably couldn't listen to it.

Wow, that's the other way round than me (and many, if not most people from what I have heard - not Coldplay-related, but in general for songs!) ! :)

Guest diogo_sg
Hey DiOgo, I saw your Twitter avatar today on the #ResurrektProspekt thing !Is that you ? :)

Yes, it is me (that photo is about two years old btw) [emoji4] Why?

On-topic:

Yes, Swallowed in the sea really does sound like out of rhyming book, and so does Proof. But that's about it. As I said, those are two big blunders (although I love Proof, despite the awful lyrics it is a beautiful song imho)

Swallowed in the Sea is a beautiful song as well imo. I love the "the streets you're walking on, a thousand houses long" part so much! Lyrically and sonically [emoji7]

It's one of my favorite songs from X&Y, actually.

It might be penelopeja herself !

A new kind of Hannah Montana: penelopeja by day, Alexandra by night [emoji1]

Just asking, because you rarely get to see our fellow Forum Coldplayer's faces :) (And because I am working on a secret algorithm that helps me identify Coldplay fans on the street, so I can finally actually talk to somebody...LOL)

I don't know Hannah Montana...you mean like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde ? :D

Guest diogo_sg
Just asking, because you rarely get to see our fellow Forum Coldplayer's faces :) (And because I am working on a secret algorithm that helps me identify Coldplay fans on the street, so I can finally actually talk to somebody...LOL)

I don't know Hannah Montana...you mean like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde ? :D

Hahaha!! [emoji23]

I don't know Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde :embarrassed:

But it's probably something like that [emoji1]

Swallowed in the Sea is a beautiful song as well imo. I love the "the streets you're walking on, a thousand houses long" part so much! Lyrically and sonically [emoji7]

It's one of my favorite songs from X&Y, actually.

A new kind of Hannah Montana: penelopeja by day, Alexandra by night [emoji1]

I do enjoy a good rhyme time...[emoji5]️

Swallowed in the Sea does magical things for me so it must be all those rhymes...[emoji7]

Lol....Hannah Montana....before or after she turns willldddddd.....[emoji234]

Something else I wanted to talk to you about: Have been listening to Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here again after a long time, and got reminded of a lyric detail I had been meaning to discuss with you:

"We're just two lost souls

Swimming in a fish bowl"

Does it ring a bell ?

If so, it is probably because of...

"We're just two little figures

In a soup bowl"

(with fish having been mentioned three lines before in that song as well)

For such a specific imagery this coincidence (?) does seem weird. Do you think Chris might have been influenced by WYWH ?

Guest diogo_sg
I do enjoy a good rhyme time...[emoji5]️

Swallowed in the Sea does magical things for me so it must be all those rhymes...[emoji7]

Lol....Hannah Montana....before or after she turns willldddddd.....[emoji234]

Well, I don't know you personally. But, since you're in a Coldplay forum, I'm gonna take a shot at saying 'before' [emoji1]

• 3 weeks later...
Something else I wanted to talk to you about: Have been listening to Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here again after a long time, and got reminded of a lyric detail I had been meaning to discuss with you:

Swimming in a fish bowl"

Does it ring a bell ?

In a soup bowl"

For such a specific imagery this coincidence (?) does seem weird. Do you think Chris might have been influenced by WYWH ?

Holy shit dude, I thought I was the only one that noticed that!

I also noticed some other Pink Floyd lyrics in World Turned Upside Down that goes as follows:

"Life that comes and everything under the sun."

Reminds me ALOT of Eclipse from Dark Side.

"Everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

Or how about the Comfortably Numb influences in the chorus of Lhuna...

Or the Gilmour influences in the guitar solo of Moving To Mars...

Maybe Pink Floyd is a big inspiration to the Coldplay gang! :D

Swimming in a fish bowl"

Does it ring a bell ?

In a soup bowl"

That's very plausible. That's not the only time Chris has either intentionally or unintentionally referenced another artist's lyrics in his own lyrics.

The Escapist: "And in the end / we lie awake / and we dream of making our escape"

The End (The Beatles): "And in the end / the love you take / is equal to the love you make"

Here's another one:

Square One: "I need a compass, draw me a map / I'm on the top, I can't get back"

Zooropa (U2): "And I have no compass / And I have no map / And I have no reasons / No reasons to get back"

QUESTION:

Do you consider GS a concept album?

MY ANSWER:

I do. It tells the story of a man who's lost the love of his life and now he struggles to deal with that loss.

Here's my interpretation:

** Always In My Head **

She's gone. Yet, he can't stop thinking about her and that deprives him from resting. He wanders around like if he's dead inside ("My body moves, goes where I will"). His heart stays still.

** Magic **

He doesn't want anyone else but her. There was/is magic when she's around and he doesn't want to lose that.

** Ink **

He tries to keep her inside. He tries to keep her close to him. But it's becoming too hard to catch her ("I see the road begin to climb").

** True Love **

It's hopeless. She is gone for good. But he still loves her and he wants her to love him back, even if that isn't true ("Tell me you love me, if you don't then lie, oh lie to me and call it true love").

** Midnight **

He's lost without her. He doesn't know what to do, where to turn. He begs for something to guide him through the despair ("Leave a light, a light on").

** Another's Arms **

She has found someone else. It's painful for him. The world is meaningless for him now. Living is a constant torture. And her ghost haunts him everyday (the female voice).

** Oceans **

He talks to love. He remembers when he said to it "Wait for your call, love". But, he realizes that such call never came. He's ready for it, yet it won't come. Love came once, but left him at one point. He finds himself alone in the world.

** A Sky Full of Stars **

When we look at the sky, we don't see the actual stars. We see the light they had years ago. We see their ghosts. So, A Sky Full of Stars is actually A Sky Full of Ghosts. That's how he sees her. But he no longer sees her as a haunting, he sees her as a guide. She lights up his path. He delivers his heart to her and she helps him moving on.

** Fly On **

The final realization: he realizes that love is like a flock of birds. Sometimes it's here, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes we have to chase it. Sometimes we don't.

I could've expanded my interpretations a lot, but that would be too boring to read.

Anyway, what do you think?

I'm glad someone addressed this album with an interpretation like this because I too believe it's a concept album. I do think that the O part in O (Fly On) is important to mention. Keep in mind that both his kids sing in O and O (Part 2/Reprise). His kids are speaking to him personally saying "Don't let it go", meaning that as he is going down the path of moving on from his love, there's still his kids telling him they need him and that that love can't be let go of completely. There is still a reason to stay back, perhaps not for his ex, but for the beautiful kids created from the love he had with her.

I enjoyed reading all your interpretations, but honestly, the first 4 albums are imho just NOT concept albums.

Of course they have common themes. Briefly said:

Parachutes - Melancholy, Insecurity, Safety

A Rush of Blood To The Head - Urgency, Impatience, Time

X&Y - Insecurity on a greater level, Fitting in the greater concept of things

VLVODAAHF - Life vs. Death, and Love

And you can with some fantasy make a story out of almost everything, but this is entirely speculative and unlikely.

I hope Coldplay won't release any more concept albums, because in my opinion they are better at putting out albums with songs floating around a common theme. AROBTTH, for me, conveys a lot more raw emotions and emotional turmoil than Ghost Stories, and considering that this was actually GS's purpose, it didn't convey its message very well, I guess.

I completely agree her. I hope AHFOD is not a concept album. Many people will call me out on this but I think my favorite Coldplay album is X&Y, each song is emotionally powerful to me and tells its own story, exactly why I don't want a concept album. It would be great to have an album sort of like X&Y (with lots of B-Sides please lol).

This is how I know Coldplay: ambiguous and vague. This is how they are able to reach so many people: through ambiguity. This way, everyone can relate to their songs, and not just a small group of people. I like this style of writing lyrics, because it's open to various interpretations. Some of their songs are very deep and others are vague. They're able to approach as many people as possible with their music, because of this. For me, it's a great thing.

This! Completely agree! That's why so many love this band. Chris IS a lyrical genius IMO and is partly because of this ambiguity.