✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mixtape Exchange #22 [REVIEWS & TRACKLISTS]

M Marks The Spot

The other day I talked to @arushofjacktothehead about whether he would organize another Mixtape Exchange this year. In the end, we agreed on that I would arrange it this time. Thank you very much for your help and support, Jack! I appreciate it.

--
The Coldplaying Mixtape Exchange is a fun way to discover new music while also giving you the chance to share music that you enjoy with other Coldplayers. Basically what happens is that you'll be given the name of the person who you will be making your mixtape for, and all you have to do is get together some songs that you really like, that go well together, and/or that your partner has most likely never heard before; but you must not let anyone know who you're making your mixtape for, and your partner must not know what exactly he or she is listening to - it has to be a surprise! After your partner reviews your mixtape, you will then get to reveal yourself and the tracklisting. You will of course be receiving a mixtape to review as well!

How this works?

1. Sign up saying you want to participate - leave your name on the thread.

2. When the deadline for signing up is over, you'll get a PM from me giving you the name of another participant in the Exchange. You will be making a mix for this person, whoever they may be.

3. You mustn't reveal who you are making the mix for, on pain of being tickled by a thousand feathers.

4. Make your mixtape (average length is around 50 to 70 minutes) and delete the info for each song. The person must not know what songs/artists are on the mixtape. Rather than just calling the songs 'Track 1', 'Track 2' etc. you could be creative and make up fake titles.

5. Upload the mixtape to a cloud storage, preferably MEGA.nz, and send me the link and a tracklisting. I will then send it to the person assigned to you, keeping your identity a secret of course!

6. When you receive a mixtape, listen to it, write a review and post it in this thread.

7. The person who made the mixtape will then post the tracklist and the link so everybody can download it. Simple as that.

Note: Please make sure before you sign up that you're actually going be able to follow through on this, or at least let me know before the deadline ends if you're going to be too busy to participate and you need your name taken off of the list. In past mixtape exchanges, several people never received mixtapes or reviews because their mixtaper/mixtapee never bothered to go through with it, and that's pretty inconsiderate to those who worked hard to make a mixtape and never got anything in return. Mixtape exchanges only happen a couple times a year so they're to be taken pretty seriously.

The deadline for signing up is November 29, 2020 (CET), and you will have some time to create your mixtapes in for December 20, 2020 (CET).

--
Here is a good guideline for deleting the song information:

The Song Information Deletion Tutorial

1. Find the tracks you plan on putting on your mixtape, and copy-and-paste them to a new folder, away from all the other stuff. You can either right-click and find "copy" and "paste," or you can use the shortcuts (Ctrl + C for copy and Ctrl + V for paste).

2. Once you've done that, go track by track, right-click, choose "Properties," and clear everything. Remember to change track numbers if you have a specific order (and almost everyone does, so yeah…). Also, it's helpful to name your album, even if it's something as simple as "mixtape." If you want, you can fill in the blank spots with fake information to add a personal touch to the mix. Once you've done all that, click OK. You'll have to do this separately with each track.

3. Move that folder into your iTunes library/Mp3tag by clicking and dragging it into iTunes/Mp3tag when it's open, and go through the tracks one by one and double-check everything. Typically, the one thing that usually needs to be altered if anything is the album art. In that case, just select your entire mixtape (either by going under "Edit" and choosing "Select all"/"Select all files" or just typing your mixtape name and using Ctrl + A), right-click on it, choose "Get Info"/"Remove tag", and clear all of it using the options in that menu.

4. Compress your mixtape into a .zip or .rar file, upload it, and give the link to the head of the exchange. Looking forward to your involvement soon!

PS If I like your post mentioning you are participating the exchange, that means you will be on the list of participants.

--

The participants:

Nikolette

The Jordanator

I ran away

Riki26

--

My own mixtape "what if we... in the future"

Download link: https://mega.nz/folder/xJNRUChT#53KM9LELnK2i58x0iQlcJA

Tracklist and album cover:

01 in love
02 in crisis
03 a fling, you say
04 turn the page
05 uneasy
06 lovesick
07 backwards and forwards
08 stay (hear me out)
09 one more night
10 i still have feelings for you
11 begin again
12 be right with you
13 dance till we drop
14 lighthouse
15 this tainted love
16 wide blue yonder
17 a permanent mark
18 at peace
19 what if we... in the future

albumart.thumb.jpg.935300c3f95a4320acba2b6f04095f19.jpg

Edited by M Marks The Spot
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Actually always wanted to participate here but was always too late for it :classic_biggrin: So count me in, please, Michael! Just a question is in which format should the songs be, I guess, that probably mp3 because it's not always known if the person I create a playlist for has a means of listening something in FLAC or whichever else format?

Edited by Nikolette
  • Care 1

35 minutes ago, Nikolette said:

Actually always wanted to participate here but was always too late for it :classic_biggrin: So count me in, please, Michael! Just a question is in which format should the songs be, I guess, that probably mp3 because it's not always known if the person I create a playlist for has a means of listening something in FLAC or whichever else foramt?

I'm glad that you want to take part in this event! I'll add you to the list of participants right away.

Yes, you're guessing right. It will be best if you use the mp3 format.

• Like 1

Even though there's still a boatload of time till both deadlines, November 29, 2020 (CET) and December 20, 2020 (CET), I've already created and come up with my own mixtape "what if we... in the future" which I'll share with you soon (Keep an eye on the introductory post!).

In addition, keep in mind that this is the only one being shared for everyone until December 21 before you can finally post reviews and download links of your respective mixtapes. After November 29 you're going to receive a direct message with the name of the person who you will be supposed to make a mixtape for.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the songs which I've put together. I'm looking forward to your reviews, reactions, opinions, thoughts, guesses, comments, conclusions etc. Have fun!

Once again, remember that "what if we... in the future" is the only mixtape being shared for everybody to hear, guess and review by December 20.

• Like 1

Question: so after we have done the review of the mixtape we recived and we're all finished, are we all going to share our mixtape here with everybody as well? And will we also reveal the real titles and authors? 

Edited by Riki26

9 hours ago, Riki26 said:

Question: so after we have done the review of the mixtape we recived and we're all finished, are we all going to share our mixtape here with everybody as well? And will we also reveal the real titles and authors? 

Yes, you will. Once your counterpart shares a review of the mixtape which you've created for them, you'll post the download link and reveal the tracklist with the real song titles and the real names of recording artists.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Reminder: There's exactly one week left until the deadline for signing up for this year's edition of the Mixtape Exchange. The deadline is November 29, 2020 (CET).

--

Besides, I believe that any reviews of my mixtape should be shared and revealed before all of you post reviews of the respective mixtapes that you will have received. I'm not sure that it would really work well if you rate or evaluate my mixtape after December 20. I just think that for the sake of convenience and orderliness it would be definitely more sensible provided that we distinctly separate your works from my piece that way.

Time's up, everybody! It's past the first deadline now. I've just sent each of you a direct message with the name of the person who you'll make the respective mixtape for. I hope you have fun creating them. Good luck, y'all!

The deadline for completing and submitting your own mixtape is December 20, 2020 (CET).

--

Besides, I believe that any reviews of my mixtape should be shared and revealed before all of you post reviews of the respective mixtapes that you will have received. I'm not sure that it would really work well if you rate or evaluate my mixtape after December 20. I just think that for the sake of convenience and orderliness it would be definitely more sensible provided that we distinctly separate your works from my piece that way.

• Like 3

Hello everyone.

Here is my handwritten review of Michael’s mixtape - “What if we...in the future”. I look forward to seeing if any of you have had similar thoughts or even a different perspective to the mixtape. 

I’m almost ready with my review of the mixtape I received as well. I assume I can post that anytime I like? 

Anyways here’s my review of Michael’s mixtape:

B3DC2C4C-B33D-47B6-8ADD-1D84FD6296D0.jpeg

2EFF2562-DF7F-4ECA-9789-B9914F53C4CF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Care 1

Thank you very much for the review of my mixtape, @The Jordanator! I appreciate that.

Here's the "real" tracklist:

1. "Wanderlust", AK

2. "modern anxiety", Josef Salvat

3. "Runaway Lover", Madonna

4. "So Now Goodbye", Kylie Minogue

5. "Disconnect", Clean Bandit & Marina

6. "Wicked Ways", The Sound of Arrows

7. "Ace Reject", Sugababes

8. "Black Gold", Editors

9. "No Issues", All Saints

10. "Need To Feel Loved (Adam K & Soha Vocal Mix)", Reflekt feat. Delline Bass

11. "New Ground", Cyrus Reynolds feat. Chamois

12. "Wake Me", Bleachers

13. "Across The Room", ODESZA feat. Leon Bridges

14. "Waves", GAD.

15. "All For Nothing", Matt Berninger

16. "Sweet Decay", Ciaran Lavery

17. "This Love", Taylor Swift

18. "We Are Saved", Borrtex

19. "O", Coldplay

13 hours ago, The Jordanator said:

I’m almost ready with my review of the mixtape I received as well. I assume I can post that anytime I like? 

Well, I think that you should wait until the second deadline (December 20, 2020, CET) is past. I've also explained why it ought to be so above too.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to everyone from this thread!

After several listens, I think I'm ready with my review of @M Marks The Spot's mixtape! That's my very first time participating in such kind of things in general, and it's been fun so far!

First of all want to say massive thanks for Michael keeping this mixtape tradition alive and kind of hosting this year's one! Now let me get to the review itself!

The mixtape's title is a really open field for imagination, my first guess was "What if we [meet each other] in the future" and, think, after listening I only had this guess more confirmed by the overall lyrics topics mostly fiddling around with the relationship topics,the cover also gives the same hints... Will the ellipsis mystery be solved? :classic_smile:

Overall I really like how sincere this mixtape is, that feels like Michael shared many of his favourite songs with trying to both represent some diversity in moods, sounds, musical eras, and share something he really resonates with! It really has a bit of travelling back to the past and present, maybe, future. Overall well done, was very interesting to get to know you better through your music taste!

Now would like to go through each song separately with giving them not X marks, even though I'm not sure about assessing songs like that and don't quite like doing this but looks like it's within a tradition here. So here we go

1. "In Love" - very calm vibes, lovely piano developing into electronic beats, a good atmospheric start 8/10
  2. "In Crisis" has an unexpected continuation after an intro piece, relatable lyrics about modern anxiety, melodically catchy chorus, just not my cup of tea in terms of the overall genre and singing but it’s defo a good song within genre’s frameworks, just not vibing with that personally 5/10
  3. "A Fling, You Say" - oooh, good old 90s type of sound which is a very signature one because of that futuristic synth experiments back then intertwining with a very active beat, reminds me of some songs by Madonna released back then but I kind of remember them very sparsely and I’m not familiar with all of her discography, wait, isn’t that Madonna herself, I always keep forgetting her younger voice? Interesting vocal delivery, by the way! 6/10
  4. "Turn The Page" - here we go with the disco-type Kylie, sounds like end of 90s – beginning of 00s, unfortunately, not a song I feel being hooked on, so 5/10
  5. "Uneasy" - this one in terms of the sound reminds me of the beginning of 2000s, pleasant soundscape with synths, clicks, piano, drums, and sometimes strings, again going back to anxiety issues but now with modern technology consumption highlight, nice metaphor with battery going low, overall an earworm! 7/10
  6. "Lovesick" - this one sounds SO familiar to me; does this song contain some samples from another song? Hazy-like production, sounds nice overall 6,5/10
  7. "Backwards and Forwards" - funny funky guitar all over, vocals sound pretty familiar, maybe, because it has the same style as Sandra's vocals in Enigma's first album, nice twist with the bridge, good classic pop song with hints to world music type of production, just again not clicking with this one 6/10
  8. "Stay (Hear Me Out)" - wow, Editors here, completely digging I since the very start, amazing song, didn’t actually know it before, now to know one more song with “Black Gold” title! Rich instrumentals, catchy bass, nice synths, good vocals effects all over, like this heavy beat, defo 9/10 :guitarist:
  9. "One More Night" - ooo, hello, Kylie again! Such an earworm with orientalish kind of drumming, sounds like it belongs to the album together with “Confide in Me”. No issues with this one, 8/10
  10. "I Still Have Feelings For You" - familiar strings, develops more since 3rd minute, didn’t dig the overall beat though, that’s why only 6/10
  11. "Begin Again" - nice integration of orchestral sound here, like the overall mysterious vibe 7,5/10
  12. "Be Right With You" - very nice bv’s, sound tends to be more indie with such production, like very much that part during “if you lonely, lonely, lonely, awake me”, not resonating though that much with lyrics, instrumentally liking it much more 7,5/10
  13. "Dance Till We Drop" - nice twists with strings in chorus, good beat, just personally not my cup of tea again 5/10
  14. Lighthouse: pleasant guitars all over, sometimes they sound like blinking lights, nice vocal delivery, a song to be calmed down by 7,5/10
  15. "This Tainted Love" - hi, Matt Berninger, love “All For Nothing” – very much of a typical for him song but still really good, like the alternative title for this one! 8,5/10 :sunny:
  16. "Wide Blue Yonder" - like this quiet atmosphere, actually, it was just stupidly missed out while writing this review, nice message, love the orchestral sound kicking in, strings are just wonderful! So this one should be like 8/10 for me!
  17. "A Permanent Mark" - vocally sounds like Swift, overall sound is overall very plain, ballad-type of song, complimentary production, I like ballads sometimes but overall this song is a total miss for me rather than hit 4/10
  18.  "At Peace" - the piano chords sound exactly like “Clocks” ones O_o Expected a bit more of sound development here with maybe unexpected twists but everything went quite evenly, not good or bad, just like it is, a really good transition to the next song. 6/10
  19. "What If We... In The Future" here we go crying eyes out because that’s “O (Fly On)” by Coldplay, this song gets me each time and especially live with witnessing Jon trying such a simple but such an absolutely effective technique with imitating that birds’/seagulls’ sounds, the best song over here, hands down, a nice ending 10/10 :gs:

Overall score probably be like 7/10 which doesn't say anything about the playlist itself but about my own preferences in music! In general was really interesting to discover such a mixtape! :thumbsup:

Edited by Nikolette
  • Care 1

My review of "What if we.. in the future":
1) in love: a really enjoyable instrumental, fits well as a intro and with the mysterious tone of the title: 8
2) in crisis: at first I didn't like it for the strong beat, but I ended up enjoying it and vibing to it: 7
3) a fling, you say: def not my cup of tea, I enjoyed it nonetheless: 6
4) turn the page: very disco-like, still not my genre, but this time it didn't grow in me: 5
5) uneasy: I liked this one, vocals on point, liked the melody, and made me think of a night road trip: 7
6) lovesick: very mystical melody, particularly liked her vocals: 7
7) backwards and forwards: didn't speak to me much, but still not bad: 6
? stay (hear me out): very triumphant, loved it: 9
9) one more night: not my genre, didn't like the beat too much: 5
10) i still have feelings for you: very catchy melody, upbeat and mysitic, ended up enjoying it a lot
11) begin again: really liked this one, the instruments and the overall vibe is really enjoyable: 8
12) be right with you: vibed a lot to this one, simple maybe in contrast with the others, but so good: 8
13) dance till we drop: same for this one, the chorus is so satisfying: 8
14) lighthouse: loved it, guitars and voice are so good: 9
15) this tainted love: a nice piano, nice warm voice, and a slightly more upbeat part growing in the end, liked it a lot: 8
16) wide blue yonder: a dreamy lullaby+it says "christmas lights" right?: 8
17) a permanet mark: surprisingly didn't say much to me: 5
18) at peace: like the title says, it makes you feel calm and relaxed, like your floating through space, a nice instrument piano song: 8
19) what if we... in the future: certainly not expected a coldplay song in the mixtape! A pleasant surprise, one of my favorite songs: 20/10?

Additional comments: I was surprised by the first part of the mixtape, with those very poppish disco-like songs, surely didn't expect them coming, with the dreamy title. Anyway, overall a good journey throughout genres with nice tunes!

• Care 1

On 12/21/2020 at 8:40 PM, M Marks The Spot said:

It's past the second deadline but I haven't received a mixtape from @I ran away yet. Let me know if you need me to extend the deadline so you can still work on your own mixtape.

Anyway, you can go ahead and share your own reviews of the mixtapes which your counterparts created for you, respectively.

SO sorry, I forgot! I will try to prepare my mixtape tonight and send it to you

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

And here's mine?

Overall a very well done mixtape, very coherent with the title and tracks are really on the same vibe, all relaxing, hypnotic and sensual,I really liked this coherence. Also, it gave me the opportunity to listen to a style of music I generally don’t listen, nice listening experience and thank you for made me relisten to a couple of beautiful songs I already knew but lost touch with!

1.     Cosmic delirium: 8, nice instrumental to begin this hypnotic journey, as the title suggests it’s all space vibes, but a catchy relaxing melody (appreciated) instead of a delirium/chaos

2.     Relief: 8, so oriental vibes, nice vocals and melody, I liked it

3.     Praise be: 7, very particular

4.     Hold on, Darling: 10, I know this one!! I don’t remember who is this but I used to listend to it several years ago, it was awesome to get back to it ?

5.     Sex on the Beach: 8, It seems from a vintage movie, liked it

6.     Just one Look: 9, liked this instrumental a lot, starts slow and becomes a happy beat to vibe to

7.     The Song of Salomon: 10, same thing for “Hold on, Darling!” hahah I love this song and I do know it, happy to get lost in it again

8.     Sunday Service: 8, very upbeat, didn’t expect it! Nonetheless still got the same mystic mood as the other songs!

9.     The Pill: 6, didn’t spark as much as the others, still good

10.  Love is United: 6, same here, also found it a bit repetitive, enjoyed anyway

• Like 1