✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Music of The Spheres World Tour Setlist Predictions

I think they are going to keep tweaking the setlist slightly.

We saw them do a Biutyful outro that is now gone. We saw the Coloratura (now shortened after being brought back) experimentation, Bani Adam is gone, Sparks has a new drum intro, etc. I think there will be a few new changes throughout Mexico as they dial the show in. I'm glad Hymn for the Weekend is in there though. Orphans looks like it'll be rotated.

The C stage needs 3 songs instead of 2, though.

The experimentation has been very interesting from show to show - I wonder if this is how it will be everywhere or if things will even out by the end of the Latinamerican leg. Besides the few things you named, it's interesting to note:

-Orphans and IMP have been performed as both acoustic versions and album version
-HFTW has a new bassline in the verses and new guitar line during the "la la la..." bridge
-Since the 2021 shows, VLV has had an extra guitar line in the 2nd verse
-The mashups of Humankind/Infinity Sign with Charlie Brown / SJLT

Glad to see they're keeping things fresh and hope we can continue further conversation about the setlist's evolution here!

On 3/25/2022 at 11:39 AM, hahninator said:

I think they are going to keep tweaking the setlist slightly.

We saw them do a Biutyful outro that is now gone. We saw the Coloratura (now shortened after being brought back) experimentation, Bani Adam is gone, Sparks has a new drum intro, etc. I think there will be a few new changes throughout Mexico as they dial the show in. I'm glad Hymn for the Weekend is in there though. Orphans looks like it'll be rotated.

The C stage needs 3 songs instead of 2, though.

The tweaks are interesting 

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, that actual setlist isn't in my favour. Leaving out Coloratura but doing all the radio friendly stuff is something that really disappoints me. Its more like an AHFOD set plus MotS. Hopefully they revisit it a few times from now. I know they cant please everybody but it feels pretty lazy and uninspired to me. It lacks some depth instead it feels like an Everyday Super Bowl-Event.

• Like 4

I do really hope someone close to the band read these forums and can tell them how we are feeling up to now about this. I get the sensation that this is the first time that I read so many negative opinions about the setlist, not just because "the favourite ones" are out, but rather about the weirdness or the "lazyness" of just randomly picking different songs. I get the sensation that the concert goes pretty good until they play SJLT, it's a complete mess without any coherence at all. Biutyful closing (the puppet please, get rid of it for gods sake) just doesn't work at all, not even melodically. SJLT with those helmets and only playback, almost banning Coloratura, their best work (if not of all times, since the Viva era). Please, I don't know what to do to change this situation, but I just can't only wait until they present on "my" venue and simply eat all this setlist thing without doing nothing about it.

• Like 2

Thy can't please everyone and now that they have another album under their belts with "must play" singles like My Universe and unfortunately boring ones like Let Somebody Go, you end up losing room on the setlist if you're trying to stick to 2 hours. 

I'll come to their defense and say I think they have the building blocks for a good tour, but they may need to consider adding 30 minutes to their set at some point. It feels like they are just repeating the AHFOD tour but shortening it to add some of the "Spheres Content." Just like on the album itself, I think they're too half in half out. I think if you're gonna do an EDM section, do it bigger. If you're going to do a puppet duet, do it crazier. Bring on more puppets, dancers, a costumed string section. Make the "Alien" side of the album really come out! 

Here are thoughts after first leg: 

Spoiler

The Good: 

• Some new songs: Humankind sounds fantastic as expected, POTP is a fun explosive moment, and Buityful sounds much better live with the added intro and outro. Higher Power is a punchy  intro with great xylobands. 
  • Coloratora, when it's played, needs to stay. Yes it's long, but it's a real rock song and it's fan favorite. 
  • The Collabs: I love when Coldplay have C-Stage guests that give local authenticity and a unique moment. Great stuff so far.

Could be Better: 

• The LightClub -- Infinity is awkward. Midnight Remix is too lo-fi for a stadium. SJLT is well, ya know. If they found ways to make this section louder and more laser/edm feel, I think it could get better. Hard to tell how cool it is based on recordings so far. 
  • Everyday Life love -- I think Orphans should be a B/C stage mainstay because it's such a good song and great for a big crowd. Bani Adam inclusion is great, Sunrise interlude is nice as well. But maybe add another song? CotW?
  • Puppet -- I  don't hate the puppet. I think it's kind of unique to mix in different types of performances to your concerts. That said, having it only for one or two songs is awkward. If you're gonna go puppet, go all in! Get more puppets or props for the rest of the show. If you want it to be an "alien radio" experience, make it weirder. 

Bad: 

• Too much AHFOD callback -- AOAL, HFTW, and SJLT making appearances after last tour did them ad nauseum. I'd rather seem them make room for older tracks like Violet Hill, Speed of Sound, or LiJ. Bring back some old hits! 
  • C-Stage -- I wish it was longer. Having 3 nice acoustic songs allows the band to slow the pace and play some deeper cuts.
  • Song #'s -- I mean look, you gotta play all your greatest hits (Fix You, Yellow, Viva, Clocks) there's no getting around that... but this setlist doesn't really have anything surprising or new to me, especially if you don't love the new songs. I wish they'd at least kept Sparks.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
On 3/10/2022 at 10:53 PM, CP-EST said:

Which old song do you think might return into setlist permanently for this tour?

My bet is on Politik, this has to become a regular song in setlist again.

thankfully you were right!!!

also they added the rest of the puppet band in biutyful, like @lennyrott1 wanted.

i kinda hated the setlist at the start of the tour, but theyve really made it much better, i could almost call this the perfect coldplay setlist! I love the arbtth representation with IMP on main stage, the green lasers in clocks, and POLITIK BEING A REGULAR PART OF THE SETLIST!

Edited by Divutian

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 1:53 PM, CP-EST said:

Which old song do you think might return into setlist permanently for this tour?

My bet is on Politik, this has to become a regular song in setlist again.

Politik is fantastic, but I'm praying they will perform Moses, Bigger Stronger, Pour Me or One I Love again some day.

(Yes, I know I'm late on this thread)

Getting news about more shows coming up next year is making me think of some possible setlist updates. Yes, these hopes are based a little on hope for at least some EP being released. They have rushed out all the singles and promotional songs/videos in a very short period of time, so I'm wondering what's next...

I see core of the setlist staying pretty much the same, it has a great flow. Some little changes and hopefully addition of some new songs could improve it though, most importantly make it fresh for the band to perform.

I guess it would be nice to see predictions or fantasies what you have for possible updates.

Any old songs appearing in some way? For example recent appearance of Don't Panic on piano is something which is so good, it should stay regular.

What kind brand new songs you would dream of in setlist? Could we see some new ballad, dancey or heavy rock song?

Currently is there any kind of distinct moment this show is lacking? It's built up very cleverly right now, each song and part of the show having very different and memorable essence to it. So any new old or new new song that would be introduced to setlist must have that x factor and stand out.

• Like 1