✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Who

Jacob

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

u guys have no idea how big of a fan i was of this band.

i listened to the beatles all my life and then in 2001, after 9/11, I listened to them and they became the first band that i really was obsessed w/ (well after the beatles)

Granted, the 9/11 performance was better. They were electric that night. Plus, they still had one of the great bass players of all time, John, still playing with them.

Still, this is almost 10 years later, and they are still kicking ass.

By the way, Zak Starkey is the man. His dad should be proud, and his mentor, Keith, too.

I love the Who, but I was kinda disappointed Roger's voice has decayed so much. I mean, obviously they're old, but the first half especially he was really struggling to keep it together.

I know what you're saying; he wasn't spot on the entire performance, but I didn't think it was bad at all. Dude is 65 and signing songs that he originally sang 40 some odd years ago. His classic scream coming out of the break in "won't get fooled again" was fantastic.

I have seen the who twice in the last 5 years. They are still great live despite only having two original members. I really think zak pushes that band. That boy can play.

Anyhow, I am happy that the superbowl gives these classic rocks acts the big stage. The kids may not like it, but I sure do. I don't want to go back to the days of MTV run crap.

^ I thoght Pete was pretty lively. He jumped across the stage on a few occassions, and there were no shortage of windmills.

I sort of get what people are saying about their age, but I think that is misplacing where the focus should be. This is not the who of old. In fact, this is only half of the original band. And the members lost, Keith and john, are going to make most respectable lists as far as best musicians for their instrument.

Nevertheless, I still think they rocked in a way that would put 90% of today's rock acts to shame. It's kind of like the old timers coming out and showing the world one more time how it's properly done. That's what my focus was on and, with that as the criteria, I say mission accomplished.

^ I thoght Pete was pretty lively. He jumped across the stage on a few occassions, and there were no shortage of windmills.

I sort of get what people are saying about their age, but I think that is misplacing where the focus should be. This is not the who of old. In fact, this is only half of the original band. And the members lost, Keith and john, are going to make most respectable lists as far as best musicians for their instrument.

Nevertheless, I still think they rocked in a way that would put 90% of today's rock acts to shame. It's kind of like the old timers coming out and showing the world one more time how it's properly done. That's what my focus was on and, with that as the criteria, I say mission accomplished.

Yeah I agree, he had the energy, just not the voice.

:shrug:

• 7 months later...

08114_161223_ratemydoubledaltreytownsend.jpg

The Who to record new album?

Roger Daltrey reveals Pete Townshend is writing a follow-up to 2006's 'Endless Wire'

The Who could be set to record a new album.

In an interview on the band's official website - TheWho.com, frontman Roger Daltrey revealed that guitarist Pete Townshend is working on a follow-up to 2006's 'Endless Wire'.

"Pete [Townshend] is writing," Daltrey revealed. "You never know when that might turn up. So, between now and then [our next tour], there might be a new album."

Currently in the planning stages for a 2011 tour, Daltrey admitted that it would be more than just a greatest hits show.

"We have thought about that [doing a greatest hits tour]," he said. "But what is a greatest hits show? All the hits and nothing else, and none of the obscure? That would bore me shitless. If we did a greatest hits tour, everybody would say, 'We're bored with that, give us something else'. We can never please everybody."

The singer also admitted that he'd like to play as many different shows on the tour as possible, with their 1973 rock opera 'Quadrophenia' and 1969 album 'Tommy', also being performed.

"I would like to be on the road playing as many different kind of shows as we could," he explained. "Maybe doing 'Quadrophenia' one night, do greatest hits the next night, this is what I would like to do. And 'Tommy', if I could still sing 'Tommy'.

He added: "That would be really good fun and don't keep going out with the same show every night – the audience would have to take a chance on what show they actually got".

http://www.nme.com/news/the-who/53256

I still haven't listened to their last album.

I do really kind of hate the fact that they still call themselves the who despite the fact that 1/2 the members are dead.

I haven't listened to the last album in it's entirety, but many songs off it are pretty good.

I know what you mean about the band still calling themselves The Who. I would have more of a problem with it if Pete were not still alive. As it stands, you still have the singer and songwriter in the band. Unfortunately, we lost two of the all time greats when Keith and John passed.

The one thing I will stay is that Zak Starkey keeps that band moving. He is a fantastic drummer. His dad should be proud :)