✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Who

Jacob

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard the summer too, on a few radio stations. And I can't seem to find any exact dates. But don't worry, whenever they're announced I'll be posting them!

(I couldn't live with myself if I never saw Pete and Roger in person :lol: )

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The Who announce world tour dates

_41885708_who203body.jpg

Legendary rock band The Who will embark on their first world tour in more than 20 years in September.

The tour will take in the US, Canada, South America, East Asia and Europe and Australia. The first concert will take place in Philadelphia on 12 September. Original members Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey will be joined by drummer Zak Starkey, son of Ringo Starr, and Townshend's brother Simon on guitar.

The band will release their first studio album since 1982 in October. Tickets go on sale on 17 July, although members of The Who fan club can buy pre-order tickets from 15 July. "I don't think I've ever looked forward to a tour as much as this one," Townshend, 61, said. "Roger and I are both fit and well, ready to rock."

The pair said they had tried to record and tour in recent years but the plans were derailed, largely due to the death of bass player and original member John Entwistle in 2002 while the band were touring the US.

"When The Who stopped making records in 1982, I felt I just couldn't do it anymore... it almost destroyed me. It destroyed one of the members of our band," Townshend said, referring to the 1978 drug and alcohol-related death of original drummer Keith Moon. He added that his teenage son was the reason he wanted to get on the road again. "I had a son in 1989, that's why I'm here. He wants to come and see The Who at rock festivals," he said.

Daltrey, 62, said they planned to perform "some rarities that we've not played for a long time".

He hoped fans would feel it was worth the wait. "It doesn't matter that it's taken 25 years - however long it takes as long as it's good. And it is good."

Also on tour will be keyboardist John "Rabbit" Bundrick and bassist Pino Palladino.

The Who are best known for their 1960s hits such as My Generation and I Can See For Miles and the rock opera Tommy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5179026.stm

• 2 months later...

The Who win lifetime music award

_42103634_who_203_ap.jpg

Rock legends The Who are to receive a lifetime achievement award for their live act. The band, fronted by singer Roger Daltrey and guitarist Pete Townshend, will be honoured at the inaugural Live Music Awards in London next month.

Other nominees include Take That, Oasis and Arctic Monkeys for tour of the year, with Coldplay, Kaiser Chiefs and Muse up for best live act. The Who are currently on their first world tour in more than 20 years.

They kicked off the tour with a gig at Leeds University in June, recreating an historic 1970 concert which was recorded for the band's Live at Leeds album.

The Live Music Awards will be held at the Roundhouse in Camden, north London on October 11. In all, there are ten categories, recognising bands, concert venues and festivals.

Mercury prize-winners Arctic Monkeys are in the running for two awards - tour of the year and live impact in 2006. Scissor Sisters will fight it out with U2, The Killers and Foo Fighters for the title of best international live act. The Who's lifetime achievement award will be named after Queen singer Freddie Mercury in honour of his contribution to live music.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5359180.stm

• 1 month later...

hey everyone,

just wanted to say that first off, I bought The Who's new album 'Endless Wire' and am in LOVE with it :) It's really good, never a moment where I felt like just turning it off or skipping any songs, the little mini rock opera 'Wire & Glass' is really good too.....brief but good.

I also had a chance to see them in Indian Wells, just outside of Palm Springs last Saturday the 11th. The show rocked. I was third rown right about in front of Pete. He was windmilling all night, Roger was swinging his mic like a lasso too. It was great show, lots of stuff from the new album and old classics like 'Who Are You', 'Baba O'Riley', 'Can't Explain', 'Won't Get Fooled Again' and 'My Generation'

but that's not even the best part....

after the show a few of us went and waited near the service exit seeing if hopefully any of the band members would stop and sign an autograph or two......and Pete Townshend did!

All in all, a great show, a nice experience meeting Pete and I recommend you all go if you can/want to......it's a show not to be missed!

• 2 weeks later...