ColdplayBK

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interpol Inks New Deal With Capitol

interpol_01l.gif

New York rock act Interpol has parted ways with indie home Matador Records and will sign a new deal with Capitol, sources say. The group is now being managed by Dave Holmes, whose clients also include Capitol flagship artist Coldplay.

Billboard.com understands the group will hit the studio in the fall to begin recording its third album, which is tentatively due in mid-2007. In July, the group wrote on its Web site that it had already spent six months crafting material but had yet to begin recording.

The quartet found immediate success with Matador thanks to its 2002 debut, "Turn on the Bright Lights," which has sold 438,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Its 2004 follow-up, "Antics," has shifted 435,000 units, and debuted at a career-best No. 16 on The Billboard 200.

With its Matador contract up, the band was a highly coveted free agent in recent months and was courted by a number of major-labels. Sources say Capitol had expressed interest in Interpol as early as 2001, when label president Andy Slater met with the band prior to its signing with Matador.

The news follows quickly on the heels of Capitol's signing of U.K. phenom Lily Allen, who scored a No. 1 single earlier this month with "Smile." The label also snapped up indie rock titan the Decemberists, whose label debut, "The Crane Wife," will arrive Oct. 3.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002986740

I'm a bit sad they didn't resign to Matador.. but I suppose they needed to grow, no?? Perhaps this is why they toured a bit with Coldplay??? --I'm happy for them though.... this means if they hit the studio by the fall.. new material should be surfacing by the spring.. maybe a secret gig or two by March???? *fingers crossed*

I believe TOTBL sold 438' date='000 and Antics just under 435,300.[/quote']

that's not too much if we'll be honest, that's why i'm glad that they signed to Capitol

does the second disc include Song Seven and the remixes?? --I believe that also has the video for Slow Hands' date=' Evil, and C'Mere...[/quote']

actually it's weird, because on the cover it says: exclusive audio, video and etc. but when i put the CD into my PC...i found nothing. it's an OPENDISC and too be honest i have no idea what is it all about...i had to register online and stuff like that

however. Antics cost me around 10-11 Euro, so i'm very very glad that i found it in a shop and bought it :D

great album!

ahh the opendisc technology use to bring you to a special site you could only acces thru the disc as a key once you registered. Its no longer active since promotion for Antics is over :( It had access to songs never before heard (Song Seven, which has now been released..) and some wallpapers and such.. different projects and whatnot.. like an alternate website to their own.. it was cool.. a lot of artists use that Opendisc gimmick so you can 'buy' the cd.

Soundscan is the Neilsen owned company that keeps a tally on every cd sold/scanned at a register at selected retailers whom have registered to participate.... :)

did that make sense? :embarassed:

yeah i searched but can't enter their register, you made sense but they have some weird site.

btw i agree with Nik, that's too little..i do think they sold more in europe and rest of the world then in USA,they said they're more famous here (EU) then in USA. oh well

on the subject of them signing to capitol..i find it good for the same reason Nik said it, but when i see how much coldplay lost...:\