✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Bloc Party

*Justine*

I know what you mean Penny!

Panic at the disco :dozey:, right? ugh. not really into them. but I would love to experience Bloc Party live. Maybe if I can get a cheap GA floor ticket I will go....

Yeah...I am leaving after Bloc Party performs. There is no way I am gonna sit through Panic's set! No ma'am!

Good luck getting cheap GA tickets...I'm sure they are sold out :(...and if they are not...I'm sure these horrible scalpers jacked up the price.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^ woah r u sure when was it supposedly officially coming out?

really would like to hear new stuff from them-- its been a bit quite on the bloc party front.

i do agree with previous posters the lead singer and drummer are mighty fine ;)

I have resisted DL'ing the leaked album, but I may have to give in and get it soon.

I lot of people I know who have already got it say its no way near good as Silent Alarm :\ Guess i'll have to wait and judge for myself.

Really looking forward to seeing them live though :smiley:

Matt Tong really is a legend, what an incredible drummer. It was the drumming that first drew me to their music, it's fucking crazy.

• 4 weeks later...

Bloc Party seeking U.S. breakthrough

2007-01-07T103306Z_01_NOOTR_RTRIDSP_2_OUKEN-UK-BLOCPARTY.jpg

Tony Kele Okereke from the band Bloc Party performs during the Mercury Music Prize awards in central London, September 6, 2005. After winning over U.S. hipsters with its critically acclaimed 2005 debut "Silent Alarm," the rock act is now aiming for mainstream success. REUTERS/Mike Finn-Kelcey TM/NMB/DH

NEW YORK (Billboard) - After winning over U.S. hipsters with its critically acclaimed 2005 debut "Silent Alarm", rock act Bloc Party is now aiming for mainstream success.

The group's second outing, "A Weekend in the City", comes out February 6 via Atlantic Records, preceded by two radio singles, "The Prayer" and "I Still Remember".

The group toned down the frenetic feel of its debut, which sold almost one million copies worldwide and drew comparisons to the jerky post-punk of Gang of Four and late-period Blur.

"A Weekend in the City", particularly on its back half, is dominated by slower, richly textured songs that stretch into pop/rock territory.

"It's got everything that makes a Coldplay song, plus more," bassist Gordon Moakes says of the band's more introspective material. "It has a lush sound without being too syrupy."

It also features much more direct vocals from frontman Kele Okereke, who makes a big leap as a songwriter and lyricist on this loose song cycle that thematically mirrors its title.

"I wanted to make something that could be more easily understood, without dumbing it down," Okereke says.

The lineup is rounded out by guitarist Russell Lissack and drummer Matt Tong, who is recovering from a collapsed lung that forced the group to give up its plum opening slot on a tour with Panic! at the Disco last November.

With little radio support, "Silent Alarm" sold more than 280,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Over 18 months, the band went from playing small clubs to 6,000-plus-seat amphitheatres.

Tong has been cleared to resume playing when Bloc Party starts U.K. promotional performances in January. The band will return to the United States for a headlining tour in March and will swing through America three more times by the end of 2007.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=34292007

Bloc Party Liken New Album To Coldplay

Bloc Party say their upcoming second album will challenge Coldplay in terms of accessibility.

Lead singer Kele Okereke says he has purposefully tried to write lyrics which are more direct than those featured on debut ‘Silent Alarm’ on new album ‘A Weekend In The City’, released next month. He tells Billboard, “I wanted to make something that could be more easily understood, without dumbing it down.”

Bassist Gordon Noakes goes one step further, likening the title track to Coldplay.

He says, “It's got everything that makes a Coldplay song, plus more. It has a lush sound without being too syrupy."

http://www.gigwise.com/news.asp?contentid=26496

Bloc Party say their upcoming second album will challenge Coldplay in terms of accessibility.

Lead singer Kele Okereke says he has purposefully tried to write lyrics which are more direct than those featured on debut ‘Silent Alarm’ on new album ‘A Weekend In The City’, released next month. He tells Billboard, “I wanted to make something that could be more easily understood, without dumbing it down.”

Bassist Gordon Noakes goes one step further, likening the title track to Coldplay.

He says, “It's got everything that makes a Coldplay song, plus more. It has a lush sound without being too syrupy."

http://www.gigwise.com/news.asp?contentid=26496

Yes, I read that last time. Scared me to bits :stunned:. Dunno what they are saying, because I dont like their new song. Wait until I get the album, to give my opinion I guess :(

• 3 weeks later...

Bloc Party's song 'The Prayer' has lyrics that are really helping me at the moment.......\

Lord give me grace and dancing feet

And the power to impress

Lord give me grace and dancing feet

Let me outshine the moon

Is it so wrong to crave recognition?

Second best, runner-up

Is it so wrong to want rewarding?

To want more than is given to you?

Than is given to you

Tonight make me unstoppable

And I will charm, I will slice

I will dazzle them with my wit

I will dazzle, I will outshine them all

Standing on the packed dance floor

Our bodies thrown in time

Silent on the weekdays

Tonight I claim what's mine

Is it so wrong to crave recognition?

Second best, runner-up

Is it so wrong to want rewarding?

To want more than is given to you?

Than is given to you

:veryangry2: I wont go into it..... but thanks Bloc Party :)

Silent Alarm is a friggin' masterpiece!!!

Yeah...so got a text from Jen (Nettie) at 4pm....she won tickets to Bloc Party at Mean Fiddler in London and had a spare!! I said...um YES! (thanks Jen) When we got there they were handing out more tickets as they had some left over too....wish I could have got my brother there...:\

They.were. amazing. :o

I still cant believe I saw them earlier when I wrote about that song last night...and I saw it live :dance:

Hehe, I read your story at Jen's site today... congratulations! Must have been an incredible gig! :nice: What do you think about their new songs? Are they totally different to "Silent Alarm"? I read about it in a music magazine and that's worrying me somehow...