✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

FOX news guy slags off Chris Martin...

berrywoman

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick, my turn to join the fray...

You got to start understanding that YOUR war (i.e. your perception of the US-initiated war on Iraq) is a helluva different from the TERRORISTS' war.

You (and the Bush admin's excuse) are saying this war is justified and that it should be founght because it frees the Iraqis and brings democracy and stops the oppression (as well as the killing) of the people there. Also that America needs to get rid of the terrorists (which u think originate from there).

Nick, you need to know a couple of things (if you don't already):

1) First of all, terrorists do NOT just come from Iraq (or Afghanistan) for that matter.

2) These terrorists don't know/understand/care about your intentions to free the Iraqi people... They are freaking mad that apparently innocent people- their friends, family and loved ones are getting killed/shot at by American soldiers (and their allies) who are justifiably shit-scared too. Many Iraqis are just poor peasants/farmers who would be struggling to put food on the table rather than fight over ideologies like us. Besides most of them wouldn't be very educated (or have gone to school) - they'd be just struggling to survive. Anything that messes with that and it'll be enough for them to go to war and kill themselves (as well as others) over. They view American soldiers as a direct threat to them, they don't care that you guys went over to liberate them from Saddam in the first place :rolleyes: . Besides, Saddam wasn't targeting them for extermination/oppression, they were too busy just trying to survive than go protest / try to overthrow Saddam.

The better educated people who end up as terrorists - the engineers, store-keepers, rich-man's sons - it's the same thing although their motivation is different. They see their countrymen (or people of their own race/religion) being attacked and killed by outsiders. Deep in their psyche and culture, it feels like history is being repeated all over again - the Crusades (i.e. Jihad to them). So what do they do? Same as what you and I would be doing in the same situation... They'd be outraged and angry that the people they care about are suffering and dying. But where we scream and shout and protest, they do something more substantial/extreme... They end up taking up arms and "sacrificing themselves" to kill the enemy. It's just their culture... dying was never too big a deal given the harsh conditions they've had to survive historically, and there's glory in becoming a matyr too (for their own people, religion, whatever).

3) Therefore, for the terrorists... War is about eliminating the threat US is causing them. Remember, whether it's the truth now or not, that the 1st Iraq war started by Bush senior WAS all about the oil, even if it was for the "just cause" of protecting Kuwait from Iraq. People have memories... Of course the middle eastern people will be suspicious of US intentions. You don't just have a war brought upon your country and forget that it ever happened, and the reasons why it happened in just 15 years!!! Especially if it was about something as stupid as oil :rolleyes: ... You see where this is leading us?

Eliminating the threat. You view them as a threat, they view you as a threat. Both sides are equally bent on eliminating each other, even at the cost of human lives... The US has backing of its government who will keep supplying soldiers; the terrorists are "terrorised" and thus defend themselves by taking out the enemy; terrorist attacks happen and the Bush government "strengthens its resolve to eliminate the terrorist threat".... So there is more war, more casualties on both ends. The same old cycle will repeat itself. It is not going to end or go away.

Nick, the terrorist threat cannot be eliminated by force/arms. Can't you see that? For every terrorist you kill, there'll be people who love them who'll want revenge; there'll be sympathetic countrymen who feel "here's another example of invasion of my country by outsiders" and be inspired to become suicide bombers... Haven't you ever heard them say, "for every one of our brothers you kill, ten more will spring up and take our place"? If you haven't, this is how it happens, and it ain't going away unless the US changes its approach. Killing terrorists and freezing their arms/militant-training funding can help, but it'll never solve the root of the problem. This is not a war against drug cartels or the mafia, it is far more than that - people will fight to the point of death when their way of life and own people are being threatened- it's all about survival. Think about it, if somebody wanted to remove democracy from your country or was attacking your country on its own land, you'd pretty much enlist in the army to defend your country and even kill the invaders wouldn't you?

As for removing the military presence your country has placed in Iraq in the first place, as I've said earlier elsewhere, the US has landed itself into a quagmire it started in the first place. And the fault lies with none other than George W Bush. You see, if he hadn't gone on and on about "freeing the people, bringing democracy to Iraq" etc and destabilising the whole country by toppling Saddam using US forces, there wouldn't be all this mess. Of the various methods previous presidents have tried- to assasinate him, bomb him, use economic and political means so that the Iraqi people themselves finally removed him - none of which has worked so far to be fair - to remove Saddam, you know why the US never declared war? I sure know that one of the reasons was so that the military needn't be involved. Now that Bush has made this into a moral war as well, the US government cannot justifiably remove US troops unless and until the situation there has settled and peace is maintained. This day ain't gonna come since the troops keep accidentally killing Iraqi civilians. Here's "Collateral damage" for ya :dozey: . Bush has also made things messier for your next president coz it looks likely the war will still be when he steps down. Then the next prez will have to figure out how to remove the troops without being condemned worldwide for abandoning this situation.

All this of course is assuming that the war isn't about oil and US military presence in the middle east. If the war is because of oil, then good luck folks cause your people are going to remain there... And the casualties ain't going away. With prolonged military presence in the middle east, the people there will of course be justifiably angry and agitated and terrorism will fluorish. All the bloodshed and bad-blood caused by politics and greed. When will we ever learn? :rolleyes:

WELL SAID MS. GENTLEPARACHUTE----I AGREE WITH ALL YOUVE SAID AND YOU BROUGHT UP A GREAT POINT-----THE NEXT US PRESIDENT IS IN A STICKY SITUATION---CAUSE BUSH AINT GONNA FIX ANYTHING ANYMORE---HE AINT GONNA FIX IT----ALL HE HAS TO DO IS CHILL, TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE SITUATION AND THEN WHEN IT COMES-----STEP BACK

I WISH USA STOPED PLAYING THE DEMOCRACY POLICE OF THE WORLD AND JUST WORRIED BOUT OUR OWN SELVES----BUSH WAS JUST A BIG MISTAKE IN OUR COUNTRY----ACTUALLY NOT EVEN MISTAKE CAUSE WE DIDNT VOTE FOR HIM----HE CHEATED HIMSELF IN :P

BY THE WAY------GENTLEPARACHUTE---WHERE ARE U FROM??? UR FLAG???

^Thanks for the compliment... You're great yourself too you know. I just gotta say some things sometimes when I see certain things not being put right. ;)

BY THE WAY------GENTLEPARACHUTE---WHERE ARE U FROM??? UR FLAG???

I'm from Malaysia. That's the Malaysian flag you're seeing there... It quite resembles the good ol' star-spangled banner doesn't it? :P My country's alright by and large, though I guess I do get into a huff over some things sometimes. But seeing how a single person can mess up a whole country (actually make that three including Iraq and Afghanistan) makes me very thankful that my country is what it is. :D Dubya messed up beyond my wildest dreams (and I didn't mean that in a good way)... It's amazing how one single person can so screw up the world :angry:

IF THAT SADENS YOU--IMAGINE ME---- I GOTTA LIVE HERE AND I AM THE ONE REPRESENTING AMERICA-----WHEN I GOT OUT TO ANOTHER COUNTRY----I GOTTA LIE ABOUT WHERE I COME FROM CAUSE I AM DISGUSTED AT WHAT MA COUNTRY NOW REPRESENTS :P

THATS WHY WE GOTTA SPEAK UP AND QUESTION OUR GOVERNMENTS :P

I totally understand that. What kind of world can we expect our children to have 10-20 years from now :huh: It is a scary prospect :/

it will be scarier if people continue to look teh other way all the time. most the world hasnt learned the lessons from ww2, and it will come back to kick us in our ass sometime soon.

Maybe Chris mispoke a little bit, shareholders aren't as bad as corporate CEOs, I mean look that what happened with Enron, the CEOs screwed the shareholders and employees. So corporate CEOs can be pretty nasty, but overall the biggest evil right now in the world looks like terrorism to me. Misusing (and ultimately dishonoring) Islam to try and justify killing civillians seems mighty evil to me. ;)