✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kanye West!

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im staying away from the leak (very unlike me) but i agree that the lyrical content of some of the songs are a little WTF and off putting. usually im not bothered by swearing or explicit lyrics but some of these kanye tracks take it a bit too far.

i heard Hell of A Life on the radio last night and really enjoyed it.

i really hope triple j feature this album. but it might be difficult as they still have another 2 weeks of ausmusic month left so they have to play aussie albums. and i fear that they fear the wrath of the indie music fan for playing a "mainstream" artist. it kills me that people base the quality of music on how popular it is rather than on its own merits.

^It doesn't seem like a very Triple-j like album though is it? I think they are running short on good acts to feature anyway so I might get a run. And as for Kanye I might get the clean version and see if I like it more.

well they featured his first 3 albums. and 808s was quite the triple j hit over the summer of 2008. i've heard Monster, Power and Runaway quite a number of times on the station. and kingsmill played 3 tracks off it last night.

kanye is one of the very very few artists out there who has enjoyed both massive mainstream success but sustained popularity and respect on the alternative scene over many years and several albums. but that comes at a cost because you have alt music fans turning their nose up at him cos he's popular and mainstream fans saying "is he that gold digger guy who made swifty cry?"

I like him. Mainly because of his respect in the alternative scene. He makes good music most of the time and he does have a lot of ingenuity about him. Probably my favourite rapper if I had to choose one. For that reason I listen to him. I don't mind bands that have mainstream success as long as they dont lose their way eg coldplay, etc etc.

Exactly when I heard it! It was on triple J, around 7:30. Tune! Based on the radio and G.O.O.D Fridays, I have practically heard half the album anyway

It's nice the final versions are a little different than the G.O.O.D. Friday versions. For example Devil In a New Dress has a whole new verse by Rick Ross at the end and sounds great.

Guest Osaka Sun
Lost in the world is my favourite track so far.

This HAS to be the next single. It's something else. Reminds me of a 90s synthpop/dance song, can't remember the name of it (not Imogen Heap :P).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YCOXe45fAQ&feature=related]YouTube - Kanye West - Lost In The World (Original & Final Version) + Download (New 2010) (CDQ)[/ame]

wow thats incredible!

i bought it this afternoon straight after my last exam. taking my first listen now, so far so awesome!

Get this - I went in to buy it Friday, on release day, but they stuffed up the orders to the JB city stores so they didn't stock it until monday! Hope it doesn't negatively affect his sales or chances to get to #1 here.

Reviews so far

PopMatters - 10/10

Pitchfork - 10/10

Slant Magazine - 10/10

The Phoenix - 10/10

Entertainment Weekly - 10/10

Rolling Stone - 10/10

it's been amazing following the making of this album right from the beginning basically, through all the GOOD Fridays and leaks. far too often i have massively anticipated a new album and then been let down, it's nice when things go the other way.

this may just go down as the one of the greatest hip hop albums of all time.

Get this - I went in to buy it Friday, on release day, but they stuffed up the orders to the JB city stores so they didn't stock it until monday! Hope it doesn't negatively affect his sales or chances to get to #1 here.

when i went into JB yesterday i actually had trouble finding it. there was very little fanfare surrounding the release and there were at least half a dozen other albums in more prominent positions than kanye's. i guess unlike Graduation and late registration there has been no massive single in the lead up to this release so the commercial hype has been slightly muted.

Reviews so far

PopMatters - 10/10

Pitchfork - 10/10

Slant Magazine - 10/10

The Phoenix - 10/10

Entertainment Weekly - 10/10

Rolling Stone - 10/10

it's been amazing following the making of this album right from the beginning basically, through all the GOOD Fridays and leaks. far too often i have massively anticipated a new album and then been let down, it's nice when things go the other way.

this may just go down as the one of the greatest hip hop albums of all time.

Holy hell.

I have to admit, I actually gave the album a listen last night and enjoyed it a LOT more than I thought I would. I've been extremely anti-Kanye in the past (or for that matter anti-hip hop) but I actually found myself rather enjoying the album.

Maybe this is a turning point for me :P

Holy hell.

I have to admit, I actually gave the album a listen last night and enjoyed it a LOT more than I thought I would. I've been extremely anti-Kanye in the past (or for that matter anti-hip hop) but I actually found myself rather enjoying the album.

Maybe this is a turning point for me :P

im not big on hip hop either. but kanye's music has a sophistication to it that is lacking in most hip hop. when you listen to it you can tell that he has put effort into it and actually thought about what he was doing.

i know ive said this a million times already. but people seem to be forgetting that this is kanyes FIFTH album. that sort of longevity is almost unheard of these days.