✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Fiona Apple

[nicole]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Tidal" ...and then one called "when the pawn hits.." (the title of the album is actually about 90 words, but that's the short name for it...meaning if you go to a record store and ask for "when the pawn hits" by Fiona Apple...they will know) ...just FYI

The title ^^^is actually a part of a letter she wrote to someone...and not a nice one either :rolleyes:

She started really young ( i think @ 17 she got her break) and has always had a strong voice for such a petite person... that's power...her voice. Anyways...

Ahh...I loved Fiona from her very beginnings :)

"Tidal" ...and then one called "when the pawn hits.." (the title of the album is actually about 90 words, but that's the short name for it...meaning if you go to a record store and ask for "when the pawn hits" by Fiona Apple...they will know) ...just FYI

The title ^^^is actually a part of a letter she wrote to someone...and not a nice one either :rolleyes:

She started really young ( i think @ 17 she got her break) and has always had a strong voice for such a petite person... that's power...her voice. Anyways...

Ahh...I loved Fiona from her very beginnings :)

Thanks

I just can't get over the lyrical genious of this girl! This song is perhaps my fav song by her...

"Oh Well"

What you did to me made me

See myself something different

Though I try to talk sense to myself

But I just won't listen

Won't you go away

Turned yourself in

You're no good at confession

Before the image that you burned me in

Tries to teach you a lesson

What you did to me made me see myself somethin' awful

A voice once stentorian is now again meek and muffled

It took me such a long time to get back up the first time you did it

I spent all I had to get it back, and now it seems I've been outbidded

My peace and quiet was stolen from me

When I was looking with calm affection

You were searching out my imperfections

What wasted unconditional love

On somebody

Who doesn't believe in the stuff

You came upon me like a hypnic jerk

When I was just about to settle

And when it counts you recoil

With the cryptic word you even love belittling

Oh what a cold and common old way to go

I was feeding on the need for you to know me

Devastated at the rate you feel below me

What wasted unconditional love

On somebody

Who doesn't believe in the stuff

Oh well

--

Wow.. Just.. wow!

:stunned:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Grammy-winning singer Fiona Apple, who went into self-imposed exile for several years from live performing, is terrified at the thought of preparing for her upcoming concert tour, and now it's less than two weeks away.

The tour to promote her 1999 critically acclaimed album, "When the Pawn ..." did not go well. She famously walked off stage at a Manhattan concert in tears after

only two songs, never to return that evening. Since 2000, she has avoided the stage.

"It makes me panic inside to think that I'm not going to be able to remember my own songs and the work that it's going to take to learn them again," Apple said in an interview.

Hence her nerves at the prospect of a 13-city U.S. tour, starting on November 22 in Portland, Oregon, to promote her latest album, "Extraordinary Machine." Still, she has not spent much time rehearsing. This tour ends December 11 in New York.

"Did I once sit down at the piano in my house in the last three years and try to work on these songs before the last weekend?" she asked, laughing. "No, I put everything off until the two days before we started rehearsals!"

But after only three days of practice with her band, her jitters are subsiding as her "fingers are remembering" her old songs, such as "Shadowboxer," "Criminal" and "Never is a Promise" from her triple-platinum 1996 debut album "Tidal."

Apple, 28, who grew up in New York and lives in Venice Beach, California, has already had her fair share of drama.

She caused a stir in 1997, appearing looking anorexic and in her underwear for the video of her hit "Criminal." She spoke also openly about being raped at age 12, and she has been described in print as tortured, controversial, volatile, disturbed as well as a magnificent musician.

RALLYING FANS

The release of "Extraordinary Machine" in October comes after rumours began that her record label Sony had rejected it, prompting fans to demand its release on a Web site, http://www.freefiona.com.

Apple said she was the one, not Sony, who wasn't happy with the initial recordings for the album and caused years of delay, but the pressure from her fans helped Sony come to the realisation that she was "a good investment."

Reviews have been positive.

"Apple ... is as musically sure-footed as she is emotionally labile," The New Yorker wrote. "'Extraordinary Machine' is the confident extension of a rich and original musical language that she has been carefully fashioning for the past decade."

While she's feeling less apprehensive about hitting the road again, she does not rule out the possibility of another on-stage "meltdown." Part of her new confidence comes from growing older and part from the realisation that she doesn't need music in her life, she said.

"If anything I think I care a lot less about my career than I did years ago," Apple said. "I'm more looking at going on the road as a fun experience, I'm not depending on a great show to make me feel like a great person.

"I spent six years without this life, so I know I can go back to a life without all this crap," she added.

Apple said she doesn't even really listen to other people's music.

Though the headliner on her upcoming tour, Apple will be the opening act for chart-topping band Coldplay for some U.S. concerts next year -- a task she said would be relatively easy for her. In the past, opening for bands including The Counting Crows and The Rolling Stones, Apple said she felt like an "uninvited guest."

"It sucks because half the people are there, and it sounds strange in the those huge places when it's only half full," she said. "It used to kind of bother me. But now when I think about it, it feels pretty easy because the pressure is off. I can go up for 45 minutes and then just forget about it."

Fiona is amazing. I cannot believe she is opening for Coldplay. My friend and I were just joking DAYS before that announcement was made about who could open for them...and we said Fiona as a joke. We never thought it was possible. Freaky...

She is one of the best songwriters ever, in my opinion. I don't typically like a lot of female artists (no offense to anyone who takes offense), but she is one that I really, REALLY enjoy. Her lyrics are so intelligent and the music is unique. "Shadowboxer" from Tidal is probably one of her best (and so FUN to sing to!).

I can't wait to see her BEFORE COLDPLAY!!!! AHHHHH! It's so awesome!!! :D :o

yeah, Fiona is known for her crazy stage antics...she is very capricious (i think that is the word). She's been known to just walk off of the stage..

Maybe that has to do with her past life experiences.

Either that or just say she will sing this song or the other and do something completely different. Has anyone ever noticed that some of her best works are cover songs? Like "Across the Universe" (The Beatles cover)...is AMAZING...

and "Angel" (Jimi Hendrix cover) is also really really good! Maybe it's just me. I mean her songs are beautifully written and all..i am just saying...those covers are awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, so last night, I could not sleep. So I was hanging off the side of my bedsie with my arm haging loosely over the side of my bed. I was reaching underneath my bed (which happens to be very scary at night) but i was. And TA DA! My hand grabs an old CD! It was 'Tidal' which I had not listened to in FOREVER.

So I popped it into my player and it was a magic moment for me.

I have gotten back into my swing with Fiona..and it feels so shway!

:O

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i love love LOVE fiona apple. i've always thought she had such a soulful voice - when tidal came out, i remember thinking "i can't believe this chick is my age!" hehe...(wish i could sing like that.)

and i absolutely love extraordinary machine. of course, i'll never get sick of hearing tidal and when the pawn...

• 7 months later...

Fiona Apple returns to intimacy

"I've never done this kind of thing before in my life," Fiona Apple said Monday, introducing a song during her show at the Largo.

That's exactly the kind of thing the audience at the matchbox-size club was hoping for, a moment to memorably differentiate this benefit performance from a business-as-usual Fiona Apple concert.

The intimacy of the room and the mix of originals and standards in the set had already made it distinctive enough, but it turned out that what she had never done before was a call-and-response audience-participation number.

So there she was, the princess of sophisticated, raw-nerve confessional pop, belting out the theme from the kids' TV show "Gumby" and having the audience shout back "Gungi."

"Gungi" is the nickname of her production manager Gordon Paterson, whose battle with cancer prompted Apple to schedule two fundraising shows (the second one, also sold out, is Friday) at the Fairfax district club that's been a regular haunt of hers.

If her Gumby moment was a playful and slightly ridiculous diversion, the 90-minute set overall was weighted toward the sublime. And though its main aim was to help Paterson financially, the evening also made a statement about Apple's artistry.

Her shows in recent years have reached for such a large scale, culminating in last year's tour of arenas opening for Coldplay, that her distinguishing subtleties have tended to be obscured. Monday's performance was a radical reassertion of the nuanced writing and singing that give her music such chilling intimacy.

In the small, nearly silent room, Apple sometimes offered a lyric so softly that her listeners leaned forward like friends hanging on a revelation that would explain everything.

Even in these rarified moments, her voice always held its shape and phrased with percussive precision. Every time she concluded the intricate refrain of "Extraordinary Machine" — "I make the most of it / I'm an extraordinary machine" — it sounded like a string of fine, tiny porcelain beads.

Apple, who was accompanied for all but a couple of songs by longtime collaborator and Largo ringmaster Jon Brion on acoustic guitar, was a strikingly physical performer, reacting to moods and tempos with a body that flailed, stalked, swayed and twitched. Her vocals also ranged far from those understated passages, growling in primal scream mode on "To Your Love" and adopting a torch singer's croon on "Shadowboxer."

These and a few other originals shared the set with some vintage pop standards whose harmonic complexity and lyrical smarts have clearly inspired her own pop-cabaret style. Honoring their nature but bending them to her will, Apple and Brion made Duke Ellington's "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" a ragtimey romp and gave Frank Loesser's "On a Slow Boat to China" a gentle sway. "Crazy" (Willie Nelson's, not Gnarls Barkley's, though that might have been something to try), Irving Berlin's "All Alone" and "Blue Skies" and others helped fill out a panorama of pop history.

Apple might have looked a bit severe in her black, Japanese-style flower-print dress and with her hair tied back tightly, but the atmosphere grew increasingly loose as she and Brion were joined for much of the set by Heartbreakers pianist Benmont Tench and for a stretch by Sean and Sara Watkins of the bluegrass band Nickel Creek.

They all pitched in to the set's big release point, a roof-raising, hot-jazz take on Ella Fitzgerald's "When I Get Low I Get High," with Brion and Tench sharing the one piano. And the Watkins siblings helped Apple tap a strain of rootsy Americana: Singing high harmony on the 19th century murder ballad "Banks of the Ohio" is probably something she doesn't do very often either.

http://www.calendarlive.com/music/cl-et-fiona7mar07,0,3877838.story?coll=cl-home-more-channels

• 5 years later...

I'm bumping this because FIONA IS BACK and I'm gonna marry her and have her babies

The new album, titled "The Idler Wheel is wiser than the Driver of the Screw, and Whipping Cords will serve you more than Ropes will ever do" is due in June sometime. Her first album in seven years, if I'm not mistaken.

Last night she played her first outside-of-LA set in five years, debuting THREE new songs.

The new stuff is fresh as hell and I'm so excited

I hope other people like her otherwise this will come off as annoying WHATEVER

I remember when she opened for Coldplay in 2005 for the TL tour. It was one of the best concerts I'd ever been to. If you're into Coldplay (I hear a lot of people on here are for some reason), Coldplay and Fiona Apple have a history of supporting each other's creativity.

Anyway...here's an article. Read it. And get pumped like I am.

Report: Fiona Apple at SXSW

5eecc36f.JPG

"I only write [music] when I'm angry or sad or something, because that's when I just have to write. I only will work if I absolutely have to. If I'm having a good time and I'm happy and things are going really well, why would I wanna stop what I'm doing and go write at the piano?" That's Fiona Apple on "The Late Late Show" with Craig Ferguson in 2006, explaining why we sometimes see very long gaps between her releases-- and why the albums wind up creating such an impact once they come to fruition.

fiona3.JPG?wmode=transparent

If Apple's appearance at NPR Music's SXSW showcase at Stubb's tonight was any indication, her upcoming album-- her first in seven years-- was written and recorded out of pure emotional necessity. Apple performed three brand new songs, along with eight of her better-known cuts from the first three albums, transitioning seamlessly between each mini-era of her output. (See the full setlist below.)

During the first couple of songs, the vocals were turned down too far, and she seemed slightly shocked at the fact that she was even on stage: "I started spacing out," she said during one of the few moments she stopped to speak to the crowd. "Because I was like, 'Fuck!' I'm doing a show."

fiona4.JPG?wmode=transparent

But the beloved Fiona intensity picked up speed during the first new song, "Anything We Want", in which she narrates intimate imaginings of escaping to a dream world with a lover. In no time the trademark live-action Fiona was in full force, complete with exaggerated trembles and shakes, singing that hovered close to growling or screaming, minutes-long jam-outs (she brought along a full band), full-body heaves of breath and demonic facial contortions.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuYSfB7G6ac&feature=player_embedded]Fiona Apple "Anything We Want" SXSW 2012 NPR Stubbs - YouTube[/ame]

It was characteristically dramatic, but you could never accuse her of affectation: "Every single night's a fight with my brain," went the chorus for another new one, a plucky, minimalist song called "Every Single Night" that hinges on neurotic, hyper-emotional inner monologue. "I just want to feel…everything," she sang. As harbingers go, that's the best you can imagine.

Fiona Apple performs tomorrow night at Pitchfork's showcase at the Central Presbyterian Church.

fiona2.JPG?wmode=transparent

SOURCE: Pitchfork

http://pitchfork.com/news/45758-report-fiona-apple-at-sxsw/

^ If you love her so much why don't you dress like her and reenact her videos? :charming:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-DbWyLAQ2w]Fiona Apple on Songwriting - YouTube[/ame]

LOL Tarantino u crazy fucker.

• 7 months later...