🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

The Frames / The Swell Season / Once

::Hayley::

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also really warming up to strict joy. I listened to the extended version online with a full concert attached to the end, including a ton of talking in between songs.

I've got to get around to hearing those bonus songs. But the album is getting better and better the more I listen to it. Not nearly at the level of some of the Frames' better work (Fitz, Dance The Devil, The Cost), but on its own it is fantastic work.

Review

When Once hit theaters in 2007, Glen Hansard had already pursued international acclaim for more than 15 years with the Frames. Although popular in Ireland, the singer's music wasn't nearly as omnipresent in other countries until the movie's release, which catapulted former Frames tunes like "Falling Slowly" into the spotlight. The OnceHansard's side project with simpatico songwriter Markéta Irglová into a full-fledged, award-winning, globetrotting band. While playing international venues and attending industry award shows, the two attracted additional attention for their real-life relationship, which effectively replaced soundtrack was also a big hit, turning Once's semi-tearful conclusion with a storybook ending. Released two years after the film's release, however, Strict Joy finds Hansard and Irglová going their separate ways, choosing to end their relationship while remaining in the same band.

Hansard has used heartbreak for fuel in the past, and he keeps the blaze going throughout these 12 tracks. If the Once soundtrack was a bit spotty -- its track list culled from a haphazard array of old FramesVan Morrison covers, collaborative material, and musicians' own tunes -- then songs, Strict Joy shows what the Swell Season can do with a singular theme and a solid backing band, both of which contribute to the album's cohesion. Van Morrison's influence is still apparent, particularly in the '70s-styled soul of "Low Rising," but the singer/songwriter ambience that permeated Once's music doesn't carry as much weight here. Instead, Strict Joy devotes more concern to exploring the lush possibilities of Swell Season's sound, which now includes tasteful doses of strings, electric guitar, and overdubbed harmonies. The results are quite often gorgeous, with songs like "The Rain" and "Wild Horses"* building up to expansive, cathartic climaxes over the course of several minutes. Also striking are the performances by Markéta Irglová, who turns her fragile voice -- an instrument that always seemed detrimentally self-conscious on previous albums -- into something alluring on "Fantasy Man" and "I Have Loved You Wrong." It's testament to the band's vision that they remain focused despite such improvements; no amount of cinematic orchestration can change the fact that these songs are, after all, inward-looking tunes about heartbreak and personal struggle, and their lyrics resonate regardless of their wrapping paper. As a result, Strict Joy is a joy from start to finish, and few bands manage to mix intimacy and sweeping songcraft with such finesse.

*High Horses

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:jpfpxz8aldje~T1

A great, very well-written review of the album. They gave it 4.5 stars out of 5.It almost seems like Glen has reached a point where he can do no wrong musically.

Major FAIL as this cut of 'Fitzcarraldo' has been wrongly titled at 'The Waltz' (a song from an earlier album). Sad yes, but still:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFy5tTmyijM]YouTube- the frames - The Waltz[/ame]

Listen and go on a journey. It's moving.

<33333333333333333333333

I had a dream where I met Glen and Marketa after the show. WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE ALL THE WAY IN MARCH :bigcry:

Trust me, it will be worth the wait.

I don't know if you've ever seen Coldplay live, but this will be better. I personally guarantee it.

Oh and if you're persistent and ask around enough, that dream of meeting them is likely to come true.

Trust me, it will be worth the wait.

I don't know if you've ever seen Coldplay live, but this will be better. I personally guarantee it.

Oh and if you're persistent and ask around enough, that dream of meeting them is likely to come true.

I have seen Coldplay and I'm very sure The Swell Season will be amazing <3

Awesome, I really want to meet them and I really want to hear their accents tbh :rolleyes:

I have seen Coldplay and I'm very sure The Swell Season will be amazing <3

Awesome, I really want to meet them and I really want to hear their accents tbh :rolleyes:

Swell Season will be better. Trust meh.

Mar had a cold the night I met Glen so I didn't get to talk with her, but Glen's accent is sick.

so how do you go about talking to them afterwards? like is there a certain place to get to meet/talk to them?

Well sometimes they'll just come out to the stage long after the set is over and they'll just chill in front of the stage. They don't seem to be doing that as much anymore as more and more people are waiting to meet them. At the RI show we waited outside next to the bus and eventually Glen came out. There had to be at least 70 people there and I'm sure he talked to them all.

Basically, look what others are doing, ask someone who works at the venue, and if all else fails, find the bus and wait next to it. They won't leave you in the cold.

I've been listening to Strict Joy a couple of times now, and I looooove it!! They did a great job :D!! My favorites are Feeling The Pull, In These Arms, Fantasy Man, Back Broke and the ending of I Have Loved You Wrong is fucking amazing :heart:! The whole song is amazing! The whole album is amazing :P.

I've been listening to Strict Joy a couple of times now, and I looooove it!! They did a great job :D!! My favorites are Feeling The Pull, In These Arms, Fantasy Man, Back Broke and the ending of I Have Loved You Wrong is fucking amazing :heart:! The whole song is amazing! The whole album is amazing :P.

THIS

I actually am listening atm (The Rain right now). It's just so good.

Sometimes my favorite is In These Arms, sometimes it's IHLYW, sometimes Two Tongues, hell Low Rising seems to be the fav I never say is my fav. It's mad how good this music is.

(high horses atm)

I was listening to 'Santa Maria' live by The Frames on their Breadcrumb Trail album, and I was just in awe at how amazing they sound. True artists. Best fucking music in the world from that Glen guy.