✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I talk shit about Coldplay

The Reckoner 00

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're all brainwashed!!! ;)

Brainwashed by what? Our own opinions? ...

Precisely. Well, that and the media hype machine. And maybe U2.

Well, with all the Coldplay bashing that critics have been doing--I'd say you're brainwashed.

hahaha

albie. classic. I'm nowhere near his realm of shit-stirring.

Here's how I see it. A band of wonderful (and humble) lads got together and created something intimate and beautiful. The world agreed that it was good, so the pressure was on to create something just as good, or even greater. The pressure grew and grew and the oven was cooking full heat. The Fab Four, not wanting to disappoint, let success go to their heads and allowed themselves to be influenced by the press and felt they had to create something so huge that it would fill all the arenas of the world.

They succeeded in creating much bombast in the music, but they lost the intimacy in the rafters of those huge arenas. The beauty turned out to be that lost balloon from the last auto show that winter.

After they released their bombastic second album and began touring and filling HUGE arenas everywhere they went, they began to believe that yes, they were the greatest thing that ever happened to music. They lost their focus. They lost their grip on the beginning and the beauty they had once known. Then they got REALLY famous because of a certain love affair. They soon got around to creating their third album that lacked even more in emotion, but made up for it by burying the vocals in a sea of sound. Unfortunately, some of the more painful lyrics, i.e. poorly written, were still brought to the forefront of the music, embarassing even the worst of amateur poets.

It's a sad tale of fame and lost roots. It seems to happen all to often. Band gets famous and forgot how they got there and all is lost.

True story.

Anybody remember the good days when they were modest and played beautiful music?

They still do... Although I would agree if you said that they'd lost something that's central to them being called Coldplay. I can't put my finger down to what it is exactly, but I sure as hell can feel something important's been lost. Put that down to exhaustion or losing perspective/focus maybe...

I sure as hell can feel something important's been lost. ...losing perspective/focus maybe...

Definitely. I didn't even bother buying X & Y. A friend let me listen to it and I just couldn't handle it. I used to defend Coldplay back when they were just starting to come to America. I pointed out their artistic integrity and the beauty of what they did. I agreed that they took some from the Radiohead Bends-era playbook, but they created something all their own. Then Rush of Blunt Force Trauma to the Head was released and all the little teeny-bopping girls started screaming about Christ Marting and The Cold Play on the official message board and I knew things would never be the same.

At least I have my Parachutes (and b-sides and pre-Parachutes material)

It has definitely played a role in changing the music.

Music is partially a product of mindset, and when the mindset of someone is so drastically changed in such a short period of time, so, too, will the music be drastically changed. Maybe the music is more subtle because it still kind of sounds the same, but deep down, I can feel a difference. It's really kind of depressing if I think about it too much.

hahaha

albie. classic. I'm nowhere near his realm of shit-stirring.

Here's how I see it. A band of wonderful (and humble) lads got together and created something intimate and beautiful. The world agreed that it was good, so the pressure was on to create something just as good, or even greater. The pressure grew and grew and the oven was cooking full heat. The Fab Four, not wanting to disappoint, let success go to their heads and allowed themselves to be influenced by the press and felt they had to create something so huge that it would fill all the arenas of the world.

They succeeded in creating much bombast in the music, but they lost the intimacy in the rafters of those huge arenas. The beauty turned out to be that lost balloon from the last auto show that winter.

After they released their bombastic second album and began touring and filling HUGE arenas everywhere they went, they began to believe that yes, they were the greatest thing that ever happened to music. They lost their focus. They lost their grip on the beginning and the beauty they had once known. Then they got REALLY famous because of a certain love affair. They soon got around to creating their third album that lacked even more in emotion, but made up for it by burying the vocals in a sea of sound. Unfortunately, some of the more painful lyrics, i.e. poorly written, were still brought to the forefront of the music, embarassing even the worst of amateur poets.

It's a sad tale of fame and lost roots. It seems to happen all to often. Band gets famous and forgot how they got there and all is lost.

Are you serious? :stunned:

But you have to use some common sense.. you said that they made a beautiful first album and everyone saw it as so. If everyone saw it as so, how do you expect them to keep playing little, tiny, intimate shows? There has to be room to accomodate all these people who noticed their talent and appreciate their music. What band do you know stays performing in coffee shops after having a number 1 album?

Everything else you said is your opinion. No harm done there I guess, though I disagree with your reasoning. I see growth in the different albums, Coldplay is growing up. Different experiences in life call for a different style of music composed and written. You can't expect a Parachutes album for the second and third records, friend.

As for success getting to their heads - go read a couple of magazine interviews and you'll see how much (should I say little?) truth there is to that. They acknowledge their success (you can't miss it..lol) but it does not go to their heads. But hey, opinions are never wrong nor right. Thanks for sharing, it's a shame you're not a fan anymore.