✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I talk shit about Coldplay

The Reckoner 00

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, there's still this one kid who always comes up behind me and goes "I loooove Coldplay I go home and cry and listen to them. Then I listen to them some more. And all I do is cry because the music is SOOO beautiful! *sob*"

Mocking me. I hate it.

Awww that sucks, some people are pathetic. :angry: Thats the same type of crap i used to get at school, thank god i dont go anymore!!! :)

PS-*High Five!!!*

Oh believe me, I've lived with it long enough that I know how to handle people like that. I just tell them to piss off and get on with it. The stupid thing is that I don't EVER make fun of what they listen to! I might privately, but I'd never tell them to their face that I think blah blah blah sucks. It's really unfair.

That's why coming to a place like this each day just makes me feel better, knowing that I might be right about SOMETHING for once! :rolleyes: :lol:

Hey an_cat and coldplay_steph, chill ok? Let me give ya some :heart: :)

Sorry if some of us here (including me) ever said anything that upset you so much... I mean I get it now why you're upset that some fans here criticise / comment on how the band can/should do/improve... I mean loving the band so much and not being able to show it especially to 'friends' in school and then having to face more criticism here at the boards where all the 'real fans' :P are, I guess that can make you sick of it all... And just wanna run away to some place where everything's fine (kinda like the place described in Don't Panic... We live in a beautiful world) huh? Sorry if we make you feel like u wanna explode.

But let me describe how a section of us fans here who tend to 'criticise' / 'be negative' about Coldplay feel... I think for us, music is personal and we feel that the band are inspirational... so much so that we don't care if we're labeled uncool if we like Coldplay (most of us figure we're uncool anyway). Also, for some of us, back where we come from, Coldplay are so far off the radar that it isn't even uncool to like them... It's like 'Coldplay who???'.. We're just so happy if anybody's even heard of them, let alone like them, and I guess anybody we meet who's heard of 'em generally is a fan... So for people like us, almost everybody on this board is a fan... So we've never really felt victimised for being a fan... No one comes up and eggs us 'Haha, wot? You're a fan? Loser... :rolleyes: ' So, people like us have never felt defensive (nor felt a need to be defensive) about supporting / being a fan of Coldplay. To us, we just comment and react to what we perceive about the band without giving it a second thought coz I guess we just didn't realise there are actually people out there (or here actually :P) who've been 'persecuted' for liking Coldplay...

Sorry then, if sometimes what some of us say/express sounds too negative / harsh for you to bear... We're commenting on the band and not criticising your choice in music at all. Also, just because some of us don't like / think certain parts of their songs/albums/way they do things could be better, doesn't mean we don't like / appreciate the band / are not fans... We are here, after all. And I guess we got very high hopes for the band (more than others bands coz Coldplay are special ;) )... And inevitably some of us think they could do better, and say so... We are humans after all, with feelings and opinions :rolleyes: So don't take it personally ok, coz we're not having a go at fans like you... We're just expressing something that we hope some of the other fans on here share too. You got a right to like the music that you do without people booing you for it... And different people have got different reasons for liking something so it's only natural that views differ.

Oh, and for all it's worth... I know it can be hard when all the people around you are mindless idiots who don't know what good music is, but those 'friends' who ostracise / make fun of you for liking Coldplay (or whatever else that goes under the heading of personal preferences)... Ditch them. They're not worth your time and energy. You're much better off with Coldplay fans and the people here... We may criticise aspects of Coldplay now and then, but we'd never seriously laugh at you / make you feel bad about liking the music/bands that you choose (be they Coldplay or not). And most of us still support/have hope for the band no matter what we say anyway... :rolleyes:

So have heart, ok? To most of us here at the boards, Coldplay are THE band. Keep The Coldplay Pride Alive? :wink3: :lol: :D

Yeah i totally get where you are coming fromgentleparachute, and dont get me wrong, if Coldplay were to do something i didnt like i wouldnt hold my tongue, i'd say it! They may be my favourite band ever, but that doesnt mean i would be afraid to criticise something i didnt like because i feared that it would make me any seem less of a fan. Thats just silly! :)

No one on here, including yourself, has ever offended me with their opinion on the band, the only people who have are the people who sign up to this board just to piss us all off, which is pathetic. (i dont mean The Reckoner, he actually gives constructive criticism and has obviously been on this board for years :) ) Those people are obviously allowed their opinions but i just dont see the need for it to be brought here to deliberatley wind us fans up. :huh: The only reason i was angry was because of people around me who make fun of me for liking Coldplay, but as you said, they aren't worth my time or energy! :snore: :P :D

So yes lets keep that Coldplay Pride Alive! :D :D :kiss:

hahaha

albie. classic. I'm nowhere near his realm of shit-stirring.

Here's how I see it. A band of wonderful (and humble) lads got together and created something intimate and beautiful. The world agreed that it was good, so the pressure was on to create something just as good, or even greater. The pressure grew and grew and the oven was cooking full heat. The Fab Four, not wanting to disappoint, let success go to their heads and allowed themselves to be influenced by the press and felt they had to create something so huge that it would fill all the arenas of the world.

They succeeded in creating much bombast in the music, but they lost the intimacy in the rafters of those huge arenas. The beauty turned out to be that lost balloon from the last auto show that winter.

After they released their bombastic second album and began touring and filling HUGE arenas everywhere they went, they began to believe that yes, they were the greatest thing that ever happened to music. They lost their focus. They lost their grip on the beginning and the beauty they had once known. Then they got REALLY famous because of a certain love affair. They soon got around to creating their third album that lacked even more in emotion, but made up for it by burying the vocals in a sea of sound. Unfortunately, some of the more painful lyrics, i.e. poorly written, were still brought to the forefront of the music, embarassing even the worst of amateur poets.

It's a sad tale of fame and lost roots. It seems to happen all to often. Band gets famous and forgot how they got there and all is lost.

agreed.

noobs are always funny, aren't they Joel?

Don't worry. I figure if the next album bombs (hopefully), Coldplay might be humbled and actually go back to drawing board and try writing decent songs, instead of the fluff that is X&Y. Maybe in a few years they might even lose enough popularity to go back to playing clubs.

Of course, they could also just turn into a teeny-bopper hit-making machine that everyone will jump on because its 'cool'. I read that Chris is talking about releasing ANOTHER album in a year or so.

noobs are always funny, aren't they Joel?

Don't worry. I figure if the next album bombs (hopefully), Coldplay might be humbled and actually go back to drawing board and try writing decent songs, instead of the fluff that is X&Y. Maybe in a few years they might even lose enough popularity to go back to playing clubs.

Of course, they could also just turn into a teeny-bopper hit-making machine that everyone will jump on because its 'cool'. I read that Chris is talking about releasing ANOTHER album in a year or so.

Always worth a laugh. (Geez, I remember when I was a noob. It seems like they get worse and worse. I had the sense to keep quiet until I got a feel for the board(s)...)

I have this sad/discouraging/terrible feeling that The Cold Plays are going to become the next "boy band" even though they make real music and play their own instruments. I've noticed the lyrics on X & Y were atrocious compared to previous outings. I think Chris needs to take some time to re-evaluate what he's doing. Oh, and please don't rip Kraftwerk off. Stick to what you're good at, Chris.

But seriously, I'm scared of teeny-bopperism. It's like..... It's just the worst thing ever.

Yeah, there's still this one kid who always comes up behind me and goes "I loooove Coldplay I go home and cry and listen to them. Then I listen to them some more. And all I do is cry because the music is SOOO beautiful! *sob*"

Mocking me. I hate it.

I think we should have a seperate area of this forum entitled "Let's all love Coldplay! " and another area titled "Let's all rag on Coldplay!". It'd make my life a lot easier, instead of scrolling through all the threads that are devoted to one of the two.

:snore:

danielle, i truly feel what you feel about being mocked because of coldplay...but not just coldplay, u2. in my art class, since it is at an advanced level(college level, i get college credits for taking it) we are allowed to do what we want, so to ispire myself, i bring music. as many of you can imagine, coldplay is a big part of my life so i listen to them. in this class we are assigned in groups, and the people in my group, as soon as they got hold of my ipod(those nosy bastards) just to see what my musical taste was..they were impressed by my huge coldplay collection, and my u2 collection as well(not as big). they started commeting on that movie 40 year old virgin, saying how chris is a crackhead because he is too happy, how their music is nonsense and that MTF is just a publicity stunt. they also said that u2 should retire and coldplay should do the same early.

now everytime i see them, although i hang out with them all, they always slip a comment of being a "save the earth" followers, mocking me for liking bands that actually care for this world and those who live in.

sorry if i wrote to much...i just needed to say how much it angers me people taling shit about coldplay. no other band in this world is as criticized nowdays... :angry: :angry: :angry:

Now don't go and say I'm brainwashed or something, I don't dislike you, you don't dislike me, but if you can't find emotion in the songs on X&Y, I'm very sorry for you, because I can, and it's just brilliant. And if there is one band in the last years that didn't make their albums to live up to expactations, it's Coldplay, because they make their albums to live up to their own expactations, and beleive me, those are not the expactations of the public. And the bullshit that they sound to much like U2 is rubbish, because Coldplay is original, and U2 is the same song over and over again. They USED to be good, now they keep repeating. But that's my opinion, everybody has an opinion, I respect yours...

lets be honest...

Coldplay has lost a bit of the 'touch my soul' emotion... X&Y is like a machine.. I don't care for it too often. Its been in my car since I bought it, and I honestly think I've played it like 8x max... and thats not listening to it the whole way thru. I feel it lacks emotion. You can defo hear the trouble Chris had writing this one.. the music on the other hand.. still sounds like good'ol Coldplay, just over produced giving it that impersonal touch. Parachutes=amazing.. AROBTTH=impressive.. and ground breaking compared to the first. But this album... hmm I dunno. There was a time I would listen to Coldplay everyday... without fail... now, I just listen to other stuff.

Coldplay has changed.. as much as they want to try and stay humble.. and they do sorta pull it off.. they have to realize how HUGE they are... how can it not effect them.

sorry if i wrote to much...i just needed to say how much it angers me people taling shit about coldplay. no other band in this world is as criticized nowdays...

thats because the world has notice of them now... and they has mounds of pressure added to them.. people comparing them to U2 didn't help the matter much either..

I think the reason why most of the people dont like x&y is because we all expected something even more amazing than AROBTTH and they tried to give it to us, they really did, but at the same time it made it sound too overproduced

I am one of the ones that listens to x&y all the time, everyday---its been forever since i dont listen to parachutes and arobtth :smug:

i think that all the albums posses a certain singularity. it is impossible to compare one with the other. so, when people criticize them...its because they havent heard the whole trilogy. its like watching a LOTR movie withouth wathing the other two, there's no way you can understand the progression of something. lyrically or musically.

Now this maybe a dumb question, but I honestly don't know what they are doing at this moment, besides touring... when are they going in the studio and record their 4th masterpiece in a row? next year? I hope they'll bring out a few new songs troughout the year, would be VERY VERY VERY nice...

(oh how I love Swallowed in the sea, sitting with my girl at the beach, nice weather, a blanket over our shoulders, just listening to the music and enjoying the moment... *sigh*)